HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

March 24th, Montreal at Boston 7pm ET

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2011, 12:10 AM
usernam

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
I understand that everybody reacts differently to concussions. Do you understand that he saw up close and personal the symptoms of a "severe" concussion and right or wrong made his comments based on the fact that Pacioretty is not suffering any of those symptoms?
Again, you can't compare the symptoms of both players. The severity isn't a matter of opinion. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concussion#Grading_systems. By definition, it's grade III concussion (unless Max Pac was faking being unconscious )

Quote:
Concussion can be associated with a variety of symptoms, which typically occur rapidly after the injury.[15] Early symptoms usually subside within days or weeks.[11] The number and type of symptoms a person suffers varies widely.[14]
For what we know, he might still get the symptoms when he starts training.

Old
03-24-2011, 12:11 AM
SouthernHab
jak się masz

Quote:
I feel the same way about you snake...for a Habs fan, you are pretty good, but you are after all, still a Habs fan

I would expect that sort of reasoning from a teammate, right or wrong. I will say that several B's players (Ference and Bergeron) came out and said that they felt the Paille suspension was warranted and that those types of hits needed to be eliminated even if it was a teammate involved.

To be fair (and objective) Cooke's hit on Savard (or McDonaugh, or Tyutin) and Chara's hit on Pax were two completely different animals, which was why he wasn't suspended. Cooke came from the blindside and targeted the head of a player that didn't know he was there. Chara hit Pax from the side, he knew Chara was there, and Chara did not target the head. The results of Chara's hit was extremely unfortunate and we will never know his intent, but it was a completely different play than Cooke's.

No offense to you Bruin fan but this has been hashed out numerous times on thousands of websites.

Do you really need to do it here?

Old
03-24-2011, 12:12 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMo316 View Post
Again, you can't compare the symptoms of both players. The severity isn't a matter of opinion. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concussion#Grading_systems. By definition, it's grade III concussion (unless Max Pac was faking being unconscious )

Going to bed (really, LOL), but I think Pax was out less than 5 minutes which would mean Grade 2, unless he has the amnesia symptoms as well?

g/n again.

Old
03-24-2011, 12:12 AM
HF-Addict

What GloryDaze has taught me so far...Tweeting proves your injury was not severe, because Savard didn't tweet days after being concussed. In fact, Savard didn't move, didn't talk, barely breathe, ate soup from the nose and shat from his mouth for WEEKS. That's how bad he was, but then, he suddenly felt better and came back for the play-off. Now that's a hero and that was a REAL injury.

Old
03-24-2011, 12:16 AM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMo316 View Post

Seriously, with every that has been said by the Bruins, I wouldn't be surprised that one of the Bruins starts this new accusation tomorrow.

Old
03-24-2011, 12:20 AM
skule123

Quote:
Going to bed (really, LOL), but I think Pax was out less than 5 minutes which would mean Grade 2, unless he has the amnesia symptoms as well?

g/n again.
So by your interpretation, the difference between a grade 2 and grade 3 concussion is what made Recchi accuse the Canadiens medical staff of deliberately misdiagnosing Pacioretty to earn a suspension? I honestly can't figure out what the Bruins are trying to do with their suspension accusations, or how they can't see that maybe they've crossed some fundamental line of sportsmanship.

Old
03-24-2011, 12:24 AM
NBP81

Tomorrow's game is a big one! hope we come out on top! I expect Carey Price to be on a mission after saying we win out the rest of the season! GO HABS GO!

Old
03-24-2011, 12:32 AM
Papa Bear

"Stupid is as stupid does" I guess. Everyone that goes to the Bruins organization (heck, judging by most of the radio hosts, columnists, and even the marketing people at NESN you could say everyone associated with the Bruins) seems to become more and more of a moron by the day.

I know pro hockey players aren't known to be the most intelligent of people, but geez, the Bruins sure do a great job of stockpiling some of the dumbest in the league don't they?

You'd think an organization that has done nothing but choke for the last 40 years would shut up until their play warranted it.

Old
03-24-2011, 12:33 AM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:

g/n again.
His amnesia symptoms were that had absolutely no recollection of the hit itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia article on amnesia
Post-traumatic amnesia is generally due to a head injury (e.g., a fall, a knock on the head). Traumatic amnesia is often transient, but may be permanent of either anterograde, retrograde, or mixed type. The extent of the period covered by the amnesia is related to the degree of injury and may give an indication of the prognosis for recovery of other functions. Mild trauma, such as a car accident that results in no more than mild whiplash, might cause the occupant of a car to have no memory of the moments just before the accident due to a brief interruption in the short/long-term memory transfer mechanism. The sufferer may also lose knowledge of who people are.
Regardless, there is no consensus on grading scales. Some might say it's a grade 2. Others a grade 3. But still, it's pretty borderline but severe if we use the grading systems.

Last edited by Madam Kadri: 03-24-2011 at 12:46 AM.
Old
03-24-2011, 12:33 AM
NBP81

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab junkie View Post
Can our d purposely aim slap shots at Chara's face and then blame it on the puck if it connects?
haha! Just dont do it in our zone. That punk is so tall if they miss him we'll get a delay of game...

Old
03-24-2011, 12:37 AM
usernam

Quote:

g/n again.
You're probably sleeping .

But the 5 minutes is a rule of thumb. If he's unconscious for 4 minutes 54 seconds, it still counts as grade III. Anyways, it could be any loss of consciousness, doesn't even have to be 5 minutes. Good night man, have fun tomorrow.

Old
03-24-2011, 12:45 AM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Anyway, the medical community apparently doesn't use the grading scale any more to diagnose the severity of the concussion.

http://www.suite101.com/content/seve...hletes-a126381

http://www.cdc.gov/concussion/signs_symptoms.html

However, even if Pacioretty has not had major physical impairments(sensitivity to light, motor skills all messed up) like Savard and Bergeron did, he still might not be "there" mentally or emotionally, or he has odd sleep patterns.

Old
03-24-2011, 12:52 AM
merano

Even to attempt to question Dr Muldar's integrity is a travesty!

BRUINS give BULLIES a bad name!

HABS 4 RUINS 1

Old
03-24-2011, 01:07 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Okay so based on everything we read....and since the diagnosis was given immediately after the injury....isn't it possible that the Grade 3 was given based on how many minutes he was unconscious....and not on how big the symptoms were since evidently, the diagnosis was given earlier than they had chances to verify how tough his symptoms were?

So it's a grade 3 as far as immediate impact and how many minutes he was out....but that ended up less severe as far as symptoms are concerned? Maybe we should ask Dr. Reechi....Can't wait to see how he'll turn up once his hockey career is done....Boston will certainly have a new doc in town!

Old
03-24-2011, 01:07 AM
merano

They should stop showing that hit ad nauseum!
Any parent seeing it is seriously considering if their kid should play / continue to play hockey!
NESN using it as advertising for the game...should be ashamed of themselves!
Silly me...It is part of their culture!

Old
03-24-2011, 01:09 AM
merano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Okay so based on everything we read....and since the diagnosis was given immediately after the injury....isn't it possible that the Grade 3 was given based on how many minutes he was unconscious....and not on how big the symptoms were since evidently, the diagnosis was given earlier than they had chances to verify how tough his symptoms were?

So it's a grade 3 as far as immediate impact and how many minutes he was out....but that ended up less severe as far as symptoms are concerned? Maybe we should ask Dr. Reechi....Can't wait to see how he'll turn up once his hockey career is done....Boston will certainly have a new doc in town!
Jeez do we have to wait to sue Dr Retchie for malpractise!

Old
03-24-2011, 01:10 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I have an itch in my pants. Can Dr. Recchi prescribe something for it ?

Paging Dr. Recchi. Pagging Dr. Recchi.

You mustn't be a certified doctor, because you failed to perform the Heimlich maneuver and your team choked.

I don't think it's a coincidence that throughout his entire career he's been a well respected person until he played for Boston. Now he never keeps mouth shut and feels he should comment on everything.

Guy will probably get inducted into the HHOF and go in as a Bruin.

Old
03-24-2011, 01:21 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by merano View Post
They should stop showing that hit ad nauseum!
Any parent seeing it is seriously considering if their kid should play / continue to play hockey!
NESN using it as advertising for the game...should be ashamed of themselves!
Silly me...It is part of their culture!
Unless some kid is 6'9 and is able to crush my kid against the boards, I think my five year old son will be just fine.

Seriously, if parents considered not signing their kids up, or pulling them out of an on-going season, then stop watching hockey. Incidents like this happen, sometimes not as bad, sometimes even worse. I'll be signing up my kid to hockey and when hitting is involved, I will teach him the rights and wrongs of the game. Then, it's up to him to make his own decisions.

Although I agree, using it as a campaign advertisement is a bit of a slap in the face. I do question their decision, because the NESN crew didn't enjoy the hit during the broadcast and suggested Chara should have let up. The post-game show, they were making fun of fans that were blaming Patches for the hit, and went on to say that the hit wasn't a good one.

Old
03-24-2011, 01:22 AM
merano

Hey Dr Retchie remember the adage LIve by the Sword....

Instant Karma going to get you!

The bigger you are the harder you fall!

As the bell to end the third period rings
One thing will be clear the Bullies will choke
Long after the fat lady (Julien) sings
The HABS will have the last JOKE!

Old
03-24-2011, 01:22 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:

I'm pretty tired of hearing about how guilty all of us B's fans feel as well, which is why we are trying to justify Chara's hit. Not sure why I should feel guilty about something someone else did?
Not sure I agree with that. I don't think Habs fans, at least I don't, care whether B's fans feel guilty for what happened. You guys are fans, why would you see the situation in the shoes of the opposing parties. Same goes for Habs fans. Just like it is unlikely to see a Bruins fan bash/blame Chara for what he did it, it is unlikely to see a Habs fan protect and defend Chara. That's just the way fans are. I don't blame Bruins fans, I blame Chara. What I think bothers Habs fans is the fact that Chara wasn't regarded 'guilty' by the NHL and ultimately in terms of past history by NHL standards, still doesn't have a stain. Not the fans.
For Recchi's comments, again don't expect Bruins fans to feel guilty etc. Bias influences interpretation. We are probably assuming the worst of the situation while you guys are assuming the best. In reality, it'll probably be somewhere in the middle of him bad mouthing the Habs doctors/organization/Pacioretty and not meaning any harm by it/just telling it as it is from experience.

Although I understand why they don't allow it, it's still a shame the Habs don't allow their players to talk about their opponents in any sort of negative connotation. I'd be curious to hear how they feel and the reactions from everyone else to it.

Old
03-24-2011, 01:29 AM
merano

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Unless some kid is 6'9 and is able to crush my kid against the boards, I think my five year old son will be just fine.

Seriously, if parents considered not signing their kids up, or pulling them out of an on-going season, then stop watching hockey. Incidents like this happen, sometimes not as bad, sometimes even worse. I'll be signing up my kid to hockey and when hitting is involved, I will teach him the rights and wrongs of the game. Then, it's up to him to make his own decisions.

Although I agree, using it as a campaign advertisement is a bit of a slap in the face. I do question their decision, because the NESN crew didn't enjoy the hit during the broadcast and suggested Chara should have let up. The post-game show, they were making fun of fans that were blaming Patches for the hit, and went on to say that the hit wasn't a good one.
Parents that I have spoke to are questioning having their kids play hockey and a couple have signed their kids into soccer (summer/winter) for next year! There is a definite perception that hockey is not safe and the NHL must address it. Ironic that Bettman and his cohorts were in Washington DC speaking about violence in hockey the day after the MAX hit!

Old
03-24-2011, 01:31 AM
DamianHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I have an itch in my pants. Can Dr. Recchi prescribe something for it ?

Paging Dr. Recchi. Pagging Dr. Recchi.

You mustn't be a certified doctor, because you failed to perform the Heimlich maneuver and your team choked.

I don't think it's a coincidence that throughout his entire career he's been a well respected person until he played for Boston. Now he never keeps mouth shut and feels he should comment on everything.

Guy will probably get inducted into the HHOF and go in as a Bruin.
Not a chance Recchi is a hall of famer.

I was hoping a Hab would slam his bald dome into the stanchion but I realized that Recchi's wouldn't reach.

Old
03-24-2011, 01:33 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by merano View Post
Parents that I have spoke to are questioning having their kids play hockey and a couple have signed their kids into soccer (summer/winter) for next year! There is a definite perception that hockey is not safe and the NHL must address it. Ironic that Bettman and his cohorts were in Washington DC speaking about violence in hockey the day after the MAX hit!
Great. That's only going to play more into the "Well if ya don't like it, why don'tcha go play some soccah!" mentality.

Old
03-24-2011, 01:40 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianHabs View Post
Not a chance Recchi is a hall of famer.

I was hoping a Hab would slam his bald dome into the stanchion but I realized that Recchi's wouldn't reach.
Regular season
1643 games played.
576 goals.
954 assists.
1530 points.

In the playoffs
164 games played.
56 goals.
77 assists.
133 points.

Appeared in 8 All Star games, winning an MVP in one.
Made the second All Star team twice.
Two time Stanley Cup winner.
His 1992-93 season with the Flyers still holds the franchise's season record for points.

Not a chance, you say? Hate the guy all you want because he's a Bruin, but he's had one hell of a career.

Closed Thread