HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers agree to terms with Dylan McIlrath

Old
03-18-2011, 03:04 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
You think he's making the team this fall? That sure would be an impressive feat for a player who by nearly all accounts was years from ready when drafted.
And is still not ready now. No one talks about his season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
it wouldn't be the worst idea to let him learn, trial by fire, in the NHL.
Yeah, rushing project players never hurt us. Ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I think that we are seeing a greater influx of younger players to the NHL for 2 reasons, the first and most important being that they are cheaper for at least 3 years. Secondly, and not surprising is that what we see as rookie mistakes vetrans have been making and the thought process is that is, if we are getting very similar play from a vet and a rookie, save the money the Vet is going to cost you and play the kid.

that just my pov
I agree. The money will push some teams to rush guys through prematurely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
If Cam Fowler can play in the NHL with his horrid defensive play, McIlrath can play in the NHL at 19. Its just a matter of if the Rangers choose to let him go through the growing pains there or take the conservative approach.
Fowler is very good in the offensive zone at the pro level. DM is nothing at the pro level, that's the difference. He's not even the best Dman on his WHL team this year, mull that over for a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Although signing Brad Richards and then throwing a 19 year old thats nowhere near ready for fulltime NHL duty would be par for the course when it comes to the mixed messages this organization has been sending over the years, I just dont see it happening.

Same goes for all the Kreider, Hagelin, Thomas, Werek, etc talk - if you're expecting all or most of them to make contributions to the big club next season, expect to be disappointed.

Do we need to look any further than Del Zotto's issues to see the pitfalls of rushing along a young player too quickly?
Mixed messages, more like delusions of grandeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
I was really surprised at how they treated McIlrath this summer. Keeping at the table for the 2nd round, having him be on an NYC tour bus, it seemed he received extra special treatment for some reason. Maybe they wanted to get him on his good side.
Motivation. Much like the contract right now being the carrot on the stick.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 03:15 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Although signing Brad Richards and then throwing a 19 year old thats nowhere near ready for fulltime NHL duty would be par for the course when it comes to the mixed messages this organization has been sending over the years, I just dont see it happening.

Same goes for all the Kreider, Hagelin, Thomas, Werek, etc talk - if you're expecting all or most of them to make contributions to the big club next season, expect to be disappointed.

Do we need to look any further than Del Zotto's issues to see the pitfalls of rushing along a young player too quickly?
No0t really. I think you are oversimplifying what's going on there. Richards is a perennial 90 pt scorer not EC signed to basically fill a spot and hope he can play well or Feds or frolov. Spots are filling up with a few exceptions notably a top C. We don't have a young guy who can fill that spot. The spots that our guys can fill theya re being used to fill...there's nothign mixed message wise there at all. not this year at least but this is one year we will def see if they stick to that.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 07:38 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I would be surprised because it would show a huge jump in ability that from all accounts hasn't been born out by his play in the WHL this year. It's not impossible for it to happen...you mention Stepan and it's true most of us (and people who watched a lot of college hockey) thought he was not ready and left school too soon. But Stepan at least had several years of development, dominated at the highest level for his age group, and is an incredibly smart player.

I think McIlrath spends one more year in the WHL and it'll be good for him.

I do kind of agree, and I'm generally the one towing the line of "let's wait and see how they do in camp", I just think it'd be surprising if he's truly ready. This signing seems more like a "taking care of business" signing rather than getting him ready to make the team next year.

We say that stuff a lot and then the Rangers sign a bunch of guys to fill out the roster. There's no way that the Rangers will roll with 4-5 rookies next year
The Rangers are rolling 4 rookies on the roster right now.

I didn't say all of Thomas, Hagelin, Werek, and Grachev will be on the team next year.

I said: Thomas, Hagelin, Werek, or Grachev. 'Or' implied one of the bunch.

Kreider WILL be on the team next year.

And McIlrath will be given an opportunity.

By who's accounts was he going to take years? HFBoards posters? The Rangers never said they felt he would take years.

In Kreider's case, the Rangers said right after they drafted him that they felt he could play the pro game right away.

They tried signing him last summer.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 03-18-2011 at 08:05 PM.
SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 09:11 PM
CH2

I wonder how good Moose Jaw is supposed to be next year. If they're going to be not great again I would think that McIlrath might not develop as he could on a better team.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 07:48 AM
Dorado*

Is it Possible the Rags signed him to his ElC now instead of waiting because of CBA issues ? This kid is going nowhere near the NHL anytime soon . Why not just sign Wade Belak if you want a 6'5 traffic cone that fights in your line up . Let's see if he even gets an invite to the U20 National team this coming year let alone the NHL . OMG , I'm glad All mighty Gordie Clark likes him and I'm sure he will develop but he is light years from being even a 3rd pair DMaN in the NHL . A superior skater like McDonagh who has played well has been getting beat more lately what do you think a 6'5 average skater will do . Clear the crease all you want if you consistently get beat to picks and to the outside you are not an NHL er

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 09:24 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Dorado why root for the team with a outlook like that? He is a 18 yr old kid with number 2 defensemen potential and your calling him a parking cone? Your the one that needs to grow up.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 09:29 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

He played very good in Traverse City when paired with McD.

He'll be fine.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 10:11 AM
Dorado*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Dorado why root for the team with a outlook like that? He is a 18 yr old kid with number 2 defensemen potential and your calling him a parking cone? Your the one that needs to grow up.
Top ten picks IMO
Are not for projects which at the NHL level I see this kid being . As a near 30 year season ticket holder I'll reserve the right to pass judgement on any player I want .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 11:03 AM
JeffMangum
Debaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
Top ten picks IMO
Are not for projects which at the NHL level I see this kid being . As a near 30 year season ticket holder I'll reserve the right to pass judgement on any player I want .
How does that matter when passing judgment on a player who has never played a game in a Ranger sweater?

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 11:30 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Mcilrath can't play for the Whale next year, right?

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2011, 11:31 AM
JeffMangum
Debaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Mcilrath can't play for the Whale next year, right?
No, either junior or NHL. 2012-2013 is the earliest he can.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2011, 12:09 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Here's the official numbers for McIlrath. Three year entry level contract that has a cap hit of $1.37 million if he's playing with the NHL team, $637,500 of it is performance bonuses.

http://www.snyrangersblog.com/2011/0...ylan-mcilrath/

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 06:36 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

McIlrath signed a curious contract. $650,000 NHL salaries in the first two years and then the $900,000 max in the third year. The performance bonuses of $637,500 are a little high. Usually it's the max in all three years and less bonus money. What type of bonuses is McIlrath going to reach? The offensive guys reach their bonuses.

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1943

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 09:18 AM
Levitate

Injure X amount of players, get paid

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 09:29 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Forwards and defensemen are different animals. You have 12 forwards and it's easy to break a player in. Forard is also an easier position to learn. You can't hide a defenseman with only 6 dressed and sometimes it takes 5-6 years for a defenseman to truly learn his craft. Apples and oranges.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 09:36 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Forwards and defensemen are different animals. You have 12 forwards and it's easy to break a player in. Forard is also an easier position to learn. You can't hide a defenseman with only 6 dressed and sometimes it takes 5-6 years for a defenseman to truly learn his craft. Apples and oranges.
We've been hiding Gilroy for 2 years now, to be honest.

When a third pair gets 10 minutes, the fate of the team is not always resting on their shoulders.

03-25-2011, 10:11 AM
mullichicken25

I see no reason to rush him into the league

i'd imagine there is probablly only going to be one or 2 spots open next year with Del Zotto more than likely getting one of them

Let McCabe and Gilroy walk and try to sign emminger for 1 year reasonably cheap, if that cant be done then i'd imagine one of Valentenko/Kundratek could handle 3rd line minutes

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 10:44 AM
MESSY11

Guys anyone know how he was this year I have seen the numbers so thats not what i'm talking about has anyone seen or hear anything credible about his game this year has he improved has his game developed as expected or has he regressed because the numbers have considering that most of his stat from last year he got at the end of the season and thus was one of the main reasons why he went so high

MESSY11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 11:42 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MESSY11 View Post
Guys anyone know how he was this year I have seen the numbers so thats not what i'm talking about has anyone seen or hear anything credible about his game this year has he improved has his game developed as expected or has he regressed because the numbers have considering that most of his stat from last year he got at the end of the season and thus was one of the main reasons why he went so high
mods feel free to delete my post, but i just had to point out what just maybe the longest single sentance i've read on this board...carry on

but to keep this on topic, im curious about the same things, i feel like i've heard mixed reports of his season

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

In Kreider's case, the Rangers said right after they drafted him that they felt he could play the pro game right away.

They tried signing him last summer.
The second sentence of this is true. The first sentence is not true at all. The Rangers had hoped that Kreider would play in the Q, but he wanted to go to BC. He had amazing speed and pro size, but he was very raw. No one on the Rangers that I know was ready to take Kreider from prep hockey to the NHL.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
The second sentence of this is true. The first sentence is not true at all. The Rangers had hoped that Kreider would play in the Q, but he wanted to go to BC. He had amazing speed and pro size, but he was very raw. No one on the Rangers that I know was ready to take Kreider from prep hockey to the NHL.
Maybe by "pro game" they meant merely any professional league, as in AHL rather than NHL.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 11:54 AM
Pizza

Inside the organization I'm assuming their is an understanding that McIlrath needs plenty of time and patience to realize his potential.

If he gets that from the Rangers than the chances he turns out close to what they wanted are pretty good at least. Schony has played a huge part in Sauer and McD's development.

I'm confident they will do the right thing. Another year in the dub and two or three years in the A.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Inside the organization I'm assuming their is an understanding that McIlrath needs plenty of time and patience to realize his potential. If he gets that from the Rangers than the chances he turns out close to what they wanted are pretty good at least.
I don't know. They showed nice patience with Sangs.

Quote:
Schony has played a huge part in Sauer and McD's development.
Mcd spent a few months with him, thats a huge part of his development?

Also, Sangs spent alot of time with Shoeny

Quote:
I'm confident they will do the right thing. Another year in the dub and two or three years in the A.
Still not that confident.

My biggest fear is that they rush him. Hope Sauer stays healthy, he's holding the spot until DM is ready. If Sauer somehows gets hurt again they may be tempted to get the big kid here sooner, which could be a bad move.

Old
03-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I don't know. They showed nice patience with Sangs.

Mcd spent a few months with him, thats a huge part of his development?

Also, Sangs spent alot of time with Shoeny

Still not that confident.

My biggest fear is that they rush him. Hope Sauer stays healthy, he's holding the spot until DM is ready. If Sauer somehows gets hurt again they may be tempted to get the big kid here sooner, which could be a bad move.
Regarding Sangs: In the main, the Rangers have showed patience with their prospects. There was something w/Sangs that they did not like. I've never heard a reliable explanation as to why they gave up on him.

There is little reason to be concerned about the Rangers rushing a prospect: Cally, Dubi, Arty, Girardi, and Sauer, all spent significant time there. McD seems to have benefited from a some what shorter stay. Stepan and Zuuc have been hot and cold, but defensively they have not been a liability.

The only regrets I have development wise are Korpikowski and Montoya. But players get it and blossom at different times.

You can't win them all, but the Rangers are showing a far better record in developing prospects than just a few years ago.

I am very confident that they will bring McIlrath along in a way that helps his development.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 03:47 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Well, lets just say I'm not as confident