HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Have the Rochester crew finally developed into leaders?

Old
03-22-2011, 02:02 PM
Husko

vCash: 500
Have the Rochester crew finally developed into leaders?

I've been thinking about this for awhile and I think the answer is yes. The core group, who have been identified as the core, are finally taking a stride past being good players, but also being the leaders on this team.

Aside from Hecht, the As are being rotated between Pominville, Gaustad, and Vanek. No aging vets like Grier or Neids. No putting it on a defenseman just because. But three players who have been with the team their entire careers are stepping up.

And it goes beyond just wearing a letter. Vanek is taking the blunt of criticism in a game where Andrej Sekera blew it bad. Gaustad's voice is being heard all the way back to the press from the non-access area.

I like what I'm seeing.

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Yea; I guess they have

The real question is, have they developed into good leaders...If they lead the team to the palyoffs and make a bit of nose- Sure. If they crumble under the pressure- Mehhhhh

I'm liking what I'm seeing on the ice, and I really like what I'm hearing off the ice.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 03:05 PM
skibum

Maybe, but I feel more like the Portland guys have stepped up even more - Sekera, Ennis, Gerbe, Weber, and even non-AHL Myers seem to be making more clutch plays than the old Rochester guys lately. Could you imagine how awful the Sabres would be if these guys weren't exceeding expectations right now? I almost see a changing of the guard happening, even though the ex-Amerks are still in their prime.

I guess the old Amerks are the kings of the locker room, but I don't watch games believing in my heart that Gaustad, Pominville, or Vanek are going to come through with that game-saving goal in the final minutes (the way I felt with Drury and Briere). I feel like Roy is the only one of the bunch that consistently gets it done on the ice. The other guys just like to talk a lot.

skibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 06:24 PM
MillsyMyers30

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum View Post
Maybe, but I feel more like the Portland guys have stepped up even more - Sekera, Ennis, Gerbe, Weber, and even non-AHL Myers seem to be making more clutch plays than the old Rochester guys lately. Could you imagine how awful the Sabres would be if these guys weren't exceeding expectations right now? I almost see a changing of the guard happening, even though the ex-Amerks are still in their prime.

I guess the old Amerks are the kings of the locker room, but I don't watch games believing in my heart that Gaustad, Pominville, or Vanek are going to come through with that game-saving goal in the final minutes (the way I felt with Drury and Briere). I feel like Roy is the only one of the bunch that consistently gets it done on the ice. The other guys just like to talk a lot.
sekera and weber played for rochester as well.

MillsyMyers30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 06:34 PM
ct2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillsyMyers30 View Post
sekera and weber played for rochester as well.
Correct. To be more precise Sekera never even played for the Pirates. So @skibum the only Ex-Pirates whose play have exceeded my expectations are Ennis and Gerbe. Weber would be in this group too, but his play has tailed off as of late. Butler has probably played better lately than Weber.

Well, if Pominville would play like he did after his concussion or if Vanek would play like he did last season, you really think that makes less difference than Ennis, Gerbe and Weber playing like they do? I don't think so. As good as the rookies have been, Vanek and Pominville have been our two best and most consistent forwards since Roy went down.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
I've been thinking about this for awhile and I think the answer is yes. The core group, who have been identified as the core, are finally taking a stride past being good players, but also being the leaders on this team.

Aside from Hecht, the As are being rotated between Pominville, Gaustad, and Vanek. No aging vets like Grier or Neids. No putting it on a defenseman just because. But three players who have been with the team their entire careers are stepping up.

And it goes beyond just wearing a letter. Vanek is taking the blunt of criticism in a game where Andrej Sekera blew it bad. Gaustad's voice is being heard all the way back to the press from the non-access area.

I like what I'm seeing.
Certainly, Miller proved to be the first legitimate leader from the "Amerk-Five" alumni - Gaustad showed small doses every so often but it's good to read stories about him being very vocal now, and even more reassuring to see Vanek back up his leadership-type talk in the locker room interviews with his play and work habits on the ice.

However, despite him wearing the 'C' in the past and an 'A' at other times, I'm not convinced that Pominville will ever be a "put-the-team-on-my-back-and-I'll-lead-them" type, nor will Roy.

But, I'm sure 3 out of 5 isn't a bad percentage in Regier's mind.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 07:32 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

I think Vanek has made some real progress this year.

And I'm a big fan of the improvements we've seen in post-concussion Pominville's game. I haven't seen him spend this much time in the slot in... 3 years? He seems to be playing with a bit of an edge, and that's great.

I think it's early to say that they're real leaders, in the sense that we need right now, but maybe one of them will be next year.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote