HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Best Team in the Nation

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2003, 05:55 AM
WUNHSptsDir

vCash:
Best Team in the Nation

Discounting Minnesota, and now especially with Forrest being out indefinitely, which team is the best in the nation?

I'm going to be a homer and say UNH. I think the Wildcats have the best goaltender in the nation, Mike Ayers , and the freshmen are playing like they have been in the league before. They are not ordinary freshmen... especially Micfliker.

Old
10-09-2003, 07:06 AM
gopher

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to gopher
surprise

im going for the gophers, best offense of the league, bdw vanek loves ayers ...

Old
10-09-2003, 09:35 AM
WUNHSptsDir

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher
I have to agree, I think Minnesota is by far the best team in the nation and anything short of a three peat would be disappointing in my eyes, but that's why i said "discounting"

Old
10-10-2003, 10:16 AM
jiggs 10

It's far too early to tell yet (1 game). Obviously, Minnesota has to be taken seriously, even with their goalie woes. I can tell you all about that, as a North Dakota alum! We should have won the whole thing 2 years ago, but had "suckie-goalie-by-committee". I'm not sure about the Eastern teams. UNH is probably the best bet from there, but never discount the Boston College Eagles.
I think North Dakota is going to be a force again this year, because the goalie situation has finally been solved (Jordan Parise and Nate Zeiggelman), and they have a great offense and the best top-to-bottom defense in the WCHA. But funny things happen throughout the year, so you just never know.

Old
10-10-2003, 08:15 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher
You wouldn't have known it by today's game vs Maine.

That aside, I do think that Minnesota had got to be considered one of the favourites. Good arguments could also be made for BC, UNH and UND. However, one team I wouldn't leave out of the mix is Harvard. Not only are they my pick to take the ECAC, but they could conceivably go all the way. An excellent Defensive team and have a very good core of scorers as well.

Old
10-10-2003, 09:12 PM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
I'll give an opposing view...

I think BC is the best team in the nation. They are way too stacked offensively, including some great two-way forwards and added size up front. Their defense is just as good and experienced. Obvious others: Minnesota, Michigan. On the Bubble: UND, UNH. Longshot: Colorado College.

10-11-2003, 05:11 AM
ttnorm

Rough night for the big three:

-BC tied by Duluth
-Minnesota shut out by Maine
-Michigan loses by 5 to winless Miami (Montoya pulled after allowing 6).

Others: Findlay wins at Michigan State
Notre Dame hammers Ohio St. at Columbus

This week's NCAA scores

Gotta love these early season games!

Old
10-11-2003, 11:22 AM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnorm
-Michigan loses by 5 to winless Miami (Montoya pulled after allowing 6).
Everyone knows that Miami is going to be an offensive juggernaught this season, but this one was an absolute shocker!

Old
10-11-2003, 12:14 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove
Everyone knows that Miami is going to be an offensive juggernaught this season, but this one was an absolute shocker!

This game's outcome didn't shock me not nearly as much as Findlay's win over MSU in the Icebreaker. In East Lansing no less! Findlay had some offensive issues going into this season, but judging by the final score you wouldn't know it.

Old
10-12-2003, 07:11 AM
WUNHSptsDir

vCash:
I have a hard time thinking that Harvard can go all the way. Right now I see them as the best team in a not so good conference. I think they are going to shine in the ECAC, but the with some of the power out west and in Hokcey East especially, I find it hard for any team in the ECAC to win it all.

UNH 3-0 over Vermont Last night.

Michael Ayers broke the school career shutout record.

Old
10-12-2003, 05:56 PM
ttnorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WUNHSptsDir
I have a hard time thinking that Harvard can go all the way. Right now I see them as the best team in a not so good conference. I think they are going to shine in the ECAC, but the with some of the power out west and in Hokcey East especially, I find it hard for any team in the ECAC to win it all.
It's still very early, but it's not too hard to make a case for Harvard. In some ways they are like 0203 Cornell. They are going to be an excellent defensive team with led by Welsh and Grumet-Morris two of the elite players at their positions in the country. All top 6 of their defense are back plus they add Freshman Reese who is well regarded. Grumet-Morris should have been 2nd team ECAC behind LeNeveu last year and was only beaten by Danis' reputation. They also bring back alot of points from their forwards but frankly, that group has the most to prove against the top national teams as they had trouble scoring in most big games last year.

It is not unreasonable to discount the Crimson until they show it on the ice, but this is a very talented and experienced team at all positions and I think the whole could be better than the sum of the parts. Other teams have better shots at the national title - Minnesota, BC, and Michigan come to mind, but if Harvard gets the chemistry to fire on all cylinders, they will be very tough for even the top teams to handle.

Old
10-13-2003, 08:49 AM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnorm
It's still very early, but it's not too hard to make a case for Harvard. In some ways they are like 0203 Cornell. They are going to be an excellent defensive team with led by Welsh and Grumet-Morris two of the elite players at their positions in the country. All top 6 of their defense are back plus they add Freshman Reese who is well regarded. Grumet-Morris should have been 2nd team ECAC behind LeNeveu last year and was only beaten by Danis' reputation. They also bring back alot of points from their forwards but frankly, that group has the most to prove against the top national teams as they had trouble scoring in most big games last year.

It is not unreasonable to discount the Crimson until they show it on the ice, but this is a very talented and experienced team at all positions and I think the whole could be better than the sum of the parts. Other teams have better shots at the national title - Minnesota, BC, and Michigan come to mind, but if Harvard gets the chemistry to fire on all cylinders, they will be very tough for even the top teams to handle.
Agreed. Welch and Smith are two solid blueliners whom IMHO rank among the best blueline tandems in the nation.

People are questioning Harvard's offence because of the fact that they no longer have Dominick Moore and Brett Nowak. Yet, I think those same people are forgetting that Tim Pettit had a heckuva season last year as well. Plus, they return Tyler Kolarik and Tom Cavanagh among other excellent forwards, who should be able to pickup the scoring slack left by Moore and Nowak.

Closed Thread