HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr Challenged to Fight During KHL Playoff Game . . . By His Coach?

Old
03-24-2011, 11:07 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Jagr Challenged to Fight During KHL Playoff Game . . . By His Coach?

Quote:
"He [Summanen, the coach] made Jaromir Jagr the scapegoat of the playoffs. Summanen even went after Jagr with his fists after [a Game 6 victory] in Magnitogorsk. He was jumping around [Jagr], challenged him to a fight. Jagr, of course, didn't want to fight."
Clearly Jagr should've stayed in the NHL.

This happened after Game 6 of the series in which his team was eliminated. The coach was subsequently fired, during the middle of Game 7.

The KHL is an even bigger circus than I thought.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...?urn=nhl-wp974

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:10 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Lesson to young guys, don't gamble, you'll end up in shady places trying to get it all back.

People still think the KHL is a threat to the NHL?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:11 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

He chased the money and prestige. He didn't want to not be "the man" anymore. I would have loved him to stay, but that was his choice.

KHL is a joke. I remember when many people thought it'd be a true challenger to the NHL for talent. Oh well, who knows, if he stayed this team maybe would be completely different today. It probably worked out for the best for the Rangers.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:21 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
He chased the money and prestige. He didn't want to not be "the man" anymore. I would have loved him to stay, but that was his choice.
Agreed... I think part of him didn't want the pressure & expectations of having to carry an NHL team on his back anymore.... KHL offered more money and less pressure/expectations.... If he was serious about re-signing with the Rangers he and his agent would not have dragged their feet leading up to July 1st.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:24 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Agreed... I think part of him didn't want the pressure & expectations of having to carry an NHL team on his back anymore.... KHL offered more money and less pressure/expectations.... If he was serious about re-signing with the Rangers he and his agent would not have dragged their feet leading up to July 1st.
I think he wanted to still be the man though. I believe some interviews after he left kind of hinted at that. He knew that the Rangers were moving in a different direction. It was soon going to be Drury & Gomez's team () and with Nylander gone, Straka would soon be gone, all of his other buddies were pretty much gone. I remember times when he would talk about how there soon wouldn't be any Czechs left on the team and such. So after Nylander left, he decided it was time to go.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:25 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I actually think it was the exact opposite. He wanted to be the "guy" and have the team centered around him and his cronies (Nylander, Straka, etc.). The Rangers clearly shifted in another direction with Gomez and Drury (a disastrous one, but that's beside the point). It was no longer his team, and he didn't want to simply be a piece of the puzzle.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:26 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
I think he wanted to still be the man though. I believe some interviews after he left kind of hinted at that. He knew that the Rangers were moving in a different direction. It was soon going to be Drury & Gomez's team () and with Nylander gone, Straka would soon be gone, all of his other buddies were pretty much gone. I remember times when he would talk about how there soon wouldn't be any Czechs left on the team and such. So after Nylander left, he decided it was time to go.
Yeah, but he could be the "man" in the KHL without the burden of having the intense spotlight and expectations of playing for a big market team in the NHL, and still be paid handsomely for doing so.
Sather wanted him back but wasn't about to dish out a pricey 3 year contract and I don't blame him.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:38 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
I actually think it was the exact opposite. He wanted to be the "guy" and have the team centered around him and his cronies (Nylander, Straka, etc.). The Rangers clearly shifted in another direction with Gomez and Drury (a disastrous one, but that's beside the point). It was no longer his team, and he didn't want to simply be a piece of the puzzle.
That pretty much jibes with quotes I read from JJ at the time.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:46 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Hahahaha firing coaches in the middle of games. That is priceless.

Also, I've never heard of a coach challenging a player to a fight. The closest I've seen to that in American sports is in the NBA a few seasons ago when the ref challenged Tim Duncan to a fight in the middle of the game.

Last edited by Stugots: 03-24-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:54 AM
94now

Is Jagr Dodgers fan? Wassup with that hat?
Also, article stipulate that Torts may beat his players up. Really? I wouldn't be shocked, if true, yet Torts should complain to Yahoo for that.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:56 AM
nyrangers14

Bring Jagr Back Now!!!

nyrangers14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

The KHL is a joke.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 12:07 PM
ilezia

This guy Summanen is quite the character. He lead the Finnish NT to the final of World Cup 2004 but even then got feedback from the players that he's too harsh and eventually got fired. He's got some skills tho as I hear even Jagr has said that Summanen is the best coach he has ever had. Naturally this is the down side in him

ilezia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 12:10 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Jagr should've beat the living **** out of the guy.

The guy has something seriously wrong mentally with him. (And Jagr would absolutely destroy the guy in a fight, it wouldn't be anything close to a fair fight)

And lol at the Torts comment

Last edited by Hockey Team: 03-24-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 12:19 PM
ilezia

BTW this happened 3 days ago already and was reported in the Finnish papers, however, the next day there was stories that in fact Summanen did not get fired but the owner says Summanen will coach till his contract ends.

This is quite odd as even the Finnish goalie of Omsk told the papers on Monday that the whole team requested for the firing.

ilezia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 12:27 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilezia View Post
BTW this happened 3 days ago already and was reported in the Finnish papers, however, the next day there was stories that in fact Summanen did not get fired but the owner says Summanen will coach till his contract ends.

This is quite odd as even the Finnish goalie of Omsk told the papers on Monday that the whole team requested for the firing.
So they fired him in the middle of a game, then pretended they didn't fire him to not look like total idiots.

The KHL is a piece of crap, they're worse then that league that brashear played in during the lockout (the one that's basically all enforcers and fighting). Those guys at least advertised themself for what they are. The KHL pretends like they're a world class league when there's constant BS coming out of there.

The Vityaz incidents were the worst.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 12:59 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilezia View Post
Odd? You'd think an ice-hole looks much smaller if it speaks your language, wouldn't you?

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 01:05 PM
E Nixson