HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrick Wiercioch

Old
03-23-2011, 06:58 AM
koreaboy

vCash: 500
i think the kid ended up -3 on the night. he definitely struggled. the highlights for him were probably a nice breakout pass down the wing to foligno for a scoring chance, and a shot from the point through a screen that hit the post and almost went in.

defensively he looked hesitant and he did a very poor job of stepping up on guys and taking away space. he has a long way to go, and he aint a blue chip prospect, IMO.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 07:11 AM
Minister of Offence

I'd say Kuba and McIlhenney were more responsible for that -3. PW caused one turnover by leaving someone out to try with a pass behind the guy in the middle of the defensive zone.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 08:46 AM
koreaboy

i look at the kid and i see alex picard. i think that's what he projects out to be. big and rangy, a good skater, a bit of offence, but spotty defensively and a little shy to make full use of his size.

i bet you in 4-5 years' time, wiercioch is alex picard. a marginal bottom pair defenceman.

Old
03-23-2011, 08:57 AM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreaboy View Post
i look at the kid and i see alex picard. i think that's what he projects out to be. big and rangy, a good skater, a bit of offence, but spotty defensively and a little shy to make full use of his size.

i bet you in 4-5 years' time, wiercioch is alex picard. a marginal bottom pair defenceman.
What size? He's no bigger than a pop-cycle stick.

mat_sens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:06 AM
sens83

Quote:

You really think he's a good skater? He always seems like he is awkward on skates and is going to fall over to me...

sens83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:40 AM
Ron Jeremy

I see him kinda like Brian Lee. Big kid who needs to bulk up and play tougher. Once Lee bulked up and learned to use his size, he's been a serviceable 3-4 d-man. PW should take pointers.

Ron Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Come on guys really? People who didn't know him had built up unreasonable expectations of the guy but that should have been tempered by now.The kid is 20 years old, very tall and lanky. It was obvious in the NHL preseason that he wasn't even close to being ready. His start in the AHL showed that he needed a lot of work. It should come as no surprise to anyone that he would have trouble playing his first game especially when he is paired with Kuba who isn't exactly a shut down guy.

Lets cut him some slack. Trying to predict his top end is just a wild guess. Until he matures a bit, puts on some mass and has a chance to play some more games in a year, 2 or even 3, how can anyone even say what he will look like.

With all the other D prospects there is no sense rushing him or rushing to judgment either way good or bad.

btw) Kuba is said to be 6'4" but in the few camera angles where they stood close together Wiercioch looked taller than him.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 10:23 AM
Brycios

Before any more people talk about the "apparent issues between the ears" that Wiercioch has, read this (first page of this thread):

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamigo View Post
It fell to coach Kurt Kleinendorst to convince Wiercioch that he wasn’t there yet, but would be soon if he was willing to do the work.

“I think that the early expectations that were placed on him were a little bit unfair,” Kleinendorst said. “I just feel like, once I got to know Patty a little bit, it wasn’t really fair. I saw what it had done to him. It built him up and he thought he was so close.”

Since then, the coach said, Wiercioch has delivered on and off the ice.

“The challenge was to be the best player you can be at the rink and away from the rink, that you make good choices in what you do socially and how you take care of yourself — view your body as your temple so to speak,” Kleinendorst said.

You come in early every day, stay late every day and whatever we’re selling, you’re buying. He has done everything asked.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...#ixzz1HL9DHe36
You can interpret this as Patty having mental issues, but that is taking things a bit out of context. This place spreads rumours like a tabloid.

-He was overconfident to start the season because of hype.
-It is no longer an issue and he has been working hard since then.

Brycios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 10:24 AM
pt_mck

He is a good exampple of why you can't really trust college performance and project it to the pros. There is a huuge difference between college and the AHL let alone the NHL. He may have the tools to become a pro one day but still needs development. If it weren't for injuries, I'd prefer to see Bobby Butler in Bingo to further refine his development before getting a shot.

pt_mck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 10:30 AM
SenzZen
Up Late With McBain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski View Post
Gryba is not ready either..don't really know why Weircoich was called before Gryba..
Because Gonchar is out- not Lee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiercioch2Karlsson View Post
This. I hope he can up his aggressiveness... but it just seems he doesn't have the mental makeup to be an NHL'er.

Greening, Condra, and Smith on the other hand! Man, you can't teach the attitude these guys have - it's just awesome. Hope it can rub off onto Wiercioch in a serious way.
OK. Greening is 25, Condra is 24, and Smith will be 23 in 2 weeks. And they're all forwards. Please pick a better comparison for a 20 year old PMD in his NHL debut. And I don't know that you can't teach these attitudes, but I do know that they can be learned. Through trial and error.

It's waaaay too soon to write this guy off because of his "mental makeup". He needs time and weight.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 10:53 AM
koreaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat_sens View Post
What size? He's no bigger than a pop-cycle stick.
you have to think he's going to fill out from the 192 lbs he supposedly is now. a frame that big should be able to support 215-225 lbs if its going to play at the NHL level. give him a couple more years of maturity and strength work administered by NHL training staffs, and the kid will probably be big and strong by the time he's 24-25.

Old
03-23-2011, 11:17 AM
OgieO

One game is waaaaay too early to be making comparisons. Anyone consider the fact that he was possibly nervous?? Kuba sure as hell didn't help out either, my heavens that man is unfathomably awful.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Buckleys

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgieO View Post
One game is waaaaay too early to be making comparisons. Anyone consider the fact that he was possibly nervous?? Kuba sure as hell didn't help out either, my heavens that man is unfathomably awful.
This. I mean the guy is 20. Not everyone break into the league as early as guys like Karlsson. It was his first game. My prediction is he beefs up bgi time this summer, comes back and has a strong year in the AHL with a few games in the NHL, and he either makes the roster the following year or overtakes someone by the half way point. Give him sometime, but the time he is 23-24, he'll be on the second pairing seeing health amounts of special teams.

Buckleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 12:25 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

I think he did alright his first game in the Nhl. He was obviously nervous & backed up a couple of times when he should have went after the puck carrier but Kuba & MacElhinney didn't hep him much either. I see him to be more like an Eric Brewer kind of player & hopefully not like Kuba. He isn't very physical for a guy his size but he is a good skater & that past to spring Foligno on that break away was a great pass.

He needs time to mature & learn the pro game & put on more beef but in time he should be a decent defenceman. Haven't we always heard that defencemen take longer to develop, it's a harder position to learn. I think he will have a much better yr in Bingo next season & begin to put up more pts on the board. D. Smith didn't look to good in his NHL debut either but his second time around he was much better.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 12:32 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
I don't really care about his slow start this year, or the fact that he needs time. He has great hands and skates really well. Once he fills out, he'll be the total athletic package.

His problem, apparently, is between the ears. I hope his mindset changes... he gets tougher and more aggressive, mentally. I don't see him ever turning into the kind of guy you want to go into battle with... into the NHL playoffs with.
KK said he is doing everything he needs to be doing.

What a ***** that Wiercioch kid is.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:07 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I think he did alright his first game in the Nhl. He was obviously nervous & backed up a couple of times when he should have went after the puck carrier but Kuba & MacElhinney didn't hep him much either. I see him to be more like an Eric Brewer kind of player & hopefully not like Kuba. He isn't very physical for a guy his size but he is a good skater & that past to spring Foligno on that break away was a great pass.

He needs time to mature & learn the pro game & put on more beef but in time he should be a decent defenceman. Haven't we always heard that defencemen take longer to develop, it's a harder position to learn. I think he will have a much better yr in Bingo next season & begin to put up more pts on the board. D. Smith didn't look to good in his NHL debut either but his second time around he was much better.
I don't think Brewer is a good comparable. Brewer's a shutdown guy, with a good degree of physicality. I think Kuba is a better comparable. Wiercioch will have size, but he won't be overly physical, and his defensive play will be decent if he develops properly.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:18 PM
Bileur

I agree one game is early to be making comparisons.

However, just for fun having not seen him play much, based on skillset/size/pedigree - Ryan Whitney.

Bileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
This. I hope he can up his aggressiveness... but it just seems he doesn't have the mental makeup to be an NHL'er.

Greening, Condra, and Smith on the other hand! Man, you can't teach the attitude these guys have - it's just awesome. Hope it can rub off onto Wiercioch in a serious way.
Thank you for the info. Unfrotunately, I couldn't catch the game...

So do we label him a bust or maybe we give him more time since he is 20 y/o D-man as opposed to Greening, Condra and Smith who are all 23 y/o and more???

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGSens View Post
Too many people commenting on a player when they have zero clue what they are talking about.
Well, of course, that's the case at least 80% of the time but it's expected since we are on public message boards. I always take all this with a big grain of salt. Too many ppl just talk out of their ass.

Quote:
i think the kid ended up -3 on the night. he definitely struggled. the highlights for him were probably a nice breakout pass down the wing to foligno for a scoring chance, and a shot from the point through a screen that hit the post and almost went in...
He was - 2 according to NHL.com. Almost had a goal and an assist though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur View Post
I agree one game is early to be making comparisons.

However, just for fun having not seen him play much, based on skillset/size/pedigree - Ryan Whitney.
Very good comparison, and makes a lot of sense. I'll look for this more closely on Thursday if PW plays again

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Tuna99

If he gets more games he'll get notcieably better per game.

Brian Lee was amazing his first game and it took him 2 more years and a 25 game slump to even find his game. Weircoche is smart and is maybe our most improved prospect the last 2 years, he's only going to gte better and better

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:42 PM
coladin

Quote:

I don;t think Alex Picard was considered for the World Juniors two years running, was he?

Your opinion is quite reasonable however. Most of the quote here is filled with such reckless, groundless speculation it just makes you .

coladin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
So do we label him a bust
Come on X... you should know better. If Jim O'brien is still considered a prospect then Wiercioch can suck monkey balls for a few years before you can really say he's a bust.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Wiercioch2Karlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
KK said he is doing everything he needs to be doing.

What a ***** that Wiercioch kid is.
I'm not saying he isn't listening to the coach. Apparently, quite the opposite. I just question - and have questioned for some time now - whether or not he has the jam to play against tough men.

I don't think you can really teach that, but I hope I'm wrong. After all, Lee has progressed to some extent in that department.

Wiercioch2Karlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:47 PM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

He was fine. He's 20 years old and probably remembers about 6 seconds of his 9 minutes of ice time. He needs a good 30-40 games to even begin to figure out the NHL level for a D-man. He's coachable and will only get stronger.

Oh yeah, it was 1 game. Give me a break folks.

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:52 PM
HappyDude
Fire Cameron

I see him as a Filip Kuba type guy. Lots of size but doesn't use it. Offensive dynamo but not to hot defensively. Relies on long reach on positioning. Filip Kuba 2.0.

HappyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:54 PM
SenzZen
Up Late With McBain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
Come on X... you should know better. If Jim O'brien is still considered a prospect then Wiercioch can suck monkey balls for a few years before you can really say he's a bust.
Sure, O'Brien looks like the guy from ZekeA's avatar, but are you suggesting a 22 year old guy who improved his point total from 17 to 47 points in one season is no longer a prospect?

Quote:
I just question - and have questioned for some time now - whether or not he has the jam to play against tough men.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote