HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

$64.3M Upper Limit for '11-'12

Old
03-15-2011, 03:53 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Wade Redden interview

Quote:
But in the NHL salary cap era a new phenomenon has developed: former stars being buried in the minors so their enormous salaries won’t be counted toward the cap.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ssignment.html

It's not a "phenomenon". It's part of the CBA. The NHLPA wanted just the players on the NHL roster to count against the cap. Why would they change their stance in the new CBA? The players are getting their full salaries. Those players such as Redden do not lose 10% of their salaries to escrow.

Getting back to the interview,Redden thinks he can still play. Wants to keep playing. He said "play". Have to assume he means "play in the NHL".

$16.5M due over the next 3 years. $6.5M,$5M and $5M.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Xtranova

Haha!

Just looking at that first post with the 7 mill behind Drury's name make me laugh. It is the definition on a bad contract! Imagine the games he played for us this season he was a third and even a fourth liner. Ok, I feel bad for the man... Not on the economic side of it obviously, but age might have gotten the better of him. Got to say though.. We've had among the most expensive fourth lines this year... lol...Damn...

Xtranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 04:38 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtranova View Post
Haha!

Just looking at that first post with the 7 mill behind Drury's name make me laugh. It is the definition on a bad contract! Imagine the games he played for us this season he was a third and even a fourth liner. Ok, I feel bad for the man... Not on the economic side of it obviously, but age might have gotten the better of him. Got to say though.. We've had among the most expensive fourth lines this year... lol...Damn...
The world population is estimated to be 6,910,000,000. Off the top of my head, I can think of 6,909,999,999 people to feel bad for before Chris Drury.

The only person you should feel bad for less than Drury is Wade Redden, who will be collecting even more money to be even worse at his job than Drury.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 04:17 PM
allstar3970

Should we be concerned about Dubi/Cally being given offer sheets?

I'm a bit worried this is a possibility and could force us to pay more than planned to retain them, anyone else?

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 04:19 PM
Groot
I am Groot.

I highly doubt it, it's a possibility, but not likely.

Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 04:21 PM
TrollololBoyle

Nope. Offersheets are way overblown. GMs don't hand them out nearly as often as people believe or want to believe. There has only been 6 in the last 5 years, it's not like everyone is going around offersheeting players.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2011, 04:24 PM
TrollololBoyle

Nope. Offersheets are way overblown. GMs don't hand them out nearly as often as people believe or want to believe. There has only been 6 in the last 5 years, it's not like everyone is going around offersheeting players.

Old
03-21-2011, 07:40 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Dubinsky and Callahan will file for salary arbitration on July 5. So will Boyle and Sauer. AA is not arbitration eligible. All of the forwards have reached career highs in points. Sauer is playing like a 10 year vet. All of these players are going to be paid. Group II stopped meaning "cheap" 5 years ago.

Old
03-23-2011, 10:46 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Postseason
Salary cap goes up to 62,4 million
Chris Drury retires Yes true
Redden breaks his contract and is released to sign/play elsewhere
All of our swansong bloathead contracts are then officially gone...

Players in NYR system that are (re)Signed:
  • Ryan Callahan for 5 years at 4 million
  • Brandon Dubinsky for 4 years at 4 million
  • Brian Boyle 3 years at 1,8 million
  • Artem Anisimov for 2 years at 1,8 million
  • Mike Sauer 2 years at 1,4 million
  • Pavel Valetenko 2 years at 700
  • Chris Kreider ELC 1,750
  • Carl Hagelin ELC 700
  • Ethan Werek ELC
  • Shiminin ELC
  • Parlett ELC
  • Pashnin ELC

New UFAs
Brad Richards 5 years at 6,800,000 (8 + 8 + 7 + 7 + 4)
James Wisniewski 2 years at 4 M

Trades:
  • Christensen to Ottawa for Matt Carkner
  • Trade our 2011 1st + 2nd rounders, MDZ and 2012 pick + ev prospect for an upgrade in draft to land Gabriel Landeskog

Let go/not resigned:
  • Prospal ?
  • Feds ?
  • McCabe (ev signed on the cheap one year instead of Wisniewski)?
  • Frolov
  • Eminger
  • Gilroy
  • White

2011 NYR ROSTER

FORWARDS
Wojtek Wolski ($3.800m) / Brad Richards ($6.800m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($4.000m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.800m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.000m)
Chris Kreider ($1.750m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m)
Evgeny Grachev or ev Carl Hagelin ($0.816m) / Brian Boyle ($1.800m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
Sean Avery or ev Ruslan Fedotenko/Vinny Prospal ($1.937m) / Derek Boogaard ($1.625m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / James Wisniewski ($4.000m)
Pavel Valetenko ($0.700m) / Mike Sauer ($1.400m)
Matt Carkner ($0.700m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,404,166; BONUSES: $1,437,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): -$4,166

Eventually - trade/demote Sean Avery (a trade seems impossible though) and resign one of Fedotenko or Prospal (knee?) for around a 1,5 M caphit instead
Eventually - Demote The Boogeyman to Hartford (especially if we get Carkner in trade) - freeing up more cap-space

With this ev additional capspace - smaller deadline moves for rentals become possible....
However - I do not however know how much bonus money will deferred to 2011/2012 caphit from this season...
Maybe McCabe as an alternative signing on D for one year discounted a la Sather (NOT) instead of Wisniewski...???

Starting the year in Hartford:
FW - Newbury
FW - Weiss
FW - One of Williams/Mitchell is retained
FW - Landeskog (fights for a spot in camp)
FW - Hagelin (fights for a spot in camp)
FW - Werek
FW - Bourque
FW - Tessier
FW - DuPont
FW - Shiminin
FW - Soryal/Didiomete
FW - Big Bad Goon (Boogeyman?)
FW - Banger/new prospect

D - McIlraith
D - Pashnin
D - Parlett
D - Kundratek
D - One of Niemi/Baldwin
D - Klassen

They need an older guy on the D as well own in Hartford (to replace Dredden)...
Not sure what to do with Christian Thomas - maybe spend a year in the Q??? But if he impresses in camp...well...then it definitely opens up trade possibilities...

Thoughts?
And yes - I know - much of this will never fall into place...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 10:59 AM
NYROrtsFan

Sorry but there is no way that Drury's retiring... Zero chance. These guys are competitors. There is no way that he's going to take this year as his last. And it's not like he has a debilitating injury either. I know that would make things easy for us, but it's just not happening.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:11 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Sorry but there is no way that Drury's retiring... Zero chance. These guys are competitors. There is no way that he's going to take this year as his last. And it's not like he has a debilitating injury either. I know that would make things easy for us, but it's just not happening.
If what you say is true - which it may well be - Bye bye Mike Richards. Forget him, which may be a blessing...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:26 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Ranger Boy is right, Group II players have gotten more expensive. Not a good year for that. Seems like Callahan's price is going up every night. Since the team will want Dubinsky and Callahan to give up free agent years, it's going to get expensive. The sooner they are signed long term, the better.

And Drury won't be playing here next year. The team has moved on. He knows it. The Rangers have always been good at finding creative solutions to clear salary issues dating all the way back to Kaspar. Something will happen here.

Last edited by bobbop: 03-23-2011 at 11:34 AM.
bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 02:35 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Do you know what's wrong with Drury's knee because the Rangers haven't said anything? Drury has completely disappeared. He has not been around the team since having his knee drained and then had knee surgery.

He was supposed to miss 6 weeks and return with 8 games left in the season. Like right now. Where is Drury? Do you see him anywhere? Sather told the media three weeks ago that Drury would miss the rest of the season. A supposed minor scope turned into a season ending injury.

35 year old player coming off major knee surgery. How do players in their 30's deal with knee surgery?

Old
03-23-2011, 03:05 PM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Callahan is a star. Hate as a Devils fan playing against him. If I were you guys I'd sign him long term this summer. Don't mess around.

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 06:06 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Wisniewski for 4m? Barf.

03-24-2011, 02:39 PM
azrok22

Mixed bag of quotes from Redden. This one is encouraging at least.

Quote:
“I’ve kind of put my options on hold until after the season, but money isn’t an issue,” said Redden, who has played for Canada internationally seven times, winning two gold medals in the World Cups and one in the World Cup of Hockey. “My focus now is to play well here because that’s the only thing under my control. I do feel more comfortable, and every shift this time of year is important. You have to play hard all the time, especially with our playoff lives on the line. You want to go out and play hard and play well.”
http://howlings.net/2011/03/24/from-...uce-berlet-89/

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 04:24 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Redden probably still has his entry level money

Old
03-30-2011, 05:51 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

$63M upper limit?

Quote:
Leafs general manager Brian Burke may have as much as $25-million (all currency U.S.) to spend if the salary cap gets to $63-million or so and Tuesday night’s win over the Sabres provided the latest evidence where the spending priorities lie.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1962507/

Earlier reports in the fall had the upper limit increasing by $3M. Dave Shoalts is now reporting it could be more than $3M.

Old
04-04-2011, 01:06 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

A THN writer offered up the possibility of an opt out clause in a player contract in the next CBA. A player could give up his contract and become a free agent. That can be accomplished by breaching the contract right now.

Quote:
The Rangers were still spiralling down the “salary cap, schmalary cap” rabbit hole when they inked Redden in ’08 to a ridiculous six-year, $39-million contract. Fast forward three seasons and the blueliner is playing for the Connecticut Whale in the AHL when he’d be the ninth-highest paid defenseman in the NHL.

And while Redden has done his best to make peace with the situation, you get the feeling that if a magic wand could be waved, he’d think long and hard about passing on the $16.5 million he’s still owed to get back to the big time.

“I know I can still play (in the NHL),” he said.

Redden has made about $55 million playing hockey and at 33 his shelf life is short. But there’s no way he gets back to the NHL in the next three years with a $6.5-million cap hit. And make no mistake: Redden is only out of the league because of his contract.

“He would be a very serviceable, very effective No. 5 or 6 guy who’d give you 20 honest minutes every night,” said a prominent player agent not affiliated with Redden.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...NHL-NHLPA.html

Redden breaches his contract and the Rangers terminate it.

Old
04-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Wouldn't that result in any player who felt he could get more on the market than currently in his contract could just ditch it and go UFA?

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 05:57 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Pierre LeBrun discussed the impact of the Canadian dollar on the NHL's bottom line. He discussed it in relation to a new Winnipeg Jets franchise but you can look at it in relation to the salary cap. 25%-30% of the NHL revenue comes from the 6 Canadian teams. Higher CDN=higher upper limit.

Quote:
My take: Excellent points. It's a nervy time in the NHL on the ownership front with the St. Louis Blues and Dallas Stars also for sale, as well as half the New Jersey Devils. But to your point about Winnipeg, I think what makes that market suddenly more attractive is the robust Canadian dollar. At the close of markets Monday, one Canadian dollar bought you $1.0341 U.S. That's insane. Given that players are paid in U.S. dollars, Canadian NHL teams are loving this right now, and the six Canadian NHL teams were already the biggest revenue generators in the league before the dollar took off. Given that economic experts predict the Canadian dollar to remain strong for quite a while, Winnipeg makes more sense than ever.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...-bright-future

1.0375 cents yesterday

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/rates/exchange.html

Old
04-06-2011, 09:39 AM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Wouldn't that result in any player who felt he could get more on the market than currently in his contract could just ditch it and go UFA?
I think it would be like player options (and club options would be cool too) in the MLB.

For example... the Yankes:

Like CC Sabathia has a contract from 2009 to 2015 for the Yankees, but in his contract he must play 3 seasons before being allowed to go out and reach free agency if he chooses to.

Cano:

08:$3M, 09:$6M, 10:$9M, 11:$10M, 12:$14M club option ($2M buyout), 13:$15M club option ($2M buyout)

he has a guaranteed contract that began in 2008 and ends at the end of the 2011 season, but the Yankees have the option of adding an additional year to that contract for 2-3 more seasons. So this year he would technically be a FA, but the Yankees can decline that and keep him.

Old
04-06-2011, 10:48 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Looking at the Canadian dollar charts from last season,the CDN traded in the 91-98 cents range for most of last season. Flirted breaking $1 but it couldn't. The cap increased by $2.6M. Now its traded mostly above $1. The NHL said in the fall the cap would increase by $3M but did that include a CDN approaching $1.04? The Globe and Mail had a story a few years ago about how much a penny increase in the CDN increases the cap. They don't archive their links so it doesn't work anymore. Some more projections should be leaked out in a few weeks. Bettman underestimated last seasons increase. They said $57-$58M and it ended up being $59.4M. Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun reported $59M and he was closer than the NHLs number. As long as the PA exercises their 5% bump. Their escrow deductions have decreased during this season. The PA always wants a higher cap.

Old
04-07-2011, 10:35 AM
fredrikstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
If what you say is true - which it may well be - Bye bye Mike Richards. Forget him, which may be a blessing...
Is he an option instead of Brad Richards? If so,is he a UFA?

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:46 AM
fredrikstad

"“He would be a very serviceable, very effective No. 5 or 6 guy who’d give you 20 honest minutes every night,” said a prominent player agent not affiliated with Redden. "

Could we hope that he break his contract, and The Rangers who are in a need of a veteran D man,resign him to a much smaller cap hit?
Would something like that even be allowed?

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote