HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Drury returns, he could help Rangers on draws

Old
03-24-2011, 01:49 PM
94now

vCash: 500
1. Sather was correct stating Drury is out for the season. The regular season it was. He will play in playoff if we are in.
2. Now when team has won 5 in the row every one wants to keep the lineup unchanged. After two losses in the row (tonight and Sat) people would think of adding Mark Messier to lineup.
3. Drury is 34. His hands are not lost, just have been injured (one of two but it's still a lot). By now hands should be just fine. His legs are fine for special teams where skating is mostly limited to defensive zone (ours or opponet's). There are no breakaways in playoffs, speed doesn't matter as much as in regular season.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
1. Sather was correct stating Drury is out for the season. The regular season it was. He will play in playoff if we are in.
2. Now when team has won 5 in the row every one wants to keep the lineup unchanged. After two losses in the row (tonight and Sat) people would think of adding Mark Messier to lineup.
3. Drury is 34. His hands are not lost, just have been injured (one of two but it's still a lot). By now hands should be just fine. His legs are fine for special teams where skating is mostly limited to defensive zone (ours or opponet's). There are no breakaways in playoffs, speed doesn't matter as much as in regular season.
Say whaaaaat? No breakaways in playoffs? Tell that to Mike Richter and Pavel Bure after Bure was taken down by Leetch in 94 leading the way to that infamous penalty shot.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 02:28 PM
eco's bones

The best reason for keeping him out of the lineup is his skating. He can't keep up. That's a big reason why he doesn't produce offense anymore.

Before he went out of our lineup he was being replaced on higher lines by Hartford callups like Kris Newbury--who by the way was pretty good on face-offs. To me Newbury is a better option.

This team isn't led by these old dogs anymore. It's the Callahan, Dubinsky, Staal, Girardi show. As far as playoff experience Fedotenko, Prospal etc. should be okay. I have doubts this time is a legit contender this year and it's not likely that Drury's experience and faceoff skills are going to make us better considering his ability to skate at an NHL pace.

Best thing he can do for us is retire. Naslund had the good grace to do it.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 02:29 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
Gaborik was a big name. More recently he has trended to TRADING and SIGNING for these no name gems, rather than just signing. Boyle, Prust, Prospal, Mcdonagh (who MTL fans swore was going to be a bust) Personally I think Eminger has been a great signing. Again, Biron as a back up? especially at his salary? I think that was another good one.

All within the past 2 years.

And as for your edit in your post: Gaborik had a Points per game average that drury and gomez could only dream about having. Gaborik clearly was an elite or star talent. Drury and Gomez were being paid on 1 83 point season for Gomez, and 1 30 goal season for Drury.
1) I won't beieve that he signs these guys with the idea of trading them. I just don't. He didn't sign Gomez with the idea of trading him. He didn't make that trade with the idea of packaging Higgins with Kotalik to get Prust. He's managed to do it. But it does not make the signing bad. Eminger was a trade, not a fa signing.

2) Gaborik is a better player. But it doesn't mean he wasn't a big question mark when he was signed. Right now he's on pace for 50 points — which is closer to his career average than last season was.

3) The fact he found 2 GMs worse than he is doesn't make him a good GM.

03-24-2011, 02:29 PM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
Let's face it...Drury still has some pride, and this guy is our captain regardless of his contract. If he comes back and plays the same way he did at the Olympics, I think the majority would sign up for it. I know people don't necessarily care about face-offs, but puck possession and defensive zone draws are HUGE in all situations. Torts won't throw him into the wrong situation.

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 03:12 PM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
1) I won't beieve that he signs these guys with the idea of trading them. I just don't. He didn't sign Gomez with the idea of trading him. He didn't make that trade with the idea of packaging Higgins with Kotalik to get Prust. He's managed to do it. But it does not make the signing bad. Eminger was a trade, not a fa signing.

2) Gaborik is a better player. But it doesn't mean he wasn't a big question mark when he was signed. Right now he's on pace for 50 points which is closer to his career average than last season was.

3) The fact he found 2 GMs worse than he is doesn't make him a good GM.

As usual SBOB your taking things out of context. I never said he signs them with the intent of trading them, but the option is there if they dont work out.

Also, hes on pace for 50 points after missing 18 games. Again, you skew it in your favor, its getting old.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 03:25 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

I find it pretty humorous that same would prefer husks like Wolski or Newbury in the playoffs over Drury.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 03:32 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
As usual SBOB your taking things out of context. I never said he signs them with the intent of trading them, but the option is there if they dont work out.

Also, hes on pace for 50 points after missing 18 games. Again, you skew it in your favor, its getting old.

Gaborik missed 18 games. But he only averages 63 games played a season.

But doesn't missing 18 games mean something? Wasn't health a concern when he was signed?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 03:43 PM
pete3589

I honestly don't know if he can contribute much coming off a knee surgery where everything is so much more uptempo in the playoffs.

Last playoffs he tried to be a hero and play through the broken hand. He wasn't good on faceoffs, and only had 1 point in the 7 games.

I don't want him trying to be "hero" Chris Drury again.

pete3589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 03:47 PM
94now

Quote:
Say whaaaaat? No breakaways in playoffs? Tell that to Mike Richter and Pavel Bure after Bure was taken down by Leetch in 94 leading the way to that infamous penalty shot.
Lots of things has changed for 17 years, lots of things... Playoffs included. "Safe is Life" is being playoffs logo nowadays. There still may be some speedy plays, including breakaways, but they would be rare, nonfactor, if you will... Slow, yet experienced clutch guys like Drury always matter.

Old
03-24-2011, 04:01 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Lots of things has changed for 17 years, lots of things... Playoffs included. "Safe is Life" is being playoffs logo nowadays. There still may be some speedy plays, including breakaways, but they would be rare, nonfactor, if you will... Slow, yet experienced clutch guys like Drury always matter.
is it 2005 again.....

now ive heard everything

playoffs = slower play

drury = slow

drury = playoffs

when was the last time capt quaalude was clutch.

anyone.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 04:03 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
is it 2005 again.....

now ive heard everything

playoffs = slower play

drury = slow

drury = playoffs

anyone.
In the 2009 playoffs, when he scored that irrelevant game winner against Washington.

Pretty long time.

And I think you mean 2004.

03-24-2011, 04:04 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

He scored the last minute goal to tie the Devils which started our late season run last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQJs9VxOZz4

03-24-2011, 04:23 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
is it 2005 again.....

now ive heard everything

playoffs = slower play

drury = slow

drury = playoffs

anyone.
I don't see what is that you arguing. That Drury sucked for us in every regular season? Everyone agrees. In playoffs? No, he was useful. Since we last play there in 2009 it seems like Drury has no use at all, because we have seen regular season NYR hockey for too long years.

Old
03-24-2011, 04:32 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

id be interested in having Drury in the playoffs for the sole purpose of PKing and faceoffs...sit maybe MZA for him..its not like MZA is doing much out there as it is.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 04:41 PM
DancinLarry*

Don't feel like reading back through the 5 pages in this thread, but I spoke with someone who is close to Drury and his family yesterday. Drury had surgery two weeks ago and said he should be back in 4-6 weeks. Take it for what it's worth.

DancinLarry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 04:50 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Is there confirmation he will even be ready in time for the playoffs?

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 05:02 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
In the 2009 playoffs, when he scored that irrelevant game winner against Washington.

Pretty long time.

And I think you mean 2004.
"Irrelevant game winner" thats an oxymoron if I ever heard one. Since we havent made the playoffs (or won a playoff game) since, it could be argued thats the last time anyone on the Rangers was clutch

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 05:07 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
"Irrelevant game winner" thats an oxymoron if I ever heard one. Since we havent made the playoffs (or won a playoff game) since, it could be argued thats the last time anyone on the Rangers was clutch
I was just kidding because of all the Drury hate. He's the cause of global warming and 2012, didn't ya hear?

I personally like Drury, but I don't see him fitting in with this team all that well. In the playoffs, we could use him for faceoffs, but beyond that, next year, he has no spot on this team imo.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 05:13 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
I was just kidding because of all the Drury hate. He's the cause of global warming and 2012, didn't ya hear?

I personally like Drury, but I don't see him fitting in with this team all that well. In the playoffs, we could use him for faceoffs, but beyond that, next year, he has no spot on this team imo.
Ha, sorry, without the hate going on I thought you were serious. Im kinda meh about the whole thing though - I think he can be valuable if healthy as a faceoff/PK guy - certainly dont think he'd hurt the team during playoff time.

What really makes me laugh is people are advocating playing Erik Christensen over him.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 05:21 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I find it pretty humorous that same would prefer husks like Wolski or Newbury in the playoffs over Drury.
Humorous or not for you--he's a shell of what he once was. Tortorella was using both Kolarik and Newbury ahead of him.

I think you underestimate Wolski as well. He's a young player with speed and with real upside. His offense might be inconsistent but inconsistent is better than non existent. He floats too much but Drury floats some as well. Wolski's defense has not been bad--+11 in 30 games with us mostly playing with two rookies.

The direction of the team is going away from older players like Drury in any case. The heart and soul players for this team are Callahan, Dubinsky, Staal and Girardi. This is the new leadership. They along with Lundqvist have carried the team. As of now Avery is the 13th forward--Drury at best falls behind him.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 05:24 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Watching the Toronto game on the CBC a couple weekends ago they talked about how Phaneuf has played better since Kaberle has been traded off the team and one announcer said to the other..."the leadership has been handed to the kids". Seeing how well Callahan has played lately and how he's lead this team, unless Drury is going to do something noble like Prospal did, it's better he doesn't come back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
A $7M Guy Carbonneau, Priceless.
You mean an $8M Craig McTavish

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 05:29 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Who on Earth would they sit for him? The fact that he thinks he can still play is distressing indeed.
I was the first to bash Drury well everyone else loves him but i wont talk about that again. However i will say that Drury can offer more than W2 can but Avery can offer more than Drury can. So in the end, we have to get Avs back in at the expense of hopefullyl Wolski and than who can Dru take, idk if someone struggles maybe u slide him in and see what he offers.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 05:35 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Humorous or not for you--he's a shell of what he once was. Tortorella was using both Kolarik and Newbury ahead of him.

I think you underestimate Wolski as well. He's a young player with speed and with real upside. His offense might be inconsistent but inconsistent is better than non existent. He floats too much but Drury floats some as well. Wolski's defense has not been bad--+11 in 30 games with us mostly playing with two rookies.

The direction of the team is going away from older players like Drury in any case. The heart and soul players for this team are Callahan, Dubinsky, Staal and Girardi. This is the new leadership. They along with Lundqvist have carried the team. As of now Avery is the 13th forward--Drury at best falls behind him.

I still cant get over how people make it seem like Dru in some way is much worse than he once was. When was this once was? the guy is not that old. The fact is Torts came and set things straight, Drury was played way in over his head with Renney and obv will accumulate more points when hes on the PP all the time, but he wasent good enough then nor is he now to contribute in the way GM and Renney tried to believe. Hes a 3rd or 4th line guy when hes playing 100% intensity and is quite effective at that roll, now and in the past. Maybe a year or two he was a 2nd line guy but with Buff i didnt see his talent level any different. Just plain and simple pathetic signing there was not this slide in that last year or two. The Slide is Torts who plays guys not based on contract, and everyone followed along thereafter. But as i said the only way u put Dru in the lineup is at the expense of Wolski, Christ is to talented to have sitting out esp with some chemistry with Gabs. Boyle is a force but if he were to struggle that might be the only center u can take out.

Last edited by satrabyk: 03-24-2011 at 05:44 PM.
satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 05:59 PM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
He scored the last minute goal to tie the Devils which started our late season run last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQJs9VxOZz4

what a game that was........

but you are right....absolutely no hands whatsoever

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote