HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Tight Laces Question

Old
03-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Oilmageddon

vCash: 500
Tight Laces Question

I have a question regarding the tightness of laces. Sometimes I feel slow on the ice and then I tighten up skates as much as I can around the ankle (first three hoes) and the next shift I feel fast again.

Does that mean I am losing transfer power to my skates when they are too loose? I am using Bauer One 95 skates and I am an above average skater.

Oilmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 02:19 PM
CGNY87

Loose skates will effect your speed and stability. If you feel your laces are getting looser as you play get some waxed laces.

I had the same problem. Half way through a game I would feel a step slower and at faster speeds would feel a little wobble. I got waxed laces and that fixed the problem. Now I just have to worry about tying them too tight and cutting off blood flow, as the laces no longer loosen as my foot expands. LOL

CGNY87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 02:24 PM
Oilmageddon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGNY87 View Post
Loose skates will effect your speed and stability. If you feel your laces are getting looser as you play get some waxed laces.

I had the same problem. Half way through a game I would feel a step slower and at faster speeds would feel a little wobble. I got waxed laces and that fixed the problem. Now I just have to worry about tying them too tight and cutting off blood flow, as the laces no longer loosen as my foot expands. LOL
I might try waxed laces again. When I do my laces tight I find I lose some turning ability but my straight away speed is back.

Old
03-24-2011, 03:13 PM
CGNY87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCoder View Post
I might try waxed laces again. When I do my laces tight I find I lose some turning ability but my straight away speed is back.
thats the main reasoin I end up tying my laces two times. I'll tie them in the locker room, but after skating in warm-ups for a few minutes I adjust them (if need be) so they are as tight as possible while still able to corner effectively. Its all about find the correct balance.

CGNY87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 05:14 PM
Oilmageddon

Some people tape their ankles. Does that do the same thing?

Old
03-24-2011, 05:18 PM
RangersAM99

definitely get some waxed laces, you're skates will stay really tight

RangersAM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 03:14 AM
AvDog

Quote:
Some people tape their ankles. Does that do the same thing?
I use waxed laces and use clear tape on my ankles. I used to get long laces and tie them around my ankle, but after breaking my leg in a game I was told by someone who seemed to know what he was talking about that tying my laces around my ankles probably contributed to my break.

The clear tape helps to keep your boot tight at the top, but still gives your ankle the flexibility it needs.

AvDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 09:37 PM
Oilmageddon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvDog View Post
I use waxed laces and use clear tape on my ankles. I used to get long laces and tie them around my ankle, but after breaking my leg in a game I was told by someone who seemed to know what he was talking about that tying my laces around my ankles probably contributed to my break.

The clear tape helps to keep your boot tight at the top, but still gives your ankle the flexibility it needs.
I am going to try taping my ankles for my game tonight! I will report back on my findings.

Old
03-28-2011, 02:09 PM
Oilmageddon

Quote:
I am going to try taping my ankles for my game tonight! I will report back on my findings.
Taped ankles but it didn't seem to help. Laces still got loose. Time to try wax laces again - but man those kill my hands when tying them...

Old
03-28-2011, 05:24 PM
rwr

Quote:
Taped ankles but it didn't seem to help. Laces still got loose. Time to try wax laces again - but man those kill my hands when tying them...

and they are a PAIN in the @$$ to loosen for the first few skates

rwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 06:08 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGNY87 View Post
thats the main reasoin I end up tying my laces two times. I'll tie them in the locker room, but after skating in warm-ups for a few minutes I adjust them (if need be) so they are as tight as possible while still able to corner effectively. Its all about find the correct balance.
Yeah, I do the same thing. I find that when my laces get a little moisture on them from skating around in warmup they're much easier to tie as well since the laces hold the tightness a little better.

Quote:
My buddy ripped a ton of skin right off his fingers with waxed laces. For the rest of the season he's been wearing batter's gloves (baseball) to tie his skates and has abandoned waxed laces forever. I've gotten blisters from tying my skates (unwaxed) but never anything as bad as what he had.

Anyways, it's important to know where to have the boot loose and where to have it tight for maximum performance. Personally, I like to get as much flex as I can get in my ankles (ability to bend forward) without introducing too much wobble left and right.

The key to maximizing skating performance is to get your heel locked in the back of the boot. That means that you don't necessarily need to do the front of the boot up too tightly, but once you get to about 1-2 eyelets before the start of your ankle you need to get them as tight as you can.

For me, the 4th and 3rd eyelets from the top are the tightest by far. Everything below those is pretty snug. The 2nd eyelet from the top is snug (not too tight). I usually pull my laces upwards and flex my ankle to make sure that I have enough bend in it before I tie the knot. I leave the top eyelet unlaced. This works for me. Everyone is different, so your mileage may vary. If you are a beginner, you should probably do your skates up right to the top. It will help you balance since you're not used to exerting a whole ton of control over your ankles.

Don't tape your ankles.

If you want to try something new, try re-lacing your skates outside-in. When you are threading the lace through the eyelets, put the lace through the outside of the skate and pull it inwards instead of lacing them like shoes and going from the inside-out. I find that this helped with the tightness, and prevented slacking throughout the game.

If you're really creative, you can try double-lacing the eyelets you want maximum tightness out of. That means you're going to thread the laces through the eyelet (lets say 4th from the top) then thread the laces through them again before moving up to the third. You'll be double-tightening them and the thickness of the double-lacing will help them retain their tightness much better. From my experience this has always been confusing as hell. It always took me 10 minutes to lace my skates like this and 25 to unlace them, although I must admit that they held the tightness very well. I've suggested this to a few guys though and they swear by it now.

Last edited by noobman: 03-28-2011 at 06:23 PM.
noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 11:57 AM
KevFist
is best pony

I've always used two sets of laces on each skate. one set for the bottom part and once set for around the ankle. Lets me leave the part around my foot a touch looser to compensate for my feet swelling inside the skate, but still nice and tight around the ankle.

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 12:49 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
There are websites that have explanations and diagrams of different styles of tying lacing. It sounds incredibly dumb but there is a theory behind how you tie your laces. There are different methods you can try to keep your laces tight. I've never tried them, I usually use wax laces but I have regular laces now. Lately I've been thinking about changing my laces about once a month. It seem the longer I go with the same laces the more pain I'll get either in my right inside ankle bone only or lace bite. Once I change the laces no more pain.

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/locklacing.htm

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 07:53 PM
nullterm

My biggest learning, tight laces on the top 3/4 eyelets, snug but not necessarily tight on the bottom ones. As long as they are secure but still comfortable. And use wax laces as they stay tighter.

The biggest improvement I found was upgrading to a new pair of skates with properly heat molded composite boot. In my case, Reebok 6K. The improved support of the boot, tight laces on top, waxed laces, properly sharpened blades. Big improvement, I find my skating is way more consistent.

My old CCM Vector 4.0 skates just didn't have the same ankle support, and it made a night & day difference when I upgraded.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 01:37 AM
AvDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman
Don't tape your ankles.
Why do you say not to tape your ankles? I usually just wrap it around 4-5 times at the base of my ankle. It provides a little extra stability but doesn't lock my leg in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
The biggest improvement I found was upgrading to a new pair of skates with properly heat molded composite boot.
I think this is the way to go. Find a good shop that finds a good fitting skate for you and that do heat molding. I just bought my daughter her figure skates at such a shop and, frankly, I'm jealous of her.

AvDog is offline   Reply With Quote