HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Im interested to see what Sather does this offseason

Old
03-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

vCash: 500
We haven't had an enforcer practically all season long.

Remind me, who pushes this team around?

Nobody . . . . . . . .

Tough teams > Tough individuals

Get Boogey the hell off this roster.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Get Boogey the hell off this roster.
Can he be buried in the A? Nobody else will take on that contract.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 07:36 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sean Avery should not be on the team next season. Torts doesn't trust him defensively and has had enough of the stupid penalties. Dallas is still on the hook for 1/2 the cap hit if Avery is traded. Avery has a NTC in the summer and a limited NTC the rest of the time. He loves NYC but his hockey career has reached its end here with Torts as the HC.

Erik Christensen is an airhead. Save the $925,000.

Between Avery and Christensen,that's nearly $2.9M.

The Rangers will take a cap penalty because of the performance bonuses. $1.4M for Prospal. Rangers have $1,058,984 in space. Outstanding bonuses for some of the other players.

http://www.capgeek.com/tracker/team.php?team=22

Dubinsky-$4M
Callahan-$4M
Boyle-$1.7-$2M
AA-$1.85M. Dubinsky $ in his 2nd contract. Could increase if he approaches/reaches 50 points.
Sauer-$1.5M. Girardi's 2nd contract.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 07:46 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
With the ridiculous amounts of young players this team has been integrating since the lockout I think it's foolish to question whether the "youth movement is real" at this point.
I agree I don't think it's so much a question of the youth movement as it is a question of whether Sather can avoid f***ing up yet again with cap space. I still believe signing Richards is very debatable. I can't imagine him being more than a 50 pt guy in 3 years and with likely another 3 or 4 to go the thought of another 7 mil contract languishing on us really is scary...and if he becomes a concussion machine...I just feel he's going to become a walking injury and soon. If we do sign him I will be extraodinarily excited for next season (likely meaning we get a 4 seed and fail in the first round against Philly, TB or Montreal leading to suicidal dissappointment lol) but though a single bad contract won't destroy a team's future it is just something I'm sick of seeing.

But I guess if you wanna make championship omelets you have to make potentially crippling mistakes. (cough redden drury gomez kotalik cough)

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 08:24 AM
Black Tank

Boogaard is not going to be around long - a fighter with a serious concussion problem simply won't last past the first month of the season.

Avery's time here is done and Christensen just doesn't do enough to secure a spot.

Drury should be bought out. Period.

If McCabe goes, fine, I'd rather stick with Eminger as the "vet" everyone insists we must have. In reality, with the top 4 in place, I'd leave the bottom pairing for some of the guys in CT, like Valentanko, who could be the next Sauer or Girardi, at a very cap friendly hit.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 09:28 AM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
With the ridiculous amounts of young players this team has been integrating since the lockout I think it's foolish to question whether the "youth movement is real" at this point.
Disagree. The Drury and Redden contracts have forced the youth movement. Without those contracts, there would be others and more vets on the club.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 09:31 AM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
As far as Boogaard goes,im in the minority here.I want him on the Team.I love him on the Team.If healthy he does his job well..If concussion lingers to next year im sure they will put him on LTI and get him off the books.
Get that Boogaard Hartford Whale jersey ready. Dumb signing for a useless goon.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 09:34 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Get that Boogaard Hartford Whale jersey ready. Dumb signing for a useless goon.
Proof that Sather has not changed his ways.

03-24-2011, 10:01 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
You realize everybody says this for every player in the league? Apparently every player in the league is so bad at managing their million dollar incomes that they can't afford to send their kids to college if they don't collect on the last year of their contract.

He earned $30 mil over his 4 years with the Rangers... If he lost half of that to taxes & escrow, then he pocketed $15 mil over that time... I believe he was making $5 mil per year his last season or two with Buffalo... He also has a business venture with his pizza restaurant. If getting paid his last $5 mil on the last year of his contract is make or break for "taking care of his family", I'd be shocked.
So? Everyone loves assurance.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:26 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
So? Everyone loves assurance.
My point is that you can't paint every player with the same brush. Not every player is in the same financial situation. I'm sure Naslund has a family but that didn't stop him from walking away from his contract, did it? Drury has made a lot of money here and despite what some people want to believe, I bet there are players who would feel guilty collecting a paycheck when their bodies don't allow them to perform anywhere close to the expectations that their contract demands.... Again, I think he will be bought out but I would not be floored/shocked if he willingly retired.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:43 AM
LamoTheKid

I'd like us to retain McCabe personally.

I'd say we take care of our RFA's, lock up key players, and treat Richards as the third priority.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

If Drury doesn't report to camp can his contract be voided, effectively making him a free agent?

Similar to what would happen with Redden or what happened with Shanahan.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:02 AM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I think this is the plan but there could be a trade we don't see coming

Plan #1 Sign Richards, Sign all RFA's , let Gilroy and all UFA's walk. Keep injecting youth

Plan #2 Sign all RFA's, If they miss out on Richards sign cheaper 1 yr deals with Prospal and McCabe. Again let Gilroy and the rest of the UFA's walk. Keep rolling with youth.
Add to plan #1, Convince Chris Drury to retire so his $$ comes off the cap. add resign prospal, fedotenko, Eminger and McCabe to ONE YEAR DEALS

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Jersey Girl

I'd like any of the Boogaard/enforcer signing fans to state even one game where you said 'if we would have had Boogard dressed that game would have turned out differently'. You have a lot of games to choose from...

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:30 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Scott Gomez 7 years, 51.5M

Donald Brashear 2 years, 2.8M

Darius Kasparaitis 6 years, 27M

Wade Redden 6 years, 39M

Bobby Holik 5 years, 45M

Ales Kotalik 3 years 9M

Derek Boogaard 4 years 6.4M

Chris Drury 5 years 35.25

Markus Naslund 2 years 8M.

I can certainly see why fans are craving for capspace.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:38 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
I'd like any of the Boogaard/enforcer signing fans to state even one game where you said 'if we would have had Boogard dressed that game would have turned out differently'. You have a lot of games to choose from...
Hypothetical question gets a hypothetical answer:

Since Dec 9 (When Boogie got injured) - We are 23-18-3 (0,56 points per game). At the time of his injury - we were 17-12-1 (0,58 points per game).
Very similiar results. In theory you could then say - we potentially lost all 18 games in regulation and 3 in overtime shootouts because Boogey was not there. Not very theoretically likely - but nonetheless mathematically possible (a zillioneth of a procent or something...).

Fact is - we will never know what could have transpired . Because, knowingly, The "What If" universe has just not been discovered....

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:40 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Scott Gomez 7 years, 51.5M

Donald Brashear 2 years, 2.8M

Darius Kasparaitis 6 years, 27M

Wade Redden 6 years, 39M

Bobby Holik 5 years, 45M

Ales Kotalik 3 years 9M

Derek Boogaard 4 years 6.4M

Chris Drury 5 years 35.25

Markus Naslund 2 years 8M.

I can certainly see why fans are craving for capspace.
LOL to be fair Kasparaitis and Holik were signed before the cap, so it was basically monopoly money without the devastating cap effect the other contracts have done to us.

Your point is well taken, though. Same guy is still in charge of handing out the next free agent contract.

Old
03-24-2011, 11:41 AM
ilezia

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I'd take a look at Ville Leino if the Richards thing gets out of hand.
Crossed my mind earlier this season, however, he's bound to get a huge raise given his last years playoff performance + this season. Also, I'm quite scared he wouldn't succeed here as he's only played good with Briere and Hartnell.

ilezia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:43 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Hypothetical question gets a hypothetical answer:

Since Dec 9 (When Boogie got injured) - We are 23-18-3 (0,56 points per game). At the time of his injury - we were 17-12-1 (0,58 points per game).
Very similiar results. In theory you could then say - we potentially lost all 18 games in regulation and 3 in overtime shootouts because Boogey was not there. Not very theoretically likely - but nonetheless mathematically possible (a zillioneth of a procent or something...).

Fact is - we will never know what could have transpired . Because, knowingly, The "What If" universe has just not been discovered....
Lots of semantics in this response...lots of word gymnastics being done to avoid the question. My question is not hypothetical. It's real. Name a game where we needed Boogaard since he's been out.

Old
03-24-2011, 11:50 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
The salary cap has forced the youth movement. Otherwise you'd see every mercenary known to man on this team and still stuck in the "Dark Days"

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:51 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Leave Drury alone for now. If he can help in the playoffs, that's great. He brings a lot to team. We all agree it's not $7MM value but in the playoffs, there's no salary cap.

Drury is not stupid. I'm sure he looks at the team and his own production and he knows the team has moved on. He could agree to be be traded to a team that is not cap stressed and would value his leadership. He could be bought out but I think that is unlikely. He could be traded to a team for the sole purpose of being bought out (i.e. Calgary, Anaheim) In either case the Rangers would probably take back bad contracts that they would have to bury in the minors or Europe. Remember Brashear & Rissmiller for White? Look for that kind of trade. Or he may just retire. But I doubt that.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 12:39 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Lots of semantics in this response...lots of word gymnastics being done to avoid the question. My question is not hypothetical. It's real. Name a game where we needed Boogaard since he's been out.
We have needed somebody in 23 losses we have amassed in this time period. Like you - i am not sure that somebody is the Boogeyman. But we will never know - therefore i kinda have a distaste for this hypothetical speculation. And i am btw no big Boogeyman proponent but do believe in having a heavyweight enforcer dress for a certain amount of games in the regular season. Not that it might make the biggest difference as the 22 other players on the squad usually have the biggest influence on the team record, correct me if i am wrong...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 01:50 PM
XLJ

Yeah the Boogaard signing was a joke. We are paying 1.6 million to a guy that cant skate. Hopefully he doesn't have a no movement clause so we can bury him in hartford. Heavyweight enforcers are a dying position. I dont think they are needed anymore. Many teams dont have one. We have been fine all year without one. The devils dont have a heavy either.

Wolski is a guy we can trade. If Torts is going to play him around 12 minutes a night, it is not worth keeping him. You can clear up 3.8 million dollars if we trade him in the offseason.

If they dump Boogaard in hartford, trade Wolski & buy out Drury rangers will have plenty of cap room. They can sign all their RFA's and go after Richards.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 02:32 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
LOL to be fair Kasparaitis and Holik were signed before the cap, so it was basically monopoly money without the devastating cap effect the other contracts have done to us.

Your point is well taken, though. Same guy is still in charge of handing out the next free agent contract.
I understand they were signed before the cap. But they do show a pattern of behavior.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 02:47 PM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Proof that Sather has not changed his ways.
How? 3/4ths of the board were wanting a LEGIT heavyweight. Shelley was what 36 and after the Donald Brashear fiasco and him hitting a wall at 37 it made sense to sign a younger guy in Boogard. He didnt work out, and that is proof Sather hasn't changed his ways??

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote