HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

2011 Injury Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2011, 01:02 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
You missed a part of my point. I feel the 3rd line we had last year was good enough to win a cup, as they certainly weren't the reason we lost at all. Since this year is an upgrade, yes I believe they are good enough. It won't come down to the 3rd line, it will come down to guys like Burrows, Kesler, Raymond, and Samuelsson being able to put up secondary scoring when we need it.

I did check some GDT from last playoffs before posting and it seems like quite often Demitra was up with Kesler and Samuelsson, or even Kesler and Burrows, while Raymond was on the 3rd.

Look at the stats from last post season of some of our main point getters, I think this shows what the problem was.. It wasn't our 3rd line.

Kesler with 1 goal in 12 games
Raymond with 4 points in 12 games
Burrows with 6 points in 12 games
Demitra with 6 points in 11 games
Grabner with 1 point in 9 games

Our secondary scoring dried up to the extent that Wellwood was our best secondary scorer when Samuelsson was up with the twins (as he was for much of last playoffs).
A lot of that goal scoring comes off the cycle. A lot harder to score off the cycle in the playoffs - better defensive teams, play is a lot tighter, players get away with more interference, hooking, etc...

I personally believe the key to get those players scoring in the playoffs is to score in transition.

Old
03-23-2011, 06:40 AM
sticknrink

vCash: 500
The proof is in the pudding with our success and Malhotra's faceoff dominance.

Our PK is insanely better than last year for many reasons, notably that we can keep winning faceoffs.

I think this team is still very good, but I can't help but think if we'd be #1 in the league if we didn't have Malhotra for the year.

Old
03-23-2011, 08:36 AM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel094 View Post
Manny malhotra is a great player but is he worth lossing??? Without malhotra the canucks can fit bieksa and edler under their salary cap.

Edler-bieksa
erhoff-hamhuis
salo-ballard

does anyone know when edler is going to return?
Considering there is no salary cap in the playoffs, this is far from a silver lining. So, no.

Old
03-23-2011, 09:24 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel094 View Post
Manny malhotra is a great player but is he worth lossing??? Without malhotra the canucks can fit bieksa and edler under their salary cap.

Edler-bieksa
erhoff-hamhuis
salo-ballard

does anyone know when edler is going to return?
Edler SHOULD be ready for the start of playoffs, although this is somewhat speculative. If not, he'll be ready soon after. Keep in mind there are no salary cap restrictions in the playoffs, so we could have played with Malhotra, Edler, and Bieksa all in the line up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
A lot of that goal scoring comes off the cycle. A lot harder to score off the cycle in the playoffs - better defensive teams, play is a lot tighter, players get away with more interference, hooking, etc...

I personally believe the key to get those players scoring in the playoffs is to score in transition.
This is true, teams play a much tighter game along the boards in the post season. The Sedins are so damn good at it, so they seem to get by ok, but the 2nd line hasn't been effective trying to cycle along the boards when they're checked so tightly. So ya, I believe you're right.

The good news is our 2nd line is effective off the rush. Both Samuelsson and Kesler have a wicked wrist shot so hopefully they can blow a few by the goalie. I have a feeling Higgins will be up on the 2nd for much of the playoffs, I haven't seen enough of him to comment on how he'd fit if the cycle was taken away.

Hopefully we can make teams pay on the PP in the playoffs, that's once of our strongest suits. How well our secondary scoring components play will easily be just as important, however.

Old
03-23-2011, 09:36 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

In case this hasn't already been said, I think we should thank KHB for giving us his medical opinions and guidance. He's pretty much on the money and was very informative.

Old
03-23-2011, 09:58 AM
cooker24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
In case this hasn't already been said, I think we should thank KHB for giving us his medical opinions and guidance. He's pretty much on the money and was very informative.
Several posters have thanked her for all of her time. It was really great to have an expert medical opinion to provide an explanation on the possibilities. She also answered a lot of questions and the posters always thanked her for doing that. There's no harm in your post thanking her again, though. She was really great to all of us on this board.

Old
03-23-2011, 10:28 AM
HSD19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooker24 View Post
Several posters have thanked her for all of her time. It was really great to have an expert medical opinion to provide an explanation on the possibilities. She also answered a lot of questions and the posters always thanked her for doing that. There's no harm in your post thanking her again, though. She was really great to all of us on this board.
SHE was very informative and her knowledge was very helpful. Yes the point is KHB is a not a dude.

Anyways huge loss for the canucks but the most important thing here is that Malhotra's well being off the ice with his family. Get well Manny.

Old
03-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Big oops there. Didn't even figure out the poster's gender before making a thank you post. My bad.

Old
03-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Placebo Effect

I had a dream that Malhotra wasn't really that bad but the team announced he was out for the year so he could be put on LTIR (league getting suspicious so they make it sound worse) so Edler could come back for the last few games. Then Manny comes back in playoffs sometime after a miracle healing.

I mean Salo's career was in limbo too, right? If only...

But to re-iterate, the team is secondary. First thing is that Manny makes a speedy and, hopefully, complete recovery.

Old
03-23-2011, 12:48 PM
Anodyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by spixel View Post
I had a dream that Malhotra wasn't really that bad but the team announced he was out for the year so he could be put on LTIR (league getting suspicious so they make it sound worse) so Edler could come back for the last few games. Then Manny comes back in playoffs sometime after a miracle healing.
We have the exact same dreams!

Old
03-23-2011, 05:05 PM
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by spixel View Post

I mean Salo's career was in limbo too, right? If only...

But to re-iterate, the team is secondary. First thing is that Manny makes a speedy and, hopefully, complete recovery.
I had a dream once that Ryan Johnson got injured for 2 months, and guess what? He did.

Old
03-23-2011, 07:45 PM
Sakic
Extra B is for BYOBB

Send a message via MSN to Sakic Send a message via Yahoo to Sakic
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swartzwelder View Post
I had a dream once that Ryan Johnson got injured for 2 months, and guess what? He did.
i once had a dream i lost one of my arms in mexico

Old
03-23-2011, 07:56 PM
vancityluongo
weeoo

I had a dream once that Taylor Ellington was the captain of the Canucks and was lifting the Stanley Cup. In terms of never gonna happen, beat that.

Old
03-23-2011, 09:47 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swartzwelder View Post
I just had a dream where Morrison was on the team and scoring in the playoffs.

Old
03-23-2011, 10:12 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

i had a dream where I was the goalie for the Canucks and stop a slap shot from Forsberg.

Old
03-24-2011, 12:21 AM
just22
Registered *****

i had a dream where i was being chased by a masked machete serial killer, and when i was about to die he took off his mask... it was alex bolduc

Old
03-24-2011, 12:31 AM
El Duderino

Old
03-24-2011, 12:43 AM
Maticus

vCash: 1878
I am just wondering what is the status on Edler? Is he skating or doing any off ice training? Sorry if someone already posted his status already.

Old
03-24-2011, 01:13 AM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticus View Post
I am just wondering what is the status on Edler? Is he skating or doing any off ice training? Sorry if someone already posted his status already.
He and Alberts are both skating but not practicing with the team yet.

Old
03-24-2011, 01:17 AM
Maticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
He and Alberts are both skating but not practicing with the team yet.
And both be returning during the 1st round?

Old
03-24-2011, 01:40 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
And both be returning during the 1st round?
Or a little before depending upon how rehab goes.

Old
03-24-2011, 01:46 AM
Maticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Or a little before depending upon how rehab goes.
Thanks! What do you predict the defense line up to be? AV loves Rome, so I see Alberts sitting out or Ballard if he's not playing well in AV standards.

Last edited by Maticus: 03-24-2011 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Misspelled
Old
03-24-2011, 02:30 AM
Stefan It Up

Quote:
Thanks! What do you predict the defense line up to be? AV loves Rome, so I see Alberts sitting out or Ballard if he's not playing well in AV standards.
Hamhuis Bieksa
Salo Ballard
Edler Ehrhoff

Rome Alberts
Tanev

I'll flip if AV plays Rome over Salo or Ballard.

Old
03-24-2011, 02:35 AM
Maticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan It Up View Post
Hamhuis Bieksa
Salo Ballard
Edler Ehrhoff

Rome Alberts
Tanev

Wow, I forgot about Salo! (He's injured to often) I really hope Rome is our 8th defensemen, but I'm pretty sure its going to be Alberts.

Old
03-24-2011, 08:22 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan It Up View Post
Hamhuis Bieksa
Salo Ballard
Edler Ehrhoff

Rome Alberts
Tanev

He wont over Salo, keep in mind AV refered to Salo as our best dman earlier in the season, he'd be eating his words by not playing him.

Closed Thread