HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Im interested to see what Sather does this offseason

Old
03-24-2011, 01:55 PM
Dantes19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
How? 3/4ths of the board were wanting a LEGIT heavyweight. Shelley was what 36 and after the Donald Brashear fiasco and him hitting a wall at 37 it made sense to sign a younger guy in Boogard. He didnt work out, and that is proof Sather hasn't changed his ways??

"His ways" are bad free agent signings. I believe SBOB's point was that Sather has a long-standing track record making free agent mistakes, often-times with very large contracts.

And it shouldn't matter what this board wanted. Sather is paid to be GM and make smart decisions. You can't use the supposed will of the people as an excuse for his terrible free agent decision-making.

Dantes19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 01:55 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post

Wolski is a guy we can trade. If Torts is going to play him around 12 minutes a night, it is not worth keeping him. You can clear up 3.8 million dollars if we trade him in the offseason.

If they dump Boogaard in hartford, trade Wolski & buy out Drury rangers will have plenty of cap room. They can sign all their RFA's and go after Richards.
They can also buy out Wolski if they really need to. Because of his age the buy out is only 1/3 of the money, not 2/3.

Wojtek Wolski buyout from CapGeek.com

* 2011-12: $466,667
* 2012-13: $666,667

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 02:52 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes19 View Post
"His ways" are bad free agent signings. I believe SBOB's point was that Sather has a long-standing track record making free agent mistakes, often-times with very large contracts.

And it shouldn't matter what this board wanted. Sather is paid to be GM and make smart decisions. You can't use the supposed will of the people as an excuse for his terrible free agent decision-making.
Agreed completely. There is a reason HE is being paid to make SMART decisions and not us.

No matter what the masses say, its sathers responsibility to build a good team. If i **** up at work i can't be like well my friends told me to do this, if they dont even work for the same company.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 02:58 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
The salary cap has forced the youth movement. Otherwise you'd see every mercenary known to man on this team and still stuck in the "Dark Days"
you know thats right

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 02:59 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I understand they were signed before the cap. But they do show a pattern of behavior.
No question. It's like Sather's impulsively idiotic evil twin takes over for a month every year in July.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 03:02 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
My point is that you can't paint every player with the same brush. Not every player is in the same financial situation. I'm sure Naslund has a family but that didn't stop him from walking away from his contract, did it? Drury has made a lot of money here and despite what some people want to believe, I bet there are players who would feel guilty collecting a paycheck when their bodies don't allow them to perform anywhere close to the expectations that their contract demands.... Again, I think he will be bought out but I would not be floored/shocked if he willingly retired.
Oh I agree I wouldnt be surprised either if drury retired but I just dont see it happening. Naslund walked away from less money and he was a couple years older. I just dont think drury walks away from $5 million

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 03:05 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
How? 3/4ths of the board were wanting a LEGIT heavyweight. Shelley was what 36 and after the Donald Brashear fiasco and him hitting a wall at 37 it made sense to sign a younger guy in Boogard. He didnt work out, and that is proof Sather hasn't changed his ways??
If 3/4 of the board made the decisions, the Ranger wouldn't have Stepan as that picks was loathed. This is Sather's job.

Sather wanted to keep Shelley. Turns out the Flyers gave him a terrible contract. It had nothing to do with "Brashear fiasco" (BTW, who was responsible for that)?

Sather could have added a legit heavyweight without committing big money or multiple years.

And that shows that he has not changed his ways in throwing (too much) money at the problem.

03-24-2011, 03:05 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
They can also buy out Wolski if they really need to. Because of his age the buy out is only 1/3 of the money, not 2/3.

Wojtek Wolski buyout from CapGeek.com

* 2011-12: $466,667
* 2012-13: $666,667
I'm pretty sure there is no way that is happening.

03-24-2011, 04:31 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Yup. Handing out long, overpriced contracts to veterans. Many of us wanted a heavy, but not for 4 years at that kind of money.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 07:59 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Not real thrilled with committing a lot of years to a guy with concussion issues.
He's had one concussion. Lots of players played entire career with multiple concussions.

Richards is fine. Since returning he's got 6 points in 7 games and played 27 mins the other night.

This guy will make the Rangers a legit contender.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 01:16 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
He's had one concussion. Lots of players played entire career with multiple concussions.

Richards is fine. Since returning he's got 6 points in 7 games and played 27 mins the other night.

If it's OK by you I'm going to have my own opinion...you cannot ignore the long list of players whose careers were directly affected or ended by concussions. Each concussion leaves you with a higher probability of getting another one.

My opinion is to not commit long-term to a player like that.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 01:52 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post

Devil's advocate:

It starts with one concussion. One concussion makes the next more likely. And so on.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
If it's OK by you I'm going to have my own opinion...you cannot ignore the long list of players whose careers were directly affected or ended by concussions. Each concussion leaves you with a higher probability of getting another one.

My opinion is to not commit long-term to a player like that.
You have every right to have your own opinion, even if it would lead to this team being painfully mediocre for the next several years.

If your doomsday scenario comes to fruition, which I dont think it will, you place Richards on LTIR or he retires and, WAHLAH, cap space is back.

And that leaves you back at square one, where we are right now - in DIRE NEED of a legitimate #1 center.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 04:41 PM
nyr5186

I haven't read most of this thread, but I'll pose this question: if you're Sather, do you prefer to sign Richards to a shorter deal/higher cap hit (say, 4 years 32 mil) or longer deal/lower cap (7 years 42 mil)? And also, which is more desirable to a player?

nyr5186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 11:04 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Not keen on Richards, he smells like another massive failure. Most big free agents we bring in are massive failures.

And the heavyweight is overrated. Not big on handing out 2 million for a guy to get in 6 fights and do absolutely nothing else all year. I don't like those guys. I'd rather have a guy like Prust or Simmonds who fights when they have to but plays real hockey when they're nto fighting. Guys like Boogaard aren't hockey players.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 11:34 PM
satrabyk

I hav not watched Burns play all that much and from what i have he seems a pretty good D man but so is our young D man that have potential. You realize to get a guy like that we would have to overpay and u kno were we go from there.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 12:22 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
You have every right to have your own opinion, even if it would lead to this team being painfully mediocre for the next several years.
This team is not painfully mediocre right now IMO. They will get better in any case. Too much youth on the roster and in the pipe line. Some of it pretty skilled.

There will be no in between if we sign Richards. He will either put us in contention quickly, or it will be a total CF. But after watching the Rangers PP the last few months, I'm more in favor of an FA signing than I was before. The PP, passing, and any number of things get better on paper with him in the line up.

I actually think Hank figures into this decision in a big way. No question he is the elite talent on the team. Maybe the top goalie in the world. He's in his prime now, but how long does he stay there. With the right support cast Hank could steal the series that wins us the cup.

Maybe more than once.

If the Rangers could put together a pretty nice run this year it will be due to Hank. And but for a few PP goals they fell short of moving on, well that could decide things...if it hasn't already.

If Richards is available this gets interesting.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 12:33 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Oh I agree I wouldnt be surprised either if drury retired but I just dont see it happening. Naslund walked away from less money and he was a couple years older. I just dont think drury walks away from $5 million
It's only a difference of 1 year of age and $2 mil between Drury & Naslund's circumstances.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 02:03 AM
ilezia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
This team is not painfully mediocre right now IMO. They will get better in any case. Too much youth on the roster and in the pipe line. Some of it pretty skilled.

There will be no in between if we sign Richards. He will either put us in contention quickly, or it will be a total CF. But after watching the Rangers PP the last few months, I'm more in favor of an FA signing than I was before. The PP, passing, and any number of things get better on paper with him in the line up.

I actually think Hank figures into this decision in a big way. No question he is the elite talent on the team. Maybe the top goalie in the world. He's in his prime now, but how long does he stay there. With the right support cast Hank could steal the series that wins us the cup.

Maybe more than once.

If the Rangers could put together a pretty nice run this year it will be due to Hank. And but for a few PP goals they fell short of moving on, well that could decide things...if it hasn't already.

If Richards is available this gets interesting.
This is how I feel. Having watched this team play this season I feel like signing Richards could make us a serious contender for few years coming. However, at the same time I understand how others fear Richards will become another waste of cap space if he starts to decline mid his long-term contract (which he's gonna get no matter where he signs)

ilezia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 05:07 AM
Chalfdiggity3

I think if Richards becomes available you have to look very hard at signing him. I do see him as a player who would put us over the top and legit contenders for the cup. But i also see the problems with his concussion and his age. There for you offer a 3yr deal 21m, he gets his money and we get a contract length that is desirable.

I truly believe Drury will retire or will be bought out, and Redden we will see what happens with everything that he has said and his desire to want out of the AHL and back into the NHL or to play in Europe, we could actually end up with some solid capspace.

Sign our big name free agents, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Cally, Boyle, Feds. Sign Eminger for cheap to be our extra dman

Let the others go like Prospal, Gilroy, EC, and so on.

Look to trade for a Legit top liner or top 7 pick with a deal of... Wolski, our 2 2nds, our 1st rounder, and 1 of our d prospects.

Continue to infuse young talent into the squad, and allow Kundratek, V-Tank, Del Zotto, Pashnin, or a FA grab the 5th and 6th spot on defense.

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 09:35 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

If your doomsday scenario comes to fruition, which I dont think it will, you place Richards on LTIR or he retires and, WAHLAH, cap space is back.

And that leaves you back at square one, where we are right now - in DIRE NEED of a legitimate #1 center.
BTW it's "voila"

On a real note... LTIR doesn't work that way does it? Doesn't it just mean you can go over the cap by whatever you need to up to that player's salary? It's not like the contract disappears. It counts on the summer cap too no?

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 09:45 AM
NYR Viper

Simple solution():

Re-sign:
Dubinsky(4 years @ 3.8 million/year)
Callahan(4 years @ 3.5 million/year)
Sauer(2 years @ 1.3 million/year)
Boyle(2 years @ 1.8 million/year)
Eminger(1 year @ 1 million/year)

Let walk:
Prospal
Fedotenko
Gilroy
Frolov

Trade away/Waive:
Christensen
Avery

Sign:
Richards(5 years @ 6.4 million/season)
Markov(2 years @ 3.6 million/season)

Leaving the Rangers with the following line-up:

_____-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Wolski-Stepan-MZA
Boogaard/______-Boyle-Prust

Staal-Girardi
Markov-Sauer
McDonagh-________
Eminger

Hank
Biron

Let the following players battle for the open spots:
MDZ
Kundratek
McIlrath
Valentenko
Pashnin

Hagelin
Dupont
Weise
Kreider
Werek
Thomas
Grachev

Easy!

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 10:38 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

^^^ I think Feds is coming back Boyler.

Then Boogey man is gone, and that spot is open come training camp.

Don't really want Markov either, I still think he will command a hefty salary even though he was injured basically all year.

03-30-2011, 10:44 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
^^^ I think Feds is coming back Boyler.

Then Boogey man is gone, and that spot is open come training camp.

Don't really want Markov either, I still think he will command a hefty salary even though he was injured basically all year.
Where is Boogaard going?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 10:50 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Where is Boogaard going?
Hopefully:

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote