HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Kuhnhackl signs three-year entry level contract

Old
03-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Kuhnhackl signs three-year entry level contract

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...wt-pghpenguins

Seems to be coming along well now, hopefully see him in action for WBS and Pittsburgh next season.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 04:24 PM
Sideline

vCash: 500
I'll say the same thing here that I said in the prospect thread: the big news is that he's now 192 lbs. Given that he was 170ish on draft day it's a great amount of progress. It's not inconceivable for him to be pro (AHL) sized in time for camp in the fall.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 04:26 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

2 Koons in the organization....hmmm. I guess Kuhnhackl's nickname could be Knock...quite a dilemma.

HuskerTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 04:27 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerTornado View Post
2 Koons in the organization....hmmm. I guess Kuhnhackl's nickname could be Knock...quite a dilemma.
I'm going with:

Tom=> Tommy Boy => Farley

Old
03-22-2011, 04:28 PM
Skk82

Does Kuhnhackl is he eligible for the AHL this year (once his junior season is over)? Wouldn't he count as a European player -- since that's where he was playing the year before his draft? Don't know all the rules or why they'd time this signing now.

Even if he doesn't get into WB/S playoff games, just having him practice around the team and see the pros in action should be a good step for him this spring.

And would this mean AHL next year or back to the OHL? I wouldn't think that going back to Juniors to get big minutes (and try to play WJC-20 with Germany again) would be such a bad option, then jump to the pros for 2012-13.

Skk82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 04:29 PM
TopShelfGoal

Hoping he improves and develops well. He can play either LW or RW.

EDIT: I actually don't know much about him, but I did read that somewhere.

TopShelfGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 04:34 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skk82 View Post
Does Kuhnhackl is he eligible for the AHL this year (once his junior season is over)? Wouldn't he count as a European player -- since that's where he was playing the year before his draft? Don't know all the rules or why they'd time this signing now.

Even if he doesn't get into WB/S playoff games, just having him practice around the team and see the pros in action should be a good step for him this spring.

And would this mean AHL next year or back to the OHL? I wouldn't think that going back to Juniors to get big minutes (and try to play WJC-20 with Germany again) would be such a bad option, then jump to the pros for 2012-13.
He is technically a Euro pick so the Pens can put him in any league (NHL, AHL, ECHL, and OHL for sure. I think even European leagues).

Germany did not qualify for the WJC main tournament. They play in the qualifying tournament next year (against teams like France, Denmark, Kazakhstan etc.).

I haven't watched him for more than a month now, but depending on how his speed looks in the fall the AHL might be the best option for him. It looks like his size will be good enough for the pros and the baby Pens will have a lot of potential for roster turnover this off season.

Old
03-22-2011, 04:47 PM
WickedWrister

I'd personally like to see him spend another year in Windsor. Problem is that he would take up an overager as well as a european slot on the team.

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 04:51 PM
Bylsmagic

I don't follow major junior hockey at all, but I'm assuming Windsor made the playoffs? Doesn't that conflict with WB/S playoffs? If so, why sign him now?

Bylsmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 04:56 PM
Burgs

Kühnhackl won't be an overager since he doesn't turn 20 until February. You only count as overage when you're 20 before Jan 1 of a season.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Duck Paddy

Some of you guys amaze me. I have a hard enough time knowing anything about our AHL guys that don't get any time up in the bigs. How do you people keep tabs on the development of every prospect we draft?

Duck Paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 05:00 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bylsmagic View Post
I don't follow major junior hockey at all, but I'm assuming Windsor made the playoffs? Doesn't that conflict with WB/S playoffs? If so, why sign him now?
Yes, Windsor made the playoffs, but their playoffs start on Thursday and could hypothetically be over by March 30th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Paddy View Post
Some of you guys amaze me. I have a hard enough time knowing anything about our AHL guys that don't get any time up in the bigs. How do you people keep tabs on the development of every prospect we draft?
When you live in a QMJHL city and get the OHL package for free with Centre Ice it's hard not to follow the prospects.

Old
03-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Good. He's talent enough to merit it and seems to be working hard enough to deserve it.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Mordax
Abso-Buc'n-lutely

Quote:
this

Mordax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Get To Our Game
HFBoards Sponsor

Honestly, after getting Twitter and finding people to follow that cover specific junior or minor league teams, or general scouting websites/people, my knowledge of the CHL has shot way up.

Get To Our Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 05:11 PM
WickedWrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Kühnhackl won't be an overager since he doesn't turn 20 until February. You only count as overage when you're 20 before Jan 1 of a season.
Oops.

I assume that Windsor would love to have Kuhn back?

Old
03-22-2011, 05:13 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWrister View Post
Oops.

He'll have a spot for sure if he's sent back. He's pretty much a lock for 50 goals and 90+ points next year.

Old
03-22-2011, 05:15 PM
Burgs

With Ellis, Kassian, Johnston and Carnevale all leaving I think they absolutely want and need Kühnhackl and Khokhlachev back as key players next season.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 05:26 PM
WickedWrister

I am always a little confused by this, but when does his entry level contract kick in?

Old
03-22-2011, 05:31 PM
SirBrad

Quote:
Yeah no kidding.

Must not have wives and girlfriends sucking their time dry.

SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 05:37 PM
FlyingPenguin

Quote:
Oops.

Absolutely, yes. Kuhnhackl was (for a few months) wearing a letter earlier this year, and this was his first year in the organization.

He'd be a huge returnee in that he'd bring a lot of offensive ability and chemistry with Khokhlachev, making up our top line.

He'd be looked to as a a leader both in the room and on the ice for what's likely to be a really young Spits team next year. I'd love to see him back, he's a great player and seems like a really down-to-earth, hard working guy.

That said, he's got a bomb of a shot, good skating, pro size, and he's getting to be a physical force too, I wouldn't be too surprised to see him make WB/S next year. He certainly deserves the chances he'll get, given the signing.

FlyingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 05:37 PM
Sideline

Quote:
I am always a little confused by this, but when does his entry level contract kick in?
Not this year. It starts next season if he plays in the AHL or ECHL, it slides if he plays in the OHL.

Old
03-22-2011, 05:49 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
It kind of becomes an obsession I guess. Over time it gets worse. It goes from watching Ryan Whitney his freshman year to watching every German game you can catch to see a 4th round pick like Kuhn. Plus I live near Hersey so every time the baby pens come by I see the games, guys who post here live around junior teams, college teams ect...

Anybody think he is staying in Windsor for another year?

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 05:53 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
I'll say the same thing here that I said in the prospect thread: the big news is that he's now 192 lbs. Given that he was 170ish on draft day it's a great amount of progress. It's not inconceivable for him to be pro (AHL) sized in time for camp in the fall.
Hockeydb has him listed as 183. If he is 192 that's a pretty thick guy for 6'2'' but still room to add if he wants. I didn't realize he had put on that much size.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 06:08 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Hockeydb has him listed as 183. If he is 192 that's a pretty thick guy for 6'2'' but still room to add if he wants. I didn't realize he had put on that much size.
The link in the OP has him at 192 and that's the Pens official site so I'm confident in that number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
It kind of becomes an obsession I guess. Over time it gets worse. It goes from watching Ryan Whitney his freshman year to watching every German game you can catch to see a 4th round pick like Kuhn. Plus I live near Hersey so every time the baby pens come by I see the games, guys who post here live around junior teams, college teams ect...

Anybody think he is staying in Windsor for another year?
I don't think he has anything left to prove in the OHL. He was scoring at a 50 goal pace after his first 10 games and when you consider the OHL season is 68 games that's a huge number.