HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobby Holik

Closed Thread

Old
08-02-2005, 05:42 AM
Safir*

vCash: 500
FYI, Holik became an American a couple of years ago.

Old
08-02-2005, 06:18 AM
Krzysiek

Hi.It's my first post here.

About Sens and Holik or other UFA. I think that Sens will not sign aany big name. Of course, team like Senators need more media name player, but we don't have this one in this summer. I don't believe tha Muckler will aquire Holik or Modano, like I didn't believe in Roberts and Nieuwendyk.

If Sens will ink any UFA it will be no big name, just solid player. Orszagh will be the right guy IHMO.

Old
08-02-2005, 06:25 AM
Wisent

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn
Which Bobby Holik? The one that played great for New Jersey or the one that sucked for the Rangers?

He would be a gamble, but with his size and experience I believe the NJ Holik would be great in a Sens jersey. With every guy we add though somebody loses a job which in this case is likely White. But what happens to Kaigorodov if we sign a centre? Hopefully a decision is made soon on Kaigorodov whether he is coming to NA or not.

My guess is that we won't see a lot of change to this line up this season, some hockey experts are saying we have what it takes now to win the cup. If there is a change they will likely add one veteran to the roster either at LW or centre or a defenceman if Volchenkov doesn't come back.
Holik didn't suck, it was his contract.

Old
08-02-2005, 08:31 AM
Lexicon Devil

Hi Krzysiek. I agree that the Holik rumours seem unrealistic. I really like Orszagh, but I also think that we have enough players for the bottom two lines. We need someone who can play on the top-two lines, either centre or left wing. At this point it is looking like Gelinas is the best remaining option, although i fear he may be overpriced after a great playoffs with the Flames.

I don't know that players like Gratton and Scatchard are a big enough upgrade to justify taking on another contract.

Old
08-02-2005, 10:00 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Wow, a diffrence a few days make, Foote, Hatcher, Roberts and Neuindyke are all signed and I now doubt Ottawa gets Allison or Modano they seem a strech. So do, Guerin, Neidmayer, Fedorov and most of the other big name UFAs. Philly is getting bigger with the signing of Hatcher, Ratji and Therien and Kaigorodov may not come to NA, not looking too good.

If these are the choices left for us for a 2nd line centre (Holik, Lindros, Scatchard or Gratton) I would take Holik more or less because of his size and scoring ability but at the right price. I think Lindros would be a good addition at LW but not at centre because of his injury history, he brings size, grit and scoring but it would have to be at a reduced, affordable price. I like Scatchard's heart but I don't think that he has the speed nor the skill for the top two lines, I would put him on either the 3rd or 4th line centre position but is he even available? I don't like Gratton he is big and skillful but heartless, reminds me of a better Charlie Stevens. I also question Holik's heart but I think he could flourish with Hossa and Havlat.

Travis Green is also available as a 4th line centre with some size, scoring, irritating style, can win faceoffs and is an upgrade to Kelly. Our team is too small, we need to sign some size and Holik, Lindros and Green would all add size and grit to our line up of skill. But I doubt they do that, at this point they may only add one UFA and go with whomever is available from their prospect pool.

Havlat - Holik - Hossa - big scoring line, but will Smoke play centre this year?
Smolinski - Spezza - Alfredson - another good line.
Schaefer - Fisher - Bochenski - with Bochenski on this line will help with scoring.
Varada - Vermette - Neil - this is a waste of Vermette's talent

Old
08-02-2005, 10:19 AM
Lexicon Devil

Guerin and Fedorov aren't UFAs.

Old
08-02-2005, 10:32 AM
Ismellofhockey

Scatchard would certainly give us a very tough 3rd line and allow us to move Fisher on to the top 2 lines where he might not receive as much punishment.

With McCarty rumoured to be close to a deal in Calgary, I think it means they let Gelinas go, right now it seems from a couple press articles that Gelinas wants to be in Calgary but is waiting for word from the team as to whether or not he fits into their plans. Signing McCarty in a roster already stocked up in gritty forwards should certainly give him an answer.

IMO Scatchard would be best (hadn't realized he was a UFA), followed by Gelinas and then Nieminen or Orszagh as Krzysiek mentioned.
Scatchard is particularly interesting because he can drop the gloves, Gelinas because he's clutch and a leader, Orszagh because he works hard and has decent hands, Nieminen because he's another Varada.

Fisher - Spezza - Alfredsson
Havlat - Smolinski - Hossa
Schaefer - Scatchard - Varada
Kelly - Vermette - Neil

Old
08-02-2005, 01:17 PM
nneate

Holik is now a thrasher, scratch him off the list:\ Well on an interesting note look for Atlanta to make the playoffs this year! Hopefully in place of the leafs.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...02_122646_4724

Old
08-02-2005, 08:33 PM
sensens

Seems to be about $4.25M/year, which is pretty much right where I'd pegged him. Honestly, any talk of Holik 'signing cheap' with anyone was utter nonsense.

I realize that seemingly nobody agrees with me, but I still say we should take a look at Damphousse on the 2nd line... he signed a 1yr/$2M deal with Colorado last year, and may well be the most prominent veteran capable of playing top-6 minutes. The fact that he's also a prominent francophone certainly doesn't hurt. I think $1.5M would get that deal done, and would be well worth it.

Old
08-02-2005, 08:43 PM
Don Draper

minus his playoffs, when he was clearly playing for a contract, how is damphousse any better than smolinski?

Closed Thread