HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kuhnhackl signs three-year entry level contract

Old
03-23-2011, 08:33 AM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Is he still eligible to play at the WJ next year with Germany or will he be too old?
He could play...but Germany isn't in the WJC next season.

Here are the groups:

GROUP A: Russia, Sweden, Switzerland, Slovakia, Latvia

GROUP B: Canada, United States, Finland, Czech Republic, Denmark

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 08:55 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post

Here are the groups:

Yay for my native Denmark..... talk about a ridiculous draw !

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:03 AM
PensFan101
Forever Champions.

Great to see the Kuhn get an NHL deal but that said I think another year in the OHL would be really good for him. I look at a guy like D'Amigo who had a great post draft year but then struggled hard in the pros, and now hes in the OHL. Patience is key and for a guy who didnt have a great pre draft year then had to transition to the NA game this season, I see no reason to rush him unless he blows everyone away.

Id hate to see him lose all of his confidence if he doesnt translate well to the pros and/or WBS is deep next season... Let him have another year to work on things and come to the pro game that extra year mature and confident.

And he can play in the WJC next season, just the D1 tournament.

PensFan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:33 AM
Burgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solution View Post
I agree with everybody else about Burgs. There is nobody else outside of the Penguins' organization who knows the Penguins' prospects better. Heck, I question if some of them know about these propsects more than Burgs. I just love to get his information and point of view on these guys. Thank you for all of your information over tha past year Burgs. I really appreciate it as do a lot of poster here as well.
Thanks for the kind words but that's some excessive praise. I just compile what I can get from the interwebs. Started this during the lockout when there was nothing else to follow. And once you've collected enough relevant websites it's not that hard to stay up to date. I like to contribute to this board and since I can't watch many actual NHL games I try to cover something else.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:58 AM
Tek_Jansen

Send a message via AIM to Tek_Jansen

Here's an interview I hadn't seen before, its in German but it has subtitles for you guys

This kid is going to be my favorite Penguin as soon as he makes the team I can just tell because he has

A. Great head on his shoulders, really that interview speaks volumes
B. He's German, I love everything German
C. He seems like he's going to be quite the hockey player, maybe won't set the league on fire, but he's going to be good

Only problem is his nickname is going to be similar to Kunitz and they both wear 14

Tek_Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 10:39 AM
FlyingPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Is he still eligible to play at the WJ next year with Germany or will he be too old?
He's eligible, but Germany isn't in the main tournament, they're in the next one down.

FlyingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:25 AM
scokan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
The link in the OP has him at 192 and that's the Pens official site so I'm confident in that number.

I don't think he has anything left to prove in the OHL. He was scoring at a 50 goal pace after his first 10 games and when you consider the OHL season is 68 games that's a huge number.
he had 2 goals after 10 games, i dont think thats anywhere close to 50 goal pace. Regardless this kid is going to be a stud!
He has a ridiculous shot with accuracy, he has great speed, he's big, and likes to be physical, he doesnt shy away from the rough stuff. He got into a fight earlier in the year defending his teammate, he didnt fair to well but atleast he stepped up. Pens fans sit back and enjoy this prospect, he's going to be good!
ps.. send him back to windsor next year!! we need him....
(although i highly doubt it... AHL bound- IMO he's ready)

scokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:35 AM
Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by scokan View Post
he had 2 goals after 10 games, i dont think thats anywhere close to 50 goal pace. Regardless this kid is going to be a stud!
I think you missed what was meant by that

It wasn't about Kühnhackl being on a 50 goal pace by game 10, it was about Kühnhackl being on a 50 goal pace for the games 11 to the end of the regular season. Or in other words, if Kühnhackl had played the first ten games like he did the rest of the season, he would have scored 50 goals.

Sanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:43 AM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson View Post
I think you missed what was meant by that

It wasn't about Kühnhackl being on a 50 goal pace by game 10, it was about Kühnhackl being on a 50 goal pace for the games 11 to the end of the regular season. Or in other words, if Kühnhackl had played the first ten games like he did the rest of the season, he would have scored 50 goals.
If my aunt had been born with testes, she would have been my uncle.

I love Kuhnhackl as a prospect. My point is simply that he hasn't played a full dominant season in Junior yet. He also hasn't been counted upon as the #1 guy on his team for a whole season, starting on Day 1.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:44 AM
WickedWrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by scokan View Post
He has a ridiculous shot with accuracy, he has great speed, he's big, and likes to be physical, he doesnt shy away from the rough stuff. He got into a fight earlier in the year defending his teammate, he didnt fair to well but atleast he stepped up. Pens fans sit back and enjoy this prospect, he's going to be good!
ps.. send him back to windsor next year!! we need him....
(although i highly doubt it... AHL bound- IMO he's ready)
I think he meant his pace after the first 10 games.

Also, since you seem to be a Windsor fan, what are some things that Kuhn could stand to improve on?

In response to the poster who said he had he has persevered "against all odds", I don't necessarily agree with that. I don't want to regurgitate what everyone else has been saying but Yes hes from a non traditional hockey location but he really couldn't have a better father considering where he's from. He's also in a really good situation in Windsor. He's on a pretty good team in Windsor with some really quality players, and is on a line (from what I've heard) with 2 studs Kassian and Khokhlachev. He'll also get a lot of ice time if he returns next year.

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:52 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:

Here are the groups:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPenguin View Post
He's eligible, but Germany isn't in the main tournament, they're in the next one down.
Thanks guys, wasn't sure if they had been sent down or not

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 12:51 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
I love Kuhnhackl as a prospect. My point is simply that he hasn't played a full dominant season in Junior yet. He also hasn't been counted upon as the #1 guy on his team for a whole season, starting on Day 1.
Is this the prerequisite now for developing into an NHL player?

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownFever View Post
No, but it's a good experience that is beneficial to a potential 1st-line player. The opposing argument to mine is that spending more time in junior would not be beneficial to Kuhn, and I don't agree with that.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Jeff Goldblum

Quote:
It's not a prerequisite, but it's the best situation for a prospect.

Jeff Goldblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:00 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Goldblum View Post
It's not a prerequisite, but it's the best situation for a prospect.
Sometimes it is and sometimes it's not. I just don't like it when somebody makes a blanket statement like that. Why does somebody have to be the "go to guy" on their team? It's not like being the "go to guy" is going to be a make or break factor in a kids development. There are players that were go to guys on their team when they were younger that never amount to anything as well. Then there are players that played on good teams that contributed but weren't leaders that went on to be good NHL players.

Either way if he gets put in the AHL it will be because he deserves it.

Old
03-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Sideline

To clarify I did mean from game 11 on he scored at a 50 goal pace. This is also why I don't put much stock in the "needs to dominate junior for a year" argument. It took him 8 or 10 games to figure out how to play in Windsor and he then he dominated. It's not like he was inconsistent over the full season.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:44 PM
wej20

Quote:
To clarify I did mean from game 11 on he scored at a 50 goal pace. This is also why I don't put much stock in the "needs to dominate junior for a year" argument. It took him 8 or 10 games to figure out how to play in Windsor and he then he dominated. It's not like he was inconsistent over the full season.
True but with guys like Ellis and Kassian moving on the situation will be different for him next year as he'll have less support to rely on.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Jeff Goldblum

Quote:
Sometimes it is and sometimes it's not. I just don't like it when somebody makes a blanket statement like that.
It really doesn't lose any truth as a blanket statement though. Every player in the world would benefit in some way from the experience of being the best, be it by working on on-ice weaknesses or by growing as an individual.

Quote:
Why does somebody have to be the "go to guy" on their team?
It's easier to learn how to be a 'go-to guy' in the NHL when you've done it in lower leagues. You want all of your prospects to develop to their full potential, not limit them by saying 'well, he's going to be a secondary player here anyway.' This situation also allows for young players to focus on their weaknesses while still enjoying their strengths. Aside from that, an individual gains confidence, maturity, and leadership by having that responsibility. It prepares prospects both mentally and physically for the professional hockey world.

Quote:
It's not like being the "go to guy" is going to be a make or break factor in a kids development.
That's actually one of the more commonly-cited reasons for a highly-touted prospect busting. Most of the time you hear it as 'they were rushed to the NHL/stuck on the 4th line.' It's the same principle. Learn all you can at a lower level to create the best foundation to build off of at the next level with a big emphasis on ice time. A leadership role is more conducive to learning and growth than a secondary role. That's why we wish Tangradi could play in the AHL playoffs.

Quote:
There are players that were go to guys on their team when they were younger that never amount to anything as well.
Sure there were. This is Junior hockey we're talking about. This is also NHL prospect development we're talking about. Most players don't make it.

Quote:
Then there are players that played on good teams that contributed but weren't leaders that went on to be good NHL players.
This happens as well. Some high-end players develop fine when moving on at a quick rate. David Perron is an example. It's far rarer than you're making it out to be, though.

We're talking about Kuehnhackl making a jump from the second-tier German league to the AHL in one calendar year. That's a huge jump, especially for a guy who took a while to learn the junior game this season. He got to play with some great players this season and that certainly helped him recover from his early struggles. His natural abilities also put him at an advantage over a lot of the pluggers on junior teams. He won't have that same advantage over all others at the AHL level, though. It's a league full of talented individuals. He'll need to earn everything he gets. There are too many other players looking for that same spot.

Quote:
Either way if he gets put in the AHL it will be because he deserves it.
Of course it will. Brayden Schenn got to the NHL this season because he deserved it, too. Nine games played later, LA made the decision that sending him back and letting him dominate his junior competition would be best for his development. I'm certain that same decision will be made for Kuehnhackl.

Old
03-23-2011, 01:50 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Of course it will. Brayden Schenn got to the NHL this season because he deserved it, too. Nine games played later, LA made the decision that sending him back and letting him dominate his junior competition would be best for his development. I'm certain that same decision will be made for Kuehnhackl.
I'm pretty sure Schenn would have played in the AHL if that were an option.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 02:05 PM
Jeff Goldblum

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Schenn would have played in the AHL if that were an option.
Of course he would have. Schenn would have been good enough to be a first line center in the AHL this season. Kuehnhackl would not be a first line winger. You missed my point though. They're not comparable prospects.

The point is that Brayden Schenn, an absolutely elite prospect, was good enough for the NHL in a similar capacity to what we could expect from Kuehnhackl in the AHL, but even he was better served by heading back to Juniors. It is better to be a star in Juniors than to have to battle for ten minutes of ice time in a professional league.

Tom Kuehnhackl is to the AHL as Brayden Schenn is to the NHL. He might be good enough to play in a third or fourth line role, but it would be a mistake to keep him there. Send him to a lower level of competition where he can dominate. Since the ECHL is not the best place to develop prospects, Juniors is the only sensible answer.

Old
03-23-2011, 02:08 PM
wej20

Quote:
Of course he would have. Schenn would have been good enough to be a first line center in the AHL this season. You missed my point though. They're not comparable prospects.

The point is that Brayden Schenn, an absolutely elite prospect, was good enough for the NHL in a similar capacity to what we could expect from Kuehnhackl in the AHL, but even he was better served by heading back to Juniors. It is better to be a star in Juniors than to have to battle for ten minutes of ice time in a professional league.

Tom Kuehnhackl is to the AHL as Brayden Schenn is to the NHL. He might be good enough to play in a third or fourth line role, but it would be a mistake to keep him there. Send him to a lower level of competition where he can dominate. Since the ECHL is not the best place to develop prospects, Juniors is the only sensible answer.
And with another solid year of juniors under his belt he'll be ready to compete for a top 6 spot in WBS in 2012-13.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 02:09 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
It really doesn't lose any truth as a blanket statement though. Every player in the world would benefit in some way from the experience of being the best, be it by working on on-ice weaknesses or by growing as an individual.
Maybe and maybe not. If they are too good for the competition they are facing, then they could also develop bad habits. But being the go to guy has nothing to do with developing as a player. Either you are producing or you aren't. Just because there is somebody better on their team doesn't take away from that.

Quote:
It's easier to learn how to be a 'go-to guy' in the NHL when you've done it in lower leagues. You want all of your prospects to develop to their full potential, not limit them by saying 'well, he's going to be a secondary player here anyway.' This situation also allows for young players to focus on their weaknesses while still enjoying their strengths. Aside from that, an individual gains confidence, maturity, and leadership by having that responsibility. It prepares prospects both mentally and physically for the professional hockey world.
Certainly there are pluses to being a go to guy, I never said otherwise. Will that be a reason why a guy succeeds at the NHL level or not? Maybe and maybe not again. It all depends on the player and the kind of person they are. Maybe, playing devil's advocate, getting added pressure will make the kid feel like he has to do too much and hurt his progression.

Quote:
That's actually one of the more commonly-cited reasons for a highly-touted prospect busting. Most of the time you hear it as 'they were rushed to the NHL/stuck on the 4th line.' It's the same principle. Learn all you can at a lower level to create the best foundation to build off of at the next level with a big emphasis on ice time. A leadership role is more conducive to learning and growth than a secondary role. That's why we wish Tangradi could play in the AHL playoffs.
Who's rushing him into the AHL? It's not me. If he's going to be there, it's because he stands to gain more from playing against greater competition. Who's to say he hasn't learned all he can at that level anyway? Maybe he would benefit more by learning our system and getting taught by our minor league coaches.

Quote:
Sure there were. This is Junior hockey we're talking about. This is also NHL prospect development we're talking about. Most players don't make it.
Just proving a point that being the go to guy doesn't always mean your player turns out better.

Quote:
This happens as well. Some high-end players develop fine when moving on at a quick rate. David Perron is an example. It's far rarer than you're making it out to be, though.
The point is it happens. Again though, I'm not advocating him be moved along faster than he's capable. If he proves he is better than junior hockey, then so be it. I'm certainly not going to send him back there just because he hasn't been a go to guy yet. That's a good way to hold back your prospects as well.

Quote:
We're talking about Kuehnhackl making a jump from the second-tier German league to the AHL in one calendar year. That's a huge jump, especially for a guy who took a while to learn the junior game this season. He got to play with some great players this season and that certainly helped him recover from his early struggles. His natural abilities also put him at an advantage over a lot of the pluggers on junior teams. He won't have that same advantage over all others at the AHL level, though. It's a league full of talented individuals. He'll need to earn everything he gets. There are too many other players looking for that same spot.
Of course he will earn his spot anywhere he goes. I never said he shouldn't.

Quote:
He also didn't have the option to go to the AHL. What I'm certain of is the fact that the Pens will make the best decision for his development. Whether that is back in junior or in the AHL will be determined by how well he plays in camp, not because he needs to be a go to guy somewhere.

Old
03-23-2011, 02:12 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Of course he would have. Schenn would have been good enough to be a first line center in the AHL this season. Kuehnhackl would not be a first line winger. You missed my point though. They're not comparable prospects.

Of course he would be better served to play in junior if he was on the 3rd or 4th line in the AHL, I don't think anybody is arguing that point.

Old
03-23-2011, 02:18 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Yeah...ideally I'd send him back to Windsor for his final year there. That's one difference in the Schenn analogy. Schenncould be returned to his junior team but if The Kuhn is struggling in WBS or gets pushed down due to returning depth...where do you send him? Wheeling? That's like a worst case scenario for a guy like him.

He'll play an even bigger role in Windsor next year, will almost certainly wear a letter all season as well. For as big as people think he's gotten...he can still fill out more...he has the frame. He should be around 205 to 210 lbs in the NHL so why not let him keep doing what he's doing?

Despres was signed and returned and I'm pretty sure that's the plan for TK as well for all the reasons that have been mentioned...that and his ELC wouldn't kick in. So you get him for a little longer in that regard.

I dunno...I guess I just don't see the point in him moving up next summer.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 02:20 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Yeah...ideally I'd send him back to Windsor for his final year there. That's one difference in the Schenn analogy. Schenncould be returned to his junior team but if The Kuhn is struggling in WBS or gets pushed down due to returning depth...where do you send him? Wheeling? That's like a worst case scenario for a guy like him.

He'll play an even bigger role in Windsor next year, will almost certainly wear a letter all season as well. For as big as people think he's gotten...he can still fill out more...he has the frame. He should be around 205 to 210 lbs in the NHL so why not let him keep doing what he's doing?

Despres was signed and returned and I'm pretty sure that's the plan for TK as well for all the reasons that have been mentioned...that and his ELC wouldn't kick in. So you get him for a little longer in that regard.

I dunno...I guess I just don't see the point in him moving up next summer.
The only point to move him up would be because he's shown he deserves to be up.