HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How about Schneider to replace Brisebois?

Closed Thread

Old
08-02-2005, 01:21 AM
Guy Caballero

vCash: 500
How about Schneider to replace Brisebois?

What do you think? He can still produce, and while his defensive skills have deteriorated somewhat, they aren't as bad as Brisebois's were, and he runs the PP a lot better.

I think he could be had at 2-2.5 mil. Would you take him for this price for a season or two?

Old
08-02-2005, 01:28 AM
SuperUnknown

I don't think Schneider will come back to Montreal.

Old
08-02-2005, 01:29 AM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail
I don't think Schneider will come back to Montreal.
y?

Old
08-02-2005, 01:30 AM
Mike8

No, not what Montreal needs as far as I'm concerned. The team need a shut-down guy.

Old
08-02-2005, 01:32 AM
Guy Caballero

I think we need a legit PP QB more than a crusher. We have Souray, Komisarek, Rivet, and Bouillon to throw the body. We need someone with great vision who can pass.

Old
08-02-2005, 01:33 AM
Traitor8

how bout we are **********

Old
08-02-2005, 01:39 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
I think we need a legit PP QB more than a crusher. We have Souray, Komisarek, Rivet, and Bouillon to throw the body. We need someone with great vision who can pass.
What is Markov, then?

Komisarek's developing his transition game. I'm confident he'll be good in that regard.

Honestly, in that list you posted, only Souray is a physical presence at this point. And he's not a real bone-crusher. He's a crease-clearer, not much of a hitter due to mobility.

I'm not talking about a bone-crusher so much as a shut-down guy. Someone good down-low. Markov is actually good down low; Montreal's only defenseman that is skilled in man on man coverage down low.

Add another player to the mix that can do this and the team has a solid defense.

I don't see what the problem is with Markov, Souray on the blueline on the PP.

Old
08-02-2005, 01:49 AM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
What is Markov, then?

Komisarek's developing his transition game. I'm confident he'll be good in that regard.

Honestly, in that list you posted, only Souray is a physical presence at this point. And he's not a real bone-crusher. He's a crease-clearer, not much of a hitter due to mobility.

I'm not talking about a bone-crusher so much as a shut-down guy. Someone good down-low. Markov is actually good down low; Montreal's only defenseman that is skilled in man on man coverage down low.

Add another player to the mix that can do this and the team has a solid defense.

I don't see what the problem is with Markov, Souray on the blueline on the PP.
I like Markov's game around the crease as well; he's a really good poke-checker and puck-stealer. However, he just hasn't put up the kinds of numbers I expect from a number-one guy. He's basically been handed that role on the Habs by default, and he's still managed only 37 points in his best year ever. That's not good enough. I think he's plateaued. He's a decent no. 2 guy, but I don't think he'll ever be a number one.

Old
08-02-2005, 01:59 AM
Mike8

Often enough the PP quarterbacks aren't the #1. He's excellent as a puck distributor. Souray's got a big shot.

What's wrong with that?

I don't disagree that there can be improvement, but I don't see it as a necessity. The PP is not the be-all, end-all. Having a shut-down defenseman is, in my opinion.

The team has no shut-down defenseman right now. The right side is very weak. Markov can shut-down secondary units and even some superstars on occasion. He would be excellent in complementing a shut-down defenseman.

Souray definitely is not a shut-down defenseman.

After Markov, it's ugly. There's nothing that can be depended upon to do much in defensive zone coverage.

It's getting tough, too. Zubov and Foote were my two top choices. Both combine the excellence in defensive zone coverage (Foote being the second best in the league), while also being good skaters and having a solid outlet pass.

Old
08-02-2005, 02:01 AM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Zubov and Foote were my two top choices. Both combine the excellence in defensive zone coverage (Foote being the second best in the league), while also being good skaters and having a solid outlet pass.
Zubov was my top choice too, even ahead of Niedermayer, maybe.

Closed Thread