HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Hammond confirms jersey change for next season?

Old
03-22-2011, 09:26 AM
Whiskeypete

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsKnight View Post
Not sure where you'd find the crown patch since it's different from the crown on the throwbacks this year (the colors are switched)
There are shops that make custom embroidered crests. We had to have one made for an old team of mine. Unfortunately I don't recall the name of it. They are out there it's just a matter of looking for them. I think I know of a place here in Chicago that's a few miles away from me.

The bigger issue that may surface is having someone make/re-create a licensed logo. Some places will, some won't.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post
Exactly this. I would buy more than 1 authentic RBK purple and gold jersey if they would just ****ing sell them to me.

That looks great! Works really well, I think.

I think you could even still go with gold as the main color if they didn't want white for some reason, the key is to break it up more than they did in the past. Purple pants and purple helmets to start. If that's not enough, add purple yokes or even use the mainly purple socks. The problem before was that EVERYTHING was gold.
Jersey change only

Jersey change (also added white piping around the yoke) and used the same blue socks

Old
03-22-2011, 10:04 AM
Tonellisghost
CHILL WINSTON!

The crown patch is proving difficult so far. I will keep trying but finding someone to make the sweater was easy and not expensive. One place will make the Crown but it comes out to being sort of pricey. I will keep shopping today as time allows.

Tonellisghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:40 AM
lakingsgeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post
Exactly this. I would buy more than 1 authentic RBK purple and gold jersey if they would just ****ing sell them to me.

That looks great! Works really well, I think.

I think you could even still go with gold as the main color if they didn't want white for some reason, the key is to break it up more than they did in the past. Purple pants and purple helmets to start. If that's not enough, add purple yokes or even use the mainly purple socks. The problem before was that EVERYTHING was gold.
The Kings did wear gold tops with purple bottoms but for a handful of seasons they wore all gold. They wore the original simple design with purple pants before switching to the 80's purple and gold, which also had purple pants.

http://www.nhluniforms.com/Kings/Kings06.html

lakingsgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:52 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
to busy imo. ive always preferred traditional, old school style of jerseys. if it looks like it came from the 40's - 70's i'm game. once they started tinkering with them all the time, they vast majority are crap. never been a fan of 'modern' styles and the current 3rd falls into that category for me. swapping the colors to f blue and gold is the same as putting lipstick on pig - it's still a pig no matter how you dress it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
not a fan of that at all. Looks like a women's jersey.
I wasn't advocating that jersey.

And I like KingsKnight's design alot, but I'd like to see some sort of modern twist on it.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post

Maybe something that has the lines on the sleeves like the current thirds:
Why limit your design to the RBK template?

Hockey jerseys require:

- wide, straight, bottom horizontal stripe(s) - see Chi, NJ, NYR, NYI, etc
- no piping, anywhere
- no "city name" at bottom of jersey (this is as lame now as when it was introduced with the first purple/black/silver scheme - it's just magnified now with no bottom stripe)
- no underarm accent colors

If the Kings could follow the first 3 of these, I'd start by buying at least one new jersey. I haven't bought a single jersey since they dropped the bottom stripe, and I'd like to actually WANT to buy one again.

Butch 19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 12:50 PM
KingsKnight
Reclaim the Crown

Quote:
Jersey change only

Jersey change (also added white piping around the yoke) and used the same blue socks
I think if we were to go gold for our road unis, we should just go all the way back to the old gold uniform, but with the forum blue pants. But honestly I made the design mostly white because the original all-gold uniforms were pretty hard to look at IMO.

I just found that the only interchangeable part the nhl allows between road and home uniforms are the pants, so the socks you mocked up would have to match the jersey fyi. Also, in the original design I guess I would have to make the helmet white instead of purple. I'm not 100% sure on nhl uniform rules.

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 01:21 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

a jersey change is long overdue.

the vintage ones are not that bad, but seeing a big blob of purple reminds me of barney. if they changed the shade to a darker royal blue, with a bit of white mixed in, i think its a winner.

I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Whiskeypete

here is the other BIG issue i have with the change to this possible road jersey.

they are already close to it and i guarantee they already have mock-ups and the gals in marketing are excited and saying "those are so cute, i'm going to get one of those". the problem is the guys on the ice and fans are 1 degree of separation from this unholiest of unholy....(close your eyes and pray this **** doesnt surface).

i can hear the smack talk already from other team's fans if this load of dung surfaces

Old
03-22-2011, 03:08 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy View Post
a jersey change is long overdue.

the vintage ones are not that bad, but seeing a big blob of purple reminds me of barney. if they changed the shade to a darker royal blue, with a bit of white mixed in, i think its a winner.
I couldn't disagree more.

Purple=royalty, and it is a color that is unique to the Kings. Changing purple to dark blue will make them look like a handful of other teams.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 03:09 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
here is the other BIG issue i have with the change to this possible road jersey.

they are already close to it and i guarantee they already have mock-ups and the gals in marketing are excited and saying "those are so cute, i'm going to get one of those". the problem is the guys on the ice and fans are 1 degree of separation from this unholiest of unholy....(close your eyes and pray this **** doesnt surface).

i can hear the smack talk already from other team's fans if this load of dung surfaces
How is that worse than the pink/white jerseys that other teams sell?

Old
03-22-2011, 03:12 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

My ideal jersey combo is pretty close to the consensus on the main board:

Home: Current black third jerseys with a logo change.
Away: White version of the current black third jersey, also with a logo change.
Third: the purple/gold throwbacks.

That would be sick.

Old
03-22-2011, 03:19 PM
KingsKnight
Reclaim the Crown

Quote:
My ideal jersey combo is pretty close to the consensus on the main board:

Home: Current black third jerseys with a logo change.
Away: White version of the current black third jersey, also with a logo change.
Third: the purple/gold throwbacks.

That would be sick.
I have to agree. If they're going to go with the black and white jerseys, a logo change would be the best direction to go. Maybe a black/silver version of the current crown as has been mentioned here before. I don't know why they don't want the throwbacks for thirds, it seems like a no-brainer and a great way to honor the Kings' past.

Old
03-22-2011, 03:27 PM
bobafettish*

am i the only one who thinks the current purple and black scheme looks good....

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 04:21 PM
KingsKnight
Reclaim the Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
They're not bad, but I think most people associate the purple-black era with a lot of disappointment. It's not the jerseys, but what they represent. I guess all of our jerseys have come with ups and downs, but the purple-black era is still fresh in everyone's memory.

Old
03-22-2011, 04:58 PM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
to me it's to much black. i liked them better from 98-02 with the purple socks and purple band on the bottom. it provided better balance, because the colors played off each other better. i didn't like the shield logo though. ive always thought they should have had the crown on that jersey and at that point i think they would have had a very sharp all over uniform.

Quote:
They're not bad, but I think most people associate the purple-black era with a lot of disappointment. It's not the jerseys, but what they represent. I guess all of our jerseys have come with ups and downs, but the purple-black era is still fresh in everyone's memory.
ive followed some of the discussions on the era-disappointment convo's. i can see how some can identify particular eras based on what uni's the team wore. personally i don't, but to each their own. the way i look at it the team has gone through 4 distinct uniform eras (67-80, 80-88, 88-98 and 98 to present), none of them could be seen as better than the next. after all the team won nothing during it's entire history, so pointing the finger at any specific era to me is pointless.

Old
03-22-2011, 05:01 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
There are a few who like them.

Old
03-22-2011, 05:12 PM
Quattro

Quote:
I don't buy that, we had some good years in those jerseys and we had some TERRIBLE years in both the silver & black and especially purple & gold.

I like the current jerseys. I would like the thirds better with a crown instead of the home plate.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 06:06 PM
Moscowitz

so, essentially the current 3rds will be the exact same for next year or will there be modifications? (read: should I wait to get a new shirt?)

Moscowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 06:55 PM
KingsKnight
Reclaim the Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71111 View Post
so, essentially the current 3rds will be the exact same for next year or will there be modifications? (read: should I wait to get a new shirt?)
Personally, I would wait. I doubt they'll make any huge changes to the jersey itself (and probably not the logo), but they may add shoulder patches or change the numbers slightly (eg. putting an outline around them).

Old
03-22-2011, 07:09 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

Quote:
I couldn't disagree more.

Purple=royalty, and it is a color that is unique to the Kings. Changing purple to dark blue will make them look like a handful of other teams.

large blobs of purple look ridiculous. seeing them once in awhile might be interesting now, but no way they last as the primaries. our eyes would be in agony after the initial appeal wears off. but compared to our current 3rds (black and whites), at least it has some creativity to it. its just choosing between the better of the worst.

and royal blue is pretty royal.. that kind of dark blue is nowhere to be found in the league today and would make for a great primary that retains theme and creativity.

I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 07:11 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Opinions as to why they would pick those jerseys as their go to wear?

My bet is that they are just cheaper to make and that they are buying into that old "the Raiders colors have a psychological effect on winning and are the best selling colors too" b.s.

So much for creating your own identity thing that DL was talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Robitaille loves the black and white because he wore those colors in junior hockey.
Scoff at this as some of you will, but I believe the Man himself claims to be colorblind, and doesnt have the ability to see the depth of the color we all know as Forum Blue. (Maybe it was something floating in the water that told me --) But you can confirm that for your selves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Every new jersey is really popular.
except New Jersey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZIE King View Post
I'd rather have the Burger King jerseys than those piles of compost...
Uh . . . NO.

Last edited by DIEHARD the King fan: 03-22-2011 at 07:28 PM.
DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 07:27 PM
johnjm22

If we're going back to gang member jerseys, than I'd prefer the NWA logo over the home plate.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 07:38 PM
cnshockey
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Quote:
I'm a big fan of the throwback uniforms. Before I saw them on the team this year I wouldn't have thought they looked that good, but they really come together as a whole uniform. I don't believe in the "black jerseys sell" approach. A good team will sell jerseys regardless. Imagine how Detroit would look if they switched to black just to sell jerseys. I'm pretty sure the success of their team is what drives sales of bright red jerseys.

In going with the throwback theme, I've been thinking about what the away versions would look like. I think most people agree that the mostly yellow jersey with purple stripes is a pretty ugly. A white version with purple and gold accents might be a better direction:

holy sexy...

cnshockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 07:45 PM
Tonellisghost
CHILL WINSTON!

Quote:

My wife says she wants the pink one for a nightshirt and or a jogging shirt. You might have created a monster among some of the wives with that one.

Tonellisghost is offline   Reply With Quote