HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

2011 Injury Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2011, 11:51 PM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHB View Post
Your reasoning is off. A scratched cornea does not cause excessive bleeding around the eye. Also, it is not treated through surgery. The three possibilities I listed earlier (retrobulbar hemorrhage, optic canal fracture, and ruptured globe injury) are distinct diagnoses. They can occur together, but they are not subsets of each other.

Ah, I understand. The three diagnoses are not subsets of the other, can overlap, and don't describe extremes along a linear path (based on the symptoms we had witnessed).

On the scratched cornea, I was a little confused by the following wiki account of Steve Yzerman (the eye of the player seen posted in a picture by VanEric):

On May 1, 2004, Yzerman was hit in the eye by a deflected slapshot by the Calgary Flames defenseman Rhett Warrener in a playoff game against the Calgary Flames, breaking his orbital bone and scratching his cornea. He underwent eye surgery following the incident, and was sidelined for the rest of the 2004 post-season. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Yzerman)

It says he required surgery after the incident, but that could be due to the broken orbital bone, and not the scratched cornea. In any event, your statement outlining that surgery is not required for a broken orbital bone certainly clears things up. Thank you.

Last edited by Bleach Clean: 03-22-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old
03-22-2011, 05:38 AM
MrJonas

God forbid that he turns blind on one eye, but if he does and is still able to come back I seriously hope that he wears a full helmet visor for the rest of his career.

Last edited by MrJonas: 03-22-2011 at 05:57 AM.
Old
03-22-2011, 07:55 AM
Sebastion

there have always been eye injuries but surely in over 100 years of hockey, most of which has been played without eye protection, that someone has suffered a ruptured globe before, if that's indeed what Manny has suffered. can anyone dig up an example and what it has meant for their career or permanent eyesight or whatever? i'd google it but i don't want to see any gross pictures.

KHB, how can you do what you do? eye injuries are really gross

Old
03-22-2011, 08:29 AM
MrJonas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastion View Post
there have always been eye injuries but surely in over 100 years of hockey, most of which has been played without eye protection, that someone has suffered a ruptured globe before, if that's indeed what Manny has suffered. can anyone dig up an example and what it has meant for their career or permanent eyesight or whatever? i'd google it but i don't want to see any gross pictures.
I don't know specifically about ruptured globes, but Mattias Weinhandl got hit with a stick in 1999 and has managed to play with only 10% sight in his left eye since then.

Old
03-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Here's a thought I had recently... We're all obsessing over our 3rd line; it was our biggest improvement, all champion teams had great 3rd lines, this years line is such an upgrade to last years etc. etc.

Well, I'm not sure if you remember, but that Raymond-Wellwood-Bernier line was often thought of as one of our best lines in the post season. They did it in a different way than this years Torres-Malhotra-Hansen line: they controlled the puck via creating offense and keeping it in the oppositions zone. Each of the past 2 seasons after being eliminated, never did we think "we lost that series as a result of our 3rd lines play." Now, this year, we did in fact upgrade our 3rd line and it'd be hard to argue otherwise. But that's not to say we can't succeed without Malhotra being on it.

What's a better 3rd line in your opinion? Raymond-Wellwood-Bernier, or our new 3rd line of Torres/Raymond-LaPierre-Hansen?

My point is despite losing Malhotra, I still think our 3rd line is better than last year.

Old
03-22-2011, 12:12 PM
RewBicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
H

What's a better 3rd line in your opinion? Raymond-Wellwood-Bernier, or our new 3rd line of Torres/Raymond-LaPierre-Hansen?

My point is despite losing Malhotra, I still think our 3rd line is better than last year.
I agree with you. This team is still much better than last year's. The "Manny effect" has much to do with it, and I don't think it's going to wear off just because he's not around. The fact of the matter is that, with this year's defense, last year's team would have given Chicago a much better run than they did.

Old
03-22-2011, 01:03 PM
Kmode

Quote:

An upgrade on last year's 3rd line doesn't mean much. Although this line may be better than last year's 3rd line, is it good enough to win a cup?

Old
03-22-2011, 01:04 PM
VanEric

Quote:

I agree with your points but the third line last year was usually Demitra/Glass/Hansen-Wellwood-Bernier. Raymond was up on the second line with Kesler. The Raymond-Wellwood-Bernier line was good the year before.

Welly's a better player then Lapierre but Lapierre has the potential to bring a different element. Hansen is much improved over last season. As cold as Raymond has been this year, he still brings more effort to the table every night then Demo ever did.

I'd take our bottom six as a whole without Malhotra over the bottom six of last year. AV still has a bunch of options moving Higgins, Samuelsson, Raymond, Hansen, and Torres around until he finds the right balance.

Old
03-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

The problem last year was the defence much more than it was the forwards. The Canucks have upgraded O'Brien and Alberts for Hamhuis and Ballard (or a much better Alberts) as well as having a good Bieksa instead of his terrible play last playoffs (plus they have a much better Luongo as well).

Old
03-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmode View Post
An upgrade on last year's 3rd line doesn't mean much. Although this line may be better than last year's 3rd line, is it good enough to win a cup?
There is always going to be that question, even with Manny. People who say we lost our shot at the cup are morons IMO. Manny is a big part of the team but it's not like this team doesn't have the ability to win games without him. Jesus...we have 2 of the top 3 scorers in the league, a 36 goal Selke front runner, one of the top 3 goalies in the league, the #1 PP, the #1 PK, 6 top 4 defensemen (hopefully) and a good supporting cast...but its all down the drain because we lost Manny? Get a grip people. If this team can't overcome an injury to their 3rd line center then they have no business talking about a cup.

Old
03-22-2011, 01:23 PM
ItWasTheCat

vCash: 73
I agree with what has been said.

Our third line this years is definitely an upgrade, and as much of a blow it is to lose Malhotra, I still believe it is better than last year.

But then again, it is not 'just' your third line that wins you games.

Kesler has stepped up his game compared to last year.
The Sedins are as good, if not better than last year.
Our D - with the additions of Ballard and Hamhuis is better. Not forgetting the fact that Edler was having a career year (and hopefully can slot right back into that type of play), Bieksa is playing a lot more solid and Alberts has greatly improved compared to last year.

And finally, should Luongo have another meltdown in the playoffs, we have a viable option in Schneider - so our goaltending is much better than last year.

I'm excited for the playoffs. Malhotra is a class guy and it's sad to not see him be a part of this, but nonetheless, I feel like we'll make a very good run at the cup this year.

Old
03-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Ya, the other thing to remember is our Western Conference opponents are dealing with some serious injuries as well...want to try an impact injury? Bolland might be out for the playoffs with a concussion, and Sharp is limping around with a leg injury for Chicago. Hiller is a far cry from a sure thing for the post-season in Anaheim and Datsyuk and Franzen are currently nursing injuries for Detroit.

Old
03-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmode View Post
You missed a part of my point. I feel the 3rd line we had last year was good enough to win a cup, as they certainly weren't the reason we lost at all. Since this year is an upgrade, yes I believe they are good enough. It won't come down to the 3rd line, it will come down to guys like Burrows, Kesler, Raymond, and Samuelsson being able to put up secondary scoring when we need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
I agree with your points but the third line last year was usually Demitra/Glass/Hansen-Wellwood-Bernier. Raymond was up on the second line with Kesler. The Raymond-Wellwood-Bernier line was good the year before.

Welly's a better player then Lapierre but Lapierre has the potential to bring a different element. Hansen is much improved over last season. As cold as Raymond has been this year, he still brings more effort to the table every night then Demo ever did.

I'd take our bottom six as a whole without Malhotra over the bottom six of last year. AV still has a bunch of options moving Higgins, Samuelsson, Raymond, Hansen, and Torres around until he finds the right balance.
I did check some GDT from last playoffs before posting and it seems like quite often Demitra was up with Kesler and Samuelsson, or even Kesler and Burrows, while Raymond was on the 3rd.

Look at the stats from last post season of some of our main point getters, I think this shows what the problem was.. It wasn't our 3rd line.

Kesler with 1 goal in 12 games
Raymond with 4 points in 12 games
Burrows with 6 points in 12 games
Demitra with 6 points in 11 games
Grabner with 1 point in 9 games

Our secondary scoring dried up to the extent that Wellwood was our best secondary scorer when Samuelsson was up with the twins (as he was for much of last playoffs).

Old
03-22-2011, 02:05 PM
Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Ya, the other thing to remember is our Western Conference opponents are dealing with some serious injuries as well...want to try an impact injury? Bolland might be out for the playoffs with a concussion, and Sharp is limping around with a leg injury for Chicago. Hiller is a far cry from a sure thing for the post-season in Anaheim and Datsyuk and Franzen are currently nursing injuries for Detroit.
It's true, you have to expect a certain amount of injuries, but it still sucks when it happens to you. Especially when it hits a player that is so difficult to replace, given that the Canucks' main weakness is depth at center, despite the strength of their top-3.

Plus, even though there are injuries on a lot of teams, the concern is that the one you're matched up against is healthy where it counts, which can be a huge disadvantage -- it doesn't matter all that much if teams in other series are carrying injuries until you actually face them.

Old
03-22-2011, 02:33 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

It's tough to lose a guy that's either #1 or 2 in several important categories such as faceoffs taken and % won, SH TOI, blocked shots, takeaways etc. but we've got a deep team and we will rise to the challenge. Luongo is looking exceptional this year and if he's focused and on his game without being rattled in the playoffs, it eases some of the responsibilities of forwards and D. Speaking of D, that will also offset some of the defensive pressure on the forwards with them returning to health slowly. Malhotra is a key component to our defensive game, but champions find ways to win. If this team is meant to win, they will work their ass off and find a way. A huge injury like this can really pull a team together to work through the adversity - let's see what we're made of.

Old
03-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Wetcoaster

A couple of takes on what Malhotra's absence may mean to the Canucks.

Cam Cole - Wake-Up Call: Malhotra injury forces Canucks to step up or fall by the wayside
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/W...#ixzz1HMK61p5u

Jim Jamieson - Malhotra's absence leaves a huge gap in Canucks' lineup
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ma...#ixzz1HMKDr8sC

Iain MacIntyre - Manny Malhotra 'with us in spirit’: Canucks’ faceoff ace officially out for rest of NHL season, playoffs
http://www.vancouversun.com/health/M...#ixzz1HMKZO4Bw

Old
03-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Bucky Katt

Comments from Manny Malhotra per his Facebook account:

"Looks like you guys have heard the news already, thanks a lot for all the wishes. Its been an awesome first year here, never played hockey in a market like this where theres so much passion for the game. Going to feel weird not skating on the ice for the next little but health is first and as long as I'm out, I'm gonna be their #1 fan. ps. anyone know where I can buy a visor? Lol"

Old
03-22-2011, 03:14 PM
lush
@jasonlush

I'm mainly concerned about the impact on our PK without Manny

Old
03-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lush View Post
I'm mainly concerned about the impact on our PK without Manny
The best thing we can do to help our PK while Manny is out is to not take as many penalties. We've been better this year but there is still room for improvement there. I think we still have a very good #1 PK unit and the 2nd unit isn't bad either. Faceoffs is the only real on ice concern I have without Manny.

Old
03-22-2011, 03:31 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Katt View Post
Comments from Manny Malhotra per his Facebook account:

"Looks like you guys have heard the news already, thanks a lot for all the wishes. Its been an awesome first year here, never played hockey in a market like this where theres so much passion for the game. Going to feel weird not skating on the ice for the next little but health is first and as long as I'm out, I'm gonna be their #1 fan. ps. anyone know where I can buy a visor? Lol"
Great to hear Manny is at least in a good mood

Old
03-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Crows*

As long as the powerplay continues to be fantastic the Malholtra loss is less than it would be say.. Last year... If need be in A series we still have a selke calibre centre in kesler to go up against top players.

The powerplay will determine If this team sinks or swims.

Old
03-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jets View Post
Great to hear Manny is at least in a good mood
Agreed(provided the Facebook account is legit). Get well soon, Manny.

Old
03-22-2011, 03:53 PM
Crows*

As long as the powerplay continues to be fantastic the Malholtra loss is less than it would be say.. Last year... If need be in A series we still have a selke calibre centre in kesler to go up against top players.

The powerplay will determine If this team sinks or swims.

Old
03-22-2011, 04:14 PM
settinguptheplay
Classless Canuck Fan

I have no doubt that Manny will be missed. But we still have a great FO guy in Kesler and a good one in Hank. Not to mention this team is full of quality PKer's such as Burrows, Kesler, Hansen, Raymond etc. I have faith that this team can over come its obstacles and still have a successful season.

That being said.... Hurry back Manny we miss you!

Old
03-22-2011, 04:15 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Agreed(provided the Facebook account is legit). Get well soon, Manny.
Seems fairly legit actually.