HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Drury returns, he could help Rangers on draws

Old
03-24-2011, 09:49 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
I can sort of see subbing him in for Christensen if he'd been healthy and putting Stepan in Christensen's spot, but you can't just throw Drury into the middle of the playoffs. You can't give him the margin of error to reach game condition in the middle of the postseason. The potential gains are so minimal to begin with that it'd just be nuts.
If the role is to take key draws and possibly kill penalties, you certain can throw Drury into the playoffs.

I don't think he's going to be healthy so this is all moot.

offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Honestly? Zuccarello, Christensen or Wolski. Three guys who are inconsistent and with no shootout in the playoffs are a bit redundant.
yeah ok great idea. talk about over valuing drurys miniscule intangibles and undervaluing those 3. like all they do is contribute in the shootout.

and calling them inconsistent...... well ill give you that drury is atleast very consistent. consistently awful.

lemme get this straight, sit one of those 3 guys with some talent and ability to actually score points for chris freekin drury.

chris drury brings absolutely nothing to this team. nothing. we got all the leadership we need already. the team has a captain. his name is ryan callahan.

adding him to the lineup to play 6 minutes on the 4th line and take defensive zone faceoffs and removing one of those top 9 forwards is sheer unadulterated idiocy.

he should never wear a nyr uni again. retire already for gods sake.

dont become brett favre.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Drury doesn't fit this team.

He has no role on this team
I don't agree with that. If he's healthy, he could at least serve in the same capacity he did on the Olympic Team (penalty killing maestro).

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:00 AM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
They should offer him some job in the organisation next season, so that he can retire and still help the Rangers on and off the ice
I'm almost positive thats why the team was plugging Drury's pizza shop a few months ago. I would think most athletes have some form of insurance for career ending injuries. He most likely needs to keep up a good face in public and I'm sure the Rangers, with the amount of respect the show him, could be playing the game with him in a "you scratch our back, we'll scratch yours." kind of way.

It wouldn't surprise me if he did ride off into the sunset this post season and maybe return down the road in an administrative role with the Whale or NYR.

Like it or not, they paid him and Gomer to lead the team post Jagr and as some point felt what Chris brought to the team was more of what they wanted the kids to emulate then Scott. That $7m contract was a calculated move akin to bringing in a Guru. The coach can only bark so much but having a guy on the inside of the locker room that as a career played the game like Torts wants and has the respect of our young USA born leadership core, well we can now see the results with Cally and Dubi busting ass out there and dragging this team along with them on some nights.

This teams identity, which has been harped on all season, is that of a cumilitive effort over the past 3 years of not only Torts but Drury as well.

I can fully see the Rangers doing whatever they can to help Chris out with whichever direction he goes, out of gratitude from breaking the "Superstar entitlement" attitude this team carried for years. And like I said above. It wouldnt surprise me if he bows out this summer.

just my 2cents.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:06 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I don't agree with that. If he's healthy, he could at least serve in the same capacity he did on the Olympic Team (penalty killing maestro).
The only thing he still does well (meat shield) is the same thing that keeps getting him injured.

I wish there was still a place on this team for Drury, but I cannot think of a single player that deserves to be benched in favor of him. He is just shot, pure and simple. I guess he really paid the price for all those blocked shots after all.

Please just ride off into the sunset. Please.

Revelation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:21 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
We've got solid penalty killers already though.... I wasn't particularly impressed with his PK ability this season... Looks a step slow (like he does at even strength)... I think Drury's better days are way behind him at this point.... He hasn't looked good in any facet of his game other than probably taking draws.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:37 AM
haveandare

This team isn't going to come close to its potential until that contract is off the books. Its not worth having it around to win a few more faceoffs.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:41 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
This team isn't going to come close to its potential until that contract is off the books. Its not worth having it around to win a few more faceoffs.
1) I fail to see how the contract effects this team's potential.

2) So you're ready to trust Sather with capspace? The same guy who handed out this contract?

3) You can't do anything about the contract now, so it's not an either or thing.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:43 AM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

I think I'll bite the bullet on face-offs to not have him in the lineup if that's all he brings to the table, not complaining about the $$$ situation because it's playoff time and that doesn't matter. EC has cooled off and drury has a lot of playoff experience, I could see him playing 4th line c if anything at all.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

Callahan
Fedotenko
Prust
Boyle
Dubi
Can all kill penalties, and block shots just as effectively as drury, if he's going to be put back in the lineup it's going to be for face-offs and experience, his leadership is no longer needed and his offensive abilities are no longer existent.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:04 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Honestly? Zuccarello, Christensen or Wolski. Three guys who are inconsistent and with no shootout in the playoffs are a bit redundant.
That's incredibly short-sighted. It's much more important and of much more value to this team's long-term success to have Zuccarello continue to get NHL experience, and to get some playoff experience. Hell, the same can still be said of Wolski (who just turned 25 last month). And Christensen has simply earned the spot more than Drury has. Certainly not a model of consistency, Christensen has still been a more reliable and productive player than Chris Drury has over the last 2 seasons now, albeit only slightly last year. Drury has 0 goals and 4 assists in 23 games this year. Christensen has 26 points in 55 games. Sure, I wouldn't lose sleep over Drury playing over Christensen, but over Wolski or Zuccarello? I'd definitely be shocked and appalled.

It'd be a big mistake to throw a guy who's struggled as much as Drury has AND hasn't played in months into a playoff series. Take key draws and kill penalties? We have more than enough more than adequate penalty killers. Let Dubinsky take key draws. He's going to continue to get better, and he's got such a desire to win, I have worlds of confidence in him. It's silly to have to TRY to find a role for a guy. If you're LOOKING and hoping to find a role he COULD fill, then he's not a good enough player to crack a playoff team's lineup, in my opinion. Forcing Chris Drury into this lineup and manufacturing a role for him simply because this team is 28th in the league on faceoffs is the wrong way to make roster decisions.

Last edited by Zuccarello Awesome*: 03-24-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:11 AM
WeWillWinTonight

Honestly don't care for Drury anymore, has not brought anything to the team but maybe if he's healthy for playoffs he can step in and take some crucial faceoffs and be a factor.

I prefer him not to be on this team playing, but since he is a good guy and all his experience could be what we need if we do make playoffs?

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:19 AM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCollarBlueBlood View Post
I'm almost positive thats why the team was plugging Drury's pizza shop a few months ago. I would think most athletes have some form of insurance for career ending injuries.
how many pizzas would he need to sell to make 7m?

i think he stays.

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:19 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
That's incredibly short-sighted. It's much more important and of much more value to this team's long-term success to have Zuccarello continue to get NHL experience, and to get some playoff experience. Hell, the same can still be said of Wolski (who just turned 25 last month). And Christensen has simply earned the spot more than Drury has. Certainly not a model of consistency, Christensen has still been a more reliable and productive player than Chris Drury has over the last 2 seasons now, albeit only slightly last year. Drury has 0 goals and 4 assists in 23 games this year. Christensen has 26 points in 55 games. Sure, I wouldn't lose sleep over Drury playing over Christensen, but over Wolski or Zuccarello? I'd definitely be shocked and appalled.
Christensen has been more consistent than Drury over past two years? OK. Christensen was on waivers last year. He's on pace for 29 points this season. That number is worse than Drury last year. Don't see consistency there. Or productive. This season, obviously Drury has played 23 games. Christensen is on pace for the exact same amount of points playing with the teams best scorer. So, no, he's not been more consistent or productive.

Old
03-24-2011, 11:20 AM
Gardner McKay
Niles, Pls.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
That's a big IF

Larry Brooks exchanged text messages with Chris Drury

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1HVcPreGo

Brooks points out the Rangers inability to consistently win face-offs and Drury won 56% of his face-offs in the last 14 games before he went down with his 3rd major injury of this season. The Rangers are 28th overall in face-off %.

No mention in the story when or if Drury will return this season. He wants to return but what is his body telling him.

Sather said on the trade deadline day that Drury was going to miss the rest of this season.

A $7M Guy Carbonneau, Priceless.
$7 million isnt worth tinkering with success for a few faceoffs for a washed up joke. I don't think ive ever seen a player decline as fast as Drury.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:20 AM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

This team desperately needs a reliable faceoff man. I watch a ton of Vancouver games and I truly believe that one of the reasons they are so dominant is because they are so effective in the faceoff circle. Drury's caphit is awful, possibly the worst in the league but this team is weak in the faceoff circle and Drury is our best faceoff man. Anyone that thinks he wouldn't be on this roster if he had a more reasonable cap hit is just being delusional.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:21 AM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

If he was fully healthy I would love to take him back, I just do not know where he would fit to be honest.

The 7Mil is like a sunk cost, you cannot take that into consideration.

But I think a healthy Drury would help us in the playoffs.. faceoffs, PK, leadership, hey maybe even a big goal.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Forget the stats and Drury's decline as the two way guy he once was, how could anyone think the young players would not feel great about having a guy like Drury come back just in time for when play matters most? Are some people looking too much at paper rather than the people again?

Yeah, I guess momentum and emotion mean nothing come playoff time.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:25 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
This team desperately needs a reliable faceoff man. I watch a ton of Vancouver games and I truly believe that one of the reasons they are so dominant is because they are so effective in the faceoff circle. Drury's caphit is awful, possibly the worst in the league but this team is weak in the faceoff circle and Drury is our best faceoff man. Anyone that thinks he wouldn't be on this roster if he had a more reasonable cap hit is just being delusional.
Who do you want him to play with though? He doesn't deserve a lot of playing time and we shouldn't break up any of our lines with chemistry for the sake of getting him out there for a face-off.... His potential impact in the face-off circle is greatly limited by his even strength play and lack of chemistry with other forwards.... If he was more serviceable at even strength it might make sense but right now that's not the case.... Prust/Boyle/Feds line and Dubi/AA/Callahan lines should not be altered and the other 2 lines are not that good defensively do I wouldn't expect them to be out there much during key game situations....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Forget the stats and Drury's decline as the two way guy he once was, how could anyone think the young players would not feel great about having a guy like Drury come back just in time for when play matters most? Are some people looking too much at paper rather than the people again?

Yeah, I guess momentum and emotion mean nothing come playoff time.
He's been absent most of the season, when he's in the line-up, he plays 4th line minutes, his impact is negligible. The younger guys are leading the team now. If they need veteran leadership they can look to Prospal & McCabe.... We absolutely don't need veteran leadership from a player who can't lead out on the ice with his play.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 03-24-2011 at 11:33 AM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:29 AM
Gardner McKay
Niles, Pls.

vCash: 50
Quote:

2) So you're ready to trust Sather with capspace? The same guy who handed out this contract?

3) You can't do anything about the contract now, so it's not an either or thing.
1. 7 million for a guy who has 4 assists in what 24 games this year? Hes being paid the same price as Brad Richards would most LIKELY be paid and yet has 4 points. And Drurys 7 mil could inhibit us from having enough cap space to sign him.

2. Redden was the last bad contract he has handed out. In the last two years what bad contracts has he given? Boogard? 1.65 mil big whoop. Managed to get rid of Gomez, so as long as he can continue to fix his mistakes and turning them into asset, (Higgins, Kotalik for Jokinen and PRUST) and taking Gomez's capspace and using it to sign an elite scorer. Oh not to mention Ryan Mcdonagh.

3. Only thing I agree with.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:30 AM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
we don't desperately need a face off man. look at the stats in the last 2 months - Dubi & Prospal are over 50%. Boyle is around 48%. Stepan is way down at like 37% - that's why Torts doesnt use that line in Dzone face offs.

I would trust Vinny or Dubi to take a draw just as much as Drury.

Old
03-24-2011, 11:31 AM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
$7 million isnt worth tinkering with success for a few faceoffs for a washed up joke. I don't think ive ever seen a player decline as fast as Drury.
did you ever watch Redden?

Old
03-24-2011, 11:31 AM
DoTheBlue
Great Expectations

NO NO NO NO a thousand times NO. Gaining experience down the stretch and in playoff games for the younger players outweigh Drury's intangibles. He wants to help with face-offs he can teach the kids how to win them in practice.

DoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:33 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:

This is such an exaggerated notion. The notion that Sather is some child who just threw money at some nobody. Drury was coming off two near-70-point seasons with 30+ goals in each. Couple that with his reputation of being a clutch playoff performer and an all-around solid player. Most Rangers fans at the time were thrilled that we got him. Most of us thought he was overpayed by about 1.5-2 million at the time, and we all would've been much more okay with that overpayment if he continued to put up 50-60 point seasons. He scored 50+ in his first two with the Rangers. Last year he dropped to 32 and was a noticeably different player. He lost a step. This year, it's just progressed even worse, and the injuries certainly haven't helped.

Not to mention there were other bidders for him willing to give him the same contract or close to it / possibly even a little more than that. We got Scott Gomez on the same day and Gomez actually peformed the way he was expected to. He put up 70 points and then 58 points before we traded him.

Now, the main issue is that Gomez and Drury are not and never were 7.5 and 7 million dollar players, but that IS what their market value was. All free agents are overpaid this way. We happened to get two of them on the same day. And we also happened to give one of them a full NMC. That was a mistake. Sather knows it was a mistake. But if it had worked out and Gomez had some magical chemistry with Jagr and Drury improved upon his seasons in Buffalo and scored 75 points and we won a Stanley Cup, then the overpayment would've been justified. But like 29 other teams each year, we didn't win the cup so all the moves are scrutinized and mistakes are amplified.

Wade Redden is another story. We should've done a better job scouting / watching him and realized that he was never going to be the same player he was in the clutch-and-grab era. It was certainly a mistake, but in Sather's one defense, there were many teams after Redden and Sather did what GMs of most teams WISH their GM would do, and do what it takes to get the targeted player here. If we had did our homework better and targeted Streit, our defense would be arguably the best in the league right now. Staal and Streit, McD and Sauer, Girardi and... anyone. Wow.

Sather has made mistakes, sure. But he's never made a mistake without reason. All those moves were to make us a better team. And it's not as if we gave up promising young players to take risks on these overpaid, overrated veterans. Sather turned Gomez into McD+ and used the cap-space to sign a guy who scored 40+ goals and 80+ points with us last year. He admitted his mistake with Redden and did what was best for the team by burrying him. Drury's final year will likely be bought out if he doesn't retire on his own. I do trust Sather with cap-space. I trust that he knows our need and will do what it takes to get him here. That means Brad Richards. I'd rather have a GM like Sather who takes the chance in free-agency than a guy like Dean Lombardi who talks about their needs but is too afraid to make a big move so he continuously settles on plan C or D. How good would the Kings be if they had signed Kovalchuk? How good would the Kings be if they had signed Gaborik the year before?

Just because some of Sather's free-agency signings (that were mostly applauded at the time of each signing) haven't worked out doesn't mean he's incapable of signing the right players and having them work out. To think otherwise is just naive. This team isn't on a 10-year rebuild plan and they shouldn't be. We HAVE the young core and we have even younger prospects in the pipeline who will be joining that core in the next 1-3 years. It is TIME to make that big impact move that takes us to the next level with the Penguins, Flyers, and Bruins. That move is Brad Richards and Sather is a GM who is going to go after him hard, as he should.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:34 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
1. 7 million for a guy who has 4 assists in what 24 games this year? Hes being paid the same price as Brad Richards would most LIKELY be paid and yet has 4 points.

2. Redden was the last bad contract he has handed out. In the last two years what bad contracts has he given? Boogard? 1.65 mil big whoop. Managed to get rid of Gomez, so as long as he can continue to fix his mistakes and turning them into asset, (Higgins, Kotalik for Jokinen and PRUST) and taking Gomez's capspace and using it to sign an elite scorer. Oh not to mention Ryan Mcdonagh.

3. Only thing I agree with.

1) That doesn't effect the development of this year's team.

2) Redden was the last bad contract? Did you miss Boogaard (3 more years of this guy)? Did you miss Kotalik? Managing to move a bad contract is nice. Not giving it out in the first place is better.