HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Patrick Wiercioch

Old
03-22-2011, 07:34 AM
KarlssonRegin

vCash: 500
Patrick Wiercioch

According to Allen Panzieri Patrick Wiercioch has been called up and is going to make his nhl debut today.

KarlssonRegin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 07:37 AM
Cat Herder
Formerly BigSensFan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlssonRegin View Post
According to Allen Panzieri Patrick Wiercioch has been called up and is going to make his nhl debut today.
So they DID call up Bingo's worst D-Man

I had hopes for this kid, but he hsa been brutal (from what I hear).. hopefully he turns it around

Cat Herder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 07:40 AM
sens83

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSensFan View Post
So they DID call up Bingo's worst D-Man

I had hopes for this kid, but he hsa been brutal (from what I hear).. hopefully he turns it around
He has progressed from the start of the season...somewhat.

He's got on the PP recently and made some things happen, his D has been mediocre. He also looks really odd skating, think beanpole on skates.

sens83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 07:40 AM
Sensfanman

This will be very interesting. I suspect he'll get ~10-12 minutes with 2nd unit PP time after Karlsson and Kuba.

I do suspect him to get torched a few times though. Hopefully he learns from his errors ala Karlsson and doesn't get crushed by them ala Elliott.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 07:42 AM
RedWhiteBlackGold

Well this won't hurt Bingo and it won't hurt us so smart move. It will also give Wiercioch a taste of the NHL and give him an idea of where he needs to get to play in this league.

03-22-2011, 08:05 AM
Swedish Mafia
Baby got Backstrom

Last edited by RedWhiteBlackGold: 03-22-2011 at 08:29 AM. Reason: fixed video
Swedish Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 08:27 AM
Karlssonlee

Sweet. Can't wait to see him play.

He's been kinda forgotten with our othe bluchip prospect developing so well

Karlssonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Karl Cowensson
Two Headed Monster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlssonlee View Post
Sweet. Can't wait to see him play.

He's been kinda forgotten with our othe bluchip prospect developing so well
Never really considered Wiercioch a bluechip, he's definitely a boom/bust prospect with a ton of offensive upside. He'll be a project for sure, but with Cowen, Karlsson and Rundblad all on the fast track, I actually think it will be good for his development to spend 2 or 3 seasons in the AHL.

Karl Cowensson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:00 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Nice. Hopefully we get to see PW and EK work the PP together at some point.

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:03 AM
newtron

Despite the slow start he's had to his pro career, he's still a key prospect for us. We have some high end defensive prospects who come advertised as being one-dimensional (Karlsson and Runblad on the offensive side and Cowen and Gryba on the defensive side... not that Gryba should be considered high-end). Weircioch is our only prospect who was advertised as a complete player.

It will be nice to see him develop. Sounds like a hig carb, heavy weight-lifting summer will go a long way for him.

newtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:32 AM
SENSational Sens Fan

Great! Looking forward to seeing him play!

SENSational Sens Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:36 AM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtron View Post
Despite the slow start he's had to his pro career, he's still a key prospect for us. We have some high end defensive prospects who come advertised as being one-dimensional (Karlsson and Runblad on the offensive side and Cowen and Gryba on the defensive side... not that Gryba should be considered high-end). Weircioch is our only prospect who was advertised as a complete player.

It will be nice to see him develop. Sounds like a hig carb, heavy weight-lifting summer will go a long way for him.
I think think that Weir has the highest top end ceiling of all our defensive prospects.

But so far, he has lived up to every scouting report in that he's really raw and unpolished, and an extreme boom-bust player.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:43 AM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyBass View Post
I think think that Weir has the highest top end ceiling of all our defensive prospects.

But so far, he has lived up to every scouting report in that he's really raw and unpolished, and an extreme boom-bust player.
I don't think so. Rundblad is a better prospect offensively than Weircioch. Weiricioch is good - but if he hits his potential he's a top 4 blueliner who can skate and move the puck. He has great size and vision. Could definitely be a big time asset for us. Rundblad is gifted though; it's an extremely small list of players who score 50 points in the SEL from the blue line at any age.

Karlsson isn't really a prospect, but I'd rate Karlsson far ahead too.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:45 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

In an interview with KK about a month ago, talking about Wiercioch, he said he didn't know why there was so much hype around him or where it came from.

He wasn't saying he doesn't have potential, but that people were obviously getting ahead of things.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:50 AM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWP View Post
In an interview with KK about a month ago, talking about Wiercioch, he said he didn't know why there was so much hype around him or where it came from.
He wasn't saying he doesn't have potential, but that people were obviously getting ahead of things.

It fell to coach Kurt Kleinendorst to convince Wiercioch that he wasn’t there yet, but would be soon if he was willing to do the work.

“I think that the early expectations that were placed on him were a little bit unfair,” Kleinendorst said. “I just feel like, once I got to know Patty a little bit, it wasn’t really fair. I saw what it had done to him. It built him up and he thought he was so close.”

Since then, the coach said, Wiercioch has delivered on and off the ice.

“The challenge was to be the best player you can be at the rink and away from the rink, that you make good choices in what you do socially and how you take care of yourself — view your body as your temple so to speak,” Kleinendorst said.

“You come in early every day, stay late every day and whatever we’re selling, you’re buying. He has done everything asked.”

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...#ixzz1HL9DHe36

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:55 AM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Ive heard any number of times that few rookies have ever come into a Sens camp (last year and to a lesser extent this year) with such an enormously high opinion of himself.
Apparently the guys simply ripped him to shreds and spared no expense in tearing him down to size. It had a huge impact on him.

It seems as though the tough "love" is paying off.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:03 AM
koreaboy

i agree with KK- i've never understood why there is so much hype around this kid. i just don't see it. he's big and lanky and it looks like he might be a good skater for his size, but i just kinda laugh when i hear the talk about how huge his potential is and how he might even be "our best prospect".

i don't think the kid is a lock to make the NHL, forget about him being our "best prospect". i will be watching him closely tonight.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:11 AM
Sensfanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreaboy View Post
i agree with KK- i've never understood why there is so much hype around this kid. i just don't see it. he's big and lanky and it looks like he might be a good skater for his size, but i just kinda laugh when i hear the talk about how huge his potential is and how he might even be "our best prospect".

i don't think the kid is a lock to make the NHL, forget about him being our "best prospect". i will be watching him closely tonight.
When you watch him play, you see sparks of what he could be. A great skater, good instincts, good vision, good hands and a solid shot selection to go with great size. Look at Cowen at 6'5 235, he's miles ahead in development and still has coordination issues but is definitely NHL ready. Wiercioch is barely 200 (is he even there yet?) and has so much room to grow. His base skill set is great for moving the puck but he has the natural gift of size that he can learn to leverage. Basically, he's got all the tools to be elite but they are not even close to being a full package yet. That's why he might end up being out best defenseman but at the same time, he might never make it to the NHL. Right now, I'd peg his projection at something like Kuba but he could go anywhere from borderline NHLer to Mike Green to Scott Niedermayer; which is why he's so intriguing.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Wondercarrot
Classless

maybe im out on an island myself on this but i really thought in a couple of the games in preseason(?) he lookedquite good, and was waaay smooth with the puck.
Big stride, smooth hands - fankly i though he looked better than Cowen in some of what i saw.

i can see where people feel he show a lot of promise.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:15 AM
TheWeb

Quote:
i agree with KK- i've never understood why there is so much hype around this kid. ....
Plain and simple, he averaged a ppg as an 18 year old freshman d-man in the NCAA. It's an impressive stat line, and people extrapolated from that.

Quote:
Agree, he is not a lock. I actually think Gryba is more likely to have a long NHL career than Wiercioch.

TheWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:18 AM
D0C

Quote:

Same here. Classic case of fans and media over-hyping a player and in turn hindering his development based on expectations.

No chance of him being in the NHL as a regular anytime soon. I was more stoked about Gryba, but he too didn't have the best season, although they both are making improvements as of late.

Still looking forward to seeing him play with the rest of the boys. But good lord man, put on some size!! He's got the frame of a rack of chips.

D0C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:22 AM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:

He's not our best prospect. The best prospects are much closer and more assured of making the NHL then Weir.

However, if you watch the guy, you see all the tools that give him an intriguing upside. He has the frame to be a dominant physical player in that he's 6-3, even if at the moment he's quite lacky and doesn't have the muscle to support playing at that height yet. But being that big, he skates and stickhandles as well as somone that's 5-9, and has all the offensive instincts you want in point producing defenseman. It's as if you put Rundblad's talent in Cowen's body. That's where Weir's ceiling could be.

That being said, he's a long way off, and could very well never put his defensive game together. Or he might never be able to put the muscle he needs on his frame to handle the NHL. That's why he's such a risk.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
The kid has shown flashes of brilliance in the pre-season so it'll be interesting to see how he does tonight.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:28 AM
Suiteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0C View Post
Same here. Classic case of fans and media over-hyping a player and in turn hindering his development based on expectations.
Did the media really ever talk about him that much?

The fans I'll agree with you. In the offseason some were saying this guy was a darkhorse to making the big club this year yet he's been one of the worst d-men in Bingo. Last I heard was his game was more suited for the NHL than the AHL.

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:29 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyBass View Post
He's not our best prospect. The best prospects are much closer and more assured of making the NHL then Weir.

However, if you watch the guy, you see all the tools that give him an intriguing upside. He has the frame to be a dominant physical player in that he's 6-3, even if at the moment he's quite lacky and doesn't have the muscle to support playing at that height yet. But being that big, he skates and stickhandles as well as somone that's 5-9, and has all the offensive instincts you want in point producing defenseman. It's as if you put Rundblad's talent in Cowen's body. That's where Weir's ceiling could be.

That being said, he's a long way off, and could very well never put his defensive game together. Or he might never be able to put the muscle he needs on his frame to handle the NHL. That's why he's such a risk.
If you put rundblad's talent in Cowen's body, you might have the best defenseman that ever played hockey. I don't think Wiercioch's ceiling is close to that.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote