HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Roberts, Nieuwendyk sign in Florida

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2005, 09:18 PM
Sammy*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor of MacAppolis
Corson and Roberts' problems went back to junior. They were actually good friends until one night when one picked a fight with a rookie and laid a pretty good beating on him. The other came at the one who beat up the rookie and laid a good beating on him. There was animosity from that night on.
Interesting. Who laid the beating on who? I would guess that Corson beat up the rookie (just given my impression of the kinda guy he is) but given how big Corson is I wouldnt think that Roberts could lay a beating on him. That been said , Roberts was always a workout machine & I dont think that Corson was.

Old
08-01-2005, 09:43 PM
Clash*

I'm goin to keep this simple, cause as a Panther fan (formerly before Keenan's return) Joe and Gary are too pricey. Do I like what they bring off the ice, and on the ice (to a point)? Yes, but single year deals would have been better.

But as someone touched on earlier, Gary said T.O. had to offer Joe more to keep Roberts. Well I read somewhere (Yahoo I think) that the prerequisite for siging these two in Florida was that they were a package deal. Wow, there's that "package deal" again, much like Keenan and Martin when they got hired. Something stinks down in Sunrise, and its not the Davie dump. It emanates from Alan Cohen's office, as he once again he doesn't have a clue how to run a team, by overpaying two 39 yr old players.

Old
08-01-2005, 11:32 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

I wonder if Florida is using Toronto's Revenue Sharing money to pay Roberts and Newy ????..

Old
08-02-2005, 01:34 AM
Wisent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
I hope this doesn't screw up the marketplace for a lot of the other teams. If those two are worth 2.25 mil a year, then most everyone on the Predators fans 'wish list' just jumped out of our price range if they use those two as comparables.
I don't think that the contracts can screw the marketplace up that much anymore. Players can demand all they wan't if the team doesn't have the space.

Old
08-02-2005, 01:38 AM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
I'm goin to keep this simple, cause as a Panther fan (formerly before Keenan's return) Joe and Gary are too pricey. Do I like what they bring off the ice, and on the ice (to a point)? Yes, but single year deals would have been better.

But as someone touched on earlier, Gary said T.O. had to offer Joe more to keep Roberts. Well I read somewhere (Yahoo I think) that the prerequisite for siging these two in Florida was that they were a package deal. Wow, there's that "package deal" again, much like Keenan and Martin when they got hired. Something stinks down in Sunrise, and its not the Davie dump. It emanates from Alan Cohen's office, as he once again he doesn't have a clue how to run a team, by overpaying two 39 yr old players.

Old
08-02-2005, 05:14 AM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
I wonder if Florida is using Toronto's Revenue Sharing money to pay Roberts and Newy ????..
Actually, the owner said he figures due to the revenue sharing money, that he has about an extra eight million to spend.

Old
08-02-2005, 06:04 AM
Mogo
#GameOver

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr

You know.. Keenan signed em two not Cohen..

Old
08-02-2005, 07:00 AM
CoolburnIsGone

$4.5 million/yr would've been better spent on Adam Foote and Foote is 34 so he should be able to finish a 3 yr deal. And he'd address a more important need for a team that gave up more shots on goal in a yr in the history of the NHL last season.

Old
08-02-2005, 08:13 AM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo
You know.. Keenan signed em two not Cohen..
Who do you think signs the checks? Cohen has gone around the GMs back before and done deals on his own, or told the GM things weren't goin to happen. Its Cohen's money that was spent.

Old
08-02-2005, 08:17 AM
sveiglar

$2.25M per is more than what I thought they'd get (but not much more), but to echo Pecafan's post it clearly is a reduction from their '03-'04 salaries of $3M and $3.75M. To those that say the new CBA isn't working, these are players who are making less and signing in places that hasn't been a destination for 'name' free-agents (even if these two are old, they are still name guys).

Overall, two good signings.

Closed Thread