HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Things Artem Anisimov

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-23-2011, 07:34 AM
  #326
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim8778 View Post
He does not have the faceoff ability or the overall skill to be a great third line center.
He's gotten much better at face-offs, and I hardly think skill is what's held Boyle back in his career.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 07:45 AM
  #327
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
Arty has really really stepped his game up since the trade deadline. He's playing the way he should be now!
And when he has a few poor games, you'll throw him under the bus again, because you still don't understand that player development is a process that includes highs, lows and everything in between. Stop judging players on a game to game basis. You'll be a lot happier for it.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 07:53 AM
  #328
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,433
vCash: 500
I love how a thread bashing Arty starts and he begins to tear it up. We need to be patient with these guys. The Pack line is awesome and should continue to get better. I'll always be an optimist more than a pessimist and support the team rather than bash them.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 08:39 AM
  #329
BobSantos
 
BobSantos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
How is that relevant? Have we not been missing a first line center since '97...
I don't know that bringing up 97 as a model for what we should be doing in the future is helping the case. 97 is the kind of year that we brought in "experienced" vets (because we had no more legit prospects to speak of in the system) and watched the beginning of the end of great mid-90's Ranger hockey. We had Gretzky, Mess, Robitaille and others. Did we win the Cup? Did we lay the groundwork for a future of success?

Quote:
There's a difference between "not a 3rd line center" and "can't play third line center". Anisimov would be just fine centering the 3rd line with Stepan and Richards ahead of him. It works for Jordan Staal, and it worked for Patrice Bergeron in 2009. That certainly didn't "block" anyone.
Of course it blocks J Staal. He would be a second or first line center on just about any other team. It's not good for his statistical/professional growth. But please acknowledge that he plays on the third line because he has Malkin and Crosby ahead of him on the depth chart. Please!

We've had a bunch of wishful thinkers on this very board propose dream scenarios where we trade for Staal and have him as our top center. Your argument needs context and perspective.

Quote:
They've had a hot 2 months. Woohoo. They'd be an excellent 2nd line in a few years. Considering we're in 7th with that combination of players taking up our "1st line", it'd be a failure to still be in 7th 3-4 years from now.
As others have said, a 50 point season for a sophomore is really quite good, actually. And Step's rookie season is just amazing.

And they WILL develop into better players still. There's no logic to saying we'll be in 7th years from now with the same players, because they develop, like anyone else. On the flip side, and I'm not repeating myself again so I hope you hear me, Richards will decline at his age. So? On one hand we have two birds in the hand with potential and who have proved they have the goods. On the other you have a really good established center whose best years are now and who will decline. That's not even discussing cap issues that will arise over the years if Richards is signed. What Glen chooses will show whether he wants this team to succeed long-term or not.

Quote:
One of the knocks on him is that "he doesn't score enough goals", which I think is completely useless knock, considering the fact that he is primarily a playmaking center. But he can still score goals. A 25-60-85 center on this team, next year, makes them divisional contenders.
I'm with you on this. I don't think that's a problem. But we are wagering that he will click with Gaborik on the 1st line. That's just hope at this point and may not pan out.

Quote:
And please, don't insult Richards by comparing him to Gomez, Drury, and Redden. Richards is far different from these players, and is in a completely different circumstance.
OK, I didn't - you're just making stuff up here. Richards is different in some ways. He's also similar in that at his age he will decline from here on out. Maybe he has one more big season in him but then the team that signs him will be saddled with another five years of decline. How steep that decline will be will be interesting to discover. After our experiences with the players you mention, I don't want to see another steep, irreversible decline. I've had enough.

Quote:
You can't JUST go with "homegrown talent". I know people love the phrase, but it doesn't work like that. You need some outside influence. Richards is that influence. He'll be what Selanne was to the Ducks in '07, what Hossa was to the 'Hawks in '10. When a glaring need in in free agency, and you have the ability to fill that need, you do it. You have to take risks.
We're not. We're backfilling where required and our most skilled player came to us via UFA. So? My point is we have two good young centers and I don't want to see them set behind a mercenary who will capf**k us for years.

Quote:
Not really, because that's just pure speculation on your part.
That's my whole point. His comment was baseless speculation so I responded in kind. It's usually recognized as sarcasm but maybe I should have used the "smiley".

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 08:48 AM
  #330
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,517
vCash: 500
I'm tired of hearing about Richards. I personally do not want him.

On a side note, do we know how much money should be coming off the cap number next season? That along with how much additional money Callahan, Dubinsky, Boyle, AA, and Sauer should be getting.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:08 AM
  #331
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer
 
Whoot Whoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
And when he has a few poor games, you'll throw him under the bus again, because you still don't understand that player development is a process that includes highs, lows and everything in between. Stop judging players on a game to game basis. You'll be a lot happier for it.
Dont be a child, AA never had played so well. A game by fame basis doesn't include the sum of 15 consecutive games. His game has turned around since the deadline so obviously that was a concern of his and hampering his play

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:13 AM
  #332
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
On a side note, do we know how much money should be coming off the cap number next season? That along with how much additional money Callahan, Dubinsky, Boyle, AA, and Sauer should be getting.
In terms of salary coming off? Not really sure. McCabe and Frolov will be off the books, Gilroy might not get re-signed, and I could see the Rangers buying out Drury to get some more space. Prospal and Fedotenko will also be off the books and the team will have to decide whether to bring them back, but the big one will really be what the team does with Drury...whether he retires (not likely) or is bought out (I think there's a decent chance of this happening if the Rangers need the space to sign Callahan and Dubinsky).

I think Boyle, Anisimov, and Sauer don't get huge contracts, as they're all in the range where Sather likes to lowball a bit and get them on a shorter contract.

The cap will also probably go up again.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 02:27 PM
  #333
nyr5186
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: New Orleans
Country: Madagascar
Posts: 2,702
vCash: 500
Or even:

Wolski-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Stepan-Boyle-Prust
Kreider/Hagelin-Avery-Zuccs

nyr5186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.