HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jaques Martin: Coaching discussion

Old
03-22-2011, 12:24 AM
habsjunkie2*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Yes, it's very inexpensive to go watch a soccer game during the Champion's league. Almost as little 100, and you should get about the crappiest seat.
Oh, and for an unexciting game, they're able to sell out Stadium that holds 100 000 seats. Man, can you imagine if that sport was actually exciting!
You think the atmosphere is great at the Bell Center?..Well, it's 100% pure horse crap compared to the ambiance at a Soccer game. Surely, that's because it's so damn boring on the pitch.

Just because you don't enjoy it doesn't make it unexciting.

I'm excited to see our team play and I appreciate a team playing a strong defensive game. There's more to hockey than just scoring goals and fighting. Just like there's more to MMA than striking. A good stand up fight might be more exciting to you, but it doesn't mean a ground fight is unexciting, at all. Same thing here.
Not even close to the same thing, but anyways I'm not gonna debate whether soccer is exciting, the atmosphere at game probably is somewhat exciting, the game itself is boring.

Every country can play soccer because it's inexpensive, it's why it has the biggest following, this isn't debatable, but it wasn't really my point anyways, my point had more to do with JM's style than soccer. Maybe it was a bad example, but I think you got the idea.

Same thing as NJD being boring, they are, and it has everything to do with their coaching staff and very little to do with the players.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 05:33 AM
dcyhabs

D-men

Is Martin's system a cause of injury in defencemen?

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 06:16 AM
Santino

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcyhabs View Post
Is Martin's system a cause of injury in defencemen?
Yup. damn you Martin for telling our Dmen to block shots and battle in the corners for loose pucks

Santino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 06:46 AM
DDIHH

I gotta admit... we are winning games with Gomez as our first center, Mara and Picard in the lineup and Auld in net... the coaching staff can't be this bad

DDIHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 08:57 PM
XperHFB

So yeah I know we just lost 2-0 and most of you will be like WTF JAQUES??????? but seriously this is one game. Do not let your emotions take on your thoughts.

Jaques Martin is still a very good coach even after this game.

XperHFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:07 PM
holyhabs

Not complaining about anything but why exactly was Weber not in tonight? Didn't Martin say himself Weber would play vs less physical teams and Mara vs bigger ones? I think he should at least play over Picard.

holyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 09:11 PM
Gary320

Yeah, my only problem is sitting Weber over Picard. Eh...

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 01:24 AM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by XperHFB View Post
So yeah I know we just lost 2-0 and most of you will be like WTF JAQUES??????? but seriously this is one game. Do not let your emotions take on your thoughts.

Jaques Martin is still a very good coach even after this game.
so.....how do you like JM now?

not totally blaming him for the game vs Booins but he must take a large portion for not getting his team in the game.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 01:28 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 800
martin fired = lots of fans happy

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 02:06 AM
m00ks

So we keep him when we win and fire him when we loose....

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 02:08 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

My problem with JM is this: Gomez took a stupid penalty but Martin kept sending him on the ice. If Eller or Desharnais took that penalty, they would sat the whole 3rd period warming the bench for their teammates....

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 05:29 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
My problem with JM is this: Gomez took a stupid penalty but Martin kept sending him on the ice. If Eller or Desharnais took that penalty, they would sat the whole 3rd period warming the bench for their teammates....
as hard as that might be to imagine, eller and DD are not ready to play against the opponent's top lines. whenever that happens, DD gets eaten alive and eller just seems out of place - better than DD but out of place still.

so that means only gomez and pleks can play against top lines.

also keep in mind that these two fan favorite only look good because JM plays them against opponent's bottom lines

take off your homer glasses, and i know it hurts to admit it, but gomez cannot be replaced with either of them - yet.

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 09:20 AM
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
as hard as that might be to imagine, eller and DD are not ready to play against the opponent's top lines. whenever that happens, DD gets eaten alive and eller just seems out of place - better than DD but out of place still.

also keep in mind that these two fan favorite only look good because JM plays them against opponent's bottom lines

take off your homer glasses, and i know it hurts to admit it, but gomez cannot be replaced with either of them - yet.
Yeah, Gomez can play against top lines...and generate no points. You telling me Eller ain't ready? I'm sure that we could sustain better puck possession with him than Gomez because at least Eller can win a few ****ing battles for the punk while Gomez makes ONE good play just to hide of his other horrible plays.

MoldyCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 09:26 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
anyone in the habs organisation fired or traded = some portion of the fanbase will be happy for some reason or another.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 09:53 AM
holyhabs

im no fan of martin but i dont see the logic in blaming him with so many injuries and cammy and gomez being useless.

seriously, if i told you our players stats and with all the injuries would any have you even thought we would be in 6th just a point out of 5th?

Old
03-25-2011, 09:58 AM
holyhabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blame it on PK View Post
Yeah, Gomez can play against top lines...and generate no points. You telling me Eller ain't ready? I'm sure that we could sustain better puck possession with him than Gomez because at least Eller can win a few ****ing battles for the punk while Gomez makes ONE good play just to hide of his other horrible plays.
eller should simply just get more ice time. forget about him being on our 2nd line or 3rd line...at this point it really doesn't matter...he will always be paired up with a 2nd or 3rd pairing d because opposing teams will still focus more on gomez and gionta rather than eller and ak.

gomez cannot be playing all these minutes and not produce.

Old
03-25-2011, 10:02 AM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
So then the new guy comes in..

has a good stretch.. everyone likes him.
we start losing.. everyone hates him and asks him to get fired..

RINSE AND REPEAT

It's been the same god damn thing for 5-6 coaches. 2/4 of them have become successful coaches elsewhere. Firing and Hiring new coaches maybe just DOESN'T work in the long run?

Say what you want about Martin, you can give me ******** that he didn't do anything for us... but in two years, we've had more success than we've had in 10+ following our 93 cup win. So maybe, just maybe he's doing something right..

With all due respect to Halak, he really was awesome in the post-season.. but you know what else helped? Our defensive strategy. We were (are) not a deeply offensive scoring team and the coach knew it, so we went through the post-season with a simple defense first approach.. and it did wonders for us. I mean look at the Cap's series, how many of the shots from the Caps were close to the blue line? Seriously, the defense was outstanding in the post-season.. time to give credit to the coach..

I don't like ALOT of thinks Martin does, but in the end.. he has helped us win. In the end, firing him and hiring some new guy will do jack **** difference.

Is it going to make us all of a sudden start being the top scoring team in the league? NO. If you want to look for changes in the team, it's not with the coach that you start it with.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 10:03 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post

First, my homer glasses are off.

Second, what I said has is that Martin totally stops using them. Plus, I do remember watching Eller's line against the opponent top line and he was far from out of place. Because there's something with him and even Desharnais do that our 7M$ player can't and it's never give up on a play.

But anyway, I just wish Martin would use the kids better and stop overplaying mister -15.

And just to make it clear, I think he's a good coach and do not wish him fired

Old
03-25-2011, 10:14 AM
XperHFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
so.....how do you like JM now?

not totally blaming him for the game vs Booins but he must take a large portion for not getting his team in the game.
More then ever. At least now the habs wont take them lightly for the playoffs. Im prety sure will beat boston in round 1 and im very confident about it.

Stop being emo, we won 8-1 againts the wild 2 games before. By the end of the season do not expect more then 2-3 Wins. The guys need to be rested when the playoffs starts. Its simple logic you really want them Risking an injury just for some 2 points? I rather have them physicaly ready for the play offs and try to win the other 7 remaining games.

XperHFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 10:22 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
First, my homer glasses are off.

Second, what I said has is that Martin totally stops using them. Plus, I do remember watching Eller's line against the opponent top line and he was far from out of place. Because there's something with him and even Desharnais do that our 7M$ player can't and it's never give up on a play.

But anyway, I just wish Martin would use the kids better and stop overplaying mister -15.

And just to make it clear, I think he's a good coach and do not wish him fired
At this point, and this is not because I love Desharnais, but he is creating more than Gomez, same goes for Eller.

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 03:16 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
This...

At this point in the season, the double-standard has no place.

Inexcusable that our younger offensively talented playersbately get a sniff of PP time, when the vets are coming up with nothing

There's a lot to appreciate about JM, but IMO his in-game player management/philosophy is terrible.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 03:59 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
This...

At this point in the season, the double-standard has no place.

Inexcusable that our younger offensively talented playersbately get a sniff of PP time, when the vets are coming up with nothing

There's a lot to appreciate about JM, but IMO his in-game player management/philosophy is terrible.
This is called hitting the nail on the head.

Putting Plekanec on the #1 PP point with Wisniewski had been a disaster and Martin is too calm and collected to grab the game by the balls and make a necessary adjustment (like putting Subban where he belongs, on the first PP unit with Wisniewski).

His head is so hard you could break a goal post on it.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 04:36 PM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
This is called hitting the nail on the head.

Putting Plekanec on the #1 PP point with Wisniewski had been a disaster and Martin is too calm and collected to grab the game by the balls and make a necessary adjustment (like putting Subban where he belongs, on the first PP unit with Wisniewski).

His head is so hard you could break a goal post on it.
Martin and Goat have to be fired immediately after the season. They just don't get it. They think the league has to adopt our style of play,not the other way around.Aren't we all sick of being just above .500,and fighting for 6th-8th. We need another miracle goalie performance to advance

Last edited by jlgib21*: 03-25-2011 at 04:38 PM. Reason: adding
jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 07:14 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
Martin and Goat have to be fired immediately after the season. They just don't get it. They think the league has to adopt our style of play,not the other way around.Aren't we all sick of being just above .500,and fighting for 6th-8th. We need another miracle goalie performance to advance
We don't have the defense to play a up-tempo game. Defense is old and not fast enough to play like we did in 07-08. But in playoffs, the type of game we play is more effective.

Old
03-25-2011, 07:40 PM
habs1988

What is sad is that we will lose Kirk Muller next year...

habs1988 is offline   Reply With Quote