HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Offseason Trade PROPOSAL BUF & MIN

Old
03-23-2011, 11:31 AM
The Bored Warrior
Ted Nolan Hates Me!!

vCash: 500
Offseason Trade PROPOSAL BUF & MIN

Wanted to run this trade Proposal by everyone to see what everyone thinks.

To Buffalo:
D Brent Burns

To Minnesota:
RW Drew Stafford & a 2nd Round draft pick in 2012

The Bored Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:34 AM
OpethianSabre20

I like the way Drew has come along this season, but if the Wild were ever crazy enough to pull the trigger on that deal, I'd drive Drew to the airport myself.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:48 AM
kcoxsabresfan

Well, Stafford is an RFA after the season.

Burns has one year at 4m salary, 3.455 cap hit.

So:
RFA rights to Stafford
2nd round

=

Brent Burns 1 year at 3.455

I don't like it. Burns has missed to much time with injuries. Stafford is one of the few finishers the Sabres have. I'd rather bank on him improving and shoring up the D from within. McNabb, Pysyk, Brennan, Biega, Crawford, Gragnani, Etc.

kcoxsabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 12:48 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

I'd do that. In a heartbeat.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

We already have a Brent Burns. His name is Tyler Myers.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:06 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
Doesn't matter. Burns is one of the best 10 (and I'm being conservative) defensemen in the league, I would definitely pull the trigger. This trade is quite lopsided in our favor. Truth is it would probably take someone like Parise to get Burns, not Stafford, so it is all moot.

Last edited by thefifagod: 03-23-2011 at 01:12 PM.
thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:09 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
So what you're saying is you wouldn't trade Stafford's expiring contract and a 2nd next year for another one of him?

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:16 PM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Yeah. Who needs two of those?

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:24 PM
The Bored Warrior
Ted Nolan Hates Me!!

My thinking was that we going to have get another D-man next season anyway so why overpay for a guy like Christian Ehrhoff. when we have good RW depth (Boyes,Pominville,Kassian,McCormick/Kaleta) without Stafford. Our Defense would be

Sekera-Myers
Leopold-Burns
Butler/Weber-Montador

Old
03-23-2011, 01:30 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
Doesn't matter. Burns is one of the best 10 (and I'm being conservative) defensemen in the league, I would definitely pull the trigger. This trade is quite lopsided in our favor. Truth is it would probably take someone like Parise to get Burns, not Stafford, so it is all moot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTagonTough View Post
So what you're saying is you wouldn't trade Stafford's expiring contract and a 2nd next year for another one of him?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabathia View Post
Yeah. Who needs two of those?
First of all, Burns is not a top 10 defenseman in the league. He plays a similar style to Myers. He's big, physical, fast, and can produce offense on his own. But he's prone to making positional mistakes in his own end. He's basically Myers minus 2 inches and plus 5 years in age. Not to mention, when Myers becomes an RFA (2012 off-season), Burns becomes an UFA. Do you honestly think we could lock both of them up in 1 off-season? No. They'll both be asking for all-star money, and one of them would be forced to go somewhere else.

So what's the point in having both of them for 1 year? When we could sign a guy like Pitkanen, Ehrhoff, or trade for a left handed defenseman who can actually PLAY with Myers and make a legit top pair? It might cost more in the short-term (as far as cap hit goes), but it will be a lot more helpful in the long-term when we have to re-sign guys like Myers and Ennis in 2012.

If we go after a #2 defenseman, I don't want him to be a clone of Myers. I want him to be a top tier shut-down defender who can play on a pair with Myers (Pitkanen and Ehrhoff aren't shut-down guys, but you get my point).

Old
03-23-2011, 01:35 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Brent Burns is NOT available.............

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:47 PM
The Bored Warrior
Ted Nolan Hates Me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
Brent Burns is NOT available.............
Burns may be available
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...n-the-way.html

Old
03-23-2011, 01:55 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
It's been discussed on the trade forums... even the Wild's fanbase said absolutely not, boar warrior, to any discussion of Burns being traded........... no one was even sure if he had a concussion, which turned out to be vertigo.........

Old
03-23-2011, 02:00 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
First of all, Burns is not a top 10 defenseman in the league. He plays a similar style to Myers. He's big, physical, fast, and can produce offense on his own. But he's prone to making positional mistakes in his own end. He's basically Myers minus 2 inches and plus 5 years in age. Not to mention, when Myers becomes an RFA (2012 off-season), Burns becomes an UFA. Do you honestly think we could lock both of them up in 1 off-season? No. They'll both be asking for all-star money, and one of them would be forced to go somewhere else.

So what's the point in having both of them for 1 year? When we could sign a guy like Pitkanen, Ehrhoff, or trade for a left handed defenseman who can actually PLAY with Myers and make a legit top pair? It might cost more in the short-term (as far as cap hit goes), but it will be a lot more helpful in the long-term when we have to re-sign guys like Myers and Ennis in 2012.

If we go after a #2 defenseman, I don't want him to be a clone of Myers. I want him to be a top tier shut-down defender who can play on a pair with Myers (Pitkanen and Ehrhoff aren't shut-down guys, but you get my point).
We're going to have to disagree with him regarding top 10, but I wouldn't hesitate saying top 10. He certainly is in the top 10 this year. Honestly, yes I do think we can lock them both up if we wanted to because we only have 5 people signed at the moment for 2012-2013, Vanek, Roy, Pominville, Leopold and Miller. Who knows where the cap will be in 2 years, it's not out of the realm of possibility that its 6 million more than this year. If that's the way the team wanted to go, they could certainly sign both. Plus how much of a difference from Burns' salary to Stafford's would there be, a couple million maybe? For me, this trade is so much in our favor that I'd have to do it. However, it would force me to ship some of our defensemen prospects for forwards, meaning this move wouldn't be a single transaction, it'd be the first of a series of moves.

Old
03-23-2011, 02:09 PM
The Bored Warrior
Ted Nolan Hates Me!!

Quote:

In the 2012 offseason we will enter the offseason with 33 million dollars to spend and with new ownership that money will be spent so why not spend it on a solid offensive defenseman. Also the way to fight again top young players such as Myers & Ennis leaving is to sign them this offseason offer Myers a 6yr at 35 million dollar deal that averages out to a 5.83 million dollar cap hit (ahead of Byfuglien's cap number & a little behind what Shea Weber will get.) Offer Ennis a 5yr at 23 million that averages out to 4.6 million dollar cap hit. So a little over 10 million would secure the Sabres their top two players. Also Guys it is time to let the past be the past. As Terry Pegula said the Sabres only reason for existence will be to win the Stanley Cup.

Old
03-23-2011, 02:18 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarwarrior27 View Post
In the 2012 offseason we will enter the offseason with 33 million dollars to spend and with new ownership that money will be spent so why not spend it on a solid offensive defenseman. Also the way to fight again top young players such as Myers & Ennis leaving is to sign them this offseason offer Myers a 6yr at 35 million dollar deal that averages out to a 5.83 million dollar cap hit (ahead of Byfuglien's cap number & a little behind what Shea Weber will get.) Offer Ennis a 5yr at 23 million that averages out to 4.6 million dollar cap hit. So a little over 10 million would secure the Sabres their top two players. Also Guys it is time to let the past be the past. As Terry Pegula said the Sabres only reason for existence will be to win the Stanley Cup.
We already have enough offensive defensemen with Myers, Sekera, Leopold, and Gragnani in the farm. If we're shopping for #2 defensemen, I'd rather go after a player of the Regehr mold.

Old
03-23-2011, 02:21 PM
The Bored Warrior
Ted Nolan Hates Me!!

Quote:
We already have enough offensive defensemen with Myers, Sekera, Leopold, and Gragnani in the farm. If we're shopping for #2 defensemen, I'd rather go after a player of the Regehr mold.
Then please explain why we spent all offseason this yr chasing Tomas Kaberle???

Old
03-23-2011, 04:01 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

because everyone did, boar.. Buffalo though wasn't on the list bc OF the Pegula transfer.

Old
03-23-2011, 04:25 PM
Ghills23

Quote:
It also says that the Devils might send Parise back to the Wild to get him. I think he is available but the price is to high.

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 04:32 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
That article points out two disturbing thoughts that should not be overlooked IMO:

1) Burns' play this season has been wildly erratic and inconsistent;

2) Burns may end up in the $6M/year price range when he hits free agency.

The Sabres have already had their hands full dealing with the up-and-down stretches this season by everyone on their defense corps - so the characterization of Burns' performance isn't exactly confidence-building.

And, with Myers due to get a new contract in the next year, possibly in the $4-6M range, they can't afford to devote the same amount on another defenseman IMO.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 04:34 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
I agree 100% - other than Weber and McNabb, the Sabres have no other physical defensemen in the organization. Adding a veteran like Regehr would help that.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 05:00 PM
fightclubber25

Quote:
only myers can play D too

fightclubber25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 05:33 PM
sabresandcanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
I agree 100% - other than Weber and McNabb, the Sabres have no other physical defensemen in the organization. Adding a veteran like Regehr would help that.
Regehr is much too slow to play in our system.

sabresandcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 05:36 PM
sabresandcanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightclubber25 View Post
only myers can play D too
Burns is no major liability on the back end. In fact, I'd say Myers and Burns play at about the same level in their own zone...both are prone to turn the puck over and make bad pinches.

That said, I do not see Minny moving Burns unless its for a sure fire top three forward. Stafford would not be enough.

sabresandcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 05:51 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresandcanucks View Post
Burns is no major liability on the back end. In fact, I'd say Myers and Burns play at about the same level in their own zone...both are prone to turn the puck over and make bad pinches.

That said, I do not see Minny moving Burns unless its for a sure fire top three forward. Stafford would not be enough.
This. And Burns is better offensively right now ainec. His shot is worlds better than Myers'. That's not to say Myers won't be better than Burns, but Burns is better all around right now. Stafford wouldn't come close to getting him unless their organization had a deep mancrush on Stafford.