HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers trade Michal Rozsival to PHX for Wojtek Wolski

Old
03-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Jersey Girl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
I thought he brought plenty to the table at a one-year, $3 million cap hit. He certainly wasn't a floater and he was very strong along the boards. I know we love to hate on him for obvious reasons, but it was a no-risk move that didn't pan out.
I guess I would prefer my GM to have the ability to scout properly and have an idea that guys like Frolov are really not worth the money...even if the money is short term and doesn't kill us. Until he got hurt Frolov took a roster spot from a player who could have been an actual contributor.

I guess asking Sather to be a good talent evaluator is asking too much...

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Until he got hurt Frolov took a roster spot from a player who could have been an actual contributor
Like who?

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Like who?
Like who? Seriously, you can't think of ANYONE? Jeesh.

Old
03-23-2011, 11:18 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Like who? Seriously, you can't think of ANYONE? Jeesh.
You're the one making the claim it's up to you to provide examples

Old
03-23-2011, 11:23 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I don't believe that Wolski brings anything that isn't easily replaceable. However, to have him over Rozsival is a good thing. It frees up cap space and a defense spot for a younger player. The defense hasn't missed him.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
You're the one making the claim it's up to you to provide examples
Whatever. Not going to argue for the sake of arguing. When Frolov down the team was not forced to dress one less player, so it turns out there were alternatives.

Old
03-23-2011, 11:31 AM
Levitate

^^^ Yeah, like trading for Wolski

Regarding Wolski, I think the line he's on isn't a good fit at the moment, but most everyone else is playing well enough that the other lines shouldn't be broken up.

His line needs more of a mucker on it...I like all three of those guys but they've been struggling to keep the puck in and have possession in the offensive zone lately. Losing too many battles on the boards, etc. I think it's just part of having two rookies on that line and Wolski not being a real great guy on the boards himself. Given some more time and maturity, that could be a real good line, but they look worn down at the moment.

Old
03-23-2011, 11:51 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Disagree. People were skeptical, and were proven correct. Frolov brought nothing to the table.
Thats just untrue. The only thing Frolov didn't bring to the table was more scoring and PK work.

He worked hard, back checked, controlled the play, was great on the cycle. He just has a **** shot and couldn't bury his chances.

The style our team plays, I'd take him over Wolski or Zuccarello at even strength. Not on the PP, but we're talking about a perennial 20-30 goal guy here. The fact he had a bad half a season with us doesn't make him a **** player. I'd be willing to bet he had 20-20-40 with us by now if he was still playing.

03-23-2011, 11:57 AM
Gardner McKay
Niles, Pls.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Called this trade a mistake from the beginning...

WOuld be awfully nice to have Rozy playing back there rather than the likes of Gilroy or Eminger. Although I can actually take Eminger.
Eminger played 24 minutes against Pittsburgh (not sure if it was that game or the one before) but Eminger should be absolutely in. Hes played fantastic defensive hockey and has not been a detriment or even just an even, he has been a positive this team all year. To be able to sit out as many games as he has and come back in and play as well as he has especially with Staal out I couldnt ask for more and only hope that once Staal comes back and now that we have McCabe, Gilroy sits. I don't think its any coincidence that our turn around in play has come after the Gilroy Del Zotto abomination of a defense pairing was finally split up. Gilroy is not strong enough defensively and has not had enough offense to warrant him playing. Our PP has been at 27% since McCabe came here which makes him useless on the PP especially since Staal and Girardi also get good amounts of PP time.

We saved capspace by trading Rozy and for Wolski and also got younger. I realize experience is needed but we had a log jam at defense and who knows, if Rozy is still here maybe Mcdonagh doesn't get the opportunity to come up and play and maybe we don't make the trade for McCabe which the statistics back up the fact that he has helped our power play again, just to repeat, 27% since his arrival.

As long as Wolski can contribute from time to time and not be a liability I think it was a great trade. His shoot out skill has gained us at least 2-3 points which at this point in time and considering how tight the race is, is huge. Buffalo has one game at hand and that would leave us either tied or 1 point ahead with the opportunity for them to jump over us, leaving us to battle it out for Carolina for the 8th spot and play and play an extremely hot Capitals team if we made it.

Based on Frolovs' play Wolski has done the same same job as him I just think he needs line mates who are stronger on the puck to be successful. Stepan is a lightweight and Zucc is only 5'7. I may be a bit biased considering he hs been one of my top 3 favorite non Rangers since the lock out with it being 1. Ovechkin 2. Wolski 3. Gaborik (before signed here) but again, I certainly don't think he has hurt this team one bit.

Despite being 22 and haven't seen as many Ranger teams as some of you, I have never liked the make up of this team any more than now. I think they have the perfect balance of young guys, veterans, skill, hard workers, and you always need a guy like wolski to be a floater. I think they have a perfect make up right now and if Redden leaves for Europe which will give them ample summer cap Richards would be a huge addition and IMO be a key piece.

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Thats just untrue. The only thing Frolov didn't bring to the table was more scoring and PK work.

He worked hard, back checked, controlled the play, was great on the cycle. He just has a **** shot and couldn't bury his chances.

The style our team plays, I'd take him over Wolski or Zuccarello at even strength. Not on the PP, but we're talking about a perennial 20-30 goal guy here. The fact he had a bad half a season with us doesn't make him a **** player. I'd be willing to bet he had 20-20-40 with us by now if he was still playing.
Well I guess we'll just have to disagree on this one. And I didn't call him a **** player, I said he brought nothing to the table...and I stand by that.

Controlled the play? Was great on the cycle? If that were the case you would think he would have had more than 9 assists in 43 games even by mistake.

You can be willing to speculate all you want, but his record was 16 points in 43 games, playing on top lines and the power play. That's just Ugly.

Last edited by Jersey Girl: 03-23-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old
03-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Well I guess we'll just have to disagree on this one. And I didn't call him a **** player, I said he brought nothing to the table...and I stand by that.

Controlled the play? Was great on the cycle? If that were the case you would think he would have had more than 9 assists in 43 games even by mistake.

You can be willing to spedulate all you want, but his record was 16 points in 43 games, playing on top lines and the power play. That's just Ugly.
He was extremely strong on the boards and had a lot of oppurtunities, as did his linemates but failed at burying them.

He was also getting third line minutes for much of the season
Was he great no, but he certainly wasn't a liability on the ice.

And before you yell anymore, I'm just wondering who the other guys he was stealing roster spots from are. Grachev, Kolarik, Weise, Dupont? I would easily take frolov over those guys at this point in time. Maybe not next year, but this year certainly.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
He was extremely strong on the boards and had a lot of oppurtunities, as did his linemates but failed at burying them.

He was also getting third line minutes for much of the season
Was he great no, but he certainly wasn't a liability on the ice.

And before you yell anymore, I'm just wondering who the other guys he was stealing roster spots from are. Grachev, Kolarik, Weise, Dupont? I would easily take frolov over those guys at this point in time. Maybe not next year, but this year certainly.
Who's yelling? I'm stating a point of view you don't agree with. Sorry about that.

Are you seriously saying there are no players either within our outside the Ranger organization who could have taken the place of Frolov? That's just bizarre.

Old
03-23-2011, 12:17 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:

You can be willing to spedulate all you want, but his record was 16 points in 43 games, playing on top lines and the power play. That's just Ugly.
Yeah, the production was bad. And Frolov will likely not be brought back and will be viewed as a failure in blue.

But it reminds me of the Higgins situation. Higgins did a lot of good things for this team, and he was the piece that ultimately (somehow) got Calgary to take Kotalik. Tortorella said himself that even though he wasn't scoring, Higgins was a loss to the team.

I think Frolov right now would be a nice player to have on this club. fit him on Stepan's LW and it becomes a much steadier line, that Torts would actually feel comfortable shifting more often.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 12:22 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Yeah, the production was bad. And Frolov will likely not be brought back and will be viewed as a failure in blue.

But it reminds me of the Higgins situation. Higgins did a lot of good things for this team, and he was the piece that ultimately (somehow) got Calgary to take Kotalik. Tortorella said himself that even though he wasn't scoring, Higgins was a loss to the team.

I think Frolov right now would be a nice player to have on this club. fit him on Stepan's LW and it becomes a much steadier line, that Torts would actually feel comfortable shifting more often.
Higgins is a good example. Sure did seem like he was working hard, but never had anything to show for it. And I'm going to disagree, I would much rather have a guy like Zuccarello playing, whose production is not good either, but still has upside.

Old
03-23-2011, 12:34 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Who's yelling? I'm stating a point of view you don't agree with. Sorry about that.

Are you seriously saying there are no players either within our outside the Ranger organization who could have taken the place of Frolov? That's just bizarre.
What players within could have replaced frolov?

And for that matter, what players were available outside that could have replaced him?

Old
03-23-2011, 12:37 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
What players within could have replaced frolov?

And for that matter, what players were available outside that could have replaced him?
LOL this line of questioning is silly. If you think there is absolutely nobody available anywhere in the hockey world, inside the organiztion or outside...well you just go right on thinking that.

You must be absolutely floored every time there is a trade in the NHL.

Old
03-23-2011, 12:39 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
LOL this line of questioning is silly. If you think there is absolutely nobody available anywhere in the hockey world, inside the organiztion or outside...well you just go right on thinking that.

Rather questioning someone's thinking, why not just give some names and continue the conversation in a productive direction.

03-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Rather questioning someone's thinking, why not just give some names and continue the conversation in a productive direction.
OK fair enough. I'm just going to say that there are always players available for callup or trade in the NHL and leave it at that.

Old
03-23-2011, 12:48 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:

That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about, instead of you answering my question you just look to berate me. It's a fair question to be asking as at the time of the signing, I saw no one else worthwhile to take a chance on other than Frolov. It was obvious that he was either going to be a stop gap or would reinvent himself and we would resign him after the year.

It didn't work out, due to injuries, as I still think his play was decent. The Rangers weren't looking to trade anyone at the time, since they didn't want to give up assets to simply fill out their roster.

Honestly I'm still fine with the move. It didn't work out, move on, but to make it seem like he was god awful is just ridiculous. Sure he wasn't scoring like anyone expected him to, but he wasn't a liability out their either and was actually surprisingly defensively responsible.

Old
03-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
OK fair enough. I'm just going to say that there are always players available for callup or trade in the NHL and leave it at that.
So you would rather have an AHL level player instead of Frolov? And what did we have to trade, you would have wanted to send off an asset to fill his roster spot?

Old
03-23-2011, 12:51 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I still think Fro's board work and work in the dirty areas is underrated. Yes i'm incredibly disappointed he never found his scoring groove (I thought he was a lock for potting 20+ when we signed him) but he wasn't as horrendously bad as most people make him out to be.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 12:53 PM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
This is were ppl need to get a clue. Fro was not at the top of his game. But he brought a presence that created space on the ice and created chances when he was on the ice. You forget (imo), when stating Fro is much worse than W2 because u can ask any manager in the league who they would take next year at the same sallary, i bet 9/10 would say Fro.
While I agree with a few points you made about Rozy better than McCabe and Stepan definitely not holding up WW's game... this where you go from sensible to lunacy. Frolov is TERRIBLE. He did absolutely nothing for this team. Was he good at keeping players away from the puck? Sure... I will give you that. The problem is that he did nothing with the puck when he had it. He also fell down more than any player I have ever seen in my life. He was a like a frickin' toddler out there on the ice. There is no GM in the league that will take this guy and he is pretty much guaranteed to be in the KHL next year.

Though WW's salary is not ideal, it is the better of two worlds (dumping Rozy's). And I have no doubt that Sather could find a trading partner in the NHL for Wolski. He has a lot of talent and it was evident for a month when Zuc-Step-WW were pretty much the best bet on this team for creating scoring chances. They are struggling now and not getting as much ice time. I would expect that when there are two rookies on the line. IMO- WW is a future top 2 LW... while Fro can't even play in the NHL.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

On pace for Nearly 40 points and 15 goals for a 3rd liner (which is what he was on this team) is not to shabby. Sometimes the expectations outweigh the results

Old
03-23-2011, 01:21 PM
94now

VV forechecks relentlessly. Forecheckers score sometimes, but they work for linemates. VV carries the puck through neutral zone, something Stepan is not confident yet at. Puck carriers do not score as much as those they deliver the puck to. VV is good on breakaways, yet opposition is not stupid, they are aware who is on the ice, so he doesn't get the opportunities to meet G one-on-one other than SO.
This "what have you done for me lately" approach has to stop, seriously. There is much more in a forward's role than just scoring. Especially playing 3rd line.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Avery316
guilty as charged

Quote:
Ok and what NHL is this you speak of? Pre-lock out?

Avery316 is offline   Reply With Quote