HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrick Wiercioch

Old
03-23-2011, 08:26 PM
EastCoastSensFan

vCash: 500
I cant say that I’m shocked by people’s reactions. I mean half the fan base is hating on EK and he’s 20 years old and leading the team in scoring as a D-man.

Was Wiercioch great after his first game? No it was not the best game ever played.
Once again +/- is being used as the be all end all.

The first goal he was on for he let the man go that is true but the goal was scored 10 seconds later because of an awful bounce off the boards. At that point he was in no mans land.

The second goal was a 3 on 2 down low and a perfect tick-tack-toe goal. No much chance on that either. He was also not the man that turned the puck over on the play.

Will he be a league MVP, no i dont think so but i think by 2015 he will be a useful second pairing guy who plays big minutes on the power play.

But that is just a guess 1 game and about 10 minutes is not enough time to decide anything.

EastCoastSensFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 09:36 PM
Crawdinger

Wiercioch reminds me a lot of kuba
larger body that doesn't play to the size
decent passer and shooter with mobile skating
His development makes him possible as a late bloomer
which is just fine, leave him in AHL to take on greater duties
and he can fill in when the likes of gonchar, kuba, philips or whoever parts ways

Every player develops differently and with our young glut of defenders
competition is never bad
give him time, we don't exactly "need" him right now anyway

Crawdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 11:45 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
by the way Korea... he was drafted in the 2nd round and so there is no possible way he is a blue chipper. If he was, he would have been drafted in the first round as a sure shot to be a top level NHL player. Yes he's been hyped, but to sell him out as not being a good to fantastic NHL player in the future is a bit silly right now.

Lee has come along after all. Perhaps not the puck moving offensive dynamo he was coined as, but he is becoming a good defender none the less.
Duncan Keith:

Selected by Chicago Blackhawks round 2 #54 overall 2002 NHL Entry Draft

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 02:38 AM
Manny*

Anybody see Condra eating a sandwich behind him during his interview today?

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 07:35 AM
sens83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
Did he chew with stamina?

sens83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 07:56 AM
Sens91

I am very surprised with the way some fans are talking about PW's first game. I don't think you guys are comprehending the fact that playing your first NHL game is a lifechanging experience. He was nervous as ****. He said it himself earlier that day in his interview. Sure he was minus 3, but heck that just makes him anyone else on the team. (Karlsson, Kuba, Phillips) Sure he was hesitant defensively, but who wouldn't be. I don't think he was too high on himself at all, in fact when someone is that hesitant, it is usually due to a lack of confidence, or feeling out of place. I think you guys downplay that EVERY athlete is secretly cocky, otherwise they are not good. You think Crosby sits around saying darn, I'm really not that good. Heck no. He knows he is the best, he is just a professional and doesn't display that to the world. Every athlete the same. Just look at humble, loving Tiger Woods lol. Mental skills and Mental strength is developed over time just as physical skills are. I remember interviews of Karlsson a year or two back, and I was thinking how he seemed cocky, and look at him now lol, NHL All-Star.

Sens91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 12:27 PM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
He was eating the sandwich over a garbage can he brought over with him. It was amazing to watch.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 01:14 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens83 View Post
Excellent question. I want to know if he chewed with maturity as well.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens83 View Post
I believe it was a stamina sandwich.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 03:03 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreaboy View Post
people have to stop being defensive and nasty when someone has the temerity to suggest that one of their pet prospects might not be the superstar that they make him out to be. we as fans have to learn to be realistic and objective. we've been told for a long time that this kid was supposedly going to be an awesome defenceman. my reaction to that has always been, ok great, i hope so, but until i see him play i aint buying it.

i watched the kid at rookie camp and in the preseason and he didnt overwhelm me but i didnt pass judgement. we've all heard about his struggles in the AHL but i think we have to be pleased that he seems to have recovered a bit. now we see him last night and for many of us, it's the first time we've seen him in a realistic, live-fire NHL environment.

what i saw made me think that this kid has been overhyped. not that he's a "bust" or that he can't turn into a very good player, but that we have to be realistic and not oversell this kid. he is an intriguing package of size and hockey sense, but what i saw last night makes me think at the very least that he's probably 1-2 years away from being ready. not that he's a bust or that we should write him off, but that all those people pencilling him into our lineup for next year or thinking he's a blue chipper need to temper that.

i'm always amazed when people get nasty when realities like that are pointed out.
...and I am always amazed at how people can make an assessment of a player, good or bad, on such a small sample size.

Lee and O'Brien were both written off by a majority of posters on this board. O'Brien made huge strides this past year and Lee is now playing with Phillips as the Sens shut down pairing.

Players don't develop at the same rate, physically or in their maturity. Where a player is drafted isn't in any way a reliable predictor for the majority of players. It is why the scouts talk constantly about the intangibles. The jump from university or junior requires dedication, determination and extreme effort. No fan can judge the degree a player possesses these attributes by watching a game, or even a dozen games.

KK believes PW possesses the right stuff, that suggest the kid will make it in the end.

PW needs to fill out, get stronger and improve his foot speed. How quickly this will occur is really dependant on how his body responds to his conditioning and development program. If his body responds well, he could be a very pleasant surprise at next years camp.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 03:27 PM
FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
...and I am always amazed at how people can make an assessment of a player, good or bad, on such a small sample size.
I generally agree with avoiding a small sample size assessment. BUT, I also believe that you can very quickly assess a players "physical tools" - size, skating, puck handling, speed of decision making. These are those god-given characteristics that are difficult to improve upon dramatically -- especially after a certain age.

Some people really don't see tools when they watch a young player. They see how plays turn out, focus on the results and assess based on that. To me those are the people who are fooled and make bad assessments after small sample sizes.

Personally, I like to think I can tell whether a player will be an "impact" player in the NHL after watching just one or two games. Similarly I think almost anyone can tell a guy who has no chance to stick in the league very quickly.

It's the in-between guys who are tougher, the ones who could be good solid NHLers or could end up being lifetime AHLers... too close to call. For those guys, you probably need a half season before you really can make up your mind.

And I think Weircioch clearly falls into that category.

Quote:
Lee and O'Brien were both written off by a majority of posters on this board. O'Brien made huge strides this past year and Lee is now playing with Phillips as the Sens shut down pairing.
But most of those who were writing O'Brien off had never seen him play, and were just going based on stats in Bingo. Which is fine, but it is quite different from seeing a guy play his first NHL game and picking apart the flaws in that game.

Quote:
PW needs to fill out, get stronger and improve his foot speed. How quickly this will occur is really dependant on how his body responds to his conditioning and development program. If his body responds well, he could be a very pleasant surprise at next years camp.
Filling out and getting stronger is something that will obviously happen if he trains - happens to every guy in his early twenties.

Improving his foot speed is a bigger question mark, especially since the "filling out" will tend to make him slower, not faster.

On top of foot speed I think he just generally needs to improve his skating -- not his top end speed, but his ability to stop, start, turn, etc.. This is something Spezza had to work on in his early years in the league, and I think most tall guys struggle with it.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 04:55 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeb View Post
I generally agree with avoiding a small sample size assessment. BUT, I also believe that you can very quickly assess a players "physical tools" - size, skating, puck handling, speed of decision making. These are those god-given characteristics that are difficult to improve upon dramatically -- especially after a certain age.

Some people really don't see tools when they watch a young player. They see how plays turn out, focus on the results and assess based on that. To me those are the people who are fooled and make bad assessments after small sample sizes.

Personally, I like to think I can tell whether a player will be an "impact" player in the NHL after watching just one or two games. Similarly I think almost anyone can tell a guy who has no chance to stick in the league very quickly.

It's the in-between guys who are tougher, the ones who could be good solid NHLers or could end up being lifetime AHLers... too close to call. For those guys, you probably need a half season before you really can make up your mind.

And I think Weircioch clearly falls into that category.

But most of those who were writing O'Brien off had never seen him play, and were just going based on stats in Bingo. Which is fine, but it is quite different from seeing a guy play his first NHL game and picking apart the flaws in that game.

Filling out and getting stronger is something that will obviously happen if he trains - happens to every guy in his early twenties.

Improving his foot speed is a bigger question mark, especially since the "filling out" will tend to make him slower, not faster.

On top of foot speed I think he just generally needs to improve his skating -- not his top end speed, but his ability to stop, start, turn, etc.. This is something Spezza had to work on in his early years in the league, and I think most tall guys struggle with it.
Agree, especially with the bolded.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 12:24 AM
pdog1979

From what I saw, Wiercioch looked much more poised and comfortable tonight. Couple of nice outlet passes too. Nice to see him get a bit of PP time.

pdog1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 12:29 AM
Manny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdog1979 View Post
From what I saw, Wiercioch looked much more poised and comfortable tonight. Couple of nice outlet passes too. Nice to see him get a bit of PP time.
Yeah, he looked decent. He'll be an NHL player, there's no doubt in my mind. It remains to be seen whether or not it will be as an Ottawa Senator.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 03:48 AM
Hutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
I believe it was a stamina sandwich.
Sounds like something a hockey player would eat.

Hutz is offline   Reply With Quote