HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

drinking in the locker room?

Old
03-24-2011, 03:30 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Let's go Albany

vCash: 500
At my rink they gave us a 24 pack for winning the championship.

Henrique Iglesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 06:11 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
I have honestly never seen a no alcohol rule enforced apart from at a rink where they have a bar and want you to buy the stuff from them. It's called beer league for a reason.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 08:36 PM
Crosbyfan

Used to enjoy nothing more than a beer after a game.

Sometimes though (couple times a year in one rink in particular) coming in at 5:30 in the morning to coach Peewees at 6:00am and seeing a dressing room totally littered with beer cans, I gotta ask "what in hell were they thinking".

A little common sense goes a long way.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 08:49 AM
nukethewhales
gotta nuke something

Our backup goalie keeps beer in his water bottle while sitting on the bench. I guess when you're a backup goalie for a rec league, you have to get by somehow.

nukethewhales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 09:14 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Haha not a hockey story, but one I was reminded of.

When I was in college, we had a club lacrosse team. We were terrible, and got very very little support. To field a decent lacrosse team, you need around 25-30 guys, minimum. We would have 10 show up for games, 11 if we were lucky. Ironman lacrosse. Imagine playing a whole hockey game without line changes. It was rough.

So, we kept an alumni roster. No one checked rosters before games since it was a club league, and we'd make phone calls before games to see if any alumni wanted to come back and play. One game we were particularly desperate because we didn't think we'd have enough players, so we called everyone. Eventually we tracked down some former grad student who was now like 30 but was willing to come out.

The next day, we show up, and we have 10 guys. Unfortunate, but we were used to it. But then the alumni mentioned earlier shows up. With a keg. He plops it down on the bench like its a gatorade cooler, pulls a sleeve of cups out of his gear bag, and puts his pads on.

The game was a disaster. It was amazing we didn't get thrown out of the league. I just remember my dad came to that game and he thought it was the funniest thing he ever saw. The alumni kept drinking all game, and we decided to only put him out there for faceoffs (which he was amazing at, even after a number of beers).

I'm sure I'll get some holier-than-thou replies to this story, but I just had to share anyway.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 09:38 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
Haha not a hockey story, but one I was reminded of.

When I was in college, we had a club lacrosse team. We were terrible, and got very very little support. To field a decent lacrosse team, you need around 25-30 guys, minimum. We would have 10 show up for games, 11 if we were lucky. Ironman lacrosse. Imagine playing a whole hockey game without line changes. It was rough.

So, we kept an alumni roster. No one checked rosters before games since it was a club league, and we'd make phone calls before games to see if any alumni wanted to come back and play. One game we were particularly desperate because we didn't think we'd have enough players, so we called everyone. Eventually we tracked down some former grad student who was now like 30 but was willing to come out.

The next day, we show up, and we have 10 guys. Unfortunate, but we were used to it. But then the alumni mentioned earlier shows up. With a keg. He plops it down on the bench like its a gatorade cooler, pulls a sleeve of cups out of his gear bag, and puts his pads on.

The game was a disaster. It was amazing we didn't get thrown out of the league. I just remember my dad came to that game and he thought it was the funniest thing he ever saw. The alumni kept drinking all game, and we decided to only put him out there for faceoffs (which he was amazing at, even after a number of beers).

I'm sure I'll get some holier-than-thou replies to this story, but I just had to share anyway.
not from me. I've seen games like that, and it's unintentional comedy at it's best as long as it doesn't get out of control. I should also throw in the disclaimer that I wouldn't personally do it. The last time I drank before a game I was dehydrated by the first period after a few beers.

I'm not one who drinks before the game or even in the locker room. Every once in awhile I might do beers elsewhere if the locker room agrees to it. But for the most of it, it's 9-5 jobs in the morning, or in my case it's wake up at 445 to be at work at 6.

Last edited by iamjs: 03-25-2011 at 10:06 AM.
iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 09:50 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
not from me. I've seen games like that, and it's unintentional comedy at it's best as long as it doesn't get out of control.
In my teams defense, the majority of us didn't have anything more than a beer at halftime. It was really only the alumni who was getting wasted. The best part was no matter how much he drank he kept winning faceoffs.

I'm pretty sure the score ended up being something in the range of 20-2. About average for our team. We managed to win one game while I was there.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 11:01 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah drinking before games is a disaster. Feel like crap. I'm competitive out there and want to play my best. Afterwards is another story though

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 02:27 PM
WickedWrister

No, of course not.

Drinking in the locker room after a hockey game is pretty irresponsible, don't you think? I mean first off, you're definitely breaking some rink rules, but you're also setting a bad example for any young children that might be at the game. You come out of the locker room smelling like alcohol. What a bunch of losers.

I play in a college league and it's pretty much understood that you have to drink after the game. I don't think I've been to a game in my 2 years that there wasn't some type of drinking going on, whether it be beer or occasionally liquor.
My first ever college game our goalie showed up hammered. Absolutely destroyed. He was barely able to stand up in his crease, let alone stop any pucks. He had the foulest smelling liquor in his water bottle on his net, the thing smelled like pure gasoline. We were definitely the superior team but lost 17-6.

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote