HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs sign Joe Stejskal - 2 year contract

Old
03-22-2011, 12:13 PM
Forsead

vCash: 500
A big defenseman who play physical, can skate and have a good shot ? that's looking good IMO. Some of theses guy are drafted later and blossom very well. It could take time to really devellop, but look at guys like Johnny Boychuk.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 12:20 PM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Won't pretend like I know who he is, since this is the first time I've heard of him.

With that said, a 6'3, 211 pound, shut-down defenseman? I like the sound of that already. Sort of reminds me of another d-man that the Habs had, before they gave up on him and sent him to the West.
Yes, you'll forget about him pretty quick when you see Bournival play. We've been talking about how the habs have a lot of character players, well he's another one of those. Feisty leader with offesive upside. Could be a great 3rd liner in a few years.

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Hopefully this guy is physical. We need those type of dman.

I would have thought we needed forwards in Hamilton, though.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 12:40 PM
googlymoogly

Dartmouth Big Green
Head Coach: Bob Gaudet
2009-2010 record: 10-19-3
Key Returnees: Scott Fleming, F, Sr.; Adam Estoclet, F, Sr.; Matt Reber, F, Sr.; Evan Stephens, D, Sr.; Joe Stejskal, D, Sr.
Key losses: Joe Gaudet, F
Dartmouth has had a couple of rough seasons, after years of close-but-no-cigar ECAC runs that were filled with talented players who have since played in the NHL. But the Big Green appear headed back towards those lofty heights, and though this isn't the most talented Dartmouth team Gaudet has had, it is deep and balanced and loaded with upperclassmen.
"We've got a veteran team (9 seniors and 9 juniors)," Gaudet said. "I like the mix of our team. Last year was tough for us — a really tough start. I thought we were an excellent team (in the second half). We found a niche for our team, a style of play, an identity. We have a good-sized team."
Joe Stejskal is a top-notch defender, who flirted with leaving for the pros, but returned. Meanwhile, senior Scott Fleming, who scored an under-the-radar 22 goals last season, is back to anchor the offense.
"Scott Fleming is a 20-goal scorer, Adam Estoclet is a great player, but they're not household names, but they're really good," Gaudet said. "I think defensively we're going to be a vastly improved team."
A perennial question mark, and bugaboo, is the goaltending, and it's no different this season, unfortunately for the Big Green. Senior Jody O'Neill got the first two starts, and his save percentage is well under .900.

This from the start of last season from the coach.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 12:55 PM
GoHomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
What happened to Torp? I remember him flying at everyone in the WJC, and getting rocked by Subban.
He missed almost a full season due to injury which derailed his development. He is a bit too much of a one trick pony, he hits and that's about it. That doesn't really work in the SEL were most team try to play a puck possension kind of game.

He might have been a better fit in the AHL but since the Habs released him I guess that wont happen.

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 12:56 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Steckel ?

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 01:16 PM
Habitants

good news! look forward to seeing his progress

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 01:32 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

So how big is this guy really? I've seen 6'2 186, 6'2 190, 6'3 205, and someone on here wrote 6'3 211. I find it hard to believe that he grew an inch from age 21 to 22, but i guess stranger things have happened. Does anyone have the most up to date report on this guy?

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 01:36 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Love this signing. I've only seen Stejskal a handful of times, but every time I've seen him, I love wait I saw. I've been high on this kid for a couple years now and am really glad to see he was signed. Good for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
So how big is this guy really? I've seen 6'2 186, 6'2 190, 6'3 205, and someone on here wrote 6'3 211. I find it hard to believe that he grew an inch from age 21 to 22, but i guess stranger things have happened. Does anyone have the most up to date report on this guy?
The official Dartmouth College website (his NCAA team) lists him at 6'3, 205.

I wouldn't mind Hamilton signing Dustin Walsh's brother, Nick Walsh either.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 01:36 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
His Ht and Wt stats were probably not updated from his draft year.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Love this signing. I've only seen Stejskal a handful of times, but every time I've seen him, I love wait I saw. I've been high on this kid for a couple years now and am really glad to see he was signed. Good for him.

The official Dartmouth College website (his NCAA team) lists him at 6'3, 205.

I wouldn't mind Hamilton signing Dustin Walsh's brother, Nick Walsh either.
Yeah i agree, good signing. I'm getting a good vibe from what i read. What impresses me most is that he seems to know how to professionally hit guys without taking a penalty. 37 penalty minutes for a stay-at-home D-man is pretty minimal, especially one who really likes being physical. The points part I don't really care that much about--we have enough offensive D-men in our system. I'm glad we signed a D prospect who's vaunted more for his D awareness than his offensive upside. We had a guy like that in McDonagh, and he's currently playing excellent D for the Rangers. Honestly I think it doesn't matter much if the guy is a first or 5th rounder--a lot is between the ears and how well he's coached from the time he's drafted till he plays in the NHL. From the sound of things, Stejskal has been progressing nicely, and hopefully Hamilton will make the playoffs so we can see more of him this year.

Old
03-22-2011, 02:32 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
This will please a lot of people.

He'll be in Hamilton on Friday, and with our luck, he'll be in Montreal by Monday

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Kboum

Quote:
patrickcaisse Patrick Caisse
#Habs Joe Stejskal est passé de 185 à 205 livres lors de ses quatre saisons à Dartmouth. Un défenseur à caractère défensif.

On twitter.

Kboum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 03:22 PM
Gally11

Probably what made Brett Festerling expendable so quickly, they knew they were bringing him to Hamilton

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Hugo Sham

anybody think goat will try and sign some NCAA ufa's now that we don't have a 2nd?

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 05:11 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Can't wait to see if he'll be able to have some kind of impact as soon as he plays. I remember he was playing tennis also, and had the choice of one or the other professionally. And the fact that he doesn't have alot of PIM for a defensive D isn't a concern for me, by all reports he's very physical, but in a clean way... (the way I phrased it is strange, but... well...)

Anyway, ALWAYS happy when one of our prospects gets signed

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 05:19 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
Can't wait to see if he'll be able to have some kind of impact as soon as he plays. I remember he was playing tennis also, and had the choice of one or the other professionally. And the fact that he doesn't have alot of PIM for a defensive D isn't a concern for me, by all reports he's very physical, but in a clean way... (the way I phrased it is strange, but... well...)

Anyway, ALWAYS happy when one of our prospects gets signed
I understand completely what you're saying. O'byrne for instance was an example of a guy who didn't know how to successfully hit or rub out an opponent without getting a penalty. You can be a big guy in this league and be kind of useless if you can't hit properly. I feel that this reason in particular was why we let go of O'byrne and Komisarek. Komisarek's injury was obviously a bigger issue, but it ended affecting his physicality, which made him simply not nearly as good.