HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Hannan

Old
03-22-2011, 10:56 PM
sunnydaycrash

vCash: 500
Hannan

Haven`t seen this discussed much but what are the chances the Caps re-sign Hannan. I think he`s proven himself and personally I think it`s a must but the only way this appears to be even a possibility is if Schultz or Poti are moved which I don`t have a problem with at all if it means Hannan stays.
Thoughts?

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:57 PM
Foy

with the acquisition of Wideman, there just isn't space unless someone moves over the summer or they find a way to bury poti.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 11:03 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Avs fan here. Just wanted to know how well has he done so far?

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 11:04 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
with the acquisition of Wideman, there just isn't space unless someone moves over the summer or they find a way to bury poti.
Just can`t imagine Hannan walking while Schultz plays 20 min. next season.

I`d have to imagine GMGM tries to trade Sarge thus allowing for :

Hannan-Green
Alzner-Carlson
Poti-Wideman

Erskine-Orlov

Old
03-22-2011, 11:05 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
well enough that most Caps fans want him to stay...he`s been a rock.

Old
03-22-2011, 11:12 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Hannan's been awesome. He can't skate and he can't generate offense, but by god, if you generate a scoring chance on him, you've freaking earned it. He's always in the right spot.

He doesn't make mistakes and it's just incredible to see a dman shut down half the defensive zone by himself (Caps fans haven't had that privilege in about a decade).

His age worries me, but I want to bring him back. I mean, it's not like he can get much slower

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 11:20 PM
EroCaps

Hannan has been a stabilizing force for the Caps. Absolutely worth a 2 year deal, 3m per. Better than Schultz or Poti.

I hope his foot is OK.

EroCaps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 11:53 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Awesome! Definitely one of the most underrated players in the league.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 12:05 AM
sunnydaycrash

He's actually only 32.....that's at least 3 more solid years

Old
03-23-2011, 12:11 AM
txpd

mcphee has been asked about hannan. he said that he has ways of getting things done.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 12:15 AM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
mcphee has been asked about hannan. he said that he has ways of getting things done.
Let's hope so.....the man has been just what this team needed

Old
03-23-2011, 01:21 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

The short version is that every Caps fan hopes that the team can get a deal done. If it were for a couple of years, even with the age concerns, so much the better. Godsend.

Now is he part of the reason that the offense has dried up? Certainly. That was what the Avalanche flagged and he is the same player. The Caps simply needed a solid injection of that, and he has been a material asset in battening down the hatches in DC.

The Caps don't have a regulation loss this entire season when they score three goals in a game. It's just a very different kind of team and philosophy this year. Hannan is a big part of that shift.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 06:30 AM
Stewie G

The man gets away with more borderline interference/holding calls than anyone I've ever seen not named Hal Gill/Rob Scuderi in '08. He had an insane number of instances along the boards last night where he had one hand on his stick and one around the other guy's shoulder. You see it rubbing off on Alzner too. I love it.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 07:17 AM
txpd

colorado looked pretty solid at the time they traded hannan. not too long after their wheels came off

Old
03-23-2011, 07:42 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
The man gets away with more borderline interference/holding calls than anyone I've ever seen not named Hal Gill/Rob Scuderi in '08. He had an insane number of instances along the boards last night where he had one hand on his stick and one around the other guy's shoulder. You see it rubbing off on Alzner too. I love it.
This is one of my favorite things about him. For once (recently) we have a Dman that the refs respect.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 08:30 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Hannan has been a stabilizing force for the Caps. Absolutely worth a 2 year deal, 3m per.
I if I thought that would be enough to bring him back I would be completely on board but I don't think that is going to come close.

He is 32 and making $4.5 now. He's not going to have to take a 33% pay cut coming off a nice season with the Caps and he isn't only going to get 2 year offers. Someone is going to offer him a 3 year deal at at least that rate and I would be very surprised if he didn't see a 4 year offer at that rate. For 2 year deals someone will offer $4 mil per. My guess is that he ends up signing a 4 year deal for $12+ mil total and it won't be here simply because McPhee won't give him that term.

No doubt he has been a great addition and I hope Green, Alzner, Carlson, Schultz, and Erskine have learned as much from him as possible.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 08:41 AM
txpd

i think hannan and his agent will know that his value has dropped as the focus on defensemen in the nhl has moved toward more skating and puck moving. he probably knows that he has slowed down a little as well.

there is not a 4 year $4m per contract out there for him this time.

most veteran players know how difficult it is to get a good job in the league. there are few teams that have a chance to win the cup going forward, have really nice facilities and working environment, and a city thats nice to live in all in one.

there's a reason caps players want to stay as a rule. that desire in hannan will make a deal possible. same with laich and arnott and knuble.

Old
03-23-2011, 08:53 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Hannan is a rock on D. With Poti questionable at best, they can't let this guy go. Hoping we can extend him at around 3.5 at worst.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:01 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
there's a reason caps players want to stay as a rule. that desire in hannan will make a deal possible. same with laich and arnott and knuble.
IMO the Caps bringing back all 4 of those guys is a complete pipe dream...

Old
03-23-2011, 09:05 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Mr. "Claw to the Jaw", loved him from day #1 of the trade. Watching him play on TV really does him an injustice regarding his style and value as a d-man. You actually have to watch him in person and then truly get an appreciation of his play and then compare to the likes of a Jeff Schultz.

Jeff Schultz will be much easier to move in the off season than Poti, in large part due to his age, but salary and his size will attract other teams as well. Would be curious what we could get in return, i.e. draft choice(s)/prospect(s) for Schultz but by all means please resign Hannan, the guys also durable as hell (now I've gone and jinxed him).

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:10 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Shedding the likes of Schultz at 2.75 and Chimera at 1.85 come the off season is a start. The returns I would like to see the Caps get for those two would be in the form of picks and/or prospects but not players as getting rid of salary is part of the logic to sign the 4.

Old
03-23-2011, 09:11 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Realistically, they won't bring everyone back unless someone under contract is seriously hurt and ends up on LTIR. Who doesn't have a chair when the music stops? Impossible to answer right now. It will be a function of the GM's evaluation of these players' impact, their play in the playoffs, their salary demands, strength at the position, intangibles, etc.

Who isn't returning, though, is not a question with an answer right now. Good teams eventually say goodbye to players whose value is appreciating, though. It's a good problem. Bottom feeders have few such issues. They struggle to retain players who want to get the hell out of Dodge ASAP. The Caps get to choose from among players who want to be here, and decide who they must turn away at the gate.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:17 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Realistically, they won't bring everyone back unless someone under contract is seriously hurt and ends up on LTIR. Who doesn't have a chair when the music stops? Impossible to answer right now. It will be a function of the GM's evaluation of these players' impact, their play in the playoffs, their salary demands, strength at the position, intangibles, etc.

Who isn't returning, though, is not a question with an answer right now. Good teams eventually say goodbye to players whose value is appreciating, though. It's a good problem. Bottom feeders have few such issues. They struggle to retain players who want to get the hell out of Dodge ASAP. The Caps get to choose from among players who want to be here, and decide who they must turn away at the gate.
Well in order of priority signing, I'd rank them as follows:
1. Brooks Laich
2. Hannan
3. Arnott
4. Knuble, as good as Knuble has been of late, the fact is he still will be 39 come next July 4th.

Old
03-23-2011, 09:17 AM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
That depends greatly on their asking price and whether you're willing to move some players to make the fit. I've seen several people mention they'd have no problem moving Schultz, Poti and Chimera.

As I see it, with the way the team has played in general with the additions of wideman, arnott and Hannan, it's a no brainer to investigate trying to keep them in the fold along with Laich.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 10:05 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallschirmyager View Post
That depends greatly on their asking price and whether you're willing to move some players to make the fit. I've seen several people mention they'd have no problem moving Schultz, Poti and Chimera.

As I see it, with the way the team has played in general with the additions of wideman, arnott and Hannan, it's a no brainer to investigate trying to keep them in the fold along with Laich.
I didn't say it couldn't be done, I am saying it won't be done.

Hannan isn't coming back for the kind of contract being bandied about here. Poti can't be moved because he is damaged goods. Arnott will get a better offer from someone else. McPhee isn't dealing away Schultz 1 year into his deal because he gave him that term for a reason. Do I expect Laich and Knuble to take home team discounts to stay? Yeah but not as big as many around here apparently do. I do expect Chimera to be dealt away but when you add it all up they just can't keep all of the rest.

So yeah, pipe dream...