HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#72: Capitals @ Flyers - Tuesday, Mar. 22, 2011 - 7:30 PM (ET)

Old
03-23-2011, 04:13 AM
mirimon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Who said that, Earl Weaver?

The score often cited is a 2-0 lead (or a 2-goal lead).
Here in Sweden it's a 3 goal lead. It stems from a conversation between a play by play guy and a "hockey expert" (and former coach of the national team), that's what we call the colour commentary over hear, a bit ridicilous, but that's beside the point. It went something like this:

PbP: So, Team A must feel pretty confident about this, right? They are playing great and has a comfortable lead.
CC: I don't know about that. There's nothing worse in hockey than having a 3 goal lead going into the last period.
PbP: What?
CC: There's nothing worse than having a 3 goal lead going into the last period.
PbP: Is that true?
CC: Yes.
PbP: I'd think it would be worse being behind by 3 goals.
CC: No.

And, of course, Team B went on to turn the game around and win.

Maybe he'd taken it from NA though and just took the first chance he could to use that little gem 2 goals or 3 goals be damned.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 05:23 AM
Mike2000z28

You think its demoralizing to us, the fans? I feel bad about the players as they actually came to play hard and that happens? Yeah i bet they feel all confident inside. Should have gotten a goalie. There has to be a goalie they could get for 3-5 million next year. We have zero shot at the cup with this goal tending,

Mike2000z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 05:41 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2000z28 View Post
You think its demoralizing to us, the fans? I feel bad about the players as they actually came to play hard and that happens? Yeah i bet they feel all confident inside. Should have gotten a goalie. There has to be a goalie they could get for 3-5 million next year. We have zero shot at the cup with this goal tending,
Hyperboles are fun, aren't they?

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 05:51 AM
Mike2000z28

Sure, the guys can dominate a game IF they show up, but our goaltending hasn't proven to be able to do that. We match up with Vancouver and a few other squads, but their goaltending is so far above ours its scary. Luongo or Boucher/bob?? Granted some of the elite goalies during the regular season don't play well come playoff time, but ours haven't been playing great at all.

Mike2000z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 06:06 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
our goaltending is still better than last year

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 06:26 AM
Daishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
The goaltending on Philly is pitiful. Atleast four of the goals were soft last night, and an elite goalie in the zone would've stopped all of them.

Daishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 07:42 AM
El Emperor

At least we don't have to worry about the shoot-out come playoff time. Boosh looked completely lost out there.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 07:57 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Our goalies are a crapshoot every night. They've both had awesome games and then a lot of terrible ones. They have rarely stolen any points for us, though.

The real problem to me is how the team loves to coast with a 3rd period lead and choke it away. They score 4 in a row and then fail to clear numerous times when they should have the momentum and leave a guy wide open for a shot (that should have been stopped, but irrelevant).

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 08:03 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daishi View Post
The goaltending on Philly is pitiful. Atleast four of the goals were soft last night, and an elite goalie in the zone would've stopped all of them.
No one is saying that it was good last night. If anything, last night was the exception, not the trend.

And what do you mean at least 4 of the goals were soft? The Caps only scored 4...

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 08:15 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

For those of you who want Leighton to play...I am not overly opposed to the idea if these guys can't seem to be consistent, but just remember: Leighton is the least-technically sound goalie that we have and most importantly...he wrote the book on soft goals. He will let them up just like the next guy.

This team was in beast mode in the third and our goaltending let us down, plain and simple. Five shots in the whole period...not a tall order. Can we win the whole thing? Yes. Are the odds in our favor? Not at all, not with this tandem.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:01 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

THE SKY IS FALLING

Bob had the worst game of his short career. Not the norm. Even if he had his SECOND worst game ever, we would've won.

The tying goal was tough, but I wouldn't file this game into "they can't protect leads category"

It was a weird game.

Can't believe knubs didn't get a star.

And for the 1st half of the game, Giroux looked worse then I've ever seen him.

Start Bob tomorrow

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:01 AM
HoverCarle*

Leighton gets by on pretty much just size and glove

Old
03-23-2011, 09:04 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
THE SKY IS FALLING

Bob had the worst game of his short career. Not the norm. Even if he had his SECOND worst game ever, we would've won.

The tying goal was tough, but I wouldn't file this game into "they can't protect leads category"

It was a weird game.

Can't believe knubs didn't get a star.

And for the 1st half of the game, Giroux looked worse then I've ever seen him.

Start Bob tomorrow
The commentators kept calling him "Alexander" Giroux.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:07 AM
DenverBoone

Quote:
No, it's really not. Our goalies haven't stolen one game this year, but have pissed away a good amount of games.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:10 AM
gintonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Tough loss, but I go back to what I said earlier. When this team is interested, tonight just proved that there is no team in the East that has a prayer. They played for 40 minutes, and would have destroyed the best non-Flyers team in the East anyway if not for OHL quality goaltending that happens once in 100 games or so.
That's a bit ambitious wouldn't you say? The Caps were without Ovechkin, Green, and Arnott, that's a lot of talent and leadership out of the lineup.

gintonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:12 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
They have rarely stolen any points for us, though.
But the worst thing is that they have cost us far more points than they have stolen.

dats81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:12 AM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
No, it's really not. Our goalies haven't stolen one game this year, but have pissed away a good amount of games.
There have been lots of games where Bob or Boucher play great when we are playing like ****. How many 3rd period flurries of like 12+ shots have they faced when the team has assumed a win already?

Do you guys forget how great they were playing for the first few months of the year? Bob was averaging like .925% for a couple of months

Old
03-23-2011, 09:15 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Tough loss, but I go back to what I said earlier. When this team is interested, tonight just proved that there is no team in the East that has a prayer. They played for 40 minutes, and would have destroyed the best non-Flyers team in the East anyway if not for OHL quality goaltending that happens once in 100 games or so.
Couldn't agree more. Thought the Flyers looked really good apart from the goaltending. Coburn looked amazing last night.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:17 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
Our goalies haven't stolen one game this year
Saturday??!?!

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:19 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
There have been lots of games where Bob or Boucher play great when we are playing like ****. How many 3rd period flurries of like 12+ shots have they faced when the team has assumed a win already?

Do you guys forget how great they were playing for the first few months of the year? Bob was averaging like .925% for a couple of months
Rookies tend to flare out towards the end of a season so that's not surprising. That's also not good for a team that might rely on him to win a Cup though. The team was also playing better back then.

Our two goalies are an old(ish) career journeyman backup that half our fan-base didn't even want this off-season and the other goalie is a raw rookie from Russia. Our goalie duo is pretty bad. Not sure why people are just recognizing this now though.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:20 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

The goaltending is most certainly better than last year going into the playoffs. Bob is more talented than either Boosh or Leighton. This was a horrible game for him, maybe his worst this year.

I hope it was just one of those games and not the pressure getting to him. We'll find out over the next 10 games, but him playing well gives us the best chance at the cup.

You do not need elite goaltending with a stacked team to win a cup, but you can't have crappy goaltending either. As long as we can get a solid performance we should be coming out of the East.

We played as good or better than the Caps in the 1st, dominated the 2nd, and dominated the 3rd. They had no answer for us 5 on 5 and if OT wasn't 4 on 4 we would have won it then.

This team finally woke up and played they way they can and they showed just how suffocating they can be when they turn the switch on. We have been waiting for this for a long time now and that game was a huge step in the right direction.

Also Coburn again had a good game. I really think if he carries this over to the playoffs he may have officially turned the corner in his development, and become the player he was thought to be out of the draft. How many people say it? Big players, especially defensemen, take longer to develop.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 10:22 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Our goalies are a crapshoot every night. They've both had awesome games and then a lot of terrible ones. They have rarely stolen any points for us, though.

The real problem to me is how the team loves to coast with a 3rd period lead and choke it away. They score 4 in a row and then fail to clear numerous times when they should have the momentum and leave a guy wide open for a shot (that should have been stopped, but irrelevant).
Yea this is more the problem as of late rather than sucking all the time. Its been a pattern:

Play a great game, followed by a poor game

Goalies 2 comes in and plays a great game, followed by a poor game

And that just continues on and on

the solution may be to just give the reigns over to one goalie. Pick one and go with it. Id rather have boosh in there. He tends to not give up as many back breaking weak goals over the second half of the year.

Overall though I think our O is back finally. They looked great and its a great game to build off for them and the D.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Razor the Goalie
Can I Get a Hot Tub

With Bob it seems when he first started he just played hockey,now it seems Jimmy has been having him focus on situations and he gets out of rhythm.

Razor the Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:25 AM
bennysflyers16

Any word on tomorrows starter, I think they have to go back to Bob. Shows they still beleive in him and hope to god he bounces back with a good performance.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 12:03 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
The goaltending is most certainly better than last year going into the playoffs. Bob is more talented than either Boosh or Leighton. This was a horrible game for him, maybe his worst this year.

I hope it was just one of those games and not the pressure getting to him. We'll find out over the next 10 games, but him playing well gives us the best chance at the cup.

You do not need elite goaltending with a stacked team to win a cup, but you can't have crappy goaltending either. As long as we can get a solid performance we should be coming out of the East.

We played as good or better than the Caps in the 1st, dominated the 2nd, and dominated the 3rd. They had no answer for us 5 on 5 and if OT wasn't 4 on 4 we would have won it then.

This team finally woke up and played they way they can and they showed just how suffocating they can be when they turn the switch on. We have been waiting for this for a long time now and that game was a huge step in the right direction.

Also Coburn again had a good game. I really think if he carries this over to the playoffs he may have officially turned the corner in his development, and become the player he was thought to be out of the draft. How many people say it? Big players, especially defensemen, take longer to develop.
Generally, I agree. However, Bob's superiority over Boucher/Leighton are tempered by the fact that he's a rookie and is subject to wider fluctuations in his game. While normal, it doesn't make me sleep well at night thinking about the post-season.

I do hang my hat on how much the Flyers really did seem to will themselves back into the game. I don't understand what you mean when you say that OT being 4-on-4 worked against the Flyers; they were dominating most of the OT, and if they were playing playoff rules ie, sudden death until a winner I would have strongly favoured the Flyers to win.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote