HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers receive Tom Sestito from Columbus for Michael Chaput and Greg Moore

Old
03-02-2011, 08:25 AM
phillyfanatic

vCash: 500
Maroon didn't pan out. We have a need for a power forward willing to stand in front of the net on the PP and score some "dirty goals" and provide screens and tips for our skilled forwards. Hopefully, they can groom him for that role. Chaput was not cracking this lineup in that role. This guy may actually make the team better within the next year. I hope he turns into a Knuble net presence. His frame is impressive if he can skate well and play both ends of the ice.

Hopefully, we have found a diamond in the rough. The one thing most agree with when ti comes to Homer is, he has a good eye for talent. Perhaps he sees something in this kid. Either way, no need to hate on this deal yet.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 08:56 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Maroon didn't pan out. We have a need for a power forward willing to stand in front of the net on the PP and score some "dirty goals" and provide screens and tips for our skilled forwards. Hopefully, they can groom him for that role. Chaput was not cracking this lineup in that role. This guy may actually make the team better within the next year. I hope he turns into a Knuble net presence. His frame is impressive if he can skate well and play both ends of the ice.

Hopefully, we have found a diamond in the rough. The one thing most agree with when ti comes to Homer is, he has a good eye for talent. Perhaps he sees something in this kid. Either way, no need to hate on this deal yet.
I don't think getting Sestito had anything to do with the Phantoms. They got him because they think he might be a Flyer some day.

Chaput is good prospect, so they must think Sestito is as good a prospect to play in the NHL as Chaput is, but a few years ahead on the development curve.

We've talked a lot about the need for more size on the wings, this is one step at getting it (guys like Testwuide, Holmstrom and McGinn are among the others).

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 08:58 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Chaput is good prospect, so they must think Sestito is as good a prospect to play in the NHL as Chaput is, but a few years ahead on the development curve.

We've talked a lot about the need for more size on the wings, this is one step at getting it (guys like Testwuide, Holmstrom and McGinn are among the others).
Sorry, misread you post, pf, but I don't have an edit button.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 10:31 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
I wonder that nobody came up with a Maroon comparison yet ...

Big guy, decent skating (at best), good hands, similar age, similar stats (Sestito: 46GP -11G -30P, Maroon: 37GP -13G - 24P) ... but Sestito can fight as well.

He is probably the player Holmgren hoped Klotz would develop in.
I actually said that he was a replacement for Maroon a few pages back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Maroon didn't pan out.
Maroon isn't even a bust so I don't know how you can say that.

I consider him a stronger prospect than Sestito to this day.

That said, I like the move to pick up Sestito, and it's not necessarily because the organization likes him better than Chaput. The Flyers probably feel that Sestito, being more NHL ready and the type of player that he is, brings more to the table now and in the future than a guy like Chaput, who definitely has his plus sides as well, but is a long way off and is at a position we don't necessarily need to stress for what will hopefully be the next decade.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 03:17 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
The Checking Line's Adam Pardes caught up with newly-acquired forward Tom Sestito on Monday to get his reaction to the trade news and how he sees himself fitting in with the Flyers organization.

I know you said that this was your first time being traded. Now that you’ve had some time to let it sink in, how do you feel about the move?

I’m definitely excited and I think Philly’s game definitely has a mold that fits. I’m just excited to get a new opportunity.

On a roster with guys like Dan Carcillo and Jody Shelley and Zac Rinaldo in the AHL, what do you think is going to make you stand out to the Flyers’ front office?

I don’t think I can do anything better than those guys, but I’m just gonna play the puck every game and crash the net hard, get some dirty goals and maybe get a few flashy goals. Just play my game and I think…it’s just rough to have a power forward. It attracts some guys and a team like Philadelphia -- I think it fits well.

You led the Falcons with 12 points in the team’s first 11 games and now you have almost 200 penalty minutes. At this point in your career, do you see yourself as more of a goal-scorer or an enforcer?

I don’t think I see myself as either, I’m more like a mix. I’m getting my goals and I’m getting the fights and stuff because of the way I play, which is just hard-nosed. I’m going to the net and that’s where most of my fights are coming from.
http://thecheckingline.com/blog/adam...rd-tom-sestito

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 03-21-2011 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Site rules specify limits to posting articles
PALE PWNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 09:05 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Sounds like a cool dude. I'd like to see him on the big club next year...especially if he really wants to fight Avery. Haha.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 11:12 AM
Razor the Goalie
Can I Get a Hot Tub

Carcillo's Replacement

Razor the Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 02:48 PM
whynot

a bag of pucks to replace carcillo

whynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 03:19 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Yeah he pretty much sounds like the direct replacement for Carcillo. Looks like Danny won't be back next year

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 08:04 PM
Gert B Frobe

Asham should still be here, Carcillo should be gone and Sestito can step in next season.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 08:09 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
That said, I like the move to pick up Sestito, and it's not necessarily because the organization likes him better than Chaput. The Flyers probably feel that Sestito, being more NHL ready and the type of player that he is, brings more to the table now and in the future than a guy like Chaput, who definitely has his plus sides as well, but is a long way off and is at a position we don't necessarily need to stress for what will hopefully be the next decade.
Once again, he couldn't even crack the line up in Columbus. If he can't crack the lineup in Columbus (and let's look at it for what it is - Columbus has an incredibly weak forward group outside of Nash, Voracek, Umberger, Brassard and Vermette) what makes anyone think Sestito will crack the lineup here.......

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 08:19 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
Asham should still be here, Carcillo should be gone and Sestito can step in next season.
Better yet, Asham should be here and Zherdev should be gone. I am excited to see what this kid can do if he makes it to the big club

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 08:22 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Once again, he couldn't even crack the line up in Columbus. If he can't crack the lineup in Columbus (and let's look at it for what it is - Columbus has an incredibly weak forward group outside of Nash, Voracek, Umberger, Brassard and Vermette) what makes anyone think Sestito will crack the lineup here.......
Another year under his belt, Philly's need for a cheap option and lack of prospects...

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 08:24 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
He is a young guy and has a chance to get better. Lets give him a chance in our organization.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Jumping

Or as Casey Stengal once said, he is a young guy with a chance to get older...

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 12:32 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
at least he isnt retarded like Rinaldo.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 12:48 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
at least he isnt retarded like Rinaldo.
On that note, Rinaldo got a game misconduct last night, due to trying to deliberately injure a guy.

http://theahl.com/stats/game-summary...ame_id=1008375

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:15 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
On that note, Rinaldo got a game misconduct last night, due to trying to deliberately injure a guy.

http://theahl.com/stats/game-summary...ame_id=1008375

lets see how long it takes for the "everyone is out to get him" line.

looks like Lauridsen also go tossed.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 02:19 AM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
Better yet, Asham should be here and Zherdev should be gone. I am excited to see what this kid can do if he makes it to the big club
Asham was a floater. Saw it in the playoffs. Not worth it.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote