HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Gerbe's 2 goals in 40 NHL gp

Old
12-13-2010, 03:49 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
...which is an odd arguement for anyone who watched the Bruins series and how Gerbe was the stick that stirred the Sabres drink in the two games he was in. They got beat because they sucked down the middle and were terrible on specialty teams. Toughness? Really??
Yea...toughness really had nothing to do with us losing. Boston's forecheck and defensive play is what killed us. Also, add in the fact that our special teams shat the bed, and you have a recipe for disaster.

I like Gerbe. I don't know if you can use him as a full time top 6 player, but oddly enough, even with his size, he could be a very good third liner.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 03:53 PM
barnell
butter knife hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
I don't think many people are. Many people have wanted to sit Ennis with little mention of Gerbe.
Yea, but if Ruff lisened to this board interms of his decisions on scratches most, if not all of the team would be in the press box on any given night.

barnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 03:53 PM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Although I would love to see some goals, it is still a small sample size.

Hell, people are ready to run players out of town very quickly around here (and everywhere else).

Gerbe has achieved offensively and I suspect that he will in the pros, but not the extent that he has at the lower levels. I think that more than a few games are needed in the top six to see if he can be top six material.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 03:56 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
...which is an odd arguement for anyone who watched the Bruins series and how Gerbe was the stick that stirred the Sabres drink in the two games he was in. They got beat because they sucked down the middle and were terrible on specialty teams. Toughness? Really??
Yes, no toughness. Yes, McCormick, Ennis, Grier and Gerbe were really our best players, which is the whole part of the arguement. How are we supposed to count on our "little" guys to be tough? This team desperatly needs a power forward, someone who will drill the opposing team into the boards and come out with the puck. When Boychuk chopped down Vanek, who came to his defense??? No one. Not later in that game, nor any of the following games. You're right, down the middle we stink....Connolly was/is a passive puke and Roy didn't do squat in that series but he has stepped up this year.

The thread is about what my opinion is of Gerbe. And in my opinion we can't keep 3 midgets on this team. And in my opinion, Gerbe is not ahead of Ennis either. With that said, we should package him to bring in what we do need.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 04:22 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
Yes, no toughness. Yes, McCormick, Ennis, Grier and Gerbe were really our best players, which is the whole part of the arguement. How are we supposed to count on our "little" guys to be tough? This team desperatly needs a power forward, someone who will drill the opposing team into the boards and come out with the puck. When Boychuk chopped down Vanek, who came to his defense??? No one. Not later in that game, nor any of the following games. You're right, down the middle we stink....Connolly was/is a passive puke and Roy didn't do squat in that series but he has stepped up this year.

The thread is about what my opinion is of Gerbe. And in my opinion we can't keep 3 midgets on this team. And in my opinion, Gerbe is not ahead of Ennis either. With that said, we should package him to bring in what we do need.
Gerbe is not an obstacle at this point to them having a bigger scoring forward who imposses himself. I don't think having an energetic player, a passionate player, is a bad thing on a team with so much lackluster performers.

I agree about the multi-midgets -- I made the original point about them having four and probably only being able to keep two. At this point though, them having three right now is not hurting them most nights. In fact, of the three, the two have hurt them defensively have been Roy with giveaways like in the Pens game (which thankfully have been far fewer this year) or Ennis with the one like in the Sharks game (which can be expected for a 21-year old 2nd year pro). Gerbe's not been in that boat -- his effort has been top notch. What isn't there yet -- and might not be there yet -- is the results. I'm all for giving him more time in his current role to see if he can start to finish things off more. *shrug*

Roy, Connolly, and Gaustad getting dominated by Krejci, Bergeron and Sobotka had way more to do with the outcome than if someone railed Boychuk after the chop. Hell, Boychuks' chop had plenty to do with the outcome because a healthy Vanek may have been the tipping point in any number of close games.

Last edited by Chainshot: 03-23-2011 at 08:41 AM. Reason: I can't spell obstacle. lol
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 04:48 PM
joshjull

Not that worried about his lack of production just yet. He usually doesn't hurt the team when he is on the ice, works hard, usually smart defensively and has created a few chances. This is coming from someone whose hardly been a huge fan of his in the past either. But he is starting to win me over.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
We'd all like to see him score more, but he's still a rook. I'm sure he's squeezing his stick a bit right now, not to mention deferring to his two (far) more accomplished linemates. As Chain has said, he can still be an effective player in the bottom-6.

Bad things don't seem to happen when he's on the ice, and that counts for something. Despite his lack of goals, he's a +6 player in 40 career regular season games (+8 in 42 games when you include his playoff numbers). While +/- isn't the be-all and end-all of NHL statistics, it's usually a pretty good indicator of one's ability at ES. He doesn't hurt you, and that has value.

I think he'll eventually start scoring goals. He's been close recently. Niemi made a nice save on him the other night. I firmly believe the guy can contribute 10-15 goals once he gets some confidence back and starts seeing goals flying into the net.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 06:33 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
What are you talking about? He's our smallest player, yet he's still our best hitter besides Kaleta and Weber. Gerbe lights people up more than Gaustad, Grier, and maybe even McCormick. And he's good defensively already, very rarely to you see him make a turnover or mistake due to selfishness or laziness. He IS an effective checking line player who STILL HAS a ton of untapped offensive potential. You don't get rid of those players when they only play 40 NHL games.

Sadly, some people around here think that if a rookie doesn't produce good numbers out of the gate, they're a bust.

Yeah, and I've never seen St. Louis throw hits or use his body like Gerbe can. And according to NHL.com, there's only a 3" gap. Gerbe is 5'5", St. Louis is 5'8".
I don't know if I can agree with that. Gerbe flies out there, and he can occasionally catch someone off guard, but I mean, come on. He's an alright hitter, but his size hinders him greatly.

I never said get rid of him. But I am saying that if he doesn't start producing when he's on a line with Roy and Vanek (Our two best offensive players) then he might just not be an NHL player. I love the way he's playing right now, and I think he will start producing.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 06:55 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

I've been a huge detractor of his, but he brings a lot more to the table other than scoring. As others have pointed out, this type of player develops slowly. Not only is he not hurting the team right now, I'd much rather have him in the lineup over anybody who currently isn't (barring possibly Stafford, but we know how THAT goes).

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 03:30 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

I want to give Gerbe 41 games

I want Gerbe to have a half season or 41 full games of Playing with different combinations to see if someone on the roster sparks him. After that I will consider the "Gerbe experiment" over. And I think that is a good representation of what he brings to an NHL club.
I would love to see Gaustad and Stafford moved sooner rather than later. I know what I get and it just isn't good enough to stay on this team. Connelly would be third in that group.
They hung on to Afinogenov two seasons too long. Where is he now? Yea, enough said. Where is tim Kennedy now if he was sooooo good? Yea, enough said.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 04:27 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Zamboni View Post
I want Gerbe to have a half season or 41 full games of Playing with different combinations to see if someone on the roster sparks him. After that I will consider the "Gerbe experiment" over. And I think that is a good representation of what he brings to an NHL club.
I would love to see Gaustad and Stafford moved sooner rather than later. I know what I get and it just isn't good enough to stay on this team. Connelly would be third in that group.
They hung on to Afinogenov two seasons too long. Where is he now? Yea, enough said. Where is tim Kennedy now if he was sooooo good? Yea, enough said.
22 goals for Gerbe tonight, then?

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 04:39 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

1. I think a 40 game sample size is too small, especially with the chronic Mr. Potatohead crap which is the Sabres roster. Practically speaking, given Sabre injuries, he'll probably play half the games this year. I can live with that.
2. The Sabres lack of success in the standings is not disproportionately due to the ice time he has received. (Conversely, it's fair to argue Nate isn't disproportionately contributing to their success.)
3. Sure, he could score more, but I really don't have any issues with his play.
4. St. Louis is not much bigger. I'd bet Nate's upper body is bigger / stronger than Marty's.
5. I find the (potential) St. Louis comparisons a bit off. As others noted, Marty's vision is world-class, and his open-ice positioning is Gretzky-like (or at least Hull-like). But, Marty is way more elusive - he slips through spaces others cannot. In that regard, I find Ennis more like St. Louis than Gerbe. Neither Sabre has close to the shot and release Marty does. Gerbe creates offense, IMO, by being more of a bulldog (lapdog?) down low; he's not nearly the finesse player the other two are.
6. The "no-more-than-two-oompa-loompas" argument, given the remainder of the BUF roster, is valid, IMO, at least in theory, if not in practice. So,
7. Referring back to point #1, I favor keeping Gerbe, but if the roster can be improved by moving him, I'd do it (with a preference for receiving a similar-aged player in return). Gerbe may realize his potential on another team. If so, that would make Regier 1 for nearly-infinity, in hindsight (Pyatt, CMac, Novotny, Kennedy, Thorborn, etc.,). I could live with that.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Weird Fish

Send a message via AIM to Weird Fish
I think Gerbe's lack of production is a reflection of his lack of skill than it is of his youth. Surprisingly though, his work ethic, feisty play, and smart defense make him look like he could turn out to be a pretty good third liner, provided he's flanked by a couple of big bodies.

However one of Gerbe's biggest issues going forward will be holding off Adam and Kassian. I could see both of them on the opening day roster next season, so Gerbe needs to solidify a spot for himself sooner rather than later.

Weird Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 08:31 AM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

This thread is interesting. Some wanted to run him out of town pretty quickly. It takes a while for some guys to click in the pros, sometimes a few seasons.

He remains streaky as far as scoring, but shows more heart than most, stirs the pot very well, and plays a pretty good physical game.

Mike Robataille thinks that his hard work rubs off on others. The Gerbe Gaustad Mancari line had some awesome cycling down low the last few games.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 08:40 AM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpig View Post
This thread is interesting. Some wanted to run him out of town pretty quickly. It takes a while for some guys to click in the pros, sometimes a few seasons.
A lot of folks on this forum have opinions about player ability that are limited to the scope of the last five games played, unfortunately.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:40 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Yea, the Gerbe experiment after 41 games played was 7g/10a .... Which I thought wasn't very good, not because 17 Pts. Wasn't good for a rookie, but because he wasn't bringing much else. It was a valid concern, and I didn't want to see THIS Gerbe on the team.
He has changed his game, his worth, his energy, and now that is paying dividends ... I am not 100% sold on Gerbe ... Yet. I am cautiously optimistic. He has turned into an asset. I will be sold on him when he continues to be this type of player into most of next year. After about 30-40 games into next season, I will be 100% sold on him as an effective (long term) player in the NHL. He currently has no "quit" in him, and THAT will keep him in the NHL. Anything less ... Well ...

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:56 AM
SwordsgoneWild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
A lot of folks on this forum have opinions about player ability that are limited to the scope of the last five games played, unfortunately.
Unfortunately we human beings as a whole have the attention and memory span of a 4 legged bug

SwordsgoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 12:22 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
I definitely was unimpressed with his offensive output. Looks a lot better now, I'd say

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 12:34 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Quote:
Or 40, to be fair :v.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote