HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official #40 Selection Thread: Michael Sauer

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2005, 12:29 PM
SML

vCash: 500
I like this kid. Alot of athletes in the family, multisport guys... I remember when his Brother was drafted they said he was off the chart on the physical tests... I think he benched 225 like 30 times or something in the time frame. Hopefully the commitment and work ethic carry on moreso than the injury problems. Maybe we keep getting guys like this in the 2nd round b/c its all that is keeping these guys from being taken in the 1st round. Anyway, I like him.

Old
07-31-2005, 09:19 PM
Onion Boy

Sauer is a great pick, though I thought he wasn't going to opt-in this year.

Old
07-31-2005, 09:53 PM
Choice

Sounds not unlike Marc Staal

Old
08-01-2005, 08:12 AM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599
Sauer is a great pick, though I thought he wasn't going to opt-in this year.
I believe the NHL has done away with the "opt-in" option for the NHL draft...I assumed they instituted it for this draft.

Old
08-01-2005, 08:52 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
I really could care less that he dropped. We've made safe picks, by and large, over the past 3 drafts to a certain degree. At some point you need to role the dice on picking a player that has a potential huge upside. We had 3 second rounders. We used one to get a player we had no business thinking was going to fall into our laps with Staal. That left two 2nd rounders. Sauer is another nice, safe selection. Again nothing wrong with that, even though we now have a glut on the backline within the organization's prospect pool. The time was ripe to roll the dice on a player like Latendresse. Especially since he plays a position that we have a weakness in, LW.
Whats the point of rolling the dice, to waste a pick? Obviously if the Rangers traded down when he was available, I would wager that he could be ranked as low as 200 on their list for all that we know. What's a safe pick? Someone that has a better chance of making the NHL with their intangibles than another with a bad attitude or a unfavorable aspect to their game like no hockey sense. It may be just me, but I really like the way the Rangers draft. Everyone has good character and I think the Rangers truly believe they will have gotten 2-3 players each draft that will contribute to the team in some shape or form. I really wouldn't have been happy if we chose Latendresse. It is a fact, if you don't think the player will amount to anything later on you don't spend that pick/or any pick on him regardless how low it is, on him. 44 picks went by with teams who didn't think he was worth it. Also, there may have been another red flag, with his attitude/ something that maybe came out in his interviews/possibly found more incriminating shoulder issues than Cliche etc.

Actually, this is a blessing to me. We have a glut in goal. We have a glut on D. What's bad about that? It just gives us more options in case others fall on their faces. Like the draft as many D as possible, throw 'em against the wall, and see if they stick. Next year we should hope to add a Kessel/Frolik/Mueller and possibly have a glut at forward, lol.

Old
08-01-2005, 09:10 AM
Levitate

Quote:
We've made safe picks, by and large, over the past 3 drafts to a certain degree.
i disagree that they played it safe last year...they took guys like olver and ryan and dubinsky and petruzalek and psurny who have good upside but aren't "safe" picks. maybe they're not as "unsafe" as latandresse but same basic principle...they're skilled players with top 6 upside but have question marks on whether they'll make it

Old
08-01-2005, 09:26 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
i disagree that they played it safe last year...they took guys like olver and ryan and dubinsky and petruzalek and psurny who have good upside but aren't "safe" picks. maybe they're not as "unsafe" as latandresse but same basic principle...they're skilled players with top 6 upside but have question marks on whether they'll make it
Not to mention 99 percent of draft picks are risks. Which makes you wonder why there are even arguments in the first place.

Old
08-01-2005, 07:20 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
When they first made this pick, I was pissed because I wanted Stastny. But after reading the scouting reports on Sauer, it sounds like he would have gone in the first round if not for injuries. My main hope is he recovers well from the two hip surgeries and pans out.

I still wish they had gotten Stastny or Hensick with one of those 2nd rounders. Though Pyatt sounds good and McGuire, who never gives us much credit, was saying it could be the steal of the draft. Let's hope so.

Old
08-01-2005, 07:35 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

I think the Rangers handled the draft wisely.

They are getting core guys, guys who wont carry the team but could contribute. I think what they are looking for is to get the core in place first and then worry about the final piece.

Old
08-01-2005, 07:49 PM
Fletch

Edge...

do you think that with all these defensemen Sather's either recently picked or has in the hopper that Sather is strengthening one histrorically bad area for the Rangers, especially in terms of depth, and we could see a trade, perhaps in a year or two as these guys develop, and could get a decent forward? Obviously if Baranka, Liffiton, Taylor, Tyutin, Drats, Sauer, Staal, etc. actually work out, there isn't enough ice time out there to go around.

Old
08-01-2005, 07:59 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Well I think the Rangers as a whole want to build from the net out. I also think the general feeling is that the Rangers are building a support system. Essentially they are trying to build the foundation, with the belief that they can get the final pieces as a result of the new FA rules.

It makes sense when you think about (though time will tell if it works). You get your defense set, goalies set, get some support players in the place and THEN you add the exclamation points. Either by trading from a position of strength (depth) or by smart free agent signings.

When this team was winning thats what it did and the further it got from that strategy, the worse things got. The difference between now and ten years ago is that if this team is smart they'll get a 27 year old exclamation point instead of a 31 year old.

Old
08-01-2005, 08:04 PM
Fletch

With the new CBA...

that is now possible...or perhaps even younger than 27...

Old
08-01-2005, 09:06 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

yeah i think i'm wrong, isnt it 25?

Old
08-02-2005, 08:12 AM
Fletch

I think so Edge...

7 years + 18 years old = 25; I believe that's the case. Would 27 be the situation currently as the rules phase-in though?

Old
08-02-2005, 08:20 AM
Levitate

I believe it's 7 years of NHL play. so yeah if a player starts in the NHL at 18, played 7 years, then he'd be an UFA at 25. but since most players don't play in the NHL at 18, most of them will be FA's at 27

Old
08-02-2005, 08:37 AM
JR#9*

Reading the reports about Staal make me think that a good comparison would be Braydon Coburn in that they are both tall, lanky d-men who play a sound game and who will be steadying influences while eating up major minutes and I thought it was cool that Coburn was Sauer's d-partner and they formed a great top pair prior to Sauer's injury.

I love the dpeth we're building on D and I agree with Edge that they are stocking the d-men and goalies with top notch talent and they'll address the lack of a top superstar to lead the forwards via UFA with a guy like Thornton or Vinny L.

Old
08-02-2005, 11:52 AM
Barnaby

Yea, that definately seems to be the plan Edge. If you figure they go after a big UFA next year in that 27-28 range, grab a big talent in the next draft like a Frolik, Kessel, Mueller, then if they need more they should have some good young d-men/Goalie to trade if need be or add another UFA.

Old
08-02-2005, 12:28 PM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
Quote:
What's a safe pick?
A safe pick is one that fans and media won't criticize you for.

Closed Thread