HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Ed Rendell calls out GQ Magazine for bad mouthing Philly fans

Old
03-23-2011, 07:06 PM
Mgkibbles

vCash: 500
Philadelphia fans are passionate, but we're also bigger *******s than anywhere else - besides maybe New York. But at this point I don't care about these articles. I don't feel the need to defend our fans, many bring the criticism on themselves, and then wonder why journalists see a "crappy Philadelphia fan" story as an easy write.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 07:26 PM
CTU2fan

As an ex-Whaler fan one of the things that drew me to the Flyers (not the main thing, that was mostly team history and Ron Hextall) was that Philly fans are so passionate. I'm a fan of the Boston teams (other than the Bruins, obviously), and Philly fans to me are a lot like Boston fans when it comes to loyalty, knowledge, and passion. Plus we've got that common enemy, New York.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 01:32 AM
KillerKampfer*

Well any fans who want to be the "best" need to have their hats thrown into the mix for the "worst" as well. Wear it as a badge of pride.

Ive been to games in Philly and respect the fans. The point of being a fan is to create a hostile environment for the opposition. Philly does it well enough. The isolated idiots get enough press to ruin it for an otherwise good fanbase but they do make up part of it.

If you want to wear a jersey and not be bothered buy expensive seats. If you want to sit in cheap seats in another teams jersey expect insults and maybe a beer thrown. If you want to sit in cheap seats in a jersey and yell back expect to get hit by someone and thrown out. Way it should be IMO.

When I watched my team lose to Montreal in game 7 in Montreal I said I would be back for the next elimination game. When we were up 3-0 on them the next year I didnt bother because its not a meaningful hockey game a first round game in a series that was over and I would be asking for trouble wanting to sit in the Bell Center and cheer for my team and bask in thier misery it would not have been going to see a great hockey game. This year with the Pax/Chara incident it would be asking for trouble even more. Might still go but the jersey will only be worn if I buy expensive seats and I am not parking a car with Mass plates on the street. In Philly you have to pick the right parking lot if you drive down but that should be obvious and someone should research the preferred one for away fans should you be going to a huge playoff game where people will gladly smash in your windshield if their team was just eliminated.

Can't be the best without also being the worst. Never respected the Phillies anywhere near your other three teams and still don't so I think others might share the same feelings and hate on the reaction they get now. Other 3 are real teams *76ers only when they have a star to provide their identity like Dr J, Barkley, AI* the worst one is your recent champion.

People would understand if it was the Eagles who won IMO and they'd be getting praised as being great fans. There isnt a long time national presence for the Phillies and its not a city anyone in the northeast is going to root for if they aren't from there. Flyers, 76ers, Eagles have had enough great players and been relevant enough recently, people remember all Rieds lost NFC championships before he got to the big game.

You guys popping your cherry after a significant wait in all sports was a little different from when it happened to us and I saw Boston win its first champion but Tom "shoeless joe" Brady wasnt yet a ***** in 2001 and we went worst to first and epitomized whats right in sports. Shame Kraft has been in Vegas's pocket going back to when McNabb threw the Superbowl and took his time on that drive to make sure to cover the spread but not try to win. I mean is there any bigger way for a man to ruin winning the offensive NFL MVP award after a truly amazing season than Brady did its disgusting to all of us who wish we could have been sports legends even people up here are embarrassed by him. Noone wants to see those pictures and hair on somone they look up to. And thats after an amazing season.

KillerKampfer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 02:32 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKampfer View Post
Well any fans who want to be the "best" need to have their hats thrown into the mix for the "worst" as well. Wear it as a badge of pride.

Ive been to games in Philly and respect the fans. The point of being a fan is to create a hostile environment for the opposition. Philly does it well enough. The isolated idiots get enough press to ruin it for an otherwise good fanbase but they do make up part of it.

If you want to wear a jersey and not be bothered buy expensive seats. If you want to sit in cheap seats in another teams jersey expect insults and maybe a beer thrown. If you want to sit in cheap seats in a jersey and yell back expect to get hit by someone and thrown out. Way it should be IMO.

When I watched my team lose to Montreal in game 7 in Montreal I said I would be back for the next elimination game. When we were up 3-0 on them the next year I didnt bother because its not a meaningful hockey game a first round game in a series that was over and I would be asking for trouble wanting to sit in the Bell Center and cheer for my team and bask in thier misery it would not have been going to see a great hockey game. This year with the Pax/Chara incident it would be asking for trouble even more. Might still go but the jersey will only be worn if I buy expensive seats and I am not parking a car with Mass plates on the street. In Philly you have to pick the right parking lot if you drive down but that should be obvious and someone should research the preferred one for away fans should you be going to a huge playoff game where people will gladly smash in your windshield if their team was just eliminated.

Can't be the best without also being the worst. Never respected the Phillies anywhere near your other three teams and still don't so I think others might share the same feelings and hate on the reaction they get now. Other 3 are real teams *76ers only when they have a star to provide their identity like Dr J, Barkley, AI* the worst one is your recent champion.

People would understand if it was the Eagles who won IMO and they'd be getting praised as being great fans. There isnt a long time national presence for the Phillies and its not a city anyone in the northeast is going to root for if they aren't from there. Flyers, 76ers, Eagles have had enough great players and been relevant enough recently, people remember all Rieds lost NFC championships before he got to the big game.

You guys popping your cherry after a significant wait in all sports was a little different from when it happened to us and I saw Boston win its first champion but Tom "shoeless joe" Brady wasnt yet a ***** in 2001 and we went worst to first and epitomized whats right in sports. Shame Kraft has been in Vegas's pocket going back to when McNabb threw the Superbowl and took his time on that drive to make sure to cover the spread but not try to win. I mean is there any bigger way for a man to ruin winning the offensive NFL MVP award after a truly amazing season than Brady did its disgusting to all of us who wish we could have been sports legends even people up here are embarrassed by him. Noone wants to see those pictures and hair on somone they look up to. And thats after an amazing season.
Maybe I'm not understanding what you're getting at with that statement, but you do realize the Phillies are the oldest team in baseball (and any of the other major sports for that matter), right?

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 06:14 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
Maybe I'm not understanding what you're getting at with that statement, but you do realize the Phillies are the oldest team in baseball (and any of the other major sports for that matter), right?
Pretty sure he just means that the Phillies have sucked for the last 500 years with the exception of recent history and a few sporadic seasons throughout. Haha.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 09:14 AM
Stonehands77

I love when people declare Philly fans "the worst/scummiest", yet I don't recall a single incident in Philly where fans went on the field and attacked a coach, like what happened in Chicago. Or how Jimmy Johnson got pelted with snow and ice balls at the end of a NY-Dallas game. Or Jeff Carter getting hit by a plastic beer bottle in Washington?

Meh, the whole thing is further evidence that the media in the US has become lazy and disinterested as a whole. Yes, let's repeat stories from when my dad was in high school. My dad, who turned 60 last year. "Oh, they had a jail in the stadium." Uhh, it turns out that something like half of all NFL stadiums do. And most baseball stadiums have "holding areas" for fans who need to be detained until police can take them to the real jail. So, what's your point again?

Oh, and props to Ed Rendell for finally producing an article that wasn't terrible. Good job, Eddie!

Stonehands77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 03:12 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Whens the last time Philly fans drove a potential free agent away by harassing their wife? ohhhhhhhhhhhhh

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 03:16 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
I love when people declare Philly fans "the worst/scummiest", yet I don't recall a single incident in Philly where fans went on the field and attacked a coach, like what happened in Chicago. Or how Jimmy Johnson got pelted with snow and ice balls at the end of a NY-Dallas game. Or Jeff Carter getting hit by a plastic beer bottle in Washington?

Meh, the whole thing is further evidence that the media in the US has become lazy and disinterested as a whole. Yes, let's repeat stories from when my dad was in high school. My dad, who turned 60 last year. "Oh, they had a jail in the stadium." Uhh, it turns out that something like half of all NFL stadiums do. And most baseball stadiums have "holding areas" for fans who need to be detained until police can take them to the real jail. So, what's your point again?

Oh, and props to Ed Rendell for finally producing an article that wasn't terrible. Good job, Eddie!
When we eliminated...Buffalo? a few years back, someone NAILED one of their coaches with a beer.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 03:16 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
also, philly teams have one of the biggest fan bases in all of sports (id guess top 5?) there always seesm to be a good amount of philly fans in opposing areans, so while there is more of us, the odds of an idiot doing something stupid are greater too.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 03:43 PM
infidelappel*

Scum bags are everywhere.

Wow, 'scum bags' as one word is censored on here?

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 03:52 PM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
When we eliminated...Buffalo? a few years back, someone NAILED one of their coaches with a beer.
As long as it was Lindy Ruff no one will complain about that.

Stonehands77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 04:07 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
As long as it was Lindy Ruff no one will complain about that.
I forget completely if it was him. I don't even know for sure it was against Buffalo. If I remember right, the coach wanted to go over the glass.

Old
03-24-2011, 05:39 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Hmm. I think I could take Lindy Ruff.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 05:43 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

You want to see proof that Philly fans are at least the most loyal? Look no further than the 2006-07 NHL attendance records and see that the Flyers ranked #7 in the league at 98.9% despite having their worst record in team history.

Old
03-24-2011, 05:50 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post

It's ok. Whenever you want to use the word, just substitute "scumburgh" instead.

ShotScore* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 08:23 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post

BUT PHILLY FANS BOOED SANTA!

Old
03-24-2011, 09:02 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
BUT PHILLY FANS BOOED SANTA!
He was drunk and acting like an a-hole to the crowd.

ShotScore* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 09:45 PM
Dorny12

I was at the "Santa Game" and it was no big deal at the time. A dinky little Christmas Parade around the track at Franklin Field at halftime and the Santa float at the end was really pathetic looking. There was snow in the stands so some people threw snowballs - no one guy knocked the hat clean off his head. It wasn't any commotion until Howard Cosell brought it up when the Eagles played the Giants on Monday Night Football 2 years later at Franklin Field (I was at that game too) and that started the whole bad rep thing. And Cosell ended up stinking drunk in the press box that night and puked all over the place. True story.

Dorny12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:24 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
also, philly teams have one of the biggest fan bases in all of sports (id guess top 5?) there always seesm to be a good amount of philly fans in opposing areans, so while there is more of us, the odds of an idiot doing something stupid are greater too.
I don't think that's accurate, or at least demonstrable. Football stadia are significantly bigger than any other sports venue (of the big 4), followed by baseball, and hockey and basketball are identical. The average 2009 attendance figures are: football - 67,498; baseball - 30,298; basketball - 17,497; hockey - 17,476. Factor in that football has far fewer games per season, but baseball has almost twice as many.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 10:31 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I don't think that's accurate, or at least demonstrable. Football stadia are significantly bigger than any other sports venue (of the big 4), followed by baseball, and hockey and basketball are identical. The average 2009 attendance figures are: football - 67,498; baseball - 30,298; basketball - 17,497; hockey - 17,476. Factor in that football has far fewer games per season, but baseball has almost twice as many.
I disagree.

Now what?

Old
03-24-2011, 10:41 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
I disagree.

Now what?
I recognize the gravity of your finely detailed and multi-nuanced argument, which is compelling on so many levels. I believe my best approach to rebuttal is some sort of obesity-related insult about your mother.

Old
03-24-2011, 10:50 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
I recognize the gravity of your finely detailed and multi-nuanced argument, which is compelling on so many levels. I believe my best approach to rebuttal is some sort of obesity-related insult about your mother.
And then we duel at dawn with rapiers.

Old
03-24-2011, 10:55 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
And then we duel at dawn with rapiers.
Well, I'll set my alarm, but I tend to hit the snooze a lot. I do have to ask: Do you suspect me to attack with Capa Ferro?

Old
03-24-2011, 11:27 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Well, I'll set my alarm, but I tend to hit the snooze a lot. I do have to ask: Do you suspect me to attack with Capa Ferro?
Doesn't matter, I already know you aren't actually left handed.

edit: neither am I

Old
03-25-2011, 06:06 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
He was drunk and acting like an a-hole to the crowd.
Shoulda dropped one of these in...