HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

2011 Injury Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2011, 08:26 AM
Proto

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticus View Post
Wow, I forgot about Salo! (He's injured to often) I really hope Rome is our 8th defensemen, but I'm pretty sure its going to be Alberts.
I hope we don't find out.

Old
03-24-2011, 11:20 AM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
Has anyone heard anything about Lee Sweatt? It looks to me like he was about to get sent down and cried foot injury. He got to keep collecting an NHL salary. Something is fishy.

Old
03-24-2011, 11:43 AM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
Has anyone heard anything about Lee Sweatt? It looks to me like he was about to get sent down and cried foot injury. He got to keep collecting an NHL salary. Something is fishy.
...or he broke his foot after getting hit with a shot in practice. Hard to fake a broken bone.

Old
03-24-2011, 01:59 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
I have a dream that one day this message board will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that not all top 6 forwards are created equal.".

I have a dream that one day even in CDC, a message board sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day post on message boards where they will not be judged by the content of their posts but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day, down in HF Boards, with its vicious posters who use terms such ********* and retard, with its members having their lips dripping with the words of interposition and nullification; one day right there in HF Boards, little pro-Sedin boys and pro-Sedin girls will be able to join hands with little anti-Sedin boys and anti-Sedin girls as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today.

This is our hope. This is the faith that I go back to the GM place with. With this faith we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our internet forum into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day.

And if the Vancouver Canucks are to become Stanley Cup champions this must become true. So let freedom ring from the prodigious hilltops of Whistler. Let freedom ring from the mighty mountains of Golden Ears. Let freedom ring from the posh stores of Robson Street!

Let freedom ring from Whalley!

Let freedom ring from the curvaceous slopes of Coquitlam!

But not only that; let freedom ring from the 9 o’clock gun!

Let freedom ring from Main & Hastings!

Let freedom ring from every hill and molehill of North Vancouver. From every mountainside, let freedom ring.

Old
03-24-2011, 02:33 PM
gobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholesickcrew View Post
...or he broke his foot after getting hit with a shot in practice. Hard to fake a broken bone.
The estimated recovery time was 4 to 6 weeks. It is way beyond that now.

Old
03-24-2011, 02:40 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobi View Post
The estimated recovery time was 4 to 6 weeks. It is way beyond that now.
That's because the Canucks needed his LTIR space so they likely told him to pack it in for the year even though he's probably healed by now. Because of the loan rules after the deadline he was stuck on the Canucks roster regardless, so it's better that they can use his LTIR space rather than absorb his cap hit just so he can sit in the press box.

It sucks for him that he doesn't get to play, but once his injury took him past he deadline the AHL was no longer an option. So really he wasn't going to be playing either way. Besides, he gets an NHL paycheck for the rest of the season for his troubles.

Old
03-24-2011, 03:47 PM
gobi

I understand that LS is kept on LTIR for cap reasons and that's what's fishy about it. To me, it just seems like cap circumvention when a player's salary is kept hidden in LTIR even after he becomes healthy. It's just like Salo's situation...he kept saying he wasn't ready but when Edler went down, boom...all of a sudden he's ready to go. Granted, Salo's injury is much harder to judge than a broken foot but it does seem like the Canucks are using the LTIR as a loophole.

Old
03-24-2011, 04:13 PM
xtr3m

Quote:
To me, it just seems like cap circumvention when a player's salary is kept hidden in LTIR even after he becomes healthy.
Shhhh

Old
03-24-2011, 04:18 PM
ItWasTheCat

vCash: 73
Quote:
Granted, Salo's injury is much harder to judge than a broken foot but it does seem like the Canucks are using the LTIR as a loophole.
Agreed, but I think that's what you get when you have stupid rules like that in place.

I also don't think the Canucks are the only team in the league using questionable practices such as that.

Old
03-24-2011, 07:05 PM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItWasTheCat View Post
Agreed, but I think that's what you get when you have stupid rules like that in place.

I also don't think the Canucks are the only team in the league using questionable practices such as that.
It's not questionable at all. It's basically how the rules are setup.

Think about it, you are allowed to go over the cap while someone is hurt, so you can sign a replacement but to bring a player back, you need to get under the cap with them in the lineup, i.e. you need to either keep the player off the roster, or send their replacement down. The Canucks are choosing to keep the injured player off the roster.

Old
03-24-2011, 11:35 PM
Shareefruck

Can we call up Edler in the regular season (if he's healthy) now that Malhotra's injured?

Old
03-24-2011, 11:46 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Can we call up Edler in the regular season (if he's healthy) now that Malhotra's injured?
No, we don't have the cap space.

Old
03-24-2011, 11:50 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Might be able to squeeze it in. Would have to send Tanev down though, and I believe they've said they won't be doing that.

Old
03-25-2011, 12:01 AM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Wow, did anyone see the call against Thornton with 2mins left in a tie game. Absolutely terrible and of course the Kings scored on the PP.

and Sharks tie it with 3 secs left!!!

EDIT: Cool wrong thread...

Last edited by mrmyheadhurts: 03-25-2011 at 12:32 AM.
Old
03-25-2011, 01:54 AM
Placebo Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Might be able to squeeze it in. Would have to send Tanev down though, and I believe they've said they won't be doing that.
Tanev was on the Moose clear day roster right? If we get to the last couple of games, and Edler is ready, I say send him down. Let's face it, he's done well but he's still young and sitting him in the press box is no good. He's 9th on our depth chart when all are healthy. Moose could use the help anyways.

Old
03-25-2011, 02:21 AM
opendoor

They could just fit Edler back in assuming everyone's healthy. If they send Tanev, Oreskovich, and Bolduc down that'd leave them with about $150K in LTIR room (with Malhotra, Alberts, and Sweatt on LTIR) if they activated Edler. They'd be going with a 21 man roster (12 forwards, 7 defensemen, and 2 goalies) and no room for a call up, but they may feel it's worth it for the last couple of games, assuming he's ready.

Old
03-25-2011, 02:43 AM
Placebo Effect

Well simply going by if we had the healthy forward roster minus Manny. Orekovich and Bolduc back down. Difference between Edler and Manny is $750k. Tanev's $900k would cover that.

Old
03-25-2011, 02:54 AM
Wetcoaster

Alain Vigneault's take on injuries.
"I don't think our guys are getting the credit they deserve," Vigneault said after Thursday's practice in suburban Atlanta. "We're sixth in the league in man games lost to injury. Everybody in front of us who has more man games lost aren't in the playoffs."

"We have used the most players in the league this year and we're still No. 1. So I think this group deserves a lot of credit for the adversity they have faced night in and night out."
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/C...#ixzz1Hb066P4Y

Old
03-25-2011, 11:01 AM
MrJonas

What exactly is the status of Edler right now? I can't seem to find any fresh info. Is he on pace to be back for sometime during the first playoff round or what?

Old
03-25-2011, 12:18 PM
Placebo Effect

Well he started skating last week. I think they said if all goes well he may join the team. Most media are confident he'll be back for game 1.

Old
03-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

With Malhotra's injury and a little creative juggling, the Canucks could conceivably fit Edler back in towards the end of the year. Malhotra is at $2.5m(LTIR), Bolduc at $500k(back to Manitoba) and Edler's hit is $3.25m. It'd be close...but I think they will likely wait for the playoffs.

Old
03-25-2011, 12:34 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
With Malhotra's injury and a little creative juggling, the Canucks could conceivably fit Edler back in towards the end of the year. Malhotra is at $2.5m(LTIR), Bolduc at $500k(back to Manitoba) and Edler's hit is $3.25m. It'd be close...but I think they will likely wait for the playoffs.
I'm not sure if we can do this, can someone confirm?

It makes sense to me that we could put Malhotra on retroactive LTIR since on the date of the injury there were still 10 games remaining in the season. Is this correct? I imagine Malhotra's LTIR will only be activated should Edler be ready to go.

Can someone confirm the call-up rules? To fit Edler in we'd need to send down some guys, are we allowed to call them back up come playoffs or does our call-up limit exist there too? I'm unfamiliar with this rule.

Old
03-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blane Youngblood View Post
It's not questionable at all. It's basically how the rules are setup.

Think about it, you are allowed to go over the cap while someone is hurt, so you can sign a replacement but to bring a player back, you need to get under the cap with them in the lineup, i.e. you need to either keep the player off the roster, or send their replacement down. The Canucks are choosing to keep the injured player off the roster.
Given that, couldn't we have had a few more guys "go down" prior to the deadline and stay on LTIR until playoffs? We'd have a pretty stacked roster. I'm sure if we did that, the league would intervene. The point is, this is in a sense salary circumvention, so technically it's against the rules. Keep in mind, salary circumvention isn't clearly defined in the CBA, so it's essentially how it is perceived by the league, and then decided specifically by an arbitrator.

Old
03-25-2011, 01:24 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Alain Vigneault's take on injuries.
"I don't think our guys are getting the credit they deserve," Vigneault said after Thursday's practice in suburban Atlanta. "We're sixth in the league in man games lost to injury. Everybody in front of us who has more man games lost aren't in the playoffs."

"We have used the most players in the league this year and we're still No. 1. So I think this group deserves a lot of credit for the adversity they have faced night in and night out."
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/C...#ixzz1Hb066P4Y
Not quite true according to Mirtle. Nashville has had more injuries. Nonetheless, the Canucks have dealt with major adversity this year.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1955920/

Old
03-25-2011, 02:44 PM
cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
Not quite true according to Mirtle. Nashville has had more injuries. Nonetheless, the Canucks have dealt with major adversity this year.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1955920/
is anybody out for the Preds right now?
could have drawn from an older stat. Canucks could now be ahead of Nashville in man games lost

Closed Thread