HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Hannan

Old
03-24-2011, 10:18 AM
sunnydaycrash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I know how Schultz is viewed by many on the boards. If this committee made the decisions he would definitely be moved. But that isn't the case. Poti or not, is anyone willing to put something up with respect to McPhee actually dealing away Schultz?

This isn't about what anyone thinks should happen, it is about what you think will happen.
first off ignore the last line ....damn iPod and it's keyboard......

I'm personally on the fence on whether he will or not but if someone does wager then something along the lines of a Crosby avatar would be interesting

M persknal

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:11 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
I'm personally on the fence on whether he will or not but if someone does wager then something along the lines of a Crosby avatar would be interesting
There you go, that is all I am talking about. I'm good with that. I'd be fine with wagering a beer after a game or something also if someone would prefer.

I just don't think McPhee is going to cut bait on a 25 year old defenseman after 1 year of a 4 year deal he just signed him to. I'm not saying I don't understand everyone's anti Schultz arguments and why getting rid of him to allow them to help keep Hannan, Arnott, and the rest makes some sense. I am simply saying I do not in anyway think McPhee feels the same way and thus won't deal someone he clearly felt just last offseason was part of the long term plan.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:26 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Double edge sword on Sarge. If he does well in the playoffs, George is well on his way to seeing him being a Norris guy in 5+ years, patting himself on the back for the great contract he inked him to. He falls on his face and struggles with the playoff speed, no one wants him and that contract George inked him to. Nice try though Millhaus.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:34 AM
Caps8112

Any rumor as to how much Hannan wants? I finally like our defense.

Hannan Wideman
Alzner Carlson
Green Erskine
Poti

Schultz can watch from the press box because thats where he will be if we get healthy

Caps8112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 11:39 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Double edge sword on Sarge. If he does well in the playoffs, George is well on his way to seeing him being a Norris guy in 5+ years, patting himself on the back for the great contract he inked him to. He falls on his face and struggles with the playoff speed, no one wants him and that contract George inked him to. Nice try though Millhaus.
Nice try? You feel if he has a similar playoffs to last year he becomes untradeable? Not a chance. Regardless though I don't think his playoff performance is going to have anything to do with how McPhee feels about him as part of the long term plan. He gave him the contract after last year's playoffs after all.

Bet yeah sure the $2.75 mil albatross of a cap hit...

Old
03-24-2011, 11:49 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Nice try? You feel if he has a similar playoffs to last year he becomes untradeable? Not a chance. Regardless though I don't think his playoff performance is going to have anything to do with how McPhee feels about him as part of the long term plan. He gave him the contract after last year's playoffs after all.

Bet yeah sure the $2.75 mil albatross of a cap hit...
Why do you speak of last years playoffs? I didnt like his game and his pairings performance but that is besides the point. His collective career playoff experience I grade him a C at best.

Do you like Poti's contract? 2,75M for a guy that doesnt skate well in a skating league, Thats why i dont like his game and George's vision when drafting him ahead of Green. 5 years from now, hitting will probably be outlawed, the league will be even faster. The writing is all over the wall. Yet his skating like other parts of his game will probably never change. Can he keep up as the league gets inevitably faster?

He goes against George's own preference for mobile puck movers.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 12:07 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Nice try? You feel if he has a similar playoffs to last year he becomes untradeable? Not a chance. Regardless though I don't think his playoff performance is going to have anything to do with how McPhee feels about him as part of the long term plan. He gave him the contract after last year's playoffs after all.Bet yeah sure the $2.75 mil albatross of a cap hit...
Disagree, the contract was more related to the regular season and that dumb +/- statistic. Too many people and that includes those that visit this board use stats as a guage for someone's value and performance. Statistics are not always a reliable indicator. Heck what would you think of Hannan if you just looked at his stats and not his actual performance.

Randy as far as your comments regarding Poti not being a good skater, well the same can be said of Hannan as well. But where they differ significantly from Schultz is their positioning on the ice, their decision making and hockey smarts and all of that compensates for their skating skills or lack thereof.

After posting I re-read your comments and now realize you were referring to Schultz when noting the poor skating skills. I therefore concur with your remarks. Carry on.!

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Why do you speak of last years playoffs? I didnt like his game and his pairings performance but that is besides the point. His collective career playoff experience I grade him a C at best.

Do you like Poti's contract? 2,75M for a guy that doesnt skate well in a skating league, Thats why i dont like his game and George's vision when drafting him ahead of Green. 5 years from now, hitting will probably be outlawed, the league will be even faster. The writing is all over the wall. Yet his skating like other parts of his game will probably never change. Can he keep up as the league gets inevitably faster?

He goes against George's own preference for mobile puck movers.
I know how you feel about Schultz. If you were in charge he would have been moved years ago. I get it. But this isn't about what you think about the guy. It is about what McPhee thinks about the guy. If you feel McPhee went against his own better judgement and preference for mobile puck moves and gave Schultz a 4 year deal anyway and is jumping at the idea of moving him on then more power to you. But realistically that isn't the case.

Again you don't give a 4 year deal like the one they gave Schultz to a guy who you aren't very confident is part of the long term plan. And one season into that contract a lack of building on the previous season is not enough of a reason to change that thinking IMO.

Do I like Poti's contract? Yeah but I don't like his health issues at this point. But he isn't even playing on his new contract yet so who knows how that will work out?

Old
03-24-2011, 12:37 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Disagree, the contract was more related to the regular season and that dumb +/- statistic. Too many people and that includes those that visit this board use stats as a guage for someone's value and performance. Statistics are not always a reliable indicator. Heck what would you think of Hannan if you just looked at his stats and not his actual performance.
Do you feel McPhee gave him that contract because of stats even though he really felt his actual play wasn't deserving of it? A shorter deal maybe but he isn't committing to a 4 year deal to a player he doesn't feel pretty strongly about that way.

Old
03-24-2011, 01:07 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

He's only going to consider trading Sarge if its a hockey move. And that move depends on the signing demands of Hannan vs ours. GMGM will balance the risks of each and make the decision. So its hard to say what "will" happen, cause the unknown about Hannan (or any other irons in the fire wrt shutdown dman).

-However I'm confident that GMGM is properly valuing Hannan
-I'm confident that he'd consider trading sarge
-I'm wary given his past that GMGM will not take a "loss" in the individual Sarge trade in order to give him the ability to sign Hannan at the agreed rate making it an overall win.

Issue 3 is what burns me with him. And if we see Hannan sign elsewhere for 3 yrs x 3M (reasonable value to me) or less I'm going to be sooooo damn pissed.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 01:31 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

This sort of bleeds into all of the projection threads going right now, but the Caps find themselves in the enviable position of a team that is a contender, which left room to add rentals at the deadline, which finds that those rentals fit like a glove.

That doesn't change the fact that the players the team added are still rentals, that there are a few UFAs on whom the team must make decisions, and that because this is a good team, the water level rises for everyone. Many deserve raises.

Some proportion of the UFAs won't be back. It might only be one or two guys, but when you add rentals in March, your team as it looks on March 24 is usually not a team that you can afford for a full year. At some point, a percentage of those guys has to go.

In theory, you simply cut all your perceived dead weight and sign the guys performing well today. Easy! Trade Schultz, demote Poti to LTIR purgatory forever. It's more likely that the team lives with most of its commitments, and the limited cap space available will need to be portioned out to players whose value adds up to more than you can fit under the team's cap space. Schultz is probably a Capital in October.

It's not a travesty, or a surprise, or a catastrophe. It's merely what happens when you trade for rentals. You let them go. Usually, a team may sign one or two. Usually not the whole pack.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 01:42 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Seem to recall when Hannan was picked up by the Capitals both McPhee and the Avalanche GM said that the Capitals had been looking at Hannan for sometime and I got the impression that it was since August right after the Mitchell kick the tires episode. This would tell me that GMGM had thought long and hard about initially acquiring Hannan and probably right now is quite pleased that he made the right decision about him. That being said, I'm optmistic that with GMGM making such an investment in time studying/analyzing Hannan and then pursuing him, he's going to continue with that trend and do everything possible to resign him.

On another note, if it does turn out that Poti's career is over, then it's a no brainer, you retain Schultz, but it won't stop me from bashing him.

Old
03-24-2011, 01:45 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

There is no player the Caps can't afford. You just cant keep everyone. Can you keep Hannan? Sure. Can you keep Hannan, and Arnott, and Laich, and Knuble, and without touching the Wideman and Poti or Schultz contracts? Not likely. At some point, it becomes a question of choices — and if it involves dumping salary to fit UFAs, then it also involves opportunity. Teams tend to favor players in whom they have a great deal of time and effort invested, and Schultz fits that description. The rentals have fit very well, but they were always nabbed with the idea that they would be here for only a few months.

Last edited by Drake1588: 03-24-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 01:57 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Chance of Capitals Resigning:

Laich 100%
Knuble 100%

Hannan 80%

Arnott 33 to 50%

Old
03-25-2011, 02:58 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Caps take a step backwards (at D) without Hannan next year IMO. Sign him George.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 03:08 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:

Laich 100%
Knuble 100%

Hannan 80%

Arnott 33 to 50%
People are going to throw money at Laich, I hope he stays but he'd be dumb to stay if someone offered him 1-1.5M more with more years

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 03:11 PM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Send a message via ICQ to XDC-RES
Quote:

Laich 100%
Knuble 100%

Hannan 80%

Arnott 33 to 50%
I disagree. I honestly don't think Knuble gets re-signed at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Caps take a step backwards (at D) without Hannan next year IMO. Sign him George.
I fully agree and endorse the repetition of this message.

XDC-RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 03:38 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Knuble will get a 1 yr deal IMO.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 03:42 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Knuble will get a 1 yr deal IMO.
I agree. Knoobs will be 39 come July 4th, so doubt he'd be interested in starting anew with another team at this point. He's comfortable here and I think he wants to end his career by winning the cup. 1 year deal but in the neighborhood of 2 million.

Old
03-25-2011, 03:46 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Another year, please!

Last edited by BiPolar Caps: 04-11-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old
03-25-2011, 04:43 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Roccoman

Quote:
+11 and then some.

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 01:11 PM
PAZ

How did Hannan play for you guys?

I was just wondering, mainly because he was solid when he played for the Avs, although that could've been just because the defense was horrible last year. Anyways, did you guys enjoy his play, what would you consider his value now?

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

My post from another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Hannan was a steady, reliable shutdown guy for us last year. He's not incredibly fast, and can be beaten by speed sometimes, and was during the Lightning sweep. I wouldn't want to have to rely on him to be a #1 defenseman, but in a second or third pairing + PK role, I think he's a good fit.

He's physical and likes to initiate contact. But don't expect big hits from him all that often, especially not of the magnitude he doled out before the lockout. That being said, he's willing to take the body and is strong along the boards. Several Caps fans described his technique as "paw to the jaw" based on his tendency to use his arms to initiate contact and control the attacking player. He's also very clean, pretty much never lays a dirty hit.

Definitely a solid defenseman I would love to see on the team if we had more cap space. He's an iron man, too. Rarely misses a game.
Here's the page where the discussion happens.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...7#post35047827

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote