HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(GDT) 10/10: Blues at Phoenix

Closed Thread

Old
10-10-2003, 02:07 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 500
(GDT) 10/10: Blues at Phoenix

The first game of the season, the Blues try to snap a 6-game winless streak on opening night.

Comments? Thoughts?

10-10-2003, 02:16 PM
Irish Blues

Notes from Derrick Goold.....

- Jeff Finley is the only healthy scratch on the trip.

- Blues will start with the following line combos, but Quenneville has other ideas should these falter:

Tkachuk/Demitra/Rycroft
Sejna/Weight/Mayers
Nickulas/Cajanek/Heerema
Danton/R. Johnson/Low

Mellanby is out with broken ribs, Drake is out with a broken orbital bone. Both are out indefinitely.

http://forums.stltoday.com/viewtopic.php?t=93722

Old
10-10-2003, 02:19 PM
JRH

vCash:
Win or lose it sure is nice to have hockey back. I will be most interested in seeing:

1. Which Doug Weight shows up this year.
2. How Sejna transitions to the NHL
3. How much of "the old" Pronger returns
4. If Mayers can pick up his O game and score 40-50pts.
5. How Osgood plays as #1
6. Will Danton be able to take others off their game as the "early" Nash did.

JRH

Old
10-10-2003, 03:09 PM
execwrite

-- The number one question for me is Pronger's health.

-- Hopefully MacInnis and Pronger don't play a ton of minutes early in the year.

-- Looking forward to seeing how the Baby Blues do up front - Rycroft, Sejna, Hereema, Nickulas (not really a baby blue).

Old
10-10-2003, 05:31 PM
DaBo

No predictions yet?? Well, I'll start it!!

STL 6
PHO 1

Weight (2) MacInnis, Pronger, Sejna, Cajanek

Osgood stops 18/19

Old
10-10-2003, 08:53 PM
PhoPhan

Coyotes win 2-1 in OT.

Old
10-11-2003, 06:11 AM
execwrite

I'm happy with a point. Osgood was very strong - that's important. Missing Mellanby, Drake and Salvador took a toll. Pronger played well.

Tough to get any points in Colorado on Sunday. The first real test comes Thursday in Nashville. Have to win that game.

Old
10-11-2003, 06:25 AM
JimEIV

So how was Sejna last night?

I see he got good minutes (19:+).

Old
10-11-2003, 07:17 AM
Laperriere22*

I didn't get a lot of sleep yesterday; so, I don't want to break down the game too much and find that I nodded off and missed some good plays.

I thought Sejna was alright, but he looked better in the other two games I've seen him in (1st game vs. Colorado and the preseason game vs. Chicago). I thought his performance summed up most of the Blues last night in that they looked pretty out-of-sync most of the time.

Jackman looked like junk to me. Pronger and MacInnis both looked rusty although they had their moments. I liked Khavanov's game last night; he took hits all night, but usually cleared the puck. Baron is interesting because he didn't look too bad last night, but if the refs decide to call holding and holding the stick, then Baron is going to sit in the box a lot. Most everything he did in his zone could have been a penalty. Laflamme didn't seem to play much; so, I can't say anything about him off the top of my head.

Tkachuk was the only player that looked ready to play. I'm not fully convinced that he's going to be this good all year, but I'm happy to be wrong if that's how it turns out. All the other forwards were hit and miss to my recollection.

Osgood played pretty well, but he still gives up some bad rebounds and doesn't seem capable of controlling them either IMO. I expect the Blues to be much better tomorrow vs. the Avs.

Old
10-11-2003, 07:59 AM
slimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRH
Win or lose it sure is nice to have hockey back. I will be most interested in seeing:

1. Which Doug Weight shows up this year.
2. How Sejna transitions to the NHL
3. How much of "the old" Pronger returns
4. If Mayers can pick up his O game and score 40-50pts.
5. How Osgood plays as #1
6. Will Danton be able to take others off their game as the "early" Nash did.

JRH
1. Weight looked great.
2. Sejna looked average. He just wasn't much of a factor.
3. Pronger played a real strong defensive game with a few nice outlet passes.
4. Mayers looked like his old self. Quick, banging, but no hands. Didn't look like a 40 pt scorer last night.
5. Osgood was outstanding. He played better than I expected.
6. Danton filled his role well, not spectacularly, but well.

Old
10-11-2003, 08:06 AM
Koltsov71

vCash:
Did Cajanek and Heerema play well? And are they playing together?

Old
10-11-2003, 02:57 PM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimer
2. Sejna looked average. He just wasn't much of a factor.
Who was a factor? He played a decent game and if he was a proven vet, no one would have said anything about him either way.

Old
10-11-2003, 04:54 PM
slimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
Who was a factor? He played a decent game and if he was a proven vet, no one would have said anything about him either way.
To answer your question: Weight, Walt, Pronger, Mac.

I even thought Rycroft was more of a factor than Senja was yesterday. Please don't get me wrong. I still think Senja is going to put up quite a few goals this year. I just don't think last night was one of his better nights. He looked a little apprehensive. Yes, he had a decent game. Yes, the only reason I "said" anything about him is because it was a reply to a question.

Old
10-11-2003, 07:32 PM
Nick Blue

I was out of town last night so I just watched the game on tivo today. Some thoughts. (1) If Demitra continues to play as awful as he did last night, he should be scratched. What an incredibly weak effort. (2) Osgood played a very strong game. I watched the ot goal on slowmo and it looked tipped, just like the first goal. That game could have easily been 4 or 5 to 1 Yotes. (3) The Blues got outworked and showed less speed, skill, physicality, and strength than the Coyotes.

Old
10-13-2003, 06:52 AM
Irish Blues

I've watched the first 2 periods so far, here's what I've seen (I haven't watched the Colorado game so things I mention here may have been addressed):

1. Rycroft has good speed.....but nowhere near the skill to be on the first line.
2. Sejna and Weight need to decide who's going to shoot and who's going to pass - they looked like they wanted to set up each other.
3. Pronger is back. 'Nuff said.
4. Jackman looks OK so far - not great, OK.
5. Lots of skating by the Blues and it appears they had a slight edge in time of possession, but they need to quit looking for the perfect pass - just get it in front and put it on net.
6. Khavanov got knocked down (clean off his skates) at least 4 times so far. Looks like a rag doll out there.
7. The defense looked out of place a couple of times, and with a speedy forward like Nagy it exploits any positioning problem the defense may have big time.
8. Two missed penalty calls in the 2nd, one on each side.

I'll have my complete take on Wednesday, along with some stats I pulled and observations of the goaltending on both sides. (Note: my stats and the official stats don't match up. How the Blues got 10 SOG in the 1st I have *no* idea, save PHX went back 5 minutes and counted a Heerema shot they initially didn't count.)

Old
10-13-2003, 07:02 AM
Nick Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
I've watched the first 2 periods so far, here's what I've seen (I haven't watched the Colorado game so things I mention here may have been addressed):

1. Rycroft has good speed.....but nowhere near the skill to be on the first line.
2. Sejna and Weight need to decide who's going to shoot and who's going to pass - they looked like they wanted to set up each other.
3. Pronger is back. 'Nuff said.
4. Jackman looks OK so far - not great, OK.
5. Lots of skating by the Blues and it appears they had a slight edge in time of possession, but they need to quit looking for the perfect pass - just get it in front and put it on net.
6. Khavanov got knocked down (clean off his skates) at least 4 times so far. Looks like a rag doll out there.
7. The defense looked out of place a couple of times, and with a speedy forward like Nagy it exploits any positioning problem the defense may have big time.
8. Two missed penalty calls in the 2nd, one on each side.

I'll have my complete take on Wednesday, along with some stats I pulled and observations of the goaltending on both sides. (Note: my stats and the official stats don't match up. How the Blues got 10 SOG in the 1st I have *no* idea, save PHX went back 5 minutes and counted a Heerema shot they initially didn't count.)

Dont read too much into Khavanov's game, apparently he was playing with a broken toe and was a scratch for the Avs game. Backman played a nice game for him.

Old
10-13-2003, 07:04 AM
Irish Blues

So was his toe broken during the game or before?

Old
10-13-2003, 07:15 AM
Nick Blue

Quote:
So was his toe broken during the game or before?

Dont know. My guess is during the game.

Old
10-13-2003, 07:19 AM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Blue
Dont know. My guess is during the game.
I'll look for it tonight, see if I can figure out when it might have happened.

Old
10-13-2003, 07:31 AM
Nick Blue

Quote:
I'll look for it tonight, see if I can figure out when it might have happened.
Irish, I would personally skip the Phoenix game and go straight to the Avs game.

Old
10-13-2003, 07:35 AM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Blue
Irish, I would personally skip the Phoenix game and go straight to the Avs game.
If I wasn't pulling stats from every game I can catch on TV this year, I would. I'll get to the Colorado game either late tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

Old
10-13-2003, 09:45 AM
Irish Blues

One other thing I (can't believe I) forgot to post earlier...

Tyson Nash has a new nickname....

"Booger", "Boogs", "Gold Digger", "Deep Miner" - anything along those lines. Earned after FSMW showed him digging away midway through the 2nd period as they came back from a break comparing him and Danton, and again later as they were talking about Nash. I haven't seen someone pick that deep since the 4-year old down the street practically cleaned her sinus cavity this summer.

Closed Thread