HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Hockey News: This Canadiens team has a lot of character

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-22-2011, 05:26 PM
  #26
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Personally I think you have to be pretty darned talented and ambitous to be from another country and play over 1300 games in the NHL. Maybe that's just me.
Hamrlik was a 1st overall pick, my point was with "not-so-sure-things". Anyway, I never said that he's a bad player, I just noted that despite being one of the most veteran players on the team - and the league - he rarely, if ever, gets an A. Hal Gill, Mara, Cammy and Gomez were all fresh on the Habs and they were preferred over him; inexperienced Georges and quiet Plekanec get the A over him too at times.

Maybe he's a quiet lead-by-example type? I never said he's not - so all of you, quit assuming he's a ra-ra leader just because he's a good hockey player. He doesn't get the "A" for a reason.

Markov's my favorite Hab, and I really like Pleks, etc.

I was just quoting a poster who happened to mention 90% North American's in his post and I pointed out why THEY, the North Americans, come to mind immediately: Because they are all cut from the same "for the team" cloth because that's what we're hammered into in all levels of hockey. I'd do anything to get the best players possible on the team, including my favorite defenseman in the NHL, Lidstrom. But after years of cliques and lockeroom trouble Gainey and Gauthier specifically targeted North American players and you see why, despite the injuries, lack of superstar, defensive system and underperforming players the team is doing well.

Sidenote: Nordic peoples speak English very well and are taught it growing up. They can communicate easier than fresh-off-the-boat Czechs, Slovaks, Russians, etc. That DOES factor into their development and performance. Pleks even said that since Kovalev was gone he needed to speak with Andrei constantly to make sure he understands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Yeah, we need more tough North Americans like Scott Gomez, Marc-Andre Bergeron and Mike Cammalleri instead of wasting our time with soft Euro scrubs like Tomas "always the first to arrive to practice" Plekanec or that floater Lars Eller.

God forbid we ever waste our draft pick like the Red Wings do on soft, unambitious Euros like Lidstrom and Zetterberg instead of good, tough North Americans boys like David Fischer.
You bring up 2 underperforming Habs and 1 former scrap-heap signing. What's your point? I'm not Eurobashing, just noting that the previous lockerroom had cliques and issues because it was the Russians vs. the veterans vs. the francos vs. the rookies. This one is almost all North American players and the cohesiveness is evident - and wonderful.

Lidstrom and Zetterberg are elite, Fischer was a huge-risk project - again what's your point? There are less and less Russians in the league every year, and it's because hockey people (GMs, Scouts, Coaches... professionals) don't look at "oh lol he might be like Fedorov so lets draft him" and they look at the mean and the risk associated. Everybody in the organization would've loved to mulligan the Kostitsyn pick because they took a risk and it didn't pan out, North American players are less risky because at the very very least you can communicate with them easier and develop them. They don't need to change everything, move to a new continent, leave their entire families and ride buses in Hamilton for the possibility to get called up.

Again, that wasn't at all what I was getting at. I'd love to trade every North American on this team for elite players like Zetterberg, Datsyuk, the Sedins, Lidstrom, Ovechkin, etc. But in terms of building a team through the draft and signings, there's a reason why the Habs chose more North American players and you can't deny it - there's much more risk attached to those picks and if you're chosing in the 1/2/3 rounds you don't weigh the risk on a bunch of unknown variables. Look at Emelin, Trunev and Korneev - they never came over, a pure waste of a pick. Avstin did, and I hope he does well because I'm really high on him - but that's 1 out of 4 Russian picks. I can only think of one North American prospect that we tried to sign who didn't - Fischer.

WhiskeySeven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 05:32 PM
  #27
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Honeslty I hadn't noticed that and you probably have a point but I could have added Plekanec and Eller to that list. But as much as I want to be very careful with this issue I do believe personally that there is some truth to that. Especially the part about communicating better together, creating a tighter knit group sort of thing. Because although I agree with you that saying North American mentality hockey seems to revolve around character more than it does in Europe it may be more of a cultural difference and the way we as north americans perceive it rather than an actual difference in character. In other words it's a matter of perception based on what your particular cultural background happens to be. (hope that makes sense)

I mean, I could pull you a list of North American players who seem to only be playing for themselves and a paycheck too. And there are countless Euro players in the league that I sure as hell wouldn't want to find myself battling a puck in the corner with. Type-thing. But I see what you mean.
Exactly my point! I have a huge hate-on for Gomez and players who get the money and don't work on their game. Redden comes to mind.

It's not a racist thing, i'd love to have a good European player as much as a good North American -the risk associated with drafting an unknown talent is more for the European player than the North American for a variety of reasons and that's why the Habs drastically reduced their early-round European drafting or have become more eclectic with their choices.

Fischer was a bad pick in any country, for the record.

WhiskeySeven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 05:48 PM
  #28
SergeConstantin74
Always right.
 
SergeConstantin74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,489
vCash: 50
I did it... and that's because I love you all so you should be grateful to have me.

Quote:
We have often depreciated the Canadiens, arguing that they did not have what it takes to be taken seriously in the sturdy world of hockey. True, the Habs are not close to reaching the viciousness of the Philadelphia Flyers in 1975. But do not think the Canadiens are a soulless team. The Habs showed great mental strength this year.

Even if the list of injured players is growing, the team remains focus on obtaining a playoff spot. Its tenacity has begun to emerge last year in the playoffs and it continues this season.

We tend to underestimate the importance of mental preparation in the success of a team. But this year, each of the Canadiens players know what is expected of him and knows his role in the organization. Being mentally tough is knowing yourself and following the plan even if things do not turn out as planned. It is also refusing to impute your failures on bad luck (or the number of injured players). And indeed, the Canadiens managed to avoid feeling sorry for themselves.

The Montreal team, however, has an Achilles heel: its propensity to take a lot of penalties. When the Habs will get on the ice tonight, they'll already have accumulated 327 minor penalties this season, more than any other club, except for the Penguins. A team as fast as the Habs has no reason to break the rules so often to gat an advantage.

And if players manage to understand it, they'll have a real psychological advantage.

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 05:53 PM
  #29
Jee
Moderator
@DeuxiemeJumeau
 
Jee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Ireland
Posts: 19,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Who's the author of this article? The writing is pure garbage...
My first thought reading it... Looks like he wrote a basic high school-ish article and opened a synonyms dictionary only to change a few words here and then to make him look smart.

I know it because that's what I do.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 05:56 PM
  #30
swimmer77
Post Oates
 
swimmer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: in water
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Hamrlik was a 1st overall pick, my point was with "not-so-sure-things". Anyway, I never said that he's a bad player, I just noted that despite being one of the most veteran players on the team - and the league - he rarely, if ever, gets an A. Hal Gill, Mara, Cammy and Gomez were all fresh on the Habs and they were preferred over him; inexperienced Georges and quiet Plekanec get the A over him too at times.

Maybe he's a quiet lead-by-example type? I never said he's not - so all of you, quit assuming he's a ra-ra leader just because he's a good hockey player. He doesn't get the "A" for a reason.

Markov's my favorite Hab, and I really like Pleks, etc.

I was just quoting a poster who happened to mention 90% North American's in his post and I pointed out why THEY, the North Americans, come to mind immediately: Because they are all cut from the same "for the team" cloth because that's what we're hammered into in all levels of hockey. I'd do anything to get the best players possible on the team, including my favorite defenseman in the NHL, Lidstrom. But after years of cliques and lockeroom trouble Gainey and Gauthier specifically targeted North American players and you see why, despite the injuries, lack of superstar, defensive system and underperforming players the team is doing well.

Sidenote: Nordic peoples speak English very well and are taught it growing up. They can communicate easier than fresh-off-the-boat Czechs, Slovaks, Russians, etc. That DOES factor into their development and performance. Pleks even said that since Kovalev was gone he needed to speak with Andrei constantly to make sure he understands.
Hamrlik has worn the "A" with the Habs and elsewhere.

What's the obsession with the "A"?

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 06:19 PM
  #31
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Hamrlik has worn the "A" with the Habs and elsewhere.

What's the obsession with the "A"?
What obsession? Read my post and quit nit-picking. He has worn the A maybe five times, tops, in his entire career with the Habs.

I made a point, all you fanboys took it as an anti-euro biased insult when it really wasn't and when I responded, clearly and succinctly, you change the goalposts.

WhiskeySeven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 06:25 PM
  #32
swimmer77
Post Oates
 
swimmer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: in water
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Literally all but one of the players you mentioned are North American. Also, the one Euro, Hamrlik, has never demonstrated any leadership abilities and very rarely gotten an A, despite playing really well in Markov's absence and his veterancy.

So basically: we draft talented north Americans, acquire talented north Americans and be lead by talented north Americans... And suddeny the team has grit, character and tenacity?

Colour me surprised.

I'm not a eurobasher but something has to be said about cohesiveness and the fact that a lot of the team can communicate together. And as much as I'd love to have Adam Larrson or another top5 pick, for the not-so-guaranteed players, I'd prefer north Americans with talent and ambition.
Based on what? The "A"?

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 07:47 PM
  #33
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,196
vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I use google translate to read it. I'm looking forward to the newspaper version so I don't have to read the lol tastic translation.
Its probably better after being google translated to english anyways.

Trust me, this article is bad. A 12 year old could have written this pos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee
My first thought reading it... Looks like he wrote a basic high school-ish article and opened a synonyms dictionary only to change a few words here and then to make him look smart.

I know it because that's what I do.
Yeah pretty much

The poor punctuation and simplistic flow of ideas makes me cringe.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 07:50 PM
  #34
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Country: United States
Posts: 7,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Its probably better after being google translated to english anyways.

Trust me, this article is bad. A 12 year old could have written that article...
But if it was originally in the Hockey News, wouldn't it originally be in English and wouldn't the version that was posted from Journal Montreal be a translation, which might be the reason why it blows?

I'm not making excuses, I thought it was funny to read myself but the translation aspect might be the reason.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 07:56 PM
  #35
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,196
vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
But if it was originally in the Hockey News, wouldn't it originally be in English and wouldn't the version that was posted from Journal Montreal be a translation, which might be the reason why it blows?

I'm not making excuses, I thought it was funny to read myself but the translation aspect might be the reason.
This would make a lot of sense since the article basically has an english structure that just doesn't look good at all in french (I have nothing against english. french text structure looks awful in english too).

In that case its mostly an issue of bad translation, which is also why the word ''pugnacity'' was used. Burke made it an hockey term but its probably the second time I've ever heard it in french. The translator should have taken more liberties and modified sentence structure.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:46 PM
  #36
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Based on what? The "A"?
Do you really want to nitpick on my Hamrlik point or the general point? I'll keep arguing my point because you're just using derivative, nonconstructive rhetoric.

He rarely gives interviews - this could be a leadership, language and/or personality trait.

He was looked over by management to be an assistant captain several times, despite being the 2nd highest paid D-man (4th highest salary), the most league-wide veteran player on the team and a former 1st overall pick who has been well-traveled - this could be due to his unwillingness to wear an A, his personality (lead-by-example, shy type), language and/or lack of leadership ability.

We do not know what goes on in the lockerroom but as a Habs fan we get tidbits from reporters and Habs players and management. When Gainey named the "leadership core" he didn't include Hamrlik in that list. When Subban described his defensive mentors he brought up Gill specifically, not Hamrlik. When Gauthier mentioned the team core he mentioned Gionta, Gill, Gorges and Cammy (I forget if Gomez was listed, probably was though). Jacques Martin rarely mentions players by name in general but he has very rarely mentioned Hamrlik, if ever. The last time I remember was when Hamr had an extraordinary game early-on in the season - before than was in the playoffs when he didn't call him out by name but did mention how much a certain d-man sucked against Washington. Members of the media, like Arpon Basu and Dave Stubbs, have rarely mentioned Hamrlik's "leadership" abilities either.

So unless you know something I don't, which by your posts and posting history I doubt, just quit while you're ahead. I haven't said he's a bad player and I hope I haven't insulted your precious Czech nationalism. A concentrated North American lockerroom IS more cohesive than a staggered mix of Canadian, Czech, American, Russian, French Canadian, French, Belorussian, Finnish and Slovakian players. If only for the language barrier, but also for the similar styles of play and similar cultural traits.

There are exceptions, notably when it comes to elite players like Lidstrom or Ovechkin but we don't have elite players, we have normal players. With normal players, when you build a team, you look for cohesiveness and character - because the last ten years were terribly inconsistent and incoherent and Gainey/Gauthier knew it was time to change.

So just stop. I'm not a eurobasher, I just don't give credit to Hamrlik's leadership ability when there isn't much to base it on and I'm not in the lockerroom.

WhiskeySeven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:54 PM
  #37
FF de Mars
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 42 rue Fontaine
Country: Martinique
Posts: 7,052
vCash: 50
Funny timing to publish this article, after that loss to Buffalo, but I agree. I'm impressed. Normally, and even tonight, they play until the end. I remember, in the late 90s and early 2000s, the Habs would give up on games. It was very depressing. Nowadays, whatever the score, they'll still play.

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 11:12 PM
  #38
swimmer77
Post Oates
 
swimmer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: in water
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Do you really want to nitpick on my Hamrlik point or the general point? I'll keep arguing my point because you're just using derivative, nonconstructive rhetoric.

He rarely gives interviews - this could be a leadership, language and/or personality trait.

He was looked over by management to be an assistant captain several times, despite being the 2nd highest paid D-man (4th highest salary), the most league-wide veteran player on the team and a former 1st overall pick who has been well-traveled - this could be due to his unwillingness to wear an A, his personality (lead-by-example, shy type), language and/or lack of leadership ability.

We do not know what goes on in the lockerroom but as a Habs fan we get tidbits from reporters and Habs players and management. When Gainey named the "leadership core" he didn't include Hamrlik in that list. When Subban described his defensive mentors he brought up Gill specifically, not Hamrlik. When Gauthier mentioned the team core he mentioned Gionta, Gill, Gorges and Cammy (I forget if Gomez was listed, probably was though). Jacques Martin rarely mentions players by name in general but he has very rarely mentioned Hamrlik, if ever. The last time I remember was when Hamr had an extraordinary game early-on in the season - before than was in the playoffs when he didn't call him out by name but did mention how much a certain d-man sucked against Washington. Members of the media, like Arpon Basu and Dave Stubbs, have rarely mentioned Hamrlik's "leadership" abilities either.

So unless you know something I don't, which by your posts and posting history I doubt, just quit while you're ahead. I haven't said he's a bad player and I hope I haven't insulted your precious Czech nationalism. A concentrated North American lockerroom IS more cohesive than a staggered mix of Canadian, Czech, American, Russian, French Canadian, French, Belorussian, Finnish and Slovakian players. If only for the language barrier, but also for the similar styles of play and similar cultural traits.

There are exceptions, notably when it comes to elite players like Lidstrom or Ovechkin but we don't have elite players, we have normal players. With normal players, when you build a team, you look for cohesiveness and character - because the last ten years were terribly inconsistent and incoherent and Gainey/Gauthier knew it was time to change.

So just stop. I'm not a eurobasher, I just don't give credit to Hamrlik's leadership ability when there isn't much to base it on and I'm not in the lockerroom.
That sentence makes no sense.

If I'd point out Hamrlik's leadership qualities with proof but you'd choose to ignore it anyway because you already have in regards to being an alternate captain.

The sentence in your non-eurobashing that makes the most sense is "So just stop." I will because you're ignoring any points anyway while denying what you really are.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 12:56 AM
  #39
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
That sentence makes no sense.

If I'd point out Hamrlik's leadership qualities with proof but you'd choose to ignore it anyway because you already have in regards to being an alternate captain.

The sentence in your non-eurobashing that makes the most sense is "So just stop." I will because you're ignoring any points anyway while denying what you really are.
Respond to my posts, don't non-respond with silly rhetoric. You haven't made a single point or offered a single argument, idea or counter-thought in any of your posts in this thread.

The sentence isn't properly written but I meant that Jacques Martin doesn't mention players by name often, especially not in a negative sense. He does commend positive performances once in a while but very rarely has he mentioned Hamrlik nor his "leadership abilities". I've heard JM mention Gill, Gorges, Gionta and even Markov in terms of leadership - but never Hamrlik. So that's Gainey, Gauthier and Jacques Martin who haven't considered Hamrlik part of the "leadership core".

Get off it, if you can't respond then you got owned. If you can, then by all means, do so.

BUT ALL OF THAT IS BESIDES THE POINT.

This thread isn't about Hamrlik. It's about how an organization can pull it together and rebuild properly and with gradual, constant improvement if they have a plan.

BG/PG drafted more and more North Americans, they re-invented the backroom, the off-ice members and the on-ice members with an almost 100% turnover rate. They instilled discipline and accountability in the locker room by hiring one of the most boring, strictest and most professional coaches in the game. I have my on-ice thoughts about the man but Jacques Martin knows how to handle the stress of the media and doesn't appear to get phased by anything. It's mental toughness and it's very hard to instill on a team of 20 young men.

BG/PG focused more and more on developing a core to build around and add to. It hasn't worked to 100% (see: Gomez, Spacek, AKost who are not/should not be considered part of the core but still have vital roles/salary) but Cammy and Gionta have been renown for their fitness and professionalism, even before we got them. Gill was a well-traveled champion veteran who came cheap and just off of a giant cup victory. Moen is another professional former champion, he hasn't been all that effective here but there are other factors there.

The boils down to how you build a team and this team is built on professionalism, mental tenacity and cohesiveness. Almost the exact opposite of the no-system, dipsy doodle hockey of the Koivu/Kovalev era and the "let's throw **** at a wall and see what sticks" of the Jan Bulis era (as I like to call it).

So cheers for Gainey, Gauthier and Timmins. They took the hard road and it's paying off... slowly but it's the only right way to build a team. Detroit did it over ten years, and have been feeding off the successes for another ten years. New Jersey did it over about nine years and have also been a perennial "elite" team since then. It's for a reason... it goes all the way from the ice-scrapers to the president and it takes a damn long time. We're still rebuilding but there's a reason this very lowly talented team, with a seven goal 2nd line centre is 6th in the conference.

WhiskeySeven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 10:15 AM
  #40
Et le But
Registered User
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 18,481
vCash: 500
I think Martin giving Hamrlik ice time against the best players night in and night out says more about what he thinks his role is on the team is than what Martin says in interviews or that fact that he doesn't have an "A".

You make a good point about the club having an identity and trying to draft players with certain character traits, but then you derailed it with that North American garbage. The club drafts mostly North Americans because the club has always drafted mostly North Americans, it's what the scouts feel more comfortable with.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 10:20 AM
  #41
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I think Martin giving Hamrlik ice time against the best players night in and night out says more about what he thinks his role is on the team is than what Martin says in interviews or that fact that he doesn't have an "A".

You make a good point about the club having an identity and trying to draft players with certain character traits, but then you derailed it with that North American garbage. The club drafts mostly North Americans because the club has always drafted mostly North Americans, it's what the scouts feel more comfortable with.
Hamrlik is a more quiet leader than guy like Gio Gomez Cammy Gill etc If he was on a team full of kids and he didn't have a C or A on his jersey I'd be concerned, but the Habs have a ton of guys you can put letters on based on type of players/people they are...Gio Cammy Pleks Markov Gill Gorges Gomez(despite crappy year) Halpern Hamrlik.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 10:26 AM
  #42
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Country: United States
Posts: 7,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
The club drafts mostly North Americans because the club has always drafted mostly North Americans, it's what the scouts feel more comfortable with.
I disagree, I think they draft mostly North Americans because there are more North American prospects than european prospects.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 08:16 PM
  #43
swimmer77
Post Oates
 
swimmer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: in water
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Literally all but one of the players you mentioned are North American. Also, the one Euro, Hamrlik, has never demonstrated any leadership abilities and very rarely gotten an A, despite playing really well in Markov's absence and his veterancy.

So basically: we draft talented north Americans, acquire talented north Americans and be lead by talented north Americans... And suddeny the team has grit, character and tenacity?

Colour me surprised.

I'm not a eurobasher but something has to be said about cohesiveness and the fact that a lot of the team can communicate together. And as much as I'd love to have Adam Larrson or another top5 pick, for the not-so-guaranteed players, I'd prefer north Americans with talent and ambition.
I've read your elongated posts and what is in bold is what I took issue with from the very beginning. I'm not sure what else to say. You posted these comments, right? In bold your claim is that Hamrlik "has never demonstrated any leadership abilities", right?

You challenged me to provide proof although what I see on the ice is proof enough for me without reading about it from Dave Stubbs, Arpon Basu or your other chosen writers. But nonetheless here it goes.

The following link has quoted material from Josh Gorges, who is considered to be one of your North American "leaders". And I don't doubt the leadership or character of Josh Gorges - not for a second. But do you think it's possible, based on his quote, that he learned something from Hamrlik? Whether he did or didn't he describes a leadership quality in Hamrlik - something you claim Hamrlik has no trace of whatsoever. There are more articles. I tried to choose something from a few years ago when Hamrlik was a relative newcomer, and it's from a teammate.

Hamrlik Back from Blocked Shot

This link leads to an article by one of your "specified" writers and is very recent. The attitude hasn't changed much in regards to the player - Hamrlik is a quiet leader.

Hamrlik = Quiet Leader

You've never heard the coach speak of Hamrlik? He has before and did so recently. The video is at numerous outlets. I don't have the know how or energy to post the link but I sense it wouldn't much matter anyway.

Yes, I'm a Hamrlik fan. I tend to root for the underdog and cheer for the quiet guys who don't crave attention but go about their business with a professionalism - something you yourself mentioned in one of your posts and something Martin makes reference to when describing Hamrlik.

I don't disagree at all about your general point. I truly believe Gainey wanted to change the "culture" of the team. I don't agree with how you've gone about debating your point. I believe that Gainey, Gauthier and company realize that with the Montreal media, city life and transformation of social media and the internet in general, it takes a special "character" to be a part of the Habs. Where that "character" comes from or the color of the skin is of lesser importance because it's the "character" they are after in the long run. JMHO.

Again, you described Hamrlik as such - "has never demonstrated any leadership abilities". I disagree without question. You describe the team as one that - "suddeny the team has grit, character and tenacity" and you seemingly attibute it to North Americans only. I won't dispute the ratio has changed but I sure as heck won't demean or short change what the present day Hab-Euros have contributed to date. Look at the minutes and look at the stats - this team would be lost without those players too.

Hamrlik has been a soldier - he leads the team in minutes, has missed few games, has not complained, has deflected credit to his teammates, has shouldered responsibility, has taken responsibility for poor play, has dropped the gloves despite being a non-fighter, lifted Pacioretty onto a gurney, has blocked a million shots, scored points, has stood up for his teammates, been a plus player, mentored his younger teammates, complimented and supported his coaches, has expressed a desire to take a pay cut to stay in Montreal, complimented the fans and city. Just what else do you want in leadership? Because a player doesn't where an "A", which Hamrlik has with more than one team, hasn't been named an "official" member of the leadership core, or crave media attention - it doesn't mean that player has zero leadership qualities which is what you implied.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 08:31 PM
  #44
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200
 
99GoHabsGo99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Charlottetown,PE
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,747
vCash: 500
they sure do with all these injuries and still in the hunt for the division lead

99GoHabsGo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 01:41 AM
  #45
Avim86
Registered User
 
Avim86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal , Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
I've read your elongated posts and what is in bold is what I took issue with from the very beginning. I'm not sure what else to say. You posted these comments, right? In bold your claim is that Hamrlik "has never demonstrated any leadership abilities", right?

You challenged me to provide proof although what I see on the ice is proof enough for me without reading about it from Dave Stubbs, Arpon Basu or your other chosen writers. But nonetheless here it goes.

The following link has quoted material from Josh Gorges, who is considered to be one of your North American "leaders". And I don't doubt the leadership or character of Josh Gorges - not for a second. But do you think it's possible, based on his quote, that he learned something from Hamrlik? Whether he did or didn't he describes a leadership quality in Hamrlik - something you claim Hamrlik has no trace of whatsoever. There are more articles. I tried to choose something from a few years ago when Hamrlik was a relative newcomer, and it's from a teammate.

Hamrlik Back from Blocked Shot

This link leads to an article by one of your "specified" writers and is very recent. The attitude hasn't changed much in regards to the player - Hamrlik is a quiet leader.

Hamrlik = Quiet Leader

You've never heard the coach speak of Hamrlik? He has before and did so recently. The video is at numerous outlets. I don't have the know how or energy to post the link but I sense it wouldn't much matter anyway.

Yes, I'm a Hamrlik fan. I tend to root for the underdog and cheer for the quiet guys who don't crave attention but go about their business with a professionalism - something you yourself mentioned in one of your posts and something Martin makes reference to when describing Hamrlik.

I don't disagree at all about your general point. I truly believe Gainey wanted to change the "culture" of the team. I don't agree with how you've gone about debating your point. I believe that Gainey, Gauthier and company realize that with the Montreal media, city life and transformation of social media and the internet in general, it takes a special "character" to be a part of the Habs. Where that "character" comes from or the color of the skin is of lesser importance because it's the "character" they are after in the long run. JMHO.

Again, you described Hamrlik as such - "has never demonstrated any leadership abilities". I disagree without question. You describe the team as one that - "suddeny the team has grit, character and tenacity" and you seemingly attibute it to North Americans only. I won't dispute the ratio has changed but I sure as heck won't demean or short change what the present day Hab-Euros have contributed to date. Look at the minutes and look at the stats - this team would be lost without those players too.

Hamrlik has been a soldier - he leads the team in minutes, has missed few games, has not complained, has deflected credit to his teammates, has shouldered responsibility, has taken responsibility for poor play, has dropped the gloves despite being a non-fighter, lifted Pacioretty onto a gurney, has blocked a million shots, scored points, has stood up for his teammates, been a plus player, mentored his younger teammates, complimented and supported his coaches, has expressed a desire to take a pay cut to stay in Montreal, complimented the fans and city. Just what else do you want in leadership? Because a player doesn't where an "A", which Hamrlik has with more than one team, hasn't been named an "official" member of the leadership core, or crave media attention - it doesn't mean that player has zero leadership qualities which is what you implied.
As Charlie Sheen would say this post is Winning. I couldn't have said it better myself , Hamrlik is a great defenseman the kind of guy you want to have on your team until the day he retires. I can honestly put him in the top 20 amongst his era in terms of pure steadiness of play , the kind of stability this guy brings to the bottom 2 pairings is undeniable. It's a given that at this point giving him more then 19-21 min a game would be foolish , but at a reasonable salary (2.0-3.0) 2 year contract + 1 year option , I'd love to see this guy retire a hab , make it happen Pierre.

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 06:02 AM
  #46
ti-vite
Registered User
 
ti-vite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,079
vCash: 500
http://www.ckac.com/hockey/nouvelles...lik-65132.html

Martin, 6 days ago praises Hamrlik.

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.