HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Engqvist up, Palushaj down (Engqvist & Dawes down now)

Old
03-21-2011, 10:53 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

vCash: 500
It makes sense. Palushaj didn't light it up and was a bit of a liability in his zone, Enqvist will be a safer player on the ice at all times. I think Enqvist might be a player who strives in the playoffs where play is a bit slower and harder on defense.

Palushaj will be back next year, he's shown good things but he needs another year, as previously stated.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:33 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post
It makes sense. Palushaj didn't light it up and was a bit of a liability in his zone, Enqvist will be a safer player on the ice at all times. I think Enqvist might be a player who strives in the playoffs where play is a bit slower and harder on defense.

Palushaj will be back next year, he's shown good things but he needs another year, as previously stated.
Palushaj got a taste of the NHLs speed and roughness. Now he knows how much he needs to improve and gain some weight.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:39 PM
Delat

I think it's to see what we have for the playoffs more than replacing someone. Gauthier and Martin need to know if he can play in case on injuries again. He know Palushaj can contribute a bit, but it's not a bad idea to test every AHLer you have just in case.

Delat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:40 PM
BigTime

good move, he fits better in the bottom 6. this move only makes sense and doesnt hurt palusaj since he needs more time with the dogs

BigTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 12:01 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
I think if they call-up Conboy this season, it will hurt his devellopement. With his style of play, he's gonna get rocked in the NHL.
Agree, while I cant wait to see him with the Habs, his role is very important and not easy, at least 50% is in the head so I would let him play another season inn the AHL with some callups next year if he deserves it.. Im looking for him in 2 years from now when Moen's contract expire..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 01:19 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Hate reading between the lines, but is calling up a centre and sending down a winger proof that Plekanec's injury might be more serious than we thought? Hope not...

Agree with most of the sentiments here: Engqvist was solid in his first call-up this year, Palushaj definitely needs some more seasoning. Don't have a problem with this, whatever the reason behind it may be.
Engqvist is a defensive type player. We have no one who can replace Plekanec, but if we did need someone, that would be Palushaj who may look a step behind the game, but he's more likely to produce offensively than Engqvist. Engqvist is to help our ****** pp with his faceoff ability, his naturally skilled aspect in that area and the fact that he's 6'4 and takes up room on the ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Just odd that they called up palushaj just to send him down and recall engqvist. If they wanted a PK'er, there was no reason to call up palushaj as engqvist is definitely the guy to call on for that. Now to waste a call-up for the switch?
If I'm not mistaken, Engqvist was hurt at the time of the callups.

To Call up Conboy would be a mistake. At this point in time he's bound to be playing top 6 minutes. A player like that playing top 6 minutes is better than playing bottom 6 minutes in a league he could be a step behind as well. He might make the team next year, if not he'll be called up a couple of times. Probably a year away, same with Palushaj. Engqvist could very well be ready next year and replace Halpern. This guy is surprisingly good on faceoffs. He's not physical, but he will use his size in the cycle game. Pyatt and Dawes to rush in and keep the puck contained until Engqvist gets out could be a solid 4th line.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 01:22 AM
dre

Quote:
Just odd that they called up palushaj just to send him down and recall engqvist. If they wanted a PK'er, there was no reason to call up palushaj as engqvist is definitely the guy to call on for that. Now to waste a call-up for the switch?

Even though it still is wasting a call-up, perhaps they wanted to reward Palushaj for his play and give him a taste of NHL pace, physicality. In years past the Habs called up players like Desharnais, Trotter, Maxwell, Weber, White, Chipchura etc for a week or two just to let the players know that they are being watched, and to give them that experience.

Hopefully this move doesnt cost them down the road if there are more injury problems.

dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:42 AM
HabsNation514

I liked what I saw from Palushaj (does he have a nickname yet?). Hopefully he will be back soon.

HabsNation514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:43 AM
Jigger77

Yeah not too suprised. Palushaj looked out of place out there. Still needs some time in the AHL imo.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:46 AM
Bullsmith

This team has shown incredible depth this year. Hopefully Engqvist can compensate for his poor skating enough to contribute. He's got a lot of promise as a defensive player, although he's still awfully raw.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:03 AM
habsrock76

As someone mentioned earlier Palushaj looked alot like Pacioretty the first time he was called up; was easily knocked off the puck and lacked the stability to handle the physicality of the NHL.

He definitely needs to bulk up and work on his balance to be able to maximze his obvious offensive talent.

Last edited by habsrock76: 03-22-2011 at 10:18 AM.
habsrock76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Next Best Thing*

I know I speak for myself but I don't think Palushaj will make it in the NHL. At least not with the Canadiens, he just doesn't fit in our current mold, and brings nothing we don't already have in our top 6. Same could be said for D'Agostini, but at least he found his usefulness somewhere else.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:20 AM
Shred

Palushaj needs to bulk up. Skinniest guy I've seen on the Habs since Ribeiro.

Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:51 AM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsNation514 View Post
I liked what I saw from Palushaj (does he have a nickname yet?). Hopefully he will be back soon.
Pal maybe? Not much to work with with a name like that

Dirty Danglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 11:41 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsNation514 View Post
How about Plush/Plushie? (urban dictionary link) Good ol' fashioned slightly derisive nickname that's easy to yell out during a game.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 11:45 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Platches.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 11:57 AM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy piton View Post
it probably means that pleky won't be back soon
Hopefully it's Halpern who won't be back quickly.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 12:06 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
How about Plush/Plushie? (urban dictionary link) Good ol' fashioned slightly derisive nickname that's easy to yell out during a game.
Pal or Shajjy

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
You realize White was a call-up right?
Yea but the guy had been with the team before, it's been up and down with him. And it's like he fell on their laps and start fighting left and right something he had not been doing that much before his recent call-up.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 12:50 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Can someone tell me what type of player Engqvist is? What role does he play in Hamilton?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
Why else would you call-up so late in the season?
This is a prime example of a reason other than injuries that you would call someone up late in the season. The player you are sending down, simply isn't good enough or doesn't fit your current needs.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 12:52 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Can someone tell me what type of player Engqvist is? What role does he play in Hamilton?

This is a prime example of a reason other than injuries that you would call someone up late in the season. The player you are sending down, simply isn't good enough or doesn't fit your current needs.
Engqvist will be used in a shutdown/defensive role. He's fantastic on the PK and IIRC he's good on draws as well. He's not very fancy, but he's smart.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 01:31 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Yea but the guy had been with the team before, it's been up and down with him. And it's like he fell on their laps and start fighting left and right something he had not been doing that much before his recent call-up.
I'm not sure I follow you. You're saying White was soft when they called him up?

Or are you saying that when they call-up someone gritty it doesn't count and you chose to ignore it?

Edit : Also, glad to see Engqvist back. I like the guy and I wish he's our 4th line center next year.

Guilliam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 01:44 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

I like this. I like what I've seen from Engqvist and Palushaj just wasn't ready yet.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 01:44 PM
GoHomez

Quote:
Engqvist will be used in a shutdown/defensive role. He's fantastic on the PK and IIRC he's good on draws as well. He's not very fancy, but he's smart.
Agreed.
He contributed offensively in his last season in the SEL, roughly .5 ppg and then something like 13 pts in 16 PO games.
He worked out fine on the second PP wave but his lack of speed will probably prevent him from scoring at that rate in the NHL. Still I think he could be decent offensively for a 3rd/4th liner.

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 01:52 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post
He worked out fine on the second PP wave but his lack of speed will probably prevent him from scoring at that rate in the NHL. Still I think he could be decent offensively for a 3rd/4th liner.
He is a pretty big guy right. Could he handle the job standing in front of the net?

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote