HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Mark Scheifele - Barrie Colts, OHL

Old
01-20-2011, 07:24 PM
Alberta tough

vCash: 500
Mark Scheifele - Barrie Colts, OHL

Seems like a riser for the 2011 draft. What can you guys that watch the OHL tell me about him.

Alberta tough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 08:02 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1500
I would also like more about him. Last night was the first time I had seen him play and he looked to be around the puck all night.

@DubFromAbove
@Avs_Tweets
R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Tim Wallach

Admittedly I've only seen him live maybe 5 times this year, but I was quite impressed. He has good size and vision and great hockey sense. A tiny bit of a late-bloomer but he is really blossoming with first line ice time in Barrie.

From what I've seen, his game reminds me a bit of Ryan Johansen. I'm not saying he's at that level yet and he's maybe not as much of a shooter, but similar style moving around the ice. He has the tools to be an NHL impact guy, but it'll be a few years.

Tim Wallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 04:22 PM
Brock
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Admittedly I've only seen him live maybe 5 times this year, but I was quite impressed. He has good size and vision and great hockey sense. A tiny bit of a late-bloomer but he is really blossoming with first line ice time in Barrie.

From what I've seen, his game reminds me a bit of Ryan Johansen. I'm not saying he's at that level yet and he's maybe not as much of a shooter, but similar style moving around the ice. He has the tools to be an NHL impact guy, but it'll be a few years.
Definitely agree. His hockey sense is definitely high and you can tell that because he's one of those players who is always around the puck. He's definitely more of a playmaker and isn't someone who'll wow you with one on one skill, but he reads the play and anticipates things offensively.

With his size he's going to continue to attract attention. Heck, he's still growing into his frame. Once he gets stronger and improves his skating (just average IMO), he'll get even better.

There are some holes in his game and some places that need improvement, but 6'4 centers with his hockey sense don't grow on trees. If he keeps performing as he has this season (and scouts keep coming to Barrie), he could go higher than we're anticipating currently due to the NHL's growing fascination with large centers.

Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 05:17 PM
ikelechien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Definitely agree. His hockey sense is definitely high and you can tell that because he's one of those players who is always around the puck. He's definitely more of a playmaker and isn't someone who'll wow you with one on one skill, but he reads the play and anticipates things offensively.

With his size he's going to continue to attract attention. Heck, he's still growing into his frame. Once he gets stronger and improves his skating (just average IMO), he'll get even better.

There are some holes in his game and some places that need improvement, but 6'4 centers with his hockey sense don't grow on trees. If he keeps performing as he has this season (and scouts keep coming to Barrie), he could go higher than we're anticipating currently due to the NHL's growing fascination with large centers.
Yes, I share that fascination. He was the one guy who I have not seen much of that I really liked a lot. He is the Johansen of 2011, a late bloomer who looks like he will get better and better.

As for the other OHL guys, U got to like Murphy - who can put on a show like him - Subban and maybe Rundblad. Strome, he is the real deal - there is little between him and the top 4.

As for the Dub, count me a Siemens man, I actally prefer him to Freddie's brother. And Morrow, was not expecting to like him as much as I did. RNH was RNH, spectacular as usual.

As for the Q, I am still a Couturier fan - there is a market for big guys with good hands down low who also bring a shutdown defensive presence, a very big market. And the Seadogs guys, Hubie and Bealieu, count me in for both.

ikelechien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:23 PM
wings5

Mark Scheifele will be a riser in the draft, no telling how high but I wouldn't be surprised if he went top 15 maybe top 10 at the end of the year. Great hockey sense and could be this years Ryan Johansen.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Torts

If he wasnt on Barrie, he'd be much higher on every teams list

Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 06:42 PM
Falkrik

The Official Mark Scheifele Thread

I've noticed he's gotten a bunch of points this season, what is upside?
When do you think he will get drafted?

Falkrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 08:06 PM
Falkrik

bump

Old
02-19-2011, 04:08 AM
Falkrik

okay last time, no one at all has any views or opinions on him?

Old
02-19-2011, 11:58 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Definitely a riser throughout this year. I really like him as a player. Has really nice frame and uses it especially along the boards. If he works on his defensive game he can be a really good 2-way player with 2nd line potential, IMO.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 05:18 PM
Madic

Most-likely-futile bump. Anyone at all see this guy play? What's the deal, talent-wise? And does he play with any edge?

Madic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 05:54 PM
MHJS

I watched him play a couple weeks ago and I came away with an impression that he looked like he'd be a good, not great, player. He was pushed around a lot, but like all young guys he needs to get bulk on his frame (which at 6'3" will be solid when he fills out). His stickhandling was very good and I thought his best asset was his vision. I specifically focused on him and he seemed to be constantly finding open space and sneaking away from defenders.

Also, they were playing Kingston and he made Gudbranson absolutely livid the entire game. Gudbranson kept going out of his way to try and destroy him, and at one point failed, took himself out of position and caused the tying goal. Scheifele then scored in the shootout and Barrie won.

Take this with a grain of salt considering I've seen him once, but he looks like a guy that could fit on a 2nd line in the future. I really enjoyed his play.

MHJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 05:57 PM
RangerRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madic View Post
Most-likely-futile bump. Anyone at all see this guy play? What's the deal, talent-wise? And does he play with any edge?
Watched Mark a few times this year.

I think he'll be a good puck possession second line centre. Early in the season, I wasn't impressed with how less than assertive he was in using his size. For the last month, I think he's really found the kind of game that's going to allow him to be a success at the pro level. He's imposing himself on the game more, he's using more force to protect the puck.

RangerRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:10 PM
puckfan13

Reminds me of Marc-Antoine Pouliot. From his frame to his skating. Coming from an Oilers fan, that's not a good thing. Considering he is in line with our second first rounder, he's not really on my wish list. Hope I'm wrong though.

I know some Barrie or Scheifele fan is probably gonna come in here and attack me, but it's just my opinion.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:20 PM
Torts

seean him 4 times this year at Majors Colts games

Best player on Barrie by far

1st rounder for sure

Big, Good skater, offensive upside

Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 10:22 PM
Voga

I have seen him about 5 times this year live and a number on tv and he has really progressed since the start of the year. Excellent vision and could easily have had more points playing on a better team with quality puck moving defenceman. He is a very smart player with very good hands and he works hard every shift. He is also a lot better defensively than his plus minus indicates and plays in all situations. As for projection I think he has first line NHL potential but likely will be a good second line 2 way center. I think he will be in junior at least one more year if not two. I wasn't sure what he would bring at the start of the year but he has surpassed all expectations and I see him being a big part of Canada's U18 team and his performance there could elevate his draft stock even more. He does need to work on his first step and being a bit more physical, finishing checks etc.

Voga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:09 PM
johnnyutah

i would be happy if the leafs took him with one of their picks, from what i'v heard he has a great attitude, comes to the rink smiling, always wanting to get better and make his team mates better.

johnnyutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 07:30 AM
Lazarrr

Reminds me of Nick Foligno

Lazarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 04:01 PM
Deezl

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyutah View Post
i would be happy if the leafs took him with one of their picks, from what i'v heard he has a great attitude, comes to the rink smiling, always wanting to get better and make his team mates better.
I'd love that too if the leafs keep their picks and he is available. He has improved more and more as the season has progressed and one thing i am sure of is he will be a capable NHL player at some capacity or another. Right now i can see him being a very good 3rd liner or a decent 2nd liner. I don't know if he has top line potential yet, but if he keeps improving who knows. Safe pick for late 1st round that could turn into a huge steal.

Deezl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 05:07 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

How about Martin Hanzal as a comparable? Big, puck possession based game and very good in all zones.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 07:09 PM
Voga

That fits but I think he has more offensive potential.

Voga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 01:22 PM
Joey Moss
5-14-6-1

vCash: 815
Mark Scheifele

I've seen a bunch of Mock Drafts that has Edmonton taking him with LA's pick so I'd like to get some information on him..

- Where is he likely to go, is there a chance he slips to 31?
- Hes 6'3, does he have any gritiness?
- Would he be able to play with Hall and Eberle?
- How far along is he in developement? When might he be ready?
- What's his playing style?

Thanks.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 01:52 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

I think hes a lot like Spezza in every way, probably ready by 2012-13 season, he can play with those guys and I think hes gonna be better than some of those players in the top 10. Just isn't there cause hes a rookie in the OHL and isn't very big compared to some of the prospects, very skinny at the moment but will grow out, give him time.

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Joey Moss
5-14-6-1

vCash: 815
Anyone else?

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote