HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thornton for Jagr

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2005, 08:49 AM
phishman3579

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to phishman3579 Send a message via AIM to phishman3579 Send a message via Yahoo to phishman3579
Thornton for Jagr

NEW YORK POST: Larry Brooks reports the Boston Bruins might end up shopping forward Joe Thornton to a team willing to sign him up long-term before he become a UFA next summer. Brooks expects the Rangers might see if the Bruins are interested in Jaromir Jagr, whose salary would only cost them $4.5 million as the rest of it is split with the Washington Capitals. Brooks also feels Eric Lindros may be an option for the Bruins.

Spector's Note: Anything's possible and the Bruins have been known to swing a surprise deal now and again. Still, I don't see the B's having that much interest in the moody Jagr. The Bruins, by the way, are trying to lock up Thornton long-term, but the problem is what they're offering isn't being seriously considered by "Jumbo Joe".

**I'm all for it, if this has any truth to it.**

Old
07-31-2005, 08:51 AM
Original6

This is dilusional.

Old
07-31-2005, 08:51 AM
dumpsathernow*

. He has gone from bad to a total embarrassment. Roenick had it exactly right on that guy.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 07-31-2005 at 10:23 AM.
Old
07-31-2005, 10:16 AM
Garden_Variety

If Boston traded Joe Thorton for Jagr I would crap my pants. I don't think I'll be crapping in my pants any time soon.

Old
07-31-2005, 11:13 AM
ChrisKreider20
But y u mad?

Its so true. Jagr's a good veteran but he also has an attitude. Thornton is one of the hardest one-of-a-kind centres to find in hockey. Won't happen and if it did then Sather must have gotten the boston GM drunk and then made him do the deal.

Old
07-31-2005, 12:14 PM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishman3579
NEW YORK POST: Larry Brooks reports the Boston Bruins might end up shopping forward Joe Thornton to a team willing to sign him up long-term before he become a UFA next summer. Brooks expects the Rangers might see if the Bruins are interested in Jaromir Jagr, whose salary would only cost them $4.5 million as the rest of it is split with the Washington Capitals. Brooks also feels Eric Lindros may be an option for the Bruins.

Spector's Note: Anything's possible and the Bruins have been known to swing a surprise deal now and again. Still, I don't see the B's having that much interest in the moody Jagr. The Bruins, by the way, are trying to lock up Thornton long-term, but the problem is what they're offering isn't being seriously considered by "Jumbo Joe".

Read it again. I, really read it. It says Sather SHOULD inquire as to whether Jagr would be enough for Thornton. He SHOULD inquire. SHOULD SHOULD SHOULD. Not did, not will, not the 3rd thing on his morning list behind go pee and brush teeth. The Islanders should inquire if Yashin is enough for Thornton too. It's an idle musing, not a rumor. I swear, kicking Brooks around is fine, but at least do it when he deserves it.

Old
07-31-2005, 12:57 PM
HF_Rangers

Larry Brooks has now officially lost his mind, becoming the Stan Fischler of newspaper writers.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:01 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF_Rangers
Larry Brooks has now officially lost his mind, becoming the Stan Fischler of newspaper writers.
No, Brooks mentions things that should happen or may happen.

Brooks is right. If Joe is really available, why not offer Jagr? Financially the Bruins get an elite player at a great price.

Stan talks about things that will happen. Fischler said that the Blues were going to trade Prongers to the Ducks and draft Johnson. He couldn't be more wrong on that pick.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:05 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Sather
Read it again. I, really read it. It says Sather SHOULD inquire as to whether Jagr would be enough for Thornton. He SHOULD inquire. SHOULD SHOULD SHOULD. Not did, not will, not the 3rd thing on his morning list behind go pee and brush teeth. The Islanders should inquire if Yashin is enough for Thornton too. It's an idle musing, not a rumor. I swear, kicking Brooks around is fine, but at least do it when he deserves it.
LMAO.

Good post.

Old
08-01-2005, 09:54 AM
phishman3579

Send a message via ICQ to phishman3579 Send a message via AIM to phishman3579 Send a message via Yahoo to phishman3579
Quote:

Could Larry be onto something?

BRUINS WORKING ON "HUGE" TRADE.

BOSTON HERALD: Stephen Harris reports Bruins GM Mike O'Connell is still working on what he claimed to be a "huge" trade, which he said will either happen or be dead by today.

Spector's Note: Hmmm, "huge" trade, eh? Wonder who that could involve? His initials wouldn't be "J.T." would they? We should probably find out by end of business today if anything comes of this.

Old
08-01-2005, 10:04 AM
bp13

Quote:
Could Larry be onto something?

BRUINS WORKING ON "HUGE" TRADE.

BOSTON HERALD: Stephen Harris reports Bruins GM Mike O'Connell is still working on what he claimed to be a "huge" trade, which he said will either happen or be dead by today.

Spector's Note: Hmmm, "huge" trade, eh? Wonder who that could involve? His initials wouldn't be "J.T." would they? We should probably find out by end of business today if anything comes of this.
I'm a B's fan, so admittedly I'm biased, but could any real hockey fan actually believe the Bruins would deal Joe Thornton for Jaromir Jagr?? Even considering Joe's contract, Jagr is universally despised in Boston, and he's hardly the type of player the Bruins have generally acquired. Further, he's not even close to the player Joe Thornton is right now.

It's fine that Brooks throws this out there, but it's an incredibly lopsided trade in favor of NY, and it also flies in the face of every acquisition the Bruins have made for the last 30 years. It simply isn't going to happen.

Old
08-01-2005, 10:58 AM
phishman3579

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13
I'm a B's fan, so admittedly I'm biased, but could any real hockey fan actually believe the Bruins would deal Joe Thornton for Jaromir Jagr?? Even considering Joe's contract, Jagr is universally despised in Boston, and he's hardly the type of player the Bruins have generally acquired. Further, he's not even close to the player Joe Thornton is right now.

It's fine that Brooks throws this out there, but it's an incredibly lopsided trade in favor of NY, and it also flies in the face of every acquisition the Bruins have made for the last 30 years. It simply isn't going to happen.
I doubt it would be a 1 for 1; if it ever had a chance of happening. Maybe Jagr and Poti (Isn't he from the area) for Thornton plus something small.

Old
08-01-2005, 11:14 AM
broadwayblue

but Jagr would count only slightly more than half of what Thornton will against the cap. Jagr will count about 4mil against the cap...Thornton has got to be close to a max player, so call him 7 mil. is JT really 75% better than JJ? i don't think so.

Old
08-01-2005, 09:06 PM
Sicilian

doesn't sound like brooks was trying to predict or report anything, but was instead practicing what we all do here... wishful thinking

i mean really, is there any serious upside to this for the bruins besides money, which is only as temporary as jagr's current contract? once it's up, he's gonna want more, or at least the same while being a few years older.

Old
08-02-2005, 12:48 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
but Jagr would count only slightly more than half of what Thornton will against the cap. Jagr will count about 4mil against the cap...Thornton has got to be close to a max player, so call him 7 mil. is JT really 75% better than JJ? i don't think so.
JT arguablely isn't better than JJ at all right now, he's just younger with potential. Thornton will never be the prolific scorer Jagr was though.

Closed Thread