HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Ryan McDonagh Mancrush Thread...

Old
03-22-2011, 11:57 AM
CH2

vCash: 500
Bump. What a great call-up. My man crush is growing by day.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 12:01 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
New favorite player. <3

He has a bucket load of potential. This kid is gonna be a stud in 2-3 years. He reminds me a LOT of Duncan Keith.

Last edited by JeffMangum: 03-22-2011 at 12:15 PM.
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 12:14 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Callahan, Sauer, and McDonagh are my favorite players on the team.

Honorable Mention: Dubi and Stepan

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Thank you, Bob.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 01:28 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
He's gonna be better than Marc Staal. I haven't been this excited about a player since we drafted...um...wow, never. McDonagh is incredible, the only prospect this pathetic system has coughed up that I'm really high on. I love how some people compare him to Del Zotto as if that's even debatable. McDonagh craps all over Del Zotto, who's overrated offensively by the way.
I mean really? The only one? REALLY?

Says more about your scouting abilities being pathetic...not the scouting and farm system.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 01:33 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
Thank you, Bob.
WHat do you mean?! The Habs totally won the Gomez trade!!!!!11

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
WHat do you mean?! The Habs totally won the Gomez trade!!!!!11
Oh fo 'sho. Gomez and his 35 points will lead them to glory!1!!11!

lawl

Last edited by Loffen: 03-22-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 08:47 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
Oh fo 'sho. Gomez and his 35 points will lead them to glory!1!!11!

lawl

But they made ECF last season. That alone means they won the trade.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:16 PM
ecemleafs

McD probably has a higher +/- since getting called up than Gomer has points.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:20 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
McD probably has a higher +/- since getting called up than Gomer has points.

He does. 14 points compared to +17.

Old
03-22-2011, 09:48 PM
Tikkanese

The thing that I love to see from both McDonagh and Sauer, actuaally, is their confidence to play a tough, physical game against NHL competition as rookies. They don't look tentative, regardless of who they are going against. It's one of the things I liked about Girardi when he came up. They know how to play the game, they know what they are doing, and they don't second guess themselves or take that extra time to think too much about their actions, they just do them.

It certainly is a result of confidence, but I think it is also the style of their play and probably the type of people they are. With Gilroy and MDZ, for example, the inclination to try to "make something happen" all the time seems to overwhelm their decision making, and they just don't look calm and comfortable out there.

Look at Chris Pronger, one of the most absolute beasts of a D-man. Whenever he is on the ice, everything seems to slow down and he is totally in control. That's what happens after 15 years in the league, sure, but he's been that way most of his career. McDonagh has some of the same stuff.

Count me in the fan club.

Tikkanese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:04 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
But they made ECF last season. That alone means they won the trade.
Absolutely!

Forget about the remaining years of Gomez' $7.3m cap hit.

Forget about the seven years that the Rangers will have McDonagh's rights or any of his potential.

They got to lose in the 2010 ECF! I bet it really did feel a lot like 93!

I believe it was meant to be,
But then we got sent home in Round 3.
Our flailing hands are held up high,
As the cops spray pepper spray in our eyes!

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:50 PM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
New favorite player. <3

He has a bucket load of potential. This kid is gonna be a stud in 2-3 years. He reminds me a LOT of Duncan Keith.
I don't see it one bit... i would love that though!

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:53 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Just a matter of time before McD gets himself on the PP. I can't wait.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:56 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

McDonagh is really something. Him and Sauer i just keep shaking my head with these guys every night.

Learning and building. The footwork and recovery speed McDonagh has is scary good. I dont even think people realize it when hes out there. I see him (seemingly) "beat" by a forward only to take 2 strides and be in perfect position.

I want to guard against sounding like a homer but holy crap is this kid going to be something. He has flashes of Brian Leetch in the defensive zone. And im not trying to be silly with that comment. Forget Leetch's offensive ability. Im not talking about that. He was very underrated on defense. McDonagh takes intelligent routes to the puck and seems to get himself out of trouble very well. If he overcompensates he has the ability to wind it back up and snap back into position. Hes got the crazy legs like Leetch had. Hard to explain but when you have that type of skating ability its an uncanny trait. He has quietly built up a propensity to lay some pretty damaging hits as well, as Leetch could. Its only when the time is right. Listen, im not saying this guy is the next Leetch - please dont think that. I just see certain characteristics that are similar when focusing on the defensive side of the puck. Very calculating, decisive moves using great skating ability. I am gushing, but its warranted imo. Because this kid has room to grow and develop.

Gotta give credit were credit is due though. Glen Sather- hell of a job.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:56 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
I don't see it one bit... i would love that though!
Excellent skater.

Great decision maker.

Good instincts.

He has all the tools to be a #1 defenseman. His offensive game has been coming along nicely. In the right situation, I could see him putting up 40-50 points. I would LOVE to see him get some powerplay time with McB to show what he could do.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 11:01 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
McDonagh is really something. Him and Sauer i just keep shaking my head with these guys every night.

Learning and building. The footwork and recovery speed McDonagh has is scary good. I dont even think people realize it when hes out there. I see him (seemingly) "beat" by a forward only to take 2 strides and be in perfect position.

I want to guard against sounding like a homer but holy crap is this kid going to be something. He has flashes of Brian Leetch in the defensive zone. And im not trying to be silly with that comment. Forget Leetch's offensive ability. Im not talking about that. He was very underrated on defense. McDonagh takes intelligent routes to the puck and seems to get himself out of trouble very well. If he overcompensates he has the ability to wind it back up and snap back into position. Hes got the crazy legs like Leetch had. Hard to explain but when you have that type of skating ability its an uncanny ability. I am gushing, but its warranted imo. Because this kid has room to grow and develop.

There was one play against Pittsburgh where McD was at the right point and the puck got poked by him and no one else was back. For half a second it looked like it was a sure 2v0 breakaway. McD just turned, accelerated and calmly picked up the puck and skated it behind our net. For so many other D-men that situation would have meant disaster.

I said it in the Gilroy thread. McD is playing better than a lot of people realize.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 11:10 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
There was one play against Pittsburgh where McD was at the right point and the puck got poked by him and no one else was back. For half a second it looked like it was a sure 2v0 breakaway. McD just turned, accelerated and calmly picked up the puck and skated it behind our net. For so many other D-men that situation would have meant disaster.

I said it in the Gilroy thread. McD is playing better than a lot of people realize.

Thats what im talking about. There was a couple times tonight when he was beat to the outside coming into the zone and it was like he was beamed up a second later into perfect position. His footwork is insanely good.

Hes not afraid to mix it up around the net and on the boards as well. Real diamond they got here. I absolutely love watching this kid play.

So many bright spots for the Rangers this year. Whatever happens in the playoffs - this has been a great year to watch our team play and develop. If they can all mature at the rate the Dubi's and Callys have... we could have some special moments ahead. I really believe that. Especially when you hear how tight this team is off the ice.

Old
03-22-2011, 11:15 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:

I want to guard against sounding like a homer but holy crap is this kid going to be something. He has flashes of Brian Leetch in the defensive zone. And im not trying to be silly with that comment. Forget Leetch's offensive ability. Im not talking about that. He was very underrated on defense. McDonagh takes intelligent routes to the puck and seems to get himself out of trouble very well. If he overcompensates he has the ability to wind it back up and snap back into position. Hes got the crazy legs like Leetch had. Hard to explain but when you have that type of skating ability its an uncanny trait. He has quietly built up a propensity to lay some pretty damaging hits as well, as Leetch could. Its only when the time is right. Listen, im not saying this guy is the next Leetch - please dont think that. I just see certain characteristics that are similar when focusing on the defensive side of the puck. Very calculating, decisive moves using great skating ability. I am gushing, but its warranted imo. Because this kid has room to grow and develop.

It's funny you say that, because I am beginning to see shades of Beuk in Sauer's crease clearing. He's more capable offensively and not as flat out scary, but when it comes to protecting the painted area, he's got the same talent.

Honestly, someone should take a still from the Pittsburgh game where he's standing over the two players on the ice in the crease with a handful of each's jersey and sell it as a poster.

Edit: the caption of said poster should be "None shall pass."

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 03-22-2011 at 11:34 PM.
BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 11:19 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Thats what im talking about. There was a couple times tonight when he was beat to the outside coming into the zone and it was like he was beamed up a second later into perfect position. His footwork is insanely good.

Hes not afraid to mix it up around the net and on the boards as well. Real diamond they got here. I absolutely love watching this kid play.

So many bright spots for the Rangers this year. Whatever happens in the playoffs - this has been a great year to watch our team play and develop. If they can all mature at the rate the Dubi's and Callys have... we could have some special moments ahead. I really believe that. Especially when you hear how tight this team is off the ice.
Great point. I'm thrilled with how the team has developed the kids this year. The progress of McD and Sauer alone has been a real step forward. I said all along that if you weren't going to sign Kovalchuk, then 2010-2011 should be all about playing the kids and letting the chips fall where they may. To the Rangers' credit (for the most part - Boogie is still a black mark), they did. I'm loving the future of our defense.

Would also love to see VTank get a shot before he bolts to Russia. Can you imagine how effectively physical and nasty our D would be?

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 03-22-2011 at 11:27 PM.
BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 11:20 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Honestly, someone should take a still from the Pittsburgh game where he's standing over the two players on the ice in the crease with a handful of each's jersey and sell it as a poster.

There was a play where he dumped Pitt player on his ass in front of the net. I believe that was Kunitz, not sure though. That made my day.

Old
03-22-2011, 11:24 PM
darko

Quote:

If Rangers failed to win another game this season and as a result missed playoffs I'd still consider this season a success. Sure to lose out on a playoff spot from where we are now would be a choke but when you consider how well guys like Sauer, McDonagh, Boyle, MZA and Stepan have played plus the emergence of Dubinsky and Callahan and Anisimov growing in stature with every game he plays. I dont see how anyone can see this season as a failure.

Old
03-22-2011, 11:30 PM
mrhockey193195

I thought McD struggled a bit the past few games, but today he was right back on track. And it speaks volumes, Torts had McD and Sauer out there with under a minute left in the 1-0 game. Unreal what these two guys have done as rookies, just flat out insane.

mrhockey193195 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 11:31 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
There was a play where he dumped Pitt player on his ass in front of the net. I believe that was Kunitz, not sure though. That made my day.
This was it: priceless!

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 11:33 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
If Rangers failed to win another game this season and as a result missed playoffs I'd still consider this season a success. Sure to lose out on a playoff spot from where we are now would be a choke but when you consider how well guys like Sauer, McDonagh, Boyle, MZA and Stepan have played plus the emergence of Dubinsky and Callahan and Anisimov growing in stature with every game he plays. I dont see how anyone can see this season as a failure.
And to top it all off we have this kid named Kreider on the way...

Agreed. But they wont miss it imo. They go 4-4 and end up with 92 points. Carolina will have to go 7-2 to tie. Still not impossible, but its getting there.