HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrick Wiercioch

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-23-2011, 01:02 PM
  #101
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!
 
The Waffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Grenville
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,346
vCash: 500
Look at Lee. He looks like an NHL defenseman finally, he's 23 years old. It took him this long, I don't see why some would give up on Weircioch already.

I dunno why some people are already labeling him as a bust. Nobody should have expected him to make the NHL and be in a role that would contribute to the teams success this early.

He's a project, he won't have instant success.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:04 PM
  #102
Brycios
Registered User
 
Brycios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Osgoode
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
Come on X... you should know better. If Jim O'brien is still considered a prospect then Wiercioch can suck monkey balls for a few years before you can really say he's a bust.
Out of context. You didn't even quote the full sentence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post

So do we label him a bust or maybe we give him more time since he is 20 y/o D-man as opposed to Greening, Condra and Smith who are all 23 y/o and more???

Brycios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:06 PM
  #103
German Senator
Registered User
 
German Senator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
I'm pretty happy to hear Wiercioch had a bad game. If the rumours are true that he thought too highly of himself, this should send him back down to earth. I hope he trains really hard and realizes now what his weaknesses are.
He was great at the college. After 2 seasons he signed with Ottawa as a 20 year old and everybody had high expectations for him (me too) and told him he is so good and be a star at the NHL level. Thatīs not easy to handle for an 20 year old. Even Karlsson had to deal with lower expectations. I donīt think Wiercioch is cocky he just was brought into a situation where he had to think that he is the going to guy. As he realized that he isnīt ready to play in the NHL he had a tough time to bounce back. Patrick still has a lot of potential but he needs a bit more time than most people thought. But thatīs ok.

German Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:21 PM
  #104
Holdurbreathe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
If he gets more games he'll get notcieably better per game.

Brian Lee was amazing his first game and it took him 2 more years and a 25 game slump to even find his game. Weircoche is smart and is maybe our most improved prospect the last 2 years, he's only going to gte better and better


What it took was Clueless Clouston to give him a chance.

When I read some of these posts, judging a player's potential on the basis of one game, just incredible.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:41 PM
  #105
DylanSensFan
Walk On!
 
DylanSensFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,515
vCash: 1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post
Look at Lee. He looks like an NHL defenseman finally, he's 23 years old. It took him this long, I don't see why some would give up on Weircioch already.

I dunno why some people are already labeling him as a bust. Nobody should have expected him to make the NHL and be in a role that would contribute to the teams success this early.

He's a project, he won't have instant success.
It is a mob/idiot mentality. People see a second round pick that did well in college and they think that should instantly translate to the NHL.

Meanwhile, Weircioch is still growing into his body and still learning how to use his skills in bigger faster leagues than he was in previously. Eventually he will evolve, but to ask him to step in to the NHL when teams are on the hunt for playoff spots and expect Weircioch to produce right away is simply ludicrous. A lot of people need to get their head out from where it has been firmly planted.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:44 PM
  #106
praisealfie
 
praisealfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5
vCash: 500
Lol@people arguing all the time on here..it's quite funny to read, it really is.

praisealfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 02:10 PM
  #107
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!
 
The Waffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Grenville
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
It is a mob/idiot mentality. People see a second round pick that did well in college and they think that should instantly translate to the NHL.

Meanwhile, Weircioch is still growing into his body and still learning how to use his skills in bigger faster leagues than he was in previously. Eventually he will evolve, but to ask him to step in to the NHL when teams are on the hunt for playoff spots and expect Weircioch to produce right away is simply ludicrous. A lot of people need to get their head out from where it has been firmly planted.
It's really easy to see which of the posters read that KK quote and interpreted it wrong. Not to mention those who are claiming it as thier own opinion. Nobody was saying this stuff before the quote was released.

People here are funny sometimes.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 02:16 PM
  #108
DJB
Sens best prospect
 
DJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,775
vCash: 820
to all those calling him a bust. He's a project, needs to fill out and hit the gym.

He is still a great prospect, but he needs another 2-3 years in the AHL....

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 03:10 PM
  #109
DylanSensFan
Walk On!
 
DylanSensFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,515
vCash: 1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post
It's really easy to see which of the posters read that KK quote and interpreted it wrong. Not to mention those who are claiming it as thier own opinion. Nobody was saying this stuff before the quote was released.

People here are funny sometimes.
I was agreeing with you. Nothing more than that. But yes, people read something and then it is their opinion.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 03:18 PM
  #110
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!
 
The Waffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Grenville
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
I was agreeing with you. Nothing more than that. But yes, people read something and then it is their opinion.
I know I know I was just adding on to what you said about the mob/idiotic mindset that people had


Should have clairified that I wasn't talk about you

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 03:21 PM
  #111
Xspyrit
Registered User
 
Xspyrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Monterrey, Mexico
Country: Italy
Posts: 13,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
Come on X... you should know better. If Jim O'brien is still considered a prospect then Wiercioch can suck monkey balls for a few years before you can really say he's a bust.
That was sarcasm... Just trying new things to bring more reason into people...

How can anyone proclaim that Wiercioch "it seems he doesn't have the mental makeup to be an NHL'er"?

The guy is 20 y/o and just turned pro. He is very tall and hasn't filled up his frame yet. Nothign is possible to tell right now. Only time and PW himself will decide.

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 03:22 PM
  #112
Wondercarrot
Classless
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
I donīt think Wiercioch is cocky he just was brought into a situation where he had to think that he is the going to guy.
not the case, he arrived as a supremely arrogant jerk off who wanted his shoes shined day 1.
After his first training camp i had a conversation where i was told directly that the players took him down about 50 pegs, and that the coaching staff had never seen a guy who was such a huge fan of himself and the subsequent response from the rest of the team was bruuutal.

Hopefully that's all cleared up now.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 03:24 PM
  #113
DylanSensFan
Walk On!
 
DylanSensFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,515
vCash: 1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by koreaboy View Post
one thing that jumps right out at me so far-

he is REALLY passive defensively. he tends to back in on his goalie alot, and he doesnt seem to be quick to jump up defensively to take time and space away from attackers.
I don't think you have any idea about the speed difference between the AHL and the NHL, otherwise you wouldn't be making such hasty comments.

Weircioch is just finding his game in the AHL right now and has confidence rolling, so they wanted to give him a few games in the NHL to see where he's at.

So we have armchair GM's like you making quick judgment's about a player you know nothing about. You have no idea about his top end or how quickly he will develop, so why exactly are you making out like you have any idea. Watch the damn game and let the guy play, get some ice time and evolve.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 03:33 PM
  #114
DylanSensFan
Walk On!
 
DylanSensFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,515
vCash: 1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post
I know I know I was just adding on to what you said about the mob/idiotic mindset that people had


Should have clairified that I wasn't talk about you
Nah, I just didn't read your post properly at first and jumped to conclusions.

by that time it was too late to delete.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 03:47 PM
  #115
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,214
vCash: 87
So what is a realistic ceiling for this guy....Campoli?

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 04:29 PM
  #116
slamigo
Skate or Die!
 
slamigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
not the case, he arrived as a supremely arrogant jerk off who wanted his shoes shined day 1.
After his first training camp i had a conversation where i was told directly that the players took him down about 50 pegs, and that the coaching staff had never seen a guy who was such a huge fan of himself and the subsequent response from the rest of the team was bruuutal.

Hopefully that's all cleared up now.
I'm liking this more and more. Hopefully, he fills out and becomes the next Chris Pronger. Now there is one smug arrogant jerk off.

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 04:45 PM
  #117
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!
 
The Waffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Grenville
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
So what is a realistic ceiling for this guy....Campoli?
I was actually going to use this comparison. I think he that if he turns out, he will be a lot like Campoli. But he's taller and will have the benifit of having a longer reach.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 04:53 PM
  #118
JustinYS
Registered User
 
JustinYS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,262
vCash: 50
Well if he's gonna be like Campoli there isn't so much to be excited about. I know Campoli is good and all but he is not exactly an offensive dynamo.

JustinYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 06:06 PM
  #119
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!
 
The Waffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Grenville
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinYS View Post
Well if he's gonna be like Campoli there isn't so much to be excited about. I know Campoli is good and all but he is not exactly an offensive dynamo.
Campoli is an ideal bottom pairing defenseman. Based on what we have, we don't necessarily need Weircioch to be a top 4 anyways. We'll have Phillips, Karlsson and likely Rundblad and Cowen + we can likely aquire a top 4 sometime in the future.

So it would pretty nice if Weircioch reached Campoli's level.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 06:17 PM
  #120
Manny*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,200
vCash: 500
Wiercioch doesn't play like Campoli at all. Campoli didn't take risks, and never made plays that wowed anybody. He mostly just shot from the point and joined the rush on occasion. Wiercioch has tons of skill and silky smooth hands. I see Wiercioch as a lesser version of Ekman-Larsson. I find their styles are pretty similar.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 07:00 PM
  #121
Tundraman
GoneCountry
 
Tundraman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North
Posts: 5,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
So what is a realistic ceiling for this guy....Campoli?
No!..... Kuba!

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 08:01 PM
  #122
koreaboy
Registered User
 
koreaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
I don't think you have any idea about the speed difference between the AHL and the NHL, otherwise you wouldn't be making such hasty comments.

Weircioch is just finding his game in the AHL right now and has confidence rolling, so they wanted to give him a few games in the NHL to see where he's at.

So we have armchair GM's like you making quick judgment's about a player you know nothing about. You have no idea about his top end or how quickly he will develop, so why exactly are you making out like you have any idea. Watch the damn game and let the guy play, get some ice time and evolve.
people have to stop being defensive and nasty when someone has the temerity to suggest that one of their pet prospects might not be the superstar that they make him out to be. we as fans have to learn to be realistic and objective. we've been told for a long time that this kid was supposedly going to be an awesome defenceman. my reaction to that has always been, ok great, i hope so, but until i see him play i aint buying it.

i watched the kid at rookie camp and in the preseason and he didnt overwhelm me but i didnt pass judgement. we've all heard about his struggles in the AHL but i think we have to be pleased that he seems to have recovered a bit. now we see him last night and for many of us, it's the first time we've seen him in a realistic, live-fire NHL environment.

what i saw made me think that this kid has been overhyped. not that he's a "bust" or that he can't turn into a very good player, but that we have to be realistic and not oversell this kid. he is an intriguing package of size and hockey sense, but what i saw last night makes me think at the very least that he's probably 1-2 years away from being ready. not that he's a bust or that we should write him off, but that all those people pencilling him into our lineup for next year or thinking he's a blue chipper need to temper that.

i'm always amazed when people get nasty when realities like that are pointed out.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 08:03 PM
  #123
DylanSensFan
Walk On!
 
DylanSensFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,515
vCash: 1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
So what is a realistic ceiling for this guy....Campoli?
Campoli right now? Or Campoli at his ceiling.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 08:07 PM
  #124
DylanSensFan
Walk On!
 
DylanSensFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,515
vCash: 1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by koreaboy View Post
people have to stop being defensive and nasty when someone has the temerity to suggest that one of their pet prospects might not be the superstar that they make him out to be.
Actually the only "pet prospects" I have right now are Karlsson and Cowen. I have no expectations of Weircioch, but I'm also not commenting about how well or poorly he is doing. I am letting him go through the growing pains of becoming an NHL player.

I've had a level of expectation for Karlsson since the day he was drafted and he's surpassed everything I thought he was going to be. Cowen has great possibility because of his size, but he is still in the minors right now and I don't expect him to be lights out next season. If Cowen hangs in the bigs from the fall onward and has a relatively successful season defending with a few points here and there I will be happy.

I like Rundblad's possibilities, but I'm not on his bandwagon yet.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 08:11 PM
  #125
DylanSensFan
Walk On!
 
DylanSensFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,515
vCash: 1470
by the way Korea... he was drafted in the 2nd round and so there is no possible way he is a blue chipper. If he was, he would have been drafted in the first round as a sure shot to be a top level NHL player. Yes he's been hyped, but to sell him out as not being a good to fantastic NHL player in the future is a bit silly right now.

Lee has come along after all. Perhaps not the puck moving offensive dynamo he was coined as, but he is becoming a good defender none the less.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. Đ2014 All Rights Reserved.