HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Player of the Game & The Good, The Bad, The Redden: Game #74 vs. Florida Panthers

View Poll Results: Player of the Game: Game #74 vs. Florida Panthers
Artem Anisimov 11 7.97%
Brian Boyle 2 1.45%
Ryan Callahan 5 3.62%
Brandon Dubinsky 41 29.71%
Steve Eminger 4 2.90%
Marian Gaborik 1 0.72%
Dan Girardi 0 0%
Henrik Lundqvist 64 46.38%
Ryan McDonagh 4 2.90%
Michael Sauer 0 0%
Other 6 4.35%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-22-2011, 08:58 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
So the Rangers officially are in the top 5 in the league in goals against per game.
If they allow 19 or less in the last 8 games, they will set their modern record (I checked from 1990 on) for least goals against in a season. Lowest excluding the shortened 94-95 season was 07-08 with 199 GA, the last time Hank had 10 shutouts in a season.

03-22-2011, 08:59 PM
Fataldogg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
If they allow 19 or less in the last 8 games, they will set their modern record (I checked from 1990 on) for least goals against in a season. Lowest excluding the shortened 94-95 season was 07-08 with 199 GA, the last time Hank had 10 shutouts in a season.
They're still a bit away from it, but it would be nice to see the Rangers / Lundqvist get the William M. Jennings award. It's going to go to either Vancouver or Nashville though.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:00 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
I missed the postgame. Did he say anything particularly awesome or inspirational? I'm looking for something to put in my sig.
Not really, but it was great. I forget exactly what he said but he was like "We missed it by 1 point last year and I don't want to be there again, I'm always watching the score boards now." and other super competitive stuff.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:00 PM
darko

Quote:
I missed the postgame. Did he say anything particularly awesome or inspirational? I'm looking for something to put in my sig.

He checks standings every day.

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:01 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Nice win boys...on to Thursday.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:03 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

I was on the edge of my seat the whole game. Florida played the exact same style as the Rangers and I was actually impressed considering their injuries and the mini fire sale.

But the Rangers just played a smart game. I swore this game was going to end on some cheap pp goal by Florida, but they remained disciplined.

Also, a goalie cant play much better than Vokoun did. No second chance shots, excellent rebound control and he gave the Rangers nothing to shoot at. I thought he was challenging the shooters really well, and ultimately it cost him the only goal of the game.

My POTG was easily Dubinsky but it could have been the whole line. Gaborik was also very good, and Henrik was stellar when he was tested.

Three weeks ago the Rangers lose this game. Amazing turnaround.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:05 PM
trilobyte

POTG: Henrik. He was a rock. That save with his right pad (toe?) through the screen was especially good.

The Good: The PACK line. I liked Prospal and Sauer a lot too. Eminger was very solid. Oh yes, and Vokoun.

The Bad: another unsettling game against the Panthers. Never knew where this game was going, though the Rangers did hold the edge in play, I thought.

The Redden: nothing really, refs were good.

Last edited by trilobyte: 03-22-2011 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Steve Eminger with just the kind of game we want.
trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:14 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Not really, but it was great. I forget exactly what he said but he was like "We missed it by 1 point last year and I don't want to be there again, I'm always watching the score boards now." and other super competitive stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
He checks standings every day.
Yes, I love it. I feel like Lundqvist channels the emotions of so many die-hard fans in his post-game interviews. Completely beatdown and aggravated after losses and confident and proud after big wins.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:15 PM
vladmyir111

Man that was boring as **** I had to do a 30 second forward click every 15 seconds of that second period. This was one of those games where if Lundqvist doesn't make 100% of the normal/slightly above average saves it's completely over.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Levitate

Tough, tough game. Panthers tried their hardest to slow the game down to a crawl and get garbage goals, but the Rangers D held it down, Lundqvist made the saves he had to, and Callahan with a beauty pass...fantastic patience on that to not just turn and fire it at Vokoun.

Can't really say anyone had a bad game...Gilroy and McCabe were quiet but not bad, most everyone else had good games.

Other teams must hate playing against that Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan line, they just outwork EVERYONE down low. Great that they picked up the slack when Stepan's line has gone into a slump as well.

And it wasn't Lundqvist's hardest shutout but he still had to make some very good saves with no margin for error

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:21 PM
True Blue

For those that are saying that game was boring, winning is never boring. Just ask the Devils about all those years.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

The Rangers are 2 goals away from having the 2nd highest goals for total in the eastern conference.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:25 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Tough, tough game. Panthers tried their hardest to slow the game down to a crawl and get garbage goals, but the Rangers D held it down, Lundqvist made the saves he had to, and Callahan with a beauty pass...fantastic patience on that to not just turn and fire it at Vokoun.

Can't really say anyone had a bad game...Gilroy and McCabe were quiet but not bad, most everyone else had good games.

Other teams must hate playing against that Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan line, they just outwork EVERYONE down low. Great that they picked up the slack when Stepan's line has gone into a slump as well.

And it wasn't Lundqvist's hardest shutout but he still had to make some very good saves with no margin for error

So how was my aim on the panthers? Living in Florida might have helped

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:31 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
So how was my aim on the panthers? Living in Florida might have helped
Where you the one that said they were a good team?

They're not, they're terrible. The Rangers dominated most of the game with Vokoun keeping the Panthers from getting blown the **** out until the Panthers managed to slow the game to a crawl. The Rangers kept battling back and got a win the deserved and the Panthers got a loss they deserved. They were totally outplayed and outclassed by the Rangers. Without Vokoun they're a lottery team right now.

e: Ok, I am being a bit too much of an ass. I'm just tired of always hearing "the Panthers are good young team they'll be contending soon!" I've been hearing it for like 10 years now and they still suck. Even with the front office change I'm not convinced they're on the right track. Tallon has made some pretty weird moves and I'm not sure he can replicate what he did in Chicago (don't see Florida getting a Kane, Toews, Keith, and Seabrook).

And they looked just like what a bad team in the NHL looks like. No real solid gameplan in the offensive zone except try to throw it at the net and hope it deflects in, no real playmaking, sloppy on defense and relying on their goalie to bail them out, and most of all no real sustained pressure on the Rangers. Bad teams in the NHL try to do what teh Panthers did...slow down the game as much as possible (I'm hesitant to say trap but same concept) and try to get some fluke goals or hope the other team makes a really bad mistake they can capitalize on.

Last edited by Levitate: 03-22-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:34 PM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
another big win...difficult game voukon looked really on top of his game tonight, so good to get one by him and great for lundqvist to stand tall and get another shutout!

Fun story not sure if it was mentioned on MSG telecast, but on the florida telecast, they only had voukon for their practice this morning. So to get a second, Marty Reasoner called his brother who is a wall street broker, Adam Reasoner, who apparently keeps his goalie equipment in his office, he took part of the day off and came in and played goalie for a practice with florida! what an awesome experience for him that must have been!

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:44 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
The Rangers are 2 goals away from having the 2nd highest goals for total in the eastern conference.
With Philly's result, we are now tied for 2nd best in Goal Diff. in the East.. and on further look, tied for 3rd in the entire league

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:46 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Complete team effort. Im actually giving it to Eminger because he stepped up and filled some big minutes, for the second game in a row.

Zuccarello quietly had a nice defensive game.

Huge two points.

Watching that Ani-Dubi-Cally go again, like they did earlier in the year is a treat. Keep this up. Im expecting it now. Night in night out. Anisimov, has strung together about 10 great efforts. Defensively, offensively - skating, tough on the puck, everything. 22 years old. So hard to watch.

Very impressed with how they stuck with the gameplan and were patient. They are starting to win those types of games again. No penalties, no breakdowns. Solid game from everyone all around.

Thought Boyle showed up.

Gaborik is looking to shoot and im seeing little subtle moves with him i hadnt seen prior in the year. Im really hoping he stays like this, because it could be a huge thing in the playoffs.

No need for Avery on this team imo. He slows down the flow with the offsides the icings, the bad penalties - one of those bonehead moves could have costed the Rangers two points. Wolski is fine and i think hes building into a bit of a streak, so keep him out there. Hes due to pop one any game now.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:55 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

I'm telling you, I don't know why it is but Gaborik looks much, much quicker the past couple of weeks. That groin problem must have been hampering him a little bit because he really didn't have any of his trademark speed earlier in the season. He had at least two opportunities tonight where he would have scored on lesser goalies than Vokoun, which means most goalies in the league.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:03 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
I'm telling you, I don't know why it is but Gaborik looks much, much quicker the past couple of weeks. That groin problem must have been hampering him a little bit because he really didn't have any of his trademark speed earlier in the season. He had at least two opportunities tonight where he would have scored on lesser goalies than Vokoun, which means most goalies in the league.
He definitely looks more involved. It looks like he has that extra gear when skating that he's been able to crank it up too. This is coming at the perfect time too. Everything's coming together at the right time. Gaborik, the bounces, the goals, goaltending, defense. I love it.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:04 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Yeah, he made a great move in the second period I think, where he was skating with the Florida d-men and another Ranger forward, and he suddenly makes a sharp cut to between the circles and lets loose a nasty shot that had a good chance to beat a weaker goalie.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:13 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Yeah, he made a great move in the second period I think, where he was skating with the Florida d-men and another Ranger forward, and he suddenly makes a sharp cut to between the circles and lets loose a nasty shot that had a good chance to beat a weaker goalie.
He's looked better in terms of getting chances and finding space, but I still say his shot is still lacking some zip.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:15 PM
mrhockey193195

Just got back from the game, not too much to mention:

-Atmosphere was solid. Pretty quiet throughout most of the game, but it was still a fun game to be at.

-Great to see the Rangers win another game where they didn't play their best. Don't get me wrong, they outplayed Florida and played spectacular defense, but they didn't generate much offense. But they just stuck to their gameplan and shut down Florida completely. Perfectly played 1-0 win.

-Dubinsky was the best player on the ice, even before his goal. And that line did a very good job of cycling along the boards, as usual.

-Henrik made a few very good saves, but overall didn't need to be spectacular. The Rangers defense was the star of the game.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:17 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
He definitely looks more involved. It looks like he has that extra gear when skating that he's been able to crank it up too. This is coming at the perfect time too. Everything's coming together at the right time. Gaborik, the bounces, the goals, goaltending, defense. I love it.
Im hoping thats the case. Yeah, those little darting moves he makes. Havent seen that much this year. And you can tell when he enters the zone now, hes either got that patented, shark-like patience while he lets the rest of forwards take the D-man to the net - so he can enter that seam and get a wrister off - OR he just tries to beat the D one on one with a move to get an open space for a shot, which hes been getting on net lately...

Good things, hopefully he snaps back into that 40 goal Gaborik right around April 11th

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:18 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
My recap.

Gotta push the winstreak to six on Monday. No excuses. LGR.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:31 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Wait, what? The people who said this is a boring game.. care to explain what you expect out of a hockey game?

0-0 game almost all game, lots of scoring chances, and a potential tying goal with 12 seconds to go. There's been plenty of ****tier games this season to complain about.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote