HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ed Rendell calls out GQ Magazine for bad mouthing Philly fans

Old
03-23-2011, 09:57 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Ed Rendell calls out GQ Magazine for bad mouthing Philly fans

Epic article/letter from Ed Rendell

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz1HQTW9CAZ

Quote:
Ask Brian Dawkins, the ex-Eagle now with the Broncos, who are the best fans in the NFL and he will tell you there are good fans in many places, but none like ours. And, Jim, did anyone at GQ listen to star pitcher Cliff Lee when he turned down an offer of more money from the beloved New York Yankees to sign with the Phillies? This is what Cliff had to say about the "worst fans in America":

"You can feel the volume. Every game has got an elevated feel to it compared to everywhere else. It's completely different. I don't know what the fans do to create that much more volume and excitement in the stadium, but it's definitely something extra here. I don't know what it is, but it's something they're doing. They get excited. They're passionate fans. They understand what's going on. They don't need a teleprompter to tell them to get up and cheer, to do that. No, it's exciting."

Lastly, let's talk about the good our fans do. In the last 6 years, Eagles fans have helped raise more than $1.5 million to fight breast cancer and have donated more than 21,000 pounds of food to hunger relief organizations. Not to be outdone, in the last two decades Phillies fans have donated $11 million to help fight ALS, $800,000 last year alone. And incredibly - in what has to be an unprecedented gesture - the fans funded the creation of a 7 1/2-foot bronze statue of the Phils' beloved, now-deceased announcer Harry Kalas and presented it as a gift to the club in Harry's memory.

"Worst fans"? Hardly. "Best fans"? Probably.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:20 AM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

vCash: 500
I don't need to argue for the label of "best fans". I'm just glad someone's taking time to refute the lazy, antiquated "worst fans" story.

NitHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:26 AM
zarley zelepukin

You could tell GQ really went at this story from a fresh angle and did a lot of research on the topic since pretty much the first thing they brought up about Philly was that we booed Santa Claus.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:28 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Things that occurred nearly 4 decades/a full generation ago are clearly relevant.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:35 AM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

I don't even get how the Santa Claus thing got so prevalent. Random folks off the street point it out to me in Pittsburgh whenever they wanna get in a Flyers/Penguins argument, they weren't alive then and it wasn't even the same sport. Feel like I'll be responding to that charge til I die.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:41 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Black View Post
I don't even get how the Santa Claus thing got so prevalent. Random folks off the street point it out to me in Pittsburgh whenever they wanna get in a Flyers/Penguins argument, they weren't alive then and it wasn't even the same sport. Feel like I'll be responding to that charge til I die.
I've been called a racist slavery-supporting rebel because I grew up in Richmond VA. It's important to point out that I am not 170 years old.

Some people are sort of dumb, I guess.

Old
03-23-2011, 11:44 AM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I've been called a racist slavery-supporting rebel because I grew up in Richmond VA. It's important to point out that I am not 170 years old.

Yeah, for the most part. But then I have this tremendously brilliant Urban Studies professor who mentioned it to me...he's from New Zealand. He said "Santy Clause" though. I have not clue how he's aware of that.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:55 AM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

What kind of reaction do you get from those name-spewing nitwits when you point out the fact that the slaves who were brought here were sold into slavery by their own people?

ShotScore* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 12:17 PM
BernieParent

IMO, there are 4 elements to being a "good" fan:
- Passion
- Loyalty
- Sportsmanship
- Knowledge

Philly fans (from a non-Philadelphia resident) have passion in spades, and generally seem knowledgeable across the major sports. One thing I despise with Montreal crowds is that they howl at any call against the Canadiens, no matter how blatant. Loyalty here rides roughshod over knowledge of the game. Where else would fans call 9-1-1 after a flagrant sports play?

Re: sportsmanship the whole "Santa Claus" thing won't go away, unfortunately, but what generally – again, across the different sports – is the reaction to, say, an opponent being injured? I believe there's a certain degree of extrapolation that, because of the rep of the Broad Street Bullies, the fans enjoy the more violent aspect of hockey and, therefore, are more inclined to show little remorse for an injured opponent. That's a theory I offer without sufficient examples or comparisons with other sports venues in other cities.

As for loyalty, much could be said against Montrealers' turning away from the Expos, though I would argue long and hard about the willful neglect of ownership and fan abuse.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:36 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Fast Eddy wrote a good piece, but I guess he's gotta find a spotlight somewhere. He's out of office now, and with a possibility of no NFL season looming his Eagles Post-Game gig is in jeopardy.

Phileeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:41 PM
park rangers
Optimist

Scummiest fans in sports? Philadelphia fans hands down.

I'm a die hard Giants/Rangers fan....i've been to enough games to know. (I have Giants season tix so I see the dirtbags that come out for the Eagle game every year)

Montreal Canadien fans ARE giving you guys a run for your money... they repeatedly boo our national anthem and that pisses me off

park rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:46 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingBlueSince92 View Post

I'm a die hard Giants/Rangers fan....i've been to enough games to know. (I have Giants season tix so I see the dirtbags that come out for the Eagle game every year)

Montreal Canadien fans ARE giving you guys a run for your money... they repeatedly boo our national anthem and that pisses me off

ShotScore* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:54 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

This has potential to turn south fast.

Old
03-23-2011, 02:44 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:

Lol. The same thing can be said about NY fans. Go to a Phillies Mets game or an Eagles Giants game and see what happens. The reason fights and stuff break out is because the visiting fans come in and disrespect the other fans or the stadium itself. What about the guys who wear Rangers jerseys to a Flyers-Sabres game and start Flyers suck chants. That is class right there. I'm sure Philly fans do the same type of thing on some level, but you can't be calling Philly fans the scummiest around when NY fans (and most fans involved in a heated rivalry) do the same crap.

Old
03-23-2011, 02:57 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:

El oh el.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 02:57 PM
TOCxNJ

Quote:

This coming from a fan of teams that are from arguably the dirtiest city in America. Do you not realize that NJ gets a bad name because of your garbage state? Keep your trash on your side of the border instead of further polluting what is left of NJ.

Maybe it really is all NY fans that are completely blind to anything outside of NYC.

TOCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 03:19 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Quote:

I'm really glad the Mets sell out every game. I'm really glad the Yankees sell out every game.

I'm really glad the Jets almost blacked out there games. I'm really glad the Nets are moving. I'm really glad the Devils fill like 70% of the Prudential center. I'm really glad the Islanders/Red Bulls have such great fans.

And Knicks/Rangers sell out majority, but its ridiculously "Corporate".

Tri-State Sport fans aren't even good. Those fan bases aren't even worth discussion

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 03:22 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
I'm really glad the Mets sell out every game. I'm really glad the Yankees sell out every game.

I'm really glad the Jets almost blacked out there games. I'm really glad the Nets are moving. I'm really glad the Devils fill like 70% of the Prudential center. I'm really glad the Islanders/Red Bulls have such great fans.

Tri-State Sport fans aren't even good. Those fan bases aren't even worth discussion
Lol. But they are so polite and classy that they are better than Philly fans!

EDIT: RBNY actually has a pretty dedicated fanbase so I wouldn't bring them into the mix.

Old
03-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Bort Sampson

Quote:

lol "BleedingBlueSince92"

I also like how you didn't specify whether the "dirtbags" you talk about were from Philly or New York.

Bort Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 03:24 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Lol. But they are so polite and classy that they are better than Philly fans!

EDIT: RBNY actually has a pretty dedicated fanbase so I wouldn't bring them into the mix.
Haha RBNY do have a solid fanbase, I will give you that!

Old
03-23-2011, 03:26 PM
infidelappel*

I've been to numerous Flyers games in New Jersey and, since moving up to NYC, I've been to Madison Square Garden a handful of times.

Whenever I go to games, I quietly watch and applaud good plays when necessary. This is true for both home and away. I don't engage fans of the other teams much; at the Wells Fargo Center I've had more than a few intelligent discussions and shared some beers with visiting fans, but never talked down to them or made trouble. Not once.

When I go to away games I'm similarly reserved. I wear my Flyers gear, but I don't celebrate much at all, let alone obnoxiously. I don't partake in chants or anything like that; I just mind my own business. Without fail, Jersey and Rangers fans have taken every opportunity to yell at me, curse at me, and attempt to instigate me, but I don't fire back, except once or twice when a simple statement that's fairly neutral usually shuts them up.

There are plenty of classless Philly fans, but there's plenty in all arenas.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 03:29 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
I've been to numerous Flyers games in New Jersey and, since moving up to NYC, I've been to Madison Square Garden a handful of times.

Whenever I go to games, I quietly watch and applaud good plays when necessary. This is true for both home and away. I don't engage fans of the other teams much; at the Wells Fargo Center I've had more than a few intelligent discussions and shared some beers with visiting fans, but never talked down to them or made trouble. Not once.

When I go to away games I'm similarly reserved. I wear my Flyers gear, but I don't celebrate much at all, let alone obnoxiously. I don't partake in chants or anything like that; I just mind my own business. Without fail, Jersey and Rangers fans have taken every opportunity to yell at me, curse at me, and attempt to instigate me, but I don't fire back, except once or twice when a simple statement that's fairly neutral usually shuts them up.

I'm the same way.

Perfect summary.

Old
03-23-2011, 04:35 PM
zalapski

Quote:

This is ridiculously flawed. You realize that the same thing applies to many New York fans who come to Philadelphia? And you really think that their behavior is any less obnoxious? Of course all confrontations are started by Philadelphia fans, though. Both fanbases contain idiots because... shocker... there are a lot of idiots in the world. Doesn't help when alcohol is added to the situation. Why am I not surprised at '92'...

zalapski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 06:27 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post

That's being a little too reserved. I have no problem going into an opposing arena and booing or celebrating and would have no problem with an opposing fan doing the same. The problem is when people do things to deliberately disrespect other fans in the stands or the stadium itself. There is absolutely nothing wrong with going nuts if the Flyers score at MSG and nothing wrong with booing when the Rangers do. There is problem with flipping people off, cursing at fans of the opposing team just for being there, vandalizing the stadium, etc.

Old
03-23-2011, 07:03 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Atleast Philly doesn't have this idiot.