HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Zuccarell-uh-oh

Old
03-25-2011, 10:13 AM
The Mouth

vCash: 500
I guess I'm ahead of the curve again

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 10:13 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
Avery BETTER be in there over Zuc against a physical team like Boston.
Rangers sure have missed Avery. Yup. Bigtime.

If he does come back tomorrow and offers nothing other than sort of running a goalie, he should not dress again this season.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 10:26 AM
E Nixson
Powered by Intel

Zuc is a likable character, but i am not sold on him like most of the Ranger fan base. He passes very well, his play in the neutral zone/ is below average at best. He does backcheck hard, but he needs to be better if he expects to stay in the NHL with his size.

E Nixson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 10:35 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
He's struggling out there in all zones. Torts is trying to get the team in the playoffs. I don't think it goes beyond that. If MZA is going to ever be a productive full time NHLer, it's going to be a process.
I cant agree with this completely.

I think hes had some very good backchecking moments breaking up plays at key times. I think were he's having problems is general positioning against teams with a lot of speed and creative players, on the wall in the offensive zone, and getting shots to the net.

Hes starting to try and get a little too cute out there. Its tough for a smaller player to battle night in and night out but thats what it takes in this league. His heart is there, no doubt. But he is still developing and learning this system and league - dont forget that. Hes got a ways to go.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 10:39 AM
Nosferatos

Oh, and lets not forget that he's a rookie with almost no experince in the North American Hockey style and rink size. He'll get much better till next year.

Nosferatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 11:02 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatos View Post
Oh, and lets not forget that he's a rookie with almost no experince in the North American Hockey style and rink size. He'll get much better till next year.
I don't think anyone doubts his skill level, or even his compete level. I mean we've watched him on the wing of a 20 year old rookie that the long season has run into the ground, and another playmaking winger that is struggling to find a consistent NHL game.

We know Zucc has great hands and real good vision, but at his size he's going to need his skating to go through the roof in order to find the time and space to use that. Look at St. Louis or Gionta, it's the skating that sets their game apart from Zucc's right now.

If he can add that speed to his skills, he'll be a long time NHLer.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 11:30 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Sure Zuc has cooled down a bit -- but lets be fair here. Nathan Gerbe has around 50 games and 26 points. Zuc has 22 points in 40 games. Yes Gerbe might be a bit better defensively but the point remains.

One of the issues is that he has no finisher on his line. I would like to see Zuc's on a line with Gaborik. The problem with that is you're going to need a defensively responsible center. Maybe Boyle or Anisimov? Prospal's skating won't allow him to be that center.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 11:33 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatos View Post
Yes I've watched every game and it's almost always Gaborik, Calla or Dubi on the ice when the opponent scores. Just a small week ago the calla-dubi line let in 5 goals and scored only 1, 5 goals!
MZA is nowhere near as defensivly capable as dubinsky and callahan. had to get that out of the way. and in case you didnt know gaborik doesnt play with calli or dubi, gaborik is on the ice for some ugly goals, dubi and cali both play the pk and when were loosing play a lot of minutes and thus have goals scored upon them but their nowhere near as bad defensively as MZA's line.

oh and as of a 10 days ago to now callahan has had 7 points and dubinsky 6.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 11:38 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Sure Zuc has cooled down a bit -- but lets be fair here. Nathan Gerbe has around 50 games and 26 points. Zuc has 22 points in 40 games. Yes Gerbe might be a bit better defensively but the point remains.

One of the issues is that he has no finisher on his line. I would like to see Zuc's on a line with Gaborik. The problem with that is you're going to need a defensively responsible center. Maybe Boyle or Anisimov? Prospal's skating won't allow him to be that center.
Anisimov would be great there, but I don't want to break up the Pack line.

I wouldnt mind trying Boyle in that spot for a game to see how it goes.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 12:10 PM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGBleedBlueNYR View Post
Fwiw I think WW has had VERY good effort on D since his scratch.
I completely agree. I think people are just jumping on the bandwagon when it comes to criticizing WW and not actually watching him play.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 12:13 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Torts clearly chooses to go with the guys that he trusts 100%. Zucc is a rookie. I have no problem with Torts limiting his ice-time along with Stepan's during crunch time, tbh.

And aside from that horrible turnover against the Pens, I wouldn't call him a liability either. He backchecks everytime.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Norwegian
Pitbull Sniper

oh and as of a 10 days ago to now callahan has had 7 points and dubinsky 6.[/QUOTE]

--
and Mza has 3 with a third of the ice time.

And has been on the ice on 1 goal against. Dubi and callahan has not been good in their own zone, but still they have been the best players as of late. But to say that the wolski-stapan-zucc line is a liability on defence is just wrong. wolski+11 stepan+6 mza+5 .. They may be giving up some chances but they very seldom let in goals. unlike dubi and callahan who has been on the ice for the majority of the goals against 5 on 5. The icetime is ofcourse an factor here to. but in some games, like that -4 game, they have been terrible. And much more a liability than the w2-step-mza line.

I do agree that MZA hasent been playing great the last few games. But i belive his sudden drop in icetime is a big factor in that. The fact that it happend when he was on a hot "streak" (3 in 2) and suddenly got his icetime cut in half didnt help his confidence it seems. he didnt shoot the puck once the next 2 games.

Maybe he should rest a game or 2 but i belive he has earned a spot on the team. But I would love a line chance, Gaborik has steped it up the last few games (not counting last nights first period) . and i really belive he and mza could find some chemestry and if they do it will be magical let Boyle or anisimov center them and i think/hope youll get an awesome line, atleast a very fun line to watch.

(Excuse the english)

Norwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 12:40 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Serious question, do you watch the games(every game)or just read the stat sheets. Because it's been said a million times stats dont tell the whole story. Dubinsky-anisimov-Callahan has been our best defensive line the entire season without a fraction of a doubt, it's not even debatable. The pack line may have nore goals against in general, but the line zucca is on gives up a ****ton more chances and at bad times in the games.

Oh and btw the pack line players the bulk of the minutes against every teams stars, the zucca line plays mainly offensive minutes against 3/4th line scrubs.

Old
03-25-2011, 01:04 PM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
His game has dropped off as of late, but that's kind of expected due to being a rookie and playing on a different sized table.

To the OP: Submit your application to the NHL, you have a future writing articles for their site.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 01:15 PM
parlate2000

Press box

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
I guess I'm ahead of the curve again
Didn't he respond with some decent games last time u wanted him scratched?

Nevertheless: I think he needs resting. He's hardly visible at present. He checks ok - and imo isn't that much of a defensive liability, but he doesn't deliever much up front. Last nights contribution: a shot and one (1) neat backpass in the middle of the second.

Let's face it. He's had a roller coaster season. Not making the roster. Then entering with some sensational shoot out goals and the game winner against the canes.

And now - He just looks out of place.

I agree: He needs to get his skating going. I'd like to see him deliever his offensive skills at a higher pace.

The guy's got a big heart. I hope he's not done for the season - but I don't like watching him reduced to what he is today. A smallsized fourth liner who looks like he lacks confidence.

parlate2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 01:18 PM
satrabyk

Anybodey who has to play with a **** like W2 would not look to good. I wouldint take Zucc out as hes atleast effective on PP, W2 is the guy i want gone. A Zucc-Gaborik line would not work, Zucc needs guys who like to get there hands dirty in the corners in a 5 on 5 situation, gabs in avoiding physicality any way possible.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 03:20 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Anybodey who has to play with a **** like W2 would not look to good. I wouldint take Zucc out as hes atleast effective on PP, W2 is the guy i want gone. A Zucc-Gaborik line would not work, Zucc needs guys who like to get there hands dirty in the corners in a 5 on 5 situation, gabs in avoiding physicality any way possible.
Zuccarello's been pretty much invisible for the past 7 games. It isn't one player's fault.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 03:23 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Rangers sure have missed Avery. Yup. Bigtime.

If he does come back tomorrow and offers nothing other than sort of running a goalie, he should not dress again this season.
IMO Avery responded well last time he was scratched when he got in against the Islanders...but canceled out any good he did with his late penalty and bought himself a seat back in the press box. I'll be really surprised if Torts doesn't give Avery another game or two before the season ends...he's the type of guy that can really help in a playoff series when he's under control (think about when we beat Atlanta). He can also be a huge detriment when he's not (Washington) and I'm sure Torts will not be going to Avery in crunch time of a game no matter what.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Bulls9220

How many minutes did he get in the third? oh thats right 0

Bulls9220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 04:30 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Given their play in the last 7 games or so I'd take w2 over zucca. He's been invisible on a nightly basis, don't get me wrong I like both guys equally but w2 has played better; the line as a whole hasn't worked.

Old
03-25-2011, 06:31 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

the problem here is the Zuccarello-Aasen needs time and space to be an effective player. he needs to be towards the middle of the ice. the Rangers play a game that leans heavily on board play, and grinding. I dont think MZA is the right kind of player for this team.

just my frank honest opinion.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 07:11 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
the problem here is the Zuccarello-Aasen needs time and space to be an effective player. he needs to be towards the middle of the ice. the Rangers play a game that leans heavily on board play, and grinding. I dont think MZA is the right kind of player for this team.

just my frank honest opinion.
I see where you're coming from but with that logic this team will never have skill players...players who can make plays. We need more Zucca type players...just give him time. Ideally you would want players with more size than a Zuc, but this team lacks the skill set he has to offer.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 07:20 PM
Slayem
Lucky Zuke

I think he now suffers from bad summer training. He didnt run or cycle last summer due to jumpes knee. Remember at the training camp, who was hanging over the boards puking? In such a bad shape you cant expect to last an entire season,especially not in NHL. Lets hope he arrives at the next traing camp with a completely different foundation.

Slayem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 07:21 PM
Vitto79

he's a rook, not worried he'll bounce back

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 07:30 PM
TollefsenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
Zuc has actually been pretty terrible IMO. He is the main reason that line's production is come to a halt. He is making bad decisions with the puck (i.e. bad passes, not shooting), not creating scoring chances like he previously was, and just being overwhelmed by other bigger players.

Maybe he has hit the wall. How long are the seasons in the Swedish Elite League?
Well not long ago peeps very talking about sending zuce down. Then he scored 3 goals in two games. Now he stopped producing goals and u guys start again. I would rather do something about avery then zuce. I bet zuce will improve if tort is patient with him

TollefsenFan is offline   Reply With Quote