HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Hannan

Old
03-23-2011, 10:37 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

vCash: 500
Poti should spend next season mentoring Orlov.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 10:38 AM
txpd

oh...i dont think its a pipedream at all. comments from mcphee indicate that he is sees the need to have more experience on the roster than what they've had.

that said, it will be up to the player to walk. mcphee will handle knuble and arnott like he handled fedorov. as long as they are willing to sign a one year contract, he will keep them as he did fedorov. if they insist on a two year deal, he will let them walk as he did with fedorov.

hannan's situation is effected by poti and possibly schultz. it could be that mcphee decides that with green, carlson and alzner on the d crew and orlov coming that he has to move schultz in order to keep the experience level where he wants it.

i suspect that knuble will take the one year. vogel has said that knuble wants to play another year. year by year makes sense. arnott may be less interested in year by year. if he wants two years, mcphee lets him walk and plugs in eakin.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 10:47 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Poti should spend next season mentoring Orlov.
I believe Orlov's two years away from making the parent club. His offensive skills and shot is not the issue, rather it's his defensive skills. That would work well with the length of Poti's current contract.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 10:50 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
I believe Orlov's two years away from making the parent club. His offensive skills and shot is not the issue, rather it's his defensive skills. That would work well with the length of Poti's current contract.
I think he means in Hershey.

Agree with those curious about Schultz's value. I don't think that contract is particularly attractive but a team that really needs a helpful presence on the PK could bite.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 10:54 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
I think he means in Hershey.

Agree with those curious about Schultz's value. I don't think that contract is particularly attractive but a team that really needs a helpful presence on the PK could bite.
Bingo bango. Send him down.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 10:55 AM
sunnydaycrash

Knuble,Hannan and Laich need to stay, as does Arnott.
Schultz,and Chimera will have to be traded for that to happen.
I'm hoping txpd is right but I digress I'm feeling pretty stoked to see this team in the playoffs.

Last edited by sunnydaycrash: 03-23-2011 at 11:21 AM.
sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:06 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Sign him

Trade him

You know the two players I mean. This is quite simply the easiest decision GMGM should have to make for next year's team. /debate

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:25 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I didn't say it couldn't be done, I am saying it won't be done.

Hannan isn't coming back for the kind of contract being bandied about here. Poti can't be moved because he is damaged goods. Arnott will get a better offer from someone else. McPhee isn't dealing away Schultz 1 year into his deal because he gave him that term for a reason. Do I expect Laich and Knuble to take home team discounts to stay? Yeah but not as big as many around here apparently do. I do expect Chimera to be dealt away but when you add it all up they just can't keep all of the rest.

So yeah, pipe dream...
I'll never understand why people speak in absolutes in regards to decisions they have absolutely no say in.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:36 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
I'll never understand why people speak in absolutes in regards to decisions they have absolutely no say in.
It makes people easier to believe what they say or totally discount their opinion based on their history.... so I like it.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Seriously? Of course what I said was just my opinion. But yeah I think it is an educated one from someone who has been a serious follower of the game for over 30 years.

I'm sorry you didn't like how I framed my opinions of what is going to happen with some of the team this offseason. I know everyone wants to be able to keep all the guys they like and ditch all the guys they don't like and that it seems like a serious no brainer that McPhee should feel the same way and would thus make that happen. But I think we all know McPhee views things a little differently than so many around here do.

This isn't necessarily about what I think should happen but more about what I think will happen. Could I be wrong? Of course but I don't think so. McPhee has a long term plan and I don't think it includes giving all of the UFAs the types of contracts it will take to keep them and I don't think he is going to ditch guys he clearly feels are part of the said plan so he can keep all the UFAs. It isn't that he doesn't want to keep them, it is that when it comes down to it Hannan and Arnott especially are very likely going to get much better offers elsewhere.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 12:53 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Trading Schultz and waiving Sloan should provide ample cap room to sign Hannan, regardless of what happens to Poti.

Sloan will be even more useless next season, since there will be at least two (Orlov and Flemming) additional waiver-exempt defensemen in the minors.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
I didn't say it couldn't be done, I am saying it won't be done.

Hannan isn't coming back for the kind of contract being bandied about here. Poti can't be moved because he is damaged goods. Arnott will get a better offer from someone else. McPhee isn't dealing away Schultz 1 year into his deal because he gave him that term for a reason. Do I expect Laich and Knuble to take home team discounts to stay? Yeah but not as big as many around here apparently do. I do expect Chimera to be dealt away but when you add it all up they just can't keep all of the rest.
I wasn't questioning your hockey knowledge and I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anything you said since I'm waiting to see how each of them handles the playoffs before forming a final opinion, but the bolded words don't suggest opinion. The underlined ones do.

It is fine and dandy to disagree with someone and be very firm in that stance, but to flat out say that something won't be done, like you did in the first sentence, essentially stifles any back and forth that might be had. Either that or it forces the other side to swing to the far opposite end of the spectrum to try to prove why something might actually happen. Simplying adding words such as 'likely' imply a willingness to continue discussion of a subject. At least that's how I interpret the written word.

Old
03-23-2011, 01:14 PM
Roccoman

simply put:

Attachment 44134

click it dammit.

Last edited by Roccoman: 03-25-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:59 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
I wasn't questioning your hockey knowledge and I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anything you said since I'm waiting to see how each of them handles the playoffs before forming a final opinion, but the bolded words don't suggest opinion. The underlined ones do.

It is fine and dandy to disagree with someone and be very firm in that stance, but to flat out say that something won't be done, like you did in the first sentence, essentially stifles any back and forth that might be had. Either that or it forces the other side to swing to the far opposite end of the spectrum to try to prove why something might actually happen. Simplying adding words such as 'likely' imply a willingness to continue discussion of a subject. At least that's how I interpret the written word.
Dude I don't know what to tell you. If I said 'the Caps aren't winning in Ottawa on Friday' and you take that as there is no reason to discuss it then that is fine but it is obviously an opinion. Yes if I frame it like that I clearly feel pretty strongly about my opinion but it is still just that, an opinion and thus up for discussion.

I feel strongly that the Caps are not going to retain all the UFAs that everyone wants them to unless they find out for a fact that Poti is done before July 1 and I don't see that happening.

Old
03-23-2011, 02:12 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Dude I don't know what to tell you. If I said 'the Caps aren't winning in Ottawa on Friday' and you take that as there is no reason to discuss it then that is fine but it is obviously an opinion. Yes if I frame it like that I clearly feel pretty strongly about my opinion but it is still just that, an opinion and thus up for discussion.

I feel strongly that the Caps are not going to retain all the UFAs that everyone wants them to unless they find out for a fact that Poti is done before July 1 and I don't see that happening.
Actually, I wouldn't bother discussing it with you at all. To me it implies closed-mindedness and that any points I raised in disagreement of that opinion would be ignored since your mind is already made up. I feel no need to essentially be talking to a wall.

I'd be much more likely to engage in a discussion that began with "I don't think the Caps will win in Ottawa because X, Y, and Z" since that implies some thought has been given to the situation.

Edit to add: Your second paragraph is a perfect example of what I am referring to. I agree that most of the moves that are being discussed are contingent on Poti's long-term prognosis.

Last edited by Stewie G: 03-24-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old
03-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Roccoman

difference folks / different strokes.

some people argue by making declarative statements, which on some level require you to argue against their "facts"... whereas some folks frame their opinions as just that, and advertise them as such.

it does make discussion a bit harder when someone is stating their opinion as fact but as long as you translate it as pure opinion then its much easier.

btw - i also agree wrt Poti.

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 08:15 AM
CapsCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Trading Schultz and waiving Sloan should provide ample cap room to sign Hannan, regardless of what happens to Poti.

Sloan will be even more useless next season, since there will be at least two (Orlov and Flemming) additional waiver-exempt defensemen in the minors.
This one wins. Well said, I agree wholeheartedly

CapsCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 09:19 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmt1355 View Post
This one wins. Well said, I agree wholeheartedly
Agree, but will also rely on the return of a healthy Tom Poti to the line up, thus:
Hannan/Green
Alzner/Carlson
Poti/Wideman
Erskine

Also by moving Chimera out, his salary (1.8) on top of Laich's curent salary (2.06) should be engough to retain Laich (salary would be in the area of 3.9).

Knuble could be signed for another year hopefully at some reduced rate of what he's currently making and that just leaves Arnott.

Old
03-24-2011, 09:24 AM
Millhaus

Anyone want to make some kind of bet on whether McPhee deals Schultz in the offseason? Obviously I am taking the 'he won't be dealt' position.

Old
03-24-2011, 09:26 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Anyone want to make some kind of bet on whether McPhee deals Schultz in the offseason? Obviously I am taking the 'he won't be dealt' position.
It'll come down to his playoff performance as being the determining factor. If he has another human pylon experience like he did in the Rangers playoff game, that may be the nail in the coffin.

Old
03-24-2011, 09:29 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
It'll come down to his playoff performance as being the determining factor. If he has another human pylon experience like he did in the Rangers playoff game, that may be the nail in the coffin.
So if he gets beat once badly in the playoffs his stint in DC is over in your opinion? Again, care to make it interesting?

Old
03-24-2011, 09:35 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
While that will likely play a big part in it, I think Poti's prognosis plays a large role as well. If Poti is ready to play next season, one would think you could get a much better return from dealing Schultz if they are set on keeping Hannan.

Granted, they aren't exactly the same situation, but McPhee has shown that he is willing to trade players that have recently signed contracts (Flash) and those with term remaining (Clark, Steckel).

Old
03-24-2011, 09:39 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
So if he gets beat once badly in the playoffs his stint in DC is over in your opinion? Again, care to make it interesting?
Obviously a strong performance by the Caps in the playoffs will overshadow player's shortcomings generally speaking. However, when looking across the blue line, Jeff Schultz is considered by many on these boards as the weak sister, so imho he's the vulneralble one. Now of course a lot hinges upon Tom Poti and when and if he recovers from his ailment. But a Poti/Schultz comparison, well Poti wins it, he was the teams best defenseman last season during the PO's before the puck striking him in the face, he uses a long stick so his reach is as good if not better than Schultz and he's more physical/experience/savy with the puck than Schultz. Of course, if it's a no go on Poti's return next season than all bets are off.

Old
03-24-2011, 09:55 AM
Millhaus

I know how Schultz is viewed by many on the boards. If this committee made the decisions he would definitely be moved. But that isn't the case. Poti or not, is anyone willing to put something up with respect to McPhee actually dealing away Schultz?

This isn't about what anyone thinks should happen, it is about what you think will happen.

Old
03-24-2011, 10:15 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
I know how Schultz is viewed by many on the boards. If this committee made the decisions he would definitely be moved. But that isn't the case. Poti or not, is anyone willing to put something up with respect to McPhee actually dealing away Schultz?

This isn't about what anyone thinks should happen, it is about what you think will happen.
Well I know the loyalty factor to the home grown players that came up through Hershey with Boudreau has been discussed. The feeling has been that both GMGM/BB allowed too much of this to play in to their decision making regarding personnel, but I believe that has recently been dispelled with the likes of Flash and Steckel being moved. The past two years, GMGM really has not had a strong base line on defense to do a player comparison with. That's changed this year, both with Carlzner having a full year as well as the additions of Hannan and Wideman. GMGM now can look at these d-men and see where Schultz stacks up. I've said it for a while, I truly believe that Schultz is done developing as a d-man, this is his game and there's not another level to be developed, which I believe is not the case with Mike Green. Green being mentored for a full season by Hannan will raise his game. Schultz's current game is his ceiling. Probably after last season, Schultz may have been at the peak of his value due to his outrageous +/-, but I'm sure some GMs will still be enamored with that.