HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Broadcasters Pete Weber and Terry Crisp receive extension

Old
03-22-2011, 08:16 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

vCash: 500
Broadcasters Pete Weber and Terry Crisp receive extension

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|NSH|home

Congrats to Weber and Crisp

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 08:18 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Would rather it of been Tom Callahan...

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 08:36 PM
OpenWheel

Good to have you still on board Pete and Terry! I have enjoyed listening for all 13 years.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:19 PM
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm

As I said on the Preds Facebook update I have three fears in life. Taxes, spiders, and the day Pete and Terry no longer do our games. Callahan is great for radio but on TV Pete and Terry are damn entertaining.

JohniusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:44 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohniusMaximus View Post
As I said on the Preds Facebook update I have three fears in life. Taxes, spiders, and the day Pete and Terry no longer do our games. Callahan is great for radio but on TV Pete and Terry are damn entertaining.
correct ... they suck when the game is not on local tv

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 12:01 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
correct ... they suck when the game is not on local tv
Yes, if it's a non televised game it should be Tom for sure.

kypredsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 08:53 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Pete just isn't a good radio guy.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:59 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohniusMaximus View Post
I disagree about Callahan he is not a good hockey announcer at all for radio. He doesn't follow the puck at all. He's too busy thinking he's a comedian which he is not. He would say Legwand in the corner ...which corner? There are four corners. The only thing he does is tell you when they score. He has the worst goal call I've ever heard. I liked it better when they simulcast with the tv with Pete and Terry. That said I like Stu but like Belak better. Belak is very humorous and a great style.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 10:53 AM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

I'm sort of getting sick of Crispy. It's the same song and dance every night.

"I don't like those lateral passes, Petey."

After hearing Daryl Reaugh for the last few years, he's the best color guy out there IMO. He's objective and intelligent, and actually analyzes the play. Lots of other teams have color guys who analyze what's happening in that particular game.

Crispy literally reads from the same script night in and night out.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Liquidfire3240

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears19 View Post
I'm sort of getting sick of Crispy. It's the same song and dance every night.

"I don't like those lateral passes, Petey."

After hearing Daryl Reaugh for the last few years, he's the best color guy out there IMO. He's objective and intelligent, and actually analyzes the play. Lots of other teams have color guys who analyze what's happening in that particular game.

Crispy literally reads from the same script night in and night out.
Well show me a game where a pred hasnt made a bonehead pass up the middle to get it out of our zone.

Liquidfire3240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:52 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidfire3240 View Post
Well show me a game where a pred hasnt made a bonehead pass up the middle to get it out of our zone.
Yeah, maybe the "same song and dance" commentary is due to similar plays happening over and over.

Old
03-23-2011, 02:24 PM
Adz

I prefer Pete and Terry for TV and Tom for the radio. Tom's more descriptive, Pete and Terry are good when you can watch the action but still listen to commentary. I still miss Eli Gold. At first I didn't like him much--it was like Buffalo Bill (from the old TV show--Dabney Coleman) calling a Preds game. But after I gave him a chance, I really liked his style.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 02:41 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidfire3240 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
Yeah, maybe the "same song and dance" commentary is due to similar plays happening over and over.
Look, don't get me wrong. I fully expected to get some flack over my comment. I like Crisp, I really do. I like the old school aspect he brings to the game, and I like when he'll tell a story about the old days.

But sometimes, I feel like he's talking to the fans like it's their first game or something. I've been following the Preds for over a decade now. Most people have a somewhat astute understanding of the game. Our fan base has grown leaps and bounds from the "Hockey 101" days.

I just think either we can get someone in who can do both the soft, funny stories and provide insightful analysis. Lately, it's so predicable that I don't even listen to his color commentating anymore.

Don't want a homer. Don't want a hater. Just want an objective voice to let us in behind the scenes. If Cripsy can be that voice, then fine, but enough with the Mickey Mouse analysis.

But I guess there are bigger problems we could be worried about than our CC. So I guess that's the bright side.

Here's his knightly script: Time and Space, Marketing Announcement about future promotions, Too many lateral passes, Not getting the puck deep, No one in front of the net.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 02:59 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears19 View Post
Look, don't get me wrong. I fully expected to get some flack over my comment.
I wasn't giving you flack. In some ways I agree. I just found it humorous that we do make some of the same mistakes regularly.

Quote:
Here's his knightly script: Time and Space, Marketing Announcement about future promotions, Too many lateral passes, Not getting the puck deep, No one in front of the net.
Yes, but each broadcast there's usually one comment I find newer and somewhat insightful, mixed in with his favorites. Because he does know much about the game and how to teach it, even if he is old school. And his favorite ideas may be cliches but they became cliches because they often work. And I think his talk about the other teams and player is usually ok and can be interesting and shows he does keep up with hockey and isn't mailing it in.

Many times I listen to or watch streams of the opposing announcers and skip our guys, just for a new perspective. I find some of the other announcers a bit more analytical, and I enjoy hearing their analysis of our team or the games we are in. But their fans probably feel they hear much of the same stuff over and over. Everyone has pet ideas or pet phrases.

Old
03-23-2011, 03:36 PM
TheWes

This may be unpopular...

I, for one, cannot stand listening to Terry Crisp. I think he is wayyy too negative toward the Preds and overly gushing to the competition. I was watching the game against Edmonton last night and he spent the entire last 2/3 of the game talking about how bad the Preds were playing and how incredible the Oilers are. Nashville didn't play their best game last night, but they outshot Edmonton 30-20 and won the game 3-1. I have resorted to muting the TV whenever I hear him start to speak.

TheWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 05:01 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWes View Post
I, for one, cannot stand listening to Terry Crisp. I think he is wayyy too negative toward the Preds and overly gushing to the competition. I was watching the game against Edmonton last night and he spent the entire last 2/3 of the game talking about how bad the Preds were playing and how incredible the Oilers are. Nashville didn't play their best game last night, but they outshot Edmonton 30-20 and won the game 3-1. I have resorted to muting the TV whenever I hear him start to speak.
Well, he may have overdone it a bit, but the absolute worst thing you can get from an announcer is complete rah-rah homerism even when the home team is stinking up the ice.

And truthfully, for a team with a quite a bit less talent that we have, Edmonton took it to us for much of the game. Rinne saved our butts, and we got a very timely goal from Legwand that let us be comfortable.

My biggest complaint is they get busy trying to crack jokes and dont call the action on the ice

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 10:11 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Well, he may have overdone it a bit, but the absolute worst thing you can get from an announcer is complete rah-rah homerism even when the home team is stinking up the ice.

And truthfully, for a team with a quite a bit less talent that we have, Edmonton took it to us for much of the game. Rinne saved our butts, and we got a very timely goal from Legwand that let us be comfortable.

My biggest complaint is they get busy trying to crack jokes and dont call the action on the ice
mine too..I too like them but the jokes all the time are a bit tiresome. They think they are funny but not all the time.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:58 AM
TheWes

I agree...but

I agree to some extent, but if I am watching a game where the Preds are stinking up the ice, I am already a little annoyed. The last thing I want to hear is the announced blasting my team the entire game. Like I said before, the preds didn't play the best they possible could (and what hockey team plays up to their full potential every game), but his comments made it sound like they were getting run out of the building.

Also, I wouldn't have such a problem with his constant criticism if he was more balanced about it. He says very little when the preds are actually playing well. I remember the game where we got shutout on home ice against the Oilers, and they got just about the worst reaming I have ever heard out of Crisp. But the next game, we played the Red Wings at the Joe and completely dominated them in every facet of the game, and that was about the quietest I have ever heard him. Even Pete was making comments on how well they were playing, but Crisp kept his mouth shut.

My solution: Get a broadcast team that isn't old and grumpy, and a color commentator that isn't a former coach.

Old
03-24-2011, 01:20 PM
66Falconboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWes View Post
My solution: Get a broadcast team that isn't old and grumpy, and a color commentator that isn't a former coach.
C'mon....Old and grumpy? Those guys are nothing but smiles the whole time they're on the air.

Crispy has won the cup as both a player and a coach....pretty much the perfect resume for a color man. I think you're off-base on both accounts.

Last edited by 66Falconboy: 03-24-2011 at 02:20 PM.
66Falconboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 01:38 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Falconboy View Post
C'mon....Old and grumpy? Those guys are nothing but smiles the whole time they're on the air.

Crispy has one the cup as both a player and a coach....pretty much the perfect resume for a color man. I think you're off-base on both accounts.
agree... Crispy is not grumpy... i think he doesnt want to sound like a homer and is passionate about the team and thus probably comes across stronger with his criticism than he does his praise

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 02:32 PM
TheWes

Ok...

Maybe grumpy was too strong of a word. I just say that because I have noticed that it has gotten worse over the years.

I have listened to a lot of other announcers around the league, and none of them rant and rail on their team the way that Terry does. There is nothing wrong with giving the other team credit and offering some constructive criticism, but he crosses the line much of the time. Going back to the Edmonton game, the Oilers had a couple of stretches where they held the territorial play, but the Preds carried the play for most of the game and it showed statistically. There was no reason to take the criticism to the level that he did. At one point he said, "I can't believe what is going on on the ice right now...I guess it is what it is". Come on now, that is just gratuitous. I am trying to enjoy my team play, not listen to the color man rip them a new one.

I think a lot of it might have to do with him being a former coach and having that more critical perspective of the game. I tell you what, I would have hated playing for him if he never had anything good to say.

Old
03-24-2011, 04:54 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

I have mixed emotions on their renewal.
I think they do wander sometimes from broadcasting and color too far with their ramblings. For many who are new to the game as I once was, they can be very educational. I think that the amount of experience and knowledge of the game you have colors your perception of them, and whether you enjoy listening to them. At any rate, it could be worse-- their are several broadcasters I would absolutely mute the entire game if they did Preds games (I am thinking of you, CBus, Bluesers, NESN, etc...)

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote