HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prusek UFA

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2005, 02:09 PM
Skrymir

vCash: 500
Prusek UFA

Prusek UFA Sens want him to sign a 2-way deal.

Last edited by Skrymir: 08-01-2005 at 02:16 PM.
Old
08-01-2005, 11:49 PM
theoil

Just curious but other than the size of his contract are there any issues that don't make him a good backup?

Old
08-02-2005, 01:07 AM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
Just curious but other than the size of his contract are there any issues that don't make him a good backup?
He's had some injury issues, but I frankly I think these are overstated. Prusek comes with great numbers from the Czech league, had a record-setting rookie season in the IHL, and has absolutely stellar numbers as a back-up in Ottawa. In some ways this is a very cruel move by Muckler - Hasek is Prusek's idol, and he's now being forced to take a pay cut and a 2-way deal in order to stay with the team because we need to start getting Ray Emery more ice time. This move leaves Ottawa's goaltending situation in a very strange place... entirely dependent on Hasek's health, and the skills of a quality but extremely tempermental 23yo up-and-comer. I don't think a $750K qualifying offer was excessive for what Prusek brings to the table in terms of insurance... in fact, it's believed that Muckler felt he should have been starting ahead of Lalime last year.

Personally, I think what Muckler is trying to do is get Prusek to commit to a deal that would pay him about $750K, but as a 2-way deal such that the team wouldn't have to pay it in the event that Hasek remains healthy. My guess is that someone will swoop in and nab him almost immediately, but it will depend on just how much Prusek would covet an opportunity to play with Hasek before he retires. As I said, a pretty cruel move by Ottawa, but such is life in the new salary cap era.

Old
08-02-2005, 01:23 AM
Pangu

I don't think the Sens want him. They don't want a guy to leave if he really wants to stay, but they also want Emery learning from Hasek. This is what some call a 'good' problem, but its really a sad problem. 3 unknown commodities. Two youngsters. One that really wants to learn from the master, and one that WE really want to learn from the master. Both have paid their dues. Prusek has paid more dues than Emery, but Emery has more potential. Hard to know what to do.

Old
08-02-2005, 01:24 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote "Two youngsters. One that really wants to learn from the master, and one that WE really want to learn from the master. "

I don't think Prusek can be considered a "youngster"....he will turn 30 in December. Emery is a "youngster" and will turn 23 in September.

Closed Thread