HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Drury returns, he could help Rangers on draws

Old
03-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 500
Who would we sit for Drury right now? People are miffed enough with Avery sitting as it is.

Comparing resumes, Drury is better than Christensen at

PK
Defensive zone coverage
faceoffs

EC is better at

Skating
Scoring (last 2 seasons)
Chemistry on a current line
shootout credentials

03-24-2011, 10:56 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
What do you mean? They have been success's if thats what your asking, well according to your other post Gaborik is an injury ravaged guy not deserving of 7.5 million.
No. What happened to finding talent that is more than a big name? He found Nylander and Straka — not sexy names. But they were effective. Where have moves like those gone?

My point to Gaborik is the thinking was the same. "I have capspace, I'll get a big name FA and hope it works" He paid Gomez for one good season. He paid Drury like an elite offensive player when he never was with the hopes that the seasons in Buffalo were the norm, not the other years. And he threw money at Gaborik when he was an injury concern. It worked the first year. Has he been a 7.5M this season?

03-24-2011, 10:57 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Drury has a lot of tread on his tires. His knee injury is a wear and tear injury. He didn't suffer a specific knee injury which required surgery. All the years playing hockey and baseball have taken a toll on his body. He will be 35 years old this summer. A player in his mid 30s coming off knee surgery usually has tough odds trying to play at a decent level. I'm talking about next season and going forward. Not everyone is Teemu Selanne who has gotten better since having knee surgery during the lockout.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:57 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Who would we sit for Drury right now? People are miffed enough with Avery sitting as it is.

Comparing resumes, Drury is better than Christensen at

PK
Defensive zone coverage
faceoffs

EC is better at

Skating
Scoring (last 2 seasons)
Chemistry on a current line
shootout credentials

EC had fewer points than Drury last year playing with Gaborik. There are no shootouts in the playoffs.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:58 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Sigh, now you're gonna make me look up stats to prove you wrong.

Drury scored 0.41 ppg last season.
Christensen scored 0.53 ppg last season.

This year Christensen has 26 points in 55 games. That's 0.47 ppg.
Drury as you know has 4 points (and 0 goals) in 23 games. That's 0.17 ppg.

So, yes, Christensen has been more consistent AND more productive over the last two years, like I said. I even said in my original post that it was slight, but you simply can't tell me that Drury's been more consistent or productive when he FACTUALLY HAS NOT.
Chris Drury gets points on the power play. When he doesn't play on the power pllay, he isn't going to get many points. Bringing up his production for times when he doesn't play on the power play, is somewhat senseless.

Quote:
Furthermore, you completely ignored my points about Zuccarello and Wolski so I'll just assume you realized how incredibly off-base your comments regarding the two of them were.
Wolski does not have a long-term future with this team. He's incredibly inconsistent. I'd definitely play Drury over him in the playoffs.

Quote:
I get that with all the Drury-hate going around here (some of it warranted and some of it a bit extreme) you may feel the need to stand up for him, but be realistic, at least. There are certainly a number of teams who, should Drury be bought out, would inquire about a 1-2 year deal at 1-1.5 million per year for Drury to play on their 4th line and provide experience, leadership, faceoffs, etc. But I just think the New York Rangers are not one of those teams who would benefit from him.
I'll give you one thing, at least you aren't as off-base here as you were at the start of your previous post when you somehow managed to once again attempt to defend the Drury and Gomez contracts. Still boggles my mind when people try to do that.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:00 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
No. What happened to finding talent that is more than a big name? He found Nylander and Straka not sexy names. But they were effective. Where have moves like those gone?
Here's the rub: they were effective, yes, but they were effective with Jagr. Without him, neither has ever been nearly as good in their careers. Especially not Nylander.

So it wasn't just talent that is more than a big name, because without the big name, they wouldn't have been so special.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:03 AM
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
nWo 4 Life Brother

Send a message via AIM to Hollywood Hulk Hogan
If Drury comes back in the playoffs I think MZA sits. I think it would be between MZA and Wolski to sit and Torts would probably take Wolski because of his size and prior experience. Then, I can see Stepan switched to rw with Drury and Wolski

Hollywood Hulk Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:03 AM
MSG the place to be*

I would love so much to sit with a Drury fanboy and just point out all the moments where Drury displays his uselessness. It literally happens 90% of the time he is in the picture. Misses passes, unnecessary dump-ins, broken cycles. Fun times.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:04 AM
Gardner McKay
Cupcake schedule.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
No. What happened to finding talent that is more than a big name? He found Nylander and Straka — not sexy names. But they were effective. Where have moves like those gone?
Gaborik was a big name. More recently he has trended to TRADING and SIGNING for these no name gems, rather than just signing. Boyle, Prust, Prospal, Mcdonagh (who MTL fans swore was going to be a bust) Personally I think Eminger has been a great signing. Again, Biron as a back up? especially at his salary? I think that was another good one.

All within the past 2 years.

And as for your edit in your post: Gaborik had a Points per game average that drury and gomez could only dream about having. Gaborik clearly was an elite or star talent. Drury and Gomez were being paid on 1 83 point season for Gomez, and 1 30 goal season for Drury.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:09 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
If Drury comes back in the playoffs I think MZA sits. I think it would be between MZA and Wolski to sit and Torts would probably take Wolski because of his size and prior experience. Then, I can see Stepan switched to rw with Drury and Wolski
I'd sit Christensen before those two.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:17 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Absent most of the season? WTF does that have to do with this ? Nothing.
Nothing???? Yeah right... Our rookies have performed quite well without Drury out on the ice with them or on the bench for most of the season.... Remind me again why it's vital that he's needed for "leadership" at this point in time? What exactly is he providing that other players on the roster can't provide?

Quote:
4th line minutes? Ask Philly or Chicago if Blair Betts or Adam Burish were just bystanders during last years playoffs.
That's great but neither of these players are 34 year old Chris Drury who's game as diminished so much that he looks a step behind on the ice.

Old
03-24-2011, 11:27 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Nothing???? Yeah right... Our rookies have performed quite well without Drury out on the ice with them or on the bench for most of the season.... Remind me again why it's vital that he's needed for "leadership" at this point in time?

That's great but neither of these players are 34 year old Chris Drury who's game as diminished so much that he looks a step behind on the ice.
Vital? You said that not me.

And again, you discount the depth he adds, once you do that you lose me, in fact you insult any knowledgeable hockey person when you say to them Chris Drury adds nothing this time of year, even at his age and decline.

Betts and Burish played their few shifts and kept the intensity and effort at a high level while providing depth and leadership.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:27 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Christensen has been very good during our 5 game win streak and even before that. I'd be hard pressed to think that if Drury comes back and EC is playing strong that he'll be the odd man out. He's playing well with Gaborik and Prospal right now and he is one of the better "skilled" players on the team

Zuccarello is important for the future of this team. He's shown he can be a very good player when he gets time and space and he makes plays some people on this team can't make. I seriously doubt Torts would sit him for Drury.

Wolski is the player where I think you can have some ground for putting in Drury for him. He might be the most skilled out of the other 2 players at this point, but, he was just sat recently. No points in the last 5 games, and I think you could see Torts wanting to have 2 centers on the ice for most draws and having a "4th" line with Stepan as the center isn't going to win draws on the road when they get put out there against a decent center. My guess is you'll see a line of Stepan-Drury-Zuccarello that will be used more then with Wolski out there.

Drury would also give you a 6th PK forward. Dubi-Cally, Prust-Boyle, Feds-Drury. It cuts into Cally and Dubi's PK time and gives them more ES and PP time where they could be more effective at scoring for this team, which as we know, is the most important part of this team's recent success.

Pack line
Prospal-EC-Gabby
Feds-Boyle-Prust
Stepan-Drury-Zuccarello

If he can come back, that's what you'll see. I think it would help Stepan to be out there with Drury and just to be able to talk to the guy and learn from him, because at this point in his career Drury is needed as much as a teacher as a 4th liner PK guy who wins faceoffs. I know our "leaders" are Staal, Dubi, Girardi, and Callahan (C) but those guys are young and have won ONE playoff series. Drury has a cup, a long time ago, but knows what you need to do to get one. Feds has two and Prospal has one, but Drury is still the captain of this team and the players listen to him.

He's not going to affect the performance of the Cally-Artie-Dubi line, or make Gaborik miss the net more often then hit it. He won't make Staal and Girardi mediocre and won't kill rookie contributions. He also isn't going to make Hank a mediocre goalie. Drury is a small part of this team, but can still be a useful part. You can't add salary anymore, so his contract for the remainder of the season goes out the window. This is what we got, and if he can go, putting him on the 4th line would be an improvement to the team.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:30 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Who on Earth would they sit for him? The fact that he thinks he can still play is distressing indeed.

I believe having an alternative and defensive F/O man for playoffs is critical.
How many points did McTavish get in 94 playoffs? He took the last Face off in our zone.
He was slower than molasses and couldn't shoot a puck into an open ocean, but he was a shut down man.
that is experience. Sorry Stepan, Zuccs and co will cr.p their pants with game on the line.
Has anyone forgotten how we lost a won series to Buffalo not so long ago.

Thank god some one is thinking.

As to your question: I can certainly see Zuccs or Wolski not dressing for playoffs

Last edited by Sad London Ranger: 03-24-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:36 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I think that article definitely shows you that he does.

Now, if you want to gripe about a $7M faceoff guy, then thats a valid argument.
what are you going to do, have him on the roster for the sole purpose of taking face offs?

I want ability in other areas of the game that Drury cannot provide. The article mentioned one facet of the game.

That would be like keepign Wolski in the line-up because he's good on shootouts.

If that's all you bring to the table, then you have no place on this team.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:37 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Vital? You said that not me.

And again, you discount the depth he adds, once you do that you lose me, in fact you insult any knowledgeable hockey person when you say to them Chris Drury adds nothing this time of year, even at his age and decline.
He's washed up.... There's no more 'intangibles' left... Sorry. Drury's the only player on this team who gets evaluated based on his past reputation/play in the league.... Let's try judging him based on what he's shown us this season.

Old
03-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

there is a gripe that he is a 7 myn face off man.

well we are barking at the wrong tree. drury is chastised for being overpaid. the guy to blame is Sather, not Drury.

The face off stats don't lie and are darn important in P/Os

Yes we could have had a cheaper f/o man, Sharks got Scott Nichol for a song. Again a GM issue

If the coach feels he can't hack it - he won't play or do we collectively believe that Torts will let him play just because we are forking out 7 milli in salary?

Old
03-24-2011, 12:00 PM
xxxZENxxx

Although I can't stand Drury's presence on this team either, playoff hockey is a whole different animal. Both teams often play a tight defensive system and games are won & lost based on faceoffs and special teams... which happen to be what Drury excels at. I don't like what I am saying, but it is indeed true. He also just so happens to have incredible experience in playoff/tournament type situations.

Don't be surprised if any of Wolski, Avery, or even EC sits for Drury if he returns. The coaching staff are completely dedicated to him.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Leetch3

drury is not replacing EC, just because EC is the 2nd most hated forward doesn't make that a good swap...drury isn't capable of playing with gaborik, so to sit EC you'd need to either shift prospal to center or move stepan to that line.

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 12:04 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Dubi is at 51% on the season on face-offs.... Prospal is at 56%.... How much do people really think we're going to benefit from Drury's 56% face-off percentage when it's pretty obvious that Tortorella would not have him out on the ice very much at even strength? If we have important draws to take, send Dubi or Vinny out there....

Old
03-24-2011, 12:09 PM
JT Kreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
I would love so much to sit with a Drury fanboy and just point out all the moments where Drury displays his uselessness. It literally happens 90% of the time he is in the picture. Misses passes, unnecessary dump-ins, broken cycles. Fun times.
This. Callahan, Dubinsky, Staal and Hank are the leaders of this team, the heart and soul, presently and moving forward. This is THEIR TEAM. while it might not be their time just yet, the Rangers are in the process of building something special, and a playoff round victory or two will do wonders for the development of the core of our team (this also includes boyle, stepan, AA, McD, sauer, etc.)
Drury (along with countless others, but thats a different argument for a different day) has been a massive failure, the last big goal he has scored was in 2007 (game 5, Hsbc arena, buffalo, ugh).
Lets see what this team can do, we are not a "win-now" team and should not be treated as such. Whatever intangibles he brings (other then faceoffs) we see in callahan, dubi, boyle, fedotenko, AA, and to a certain extent, stepan. Bye bye captain clutch

JT Kreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 12:12 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

I'd lol hard if Dru came back for the playoffs and he scored an important GWG. I think the board would explode.

I don't see where he fits in though as others have said if he does indeed come back. Only guy to scratch that seems logical is E.C. but with Gabby starting to heat up, I'm not sure if you want to mess with that line. Everything could change in the next 8 games or so leading into the playoffs but right now, I just don't see where he fits in the lineup.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 12:21 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
No thanks, I'd rather lose faceoffs.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 12:30 PM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan1026 View Post
This. Callahan, Dubinsky, Staal and Hank are the leaders of this team, the heart and soul, presently and moving forward. This is THEIR TEAM. while it might not be their time just yet, the Rangers are in the process of building something special, and a playoff round victory or two will do wonders for the development of the core of our team (this also includes boyle, stepan, AA, McD, sauer, etc.)
Drury (along with countless others, but thats a different argument for a different day) has been a massive failure, the last big goal he has scored was in 2007 (game 5, Hsbc arena, buffalo, ugh).
Lets see what this team can do, we are not a "win-now" team and should not be treated as such. Whatever intangibles he brings (other then faceoffs) we see in callahan, dubi, boyle, fedotenko, AA, and to a certain extent, stepan. Bye bye captain clutch

94 it was Leetch, Richter's, Graves and Mess's team and yet the last face off was taken by McTavish.
strong roleplaying by disciplined actors is what one needs to be successful. I think what this team sets apart is Cally, Feds, Boyle to do whatever it takes to prevent a goal.

Drury has experience, he obviously can win a clutch face off.

I am not saying he is our saviour but his defensive skills are worth considering. Zuccs/Wolski will vanish from the picture and maybe a an unheralded hero from Hartford will rise, but if Torts believes he has what it takes to
give the team a better chance to win, then Drury will play and I will be 100 pct behind the decision.
and not whining about how our future has been compromised and team chemistry tampered with.

Old
03-24-2011, 12:39 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Dunno who would sit, my guess is it would be wolski. Depending on who we match up against in the playoffs i wouldn't really mind him being in to take faceoffs. Then again, not sure how well he will perform given his injuries this season.

At this point, i'd rather just go with the guys who got us there. Drury in my mind is off this team already.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote